• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Rep: Pikmin 3, NSMBU, Nintendo Land will ship in 720p (Pikmin 3 is 60fps)

qq more

Personally, I don't really understand NSMBU as a launch game. It doesn't show off the second screens capabilities or the console's technical prowess. Seems like a poor choice to justify a new system.

Actually, the game does take advantage of the second screen (and also the social aspects of the Wii U's online). There's a multiplayer mode where a player with a gamepad can make platforms on the pad's screen.

But yeah, I don't mind NSMB U being a launch title (NSMB is a system seller anyways) but what was truly baffling was that there is NO 3D Mario shown at the conference in any way.

EDIT: Thought that mode was called Boost mode but now that I think about it... that doesn't make a lick of sense. :/ Was it really called Boost Mode or was that for something else?

jett

D-Member
yeah, it's rubbish that 1080 is better than 720

you would need a tv bigger than 50 inches to really benefit from the extra detail that 1080 brings or sit really close to the tv !!!

It's 6 years ago. My time machine works!

Durante

So is this good news or bad news or what? I'd like an answer from a realist.
If the console was even a half-step up from PS360 it should easily manage to render these games at 1080p.
So I'd say it's bad news if true, regardless of what the actual reason for them not running in 1080p is (low-spec hardware or incompetent usage of said hardware or simple unwillingness/lack of care). The only exception would be in case it's just unfinished and will change for the final version -- but console game IQ exceedingly rarely gets better at release.

I wonder if the 720p standard has something to do with it being down scalable to the Wii U controller? What is the resolution on the Wii U controller, anyway?

Instro

I honestly expected NSMBU to run at 1080p...

Doesn't Rayman Origins run at 1080p on PS3 and 360, or at least do something fancy to make it seem like it is? Will Legends run at 1080p (same method or otherwise) on WiiU? Would be a shame if it didn't :/

Though not a massive issue if it doesn't I guess.

The UbiArt Framework is designed specifically for 1080p.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
That Mario screenshot is strange. Lots of it is AA'd well, but there's also some really obvious aliasing (look at Luigi's legs). I can only assume some post-processing thing.
Likewise with Pikmin - part of the AA there is from the DOF, other in-focus parts have none, and still other in-focus parts have what seems like proper multi-sampled AA. I'm starting to suspect compositing techniques here..

Ein Bear

Why dont they include a scaler like the Xbox 360 has. Then everyone can run it at what res they want. I know it's not true 1080P but at least it's better than nothing.

smh

Nobody's saying it doesn't have one? The rep specifically said that 720p was the resolution that the games were being natively rendered in, the console could still well have a scaler.

The Boat

Isn't is possible that NSMBU runs at 720p because it has to handle 4 characters at the same time and streaming to a pad at the same time?

Durante

Likewise with Pikmin - part of the AA there is from the DOF, other in-focus parts have none, and still other in-focus parts have what seems like proper multi-sampled AA. I'm starting to suspect compositing techniques here..
It could be somewhat like DKCR, rendering the characters to separate buffers and then those to the screen to prevent clipping, but then why enable AA for some of those buffers and not others?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It's not a huge deal to me, but it would have been nicer if we were talkin 1080p at 60 for all three titles. I now expect some serious visual effects in NSMBU

Raide

Isn't is possible that NSMBU runs at 720p because it has to handle 4 characters at the same time and streaming to a pad at the same time?

4 players and that amount of detail does not look taxing at all, especially since it is supposed to be a better 360/PS3. I am not sure what the tech is for the Wii-U but surely Nintendo though about that when they made the console and built the pad around it? Depending on how much work the console has to do to push that to the controller, that sounds like a perfect excuse for 3rd party developers to not use the controller in meaningful ways.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Oh come on! To defend nintendo and wiiu people is capable to justify in 2012 a "next generation" console running pikmin, mario etc at 720p!
Damn we are not talking about god of war! If this is the start...

I'll be disappointed if NSMB isn't 60fps, but I think it will be in the end.

Higher resolution and cleaner IQ is great, but its far from essential to making an enjoyable game for me. I do hope they strive for 1080p/60 on future 2D games (and I'll gladly take 720p for 60fps on future 3D titles) though.

Pikmin 3 looks clean enough for me as is.

Ridley327

4 players and that amount of detail does not look taxing at all, especially since it is supposed to be a better 360/PS3. I am not sure what the tech is for the Wii-U but surely Nintendo though about that when they made the console and built the pad around it? Depending on how much work the console has to do to push that to the controller, that sounds like a perfect excuse for 3rd party developers to not use the controller in meaningful ways.

I would honestly chalk it up to the team not being experienced with HD development and having to work on a tight deadline. I don't think there's really anything else that needs to be said about it.

BlackJace

Oh come on! To defend nintendo and wiiu people is capable to justify in 2012 a "next generation" console running pikmin, mario etc at 720p!
Damn we are not talking about god of war! If this is the start...

This post is incoherent. Please try again.

what the fuck are you saying?

Aroo

Neo Member
Not sure why people are freaking out.

Games on XBOX and PS3 run at a lower resolution and are upscaled. For all we know they're natively 720P and can be upscaled to 1080P and look much better than a game on XBOX/PS3 upscaled to 720P or 1080P.

Not enough info to freak out...yet..

The Boat

I think someone just forgot to check a box in the code.
Ah that explains it.

i refuse to believe that having 4 players on screen isn't taxing. There's a lot going on in the trailer.
I'm not saying that this couldn't be done in 1080, maybe it could, but I'm thinking that there's not as little to it visually as people are saying, especially if it runs at 60 fps (which I know isn't confirmed).
EDIT: To make it clear, I'm not saying this is pushing the system.

Raide

I would honestly chalk it up to the team not being experienced with HD development and having to work on a tight deadline. I don't think there's really anything else that needs to be said about it.

I can understand the experience bit but they must have been playing around with a tech demo of this since some Wii-U alpha kit first appeared in front of Reggie.

I am sure it will be a solid Mario game and it will sell millions of units but it does nothing for me as a gamer.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
How can Wii U handle Trine 2 better than PS360, yet not run NSMBU at 60 fps? This makes no sense.

Unless it's the Nintendo way of thinking "Some people will play with two Pads and they will be restricted to 30, so we will make the experience the same for everyone!"
Actually, yeah that makes sense, it's the kind of ass-backwardness that I've come to expect. Sometimes it's hard to like Nintendo games D:

Ridley327

How can Wii U handle Trine 2 better than PS360, yet not run NSMBU at 60 fps? This makes no sense.

Unless it's the Nintendo way of thinking "Some people will play with two Pads and they will be restricted to 30, so we will make the experience the same for everyone!"
Actually, yeah that makes sense, it's the kind of ass-backwardness that I've come to expect. Sometimes it's hard to like Nintendo games D:

I think people are reading way too much into that "some of these games are 60 fps" too much; I don't doubt for a second that NSMBU is running at 60 fps now, let alone launch day.

But in any case, FrozenByte are certainly far more experienced with this kind of tech.

PC owners and console owners

eHVB3.gif

What movie is this? The art is awesome.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Because development has never been that straight foward. There aren't magical buttons that simply let games run at max hell you can have a system be using all of it's power and yet not wisely.

qq more

No where did the article said NSMB U will not run 60FPS.

"However, the representative said that some of those titles, like Pikmin 3, will run at 60 frames per second."

keyword: SOME OF THOSE

Hey, guys, guys. NSMBU is 60FPS. I recorded the Spike TV broadcast of the E3 presser and watched it on a whim last night after watching the thing live on Nintendo's stream, and the difference was readily apparent. Same thing with BLOPS2, actually; the streams of Microsoft's presser showed it in 30FPS, then I got home while my brother was watching a recording of Spike TV's coverage of it, and that, too, was in 60FPS. So, seriously, stop worrying about it. Worry about the fact it's not 1080p, which is pretty lame, frankly.

Of course, I'll note that while NSMBU was 60FPS, Pikmin 3 was very much 30FPS. I guess they've updated the build since whatever they were showing off at E3 or something? I dunno, I don't get it. I'll welcome 60FPS there, though.

Also, NintendoLand (for what little I'd managed to record of it) and Scribblenauts Unlimited were 60FPS, too (well, some shots of Scribblenauts had slowdown, but it was definitely running at 60FPS at points).

Ryoku

LOL, 720p. Later, Nintendo, it's been swell. Been rocking 1080p on my (midrange) PC since 2010 and haven't looked back.

The thought of me paying hundreds of dollars to regress back to 720p, in 2012:

tumblr_lt93o7DF6i1qbqdik.gif

As an avid PC gamer, even I can understand the appeal in buying a Nintendo console. Really, if all you're focusing on is resolution, then I don't know what to say. I'll be buying PC versions of multiplatform games (unless there is something really compelling on the Wii U version). Aside from that, Wii U will be my go-to console (hopefully) for everything that's on consoles, and isn't on PC.

watershed

Banned
Pikmin looks nice but it doesn't look as nice as it should. The textures are solid from the standard camera angle but in a few off-screen vids the textures get blurry. Aside from that the depth of field thing is nice but other areas look a little lacking like the objects and the water.

Log4Girlz

Pikmin looks nice but it doesn't look as nice as it should. The textures are solid from the standard camera angle but in a few off-screen vids the textures get blurry. Aside from that the depth of field thing is nice but other areas look a little lacking like the objects and the water.

It looks to me that they took a nearly finished Wii game, added some nicer textures (perhaps the source textures the Wii version was drawing from), a few more tacked on effects and the rest of the time has been polishing play with the pad. No effort graphically past that.

TUROK

It looks to me that they took a nearly finished Wii game, added some nicer textures (perhaps the source textures the Wii version was drawing from), a few more tacked on effects and the rest of the time has been polishing play with the pad. No effort graphically past that.
Those poly counts are beyond what the Wii can do as well.

watershed

Banned

Yeah prettty much and here I was thinking all that development time would go towards making the game a visual showcase for the wii u. Silly me!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This rep doesn't seem to know what he's talking about, or the interviewer transcribed it incorrectly.

NSMBU is 60 fps.
Pikmin 3 is 30.

Speevy

Banned
I don't know why anyone would think that Pikmin 3 needs 60 FPS. Olimar runs around like he's bare-foot in the sand.

Glass Rebel

If they can't run Pikmin 3 at 1080p@60fps with AA why even bother with this console? This is certainly not how I wanted Nintendo to enter the HD era, even if I expected it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Also, to be sure, while NSMBU is a MASSIVE step up from its predecessor, there's very little reason to assume that it's doing anything that's remotely taxing the system.

Personally, I don't really understand NSMBU as a launch game. It doesn't show off the second screens capabilities or the console's technical prowess. Seems like a poor choice to justify a new system.

The sooner I can get it the better so yeah I'd rather have it as a launch game.

Log4Girlz

Those poly counts are beyond what the Wii can do as well.

Modest increase, nothing that wows me. Just look at the kinda "tracks" you travel in, its kinda blocky. Don't get me wrong, charming as always, but little effort on Nintendo's part. And its not even running at 1080 p.

Something is telling me that running at 1080 p is some herculean achievement for the Wii U.

tzare

If you are paying close to 300 dollars for a new piece of hardware it is normal to expect some sort of competency.

NSMBU not at 1080p/60fps is inexcusable and downright embarrassing.

This. And why should good games and good tech be incompatible. It isn't and is to be expected on new hw

acm2000

theyre choosing 720p as that enables them to get 4xAA for "free" in the edram, 1080p would have either no AA, or post processing AA

wiiu is essentially a 360 with more modern components, triple core ppc cpu, unified shader ati gpu, only they upped the edram of the 360 to 32mb to allow 720p 4xAA without tiling

Top Bottom