• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Rep: Pikmin 3, NSMBU, Nintendo Land will ship in 720p (Pikmin 3 is 60fps)

apana

I'm fairly certain that NSMB will be 60 FPS. Pikmin looks great and NSMB looks very good so I am content with 60 FPS and 720p. Don't you need kind of a big television to see the difference anyways?

Why afraid of it? 720P at 60fps or a steady 30fps is more than current gen games are doing. Hopefully all first party games will be 60fps.
I'm sure if they optimise the games more, 1080P is possible. But for me it's important that IF they do 720P, they use GOOD ANTI ALIASSING.... and maybe some extra effects :)

I was hoping for 1080p from at least 1st party games, but seemingly games are stuggling to reach 720p apparently on other systems.

But why do I see so many PS3 and 360 games with 1080p on the box? Upscaled I guess? False advertising much?

Hopefully Nintendo is honest (along with 3rd parties) and will say what the NATIVE res is on their boxes.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If the leaked specs are true, -- are they intentionally holding back?

No. If the leaked specs are true 720p proper is exactly what you'd shoot for.

The problem is nobody is using the free MSAA coming from the 32 megs of embedded ram built into the GPU if you go with 720p for your resolution.

No legit AA in game is basically no excuse since you aren't blocked like you are on the 360 with the embedded pool not being large enough for the textures. So essentially the Halo Reach excuse is not applicable here.

That means every game 1st and 3rd party should at the very least have an extremely clean look both from the free MSAA as well as high levels of AF. We should in theory be getting topic quality IQ @ 720p.

Jump to 1080p and all bets are off.

That being said as discussed in the Wii-U specs leaked thread some people said the final kits just went out so current games IQ might not be based on the actual final kits. We shall see.

damn, i was actually pretty excited for Wii U but this doesnt bode well with me. No reason a next gen console shouldnt be releasing games in 1080p especially when the games arent even slightly graphically impressive.

I would refuse to believe Mario is 30fps. That just sounds...wrong, especially for a 2D mario.

and this is not JUST DoF right? Or maybe it is..
wiiupikmin33scrn11e3jpg-fdfc53.jpg
This at 60fps is what I like to see. Fucking gaming bliss visually on my end.

Instro

Asset reuse from Wii games maybe? Nintendo designed Wii games in 720p didn't they? These games will have a ton of AA and AF by release once implemented I bet, with all that edram.

Peagles

This whole time.. I've never been under the expectation that Wii U was supposed to be some sort of big step up. The general buzz was that it was roughly equal to PS360... Maybe a little better in some respects, maybe a little worse. I'm pretty sure that's been known this entire year...

It's a big step up compared to the Wii.. That's it.

My expectations were much the same. I'm not sure where everyone else got such high hopes from, to be honest. Maybe I just don't remember...

It's funny to see PC owners being brought up in this thread though. I like how PC owners and console owners are deemed to be mutually exclusive, lol. As a gamer who owns damn near everything, I don't expect consoles to be as powerful as my PC. I am always amazed though at what the big three (and especially Nintendo) can get out of the hardware they do use.

The way I see it, shiny graphics are a nice bonus on consoles, but at the end of the day I really don't care. If I want to ooh and aah at graphics I'll boot up my PC.

Ein Bear

I'm not really worried about framerates, if there's one thing you can rely on Nintendo for in 90% of their games, it's a rock solid 60fps.

Ridley327

Mario 64 was sub 30 iirc and Sunshine was 30.

Mario 64 actually ran at a pretty consistent 30 fps, certainly far more often than Sunshine did.

Sunshine was a damn shame because it was running at 60 fps as late as two months before the game released, but they decided to drop it down to 30 as there were areas that wouldn't go any higher, and there's still quite a bit of slowdown regardless.

v1oz

No. If the leaked specs are true 720p proper is exactly what you'd shoot for.

The problem is nobody is using the free MSAA coming from the 32 megs of embedded ram built into the GPU if you go with 720p for your resolution.

No legit AA in game is basically no excuse since you aren't blocked like you are on the 360 with the embedded pool not being large enough for the textures. So essentially the Halo Reach excuse is not applicable here.

That means every game 1st and 3rd party should at the very least have an extremely clean look both from the free MSAA as well as high levels of AF. We should in theory be getting topic quality IQ @ 720p.

Jump to 1080p and all bets are off.

That being said as discussed in the Wii-U specs leaked thread some people said the final kits just went out so current games IQ might not be based on the actual final kits. We shall see.
The GPU is probably way under clocked (to keep the small case cool) and there just isn't enough fill rate left. That can be the only logical explanation.

720p at 60 fps is great. More than happy with this. They could show their games at 600p (CoD resolution) if they'd reveal more of them, and I'd be just as happy.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The GPU is probably way under clocked (to keep the small case cool) and there just isn't enough fill rate left. That can be the only logical explanation.
Yes. If you've already decided to ignore all other logical explanations.

Alex

I'm surprised so many people expected 1080p out of this thing. That requires a fairly solid hardware bump and the Wii-U is pretty clearly around the 360ish level of potency with a few pluses and a few minuses. I'd imagine for most games running off of true blue current gen asset work that its going to be the same 30 FPS @ 720p goal posts. Pikmin 3 being 60 FPS is surprising, but probably less so since it started as a Wii game and it's asset work isn't as taxing, despite being pretty darn gussied up.

I won't be surprised if PS4/720 games are 720p either, in fact I def expect it. It's a shame (to me), but image quality and framerate stability are probably always going to take a backseat to raw assets on consoles. Would be nice to see to see a hardware maker have a contract clause that "your game must remain a stable 30 FPS 99% of the time or we are allowed to hit your hand with a hammer", though.

Radec

There are very very few games on the 360 and PS3 that run at 60 frames per second at 1280x720 res, so this is a step up from current consoles.

How is this a step up when it might not even have AA ?

Not to mention WiiU running on a higher spec hardware than the other two.

Raide

Much like the PS3 and 360, it will take a while for the Wii-U to hit its stride. Once developers get hold of it, I am sure they will be able to pull off some nice tricks. Check out what the PS3 is able to do now, against their launch line-up.

Nintendo are great developers but their clearly don't have enough experience at development in HD and all the extra tricks people have been developing over the last few years. Mario should be 1080p@60fps. There is seriously not enough going on for it not to be. Even Pikmin 3 is pretty simplistic on the graphical front, so at least that hits 60fps but it seems to be not really pushing the system.

At this point in time I am not buying a Wii-U at launch, just because they currently have no games I am honestly interested in, especially not interested enough to drop £300+ on it.

As for 3rd party games, if they can get them running at 720p at a solid 30fps, that will be great but not really a massive generational shift many expected. A give it a few months and Epic will have UE3 running on it well and most of these launch quibbles will drift away...hopefully. :D

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People also need to keep in mind that we aren't even close to release yet, either. Some more optimization could (should) be done by release.

jett

D-Member
Well, that's basically the status quo for this generation of hardware; capable of outputting 1080p, but generally most games output 720p (and I suspect we'll eventually see games rendered below 720p internally and scaled to 720p, as well). Nice to have confirmation, though.

It is the status quo, but games NSMB and NintendoLand are very simple looking, and with this machine supposedly being more powerful than the PS360 it's pretty strange.

Ein Bear

Mario 64 actually ran at a pretty consistent 30 fps, certainly far more often than Sunshine did.

Sunshine was a damn shame because it was running at 60 fps as late as two months before the game released, but they decided to drop it down to 30 as there were areas that wouldn't go any higher, and there's still quite a bit of slowdown regardless.

Huh really? I never knew that. Kind of suprised they couldn't get the whole thing running at 60, even when the game came out it's (non-water) visuals were slightly underwhelming. Was it the water effects that were so taxing or something?

EuroMIX

To the more tech savvy: is it possible that many games could be tweaked before release? For example, could AA be added in?

zroid

Banned
If the gimmick you're building your console around hinders more important factors like video quality, it's time to rethink the gimmick (or realize you dont need gimmicks to sell games. You're Nintendo. Your games sell themselves.)

According to Nintendo, video quality is more the gimmick than the controller. I offer no comment other than that this is their entire creative model, and people are just going to have to deal with it or not buy Nintendo consoles anymore.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I thought that next-gen consoles would have most games finally running natively at 1080p.

This is something I dislike about the current generation, including Vita. About 98% of games are upscaled and not running on native resolution.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Let us laugh at how Nintendo is specially incompetent when the rest of the industry is already chortling about how awesome it will be to shoot for 720p @ 30fps on next gen hardware because that's good enough.

Mr Swine

Banned
Many of you are going to be disappointed when the other next-gen consoles are released

Yeah, devs will target 720p first few years and later on move to 1080p (if they ever do it). But I guess that devs want to have as much performance as possible for good graphics at 720p which you can't do at 1080p

i do wonder how much memory the Wii U is going to have. it's not like nintendo haven't fucked up a system with too small a framebuffer buffer before. what's 1080p + the wii U game pad resolution? that might make 1080p out of the question for anything rendering to both screens.

obviously they've got to make sure NSMBU is playable on just the game pad, but that's no reason not to go 1080p.

Raide

To the more tech savvy: is it possible that many games could be tweaked before release? For example, could AA be added in?

Its certainly possible but with 6 months out from launch (if Winter is right) the Hardware has to be finalised and ready to go. Development kits are higher spec, so they can push stuff like AA onto games but that then depends if it works well on retail kits.

Mario Wii-U/Pikmin should have been slick as shit for E3. 1080p@60fps. They have had a load of time to tweak and polish that to a stunning finish.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yeah, devs will target 720p first few years and later on move to 1080p (if they ever do it). But I guess that devs want to have as much performance as possible for good graphics at 720p which you can't do at 1080p

precisely. I'm not saying there won't be 1080p games next gen but most games will likely be 720 or we might even see sub 1080p

Are people SURE that NSMBU has no AA? Because I'm looking at the screenshots from Nintendo's site, and unless they decided that a 2D Mario of all titles was the game to bullshit graphics with, it definitely does have AA.

NG3 appears to be 1080p (no AA) unless, again, Nintendo decided to bullshit for just one particular game and in one particular field. (though it's still NG3 so well).

As a PC gamer this is hilarious. If the system even used somewhat modern hardware (anything from the past 4 years) all these games should have been easily 1080p and 60fps.

Ridley327

Huh really? I never knew that. Kind of suprised they couldn't get the whole thing running at 60, even when the game came out it's (non-water) visuals were slightly underwhelming. Was it the water effects that were so taxing or something?

I think that was part of it, but the whole game had a rushed production, so it likely wasn't going to be possible with the time they had. I sure can't imagine that they wouldn't have had to rely on so many blue coins for shines if they actually had time to do anything.

jett

D-Member
TTT2 on Wii U -still- being subHD like the PS360 versions is really weird. 7 friggin' years later than the 360, the GPU on this machine has got to be more capable. That game is really awful when it comes to resolution incidentally. The more characters on screen, the more it drops.

Top Bottom