• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Rep: Pikmin 3, NSMBU, Nintendo Land will ship in 720p (Pikmin 3 is 60fps)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Real talk: Why were people expecting any of these games to be 1080p, when the friggin Zelda demo was itself 720p?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
More good news for Pikmin 3. My most wanted Wii U title undoubtly.

me also, will wait until this and nsmb are both on the market and pick up a unit. may try and wait a while, all console launches are horrible. the amount of titles is always pretty dire at the start and you end up buying shit to compensate. Think I'll wait on those 2 and hopefully there is another must have from reviews etc after launch.

Well, i see people claiming that as long as games are fun it is okay. It has been an old justification, especially when nintendo hw is involved.

It's not "okay", it's just not a factor in my decision in the first place. That's why I don't give a rat's ass about so-called PC gamers being all "lolololo no 1080p@60fps". I want to play some games in particular, not just any game at a given framerate/resolution.

Glass Rebel

It's not "okay", it's just not a factor in my decision in the first place. That's why I don't give a rat's ass about so-called PC gamers being all "lolololo no 1080p@60fps". I want to play some games in particular, not just any game at a given framerate/resolution.

rofl it's like 2006 all over again.

Xav

Nintendo EAD have not been good at pushing hardware since the N64 days, going to have to wait for Nintendo EAD Tokyo, Retro Studios & Monolith Soft to show their games before we start judging.

Luigiv

I like to think that not all PC gamers act like that, and wonder why some feel the need to preface their opinion with things like "as a PC gamer" in the first place.

2ao9E.png

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
me also, will wait until this and nsmb are both on the market and pick up a unit. may try and wait a while, all console launches are horrible. the amount of titles is always pretty dire at the start and you end up buying shit to compensate. Think I'll wait on those 2 and hopefully there is another must have from reviews etc after launch.
Zombi U. Watch this. Read this. The must buy virus will infect you.

Atcha

That's fine, most current platforms can't even do native 720p with all of the games. If the Wii U does that as a baseline, I'm happy.

It's easy to do 720p when your game is looking like a Wii Hd game. ( no troll ).

nevertheless , Pikmin run at 60 fps , it's a good news .

Glass Rebel

Well, considering Nintendo has had 6 years to exceed MS and Sony's hardware, they would seem justified in expecting 1080 p.

"It's Nintendo." There really isn't anything else to be said. They've been all talk about getting back the core gamer but don't have anything to show it.

I like to think that not all PC gamers act like that, and wonder why some feel the need to preface their opinion with things like "as a PC gamer" in the first place.

Act like what? How can you even argue that a game by fucking Nintendo on a console released in 2012 shouldn't be 1080p@60fps? It's the bare minimum I want from a developer of their calibre. But no, they're just appealing to the least common denominator once again, probably because their research shows that the market penetration for Full HD isn't that high or something. I don't know how this will ultimately play out but this doesn't really instill confidence in the console. I've learnt my lesson with the Wii so I won't be purchasing this for a while.

I'm sorry if your standards aren't that high as so-called PC gamers' but we have been running games looking better than this on higher resolutions and higher fps for years. With AA.

tzare

I'm no pc gamer, i don't even care about AA for example, but unless wiiU is sub 200€/$ it is really pathetic that in 2012, a NSMB that technically is closer to XBLA/PSN low budget games cannot run in fullHD and 60fps. I could understand it for a Metroid Prime game, but not for nsmb.
And i find it normal that if you are interested in those games you can overlook certain things, but that does not change reality

rofl it's like 2006 all over again.
yes.

marc^o^

Who is actually excited about the wii u? It looks like a current gen console with a tablet. Fuck that.
I still need to figure out how people like you can be utterly amazed by Vita... and disgusted by Wii U.
Vita has multitouch, ok. It can be played outside your house, fine. But are you disgusted by it as soon as you play it at home? It doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure if you have seen the 2 links I posted right above. If not, have a look and you'll start getting what Wii U is about.

marc^o^

Isn't that "gameplay trailer" CG though? (sadly)
It is, the game doesn't look as good as this so far (still time for polish and E3 demo may be few weeks old), but this video shows how Wii U adds new gameplay elements and TENSION to a genre we know by heart.

I still need to figure out how people like you can be utterly amazed by Vita... and disgusted by Wii U.
Vita has multitouch, ok. It can be played outside your house, fine. But are you disgusted by it as soon as you play it at home? It doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure if you have seen the 2 links I posted right above. If not, have a look and you'll start getting what Wii U is about.

What has Vita got to do with anything? We're talking about the consoles here

I don't want companies going with this cheap route and I, as many others, are already sick of the current gen.

Bring on UE4!

Kangi

As a PC gamer...

I play games because they're fun and engaging; most of the time, good graphics are just a perk. Not saying that bad graphics don't detract from a game, but that doesn't seem to be the case with these Wii U games. *shrug*

Act like what?

Pretending they can't possibly understand how one could possibly still want to buy the system and the games in this case.

How can you even argue that a game by fucking Nintendo on console released in 2012 shouldn't be 1080p@60fps?

I'm not arguing how things should be as this is pointless.

I'm sorry if your standards aren't that high as so-called PC gamers' but we have been running games looking better than this on higher resolutions and higher fps for years. With AA.

I know that, having played some of them. I don't see why this should affect my decision one way or the other.

See this is what I'm talking about. Don't go around assuming I'm ignorant of things just on the basis that I'm still interested in the system and its games.

madmackem

I wonder if the output is going to be like ps3 or 360, ie always upscaled to a res selected or only outputted to the top res the media supports.

Raide

I haven't read the entire thread but people were expecting 1080p?

That's hilarious.

Based upon the detail going on in Zelda, 720p@60fps with AA is to be expected. Throw out something like Nintendo Land and Mario-U which are really simplified and not massive amounts of detail, is expecting 1080p really out of the realms of possibility?

marc^o^

What has Vita got to do with anything? We're talking about the consoles here

I don't want companies going with this cheap route and I, as many others, are already sick of the current gen.

Bring on UE4!
Do you know Wii U games look better than the Vita games you have? If you can appreciate Vita graphics and love its games despite it, you should be able to get the concept enjoying a game is achievable whether they run on UE4 or not. I don't get this logic, it's irrational.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Well, considering Nintendo has had 6 years to exceed MS and Sony's hardware, they would seem justified in expecting 1080 p.

You really think next gen consoles are going to be running all games at 1080p?

It'll be exactly the same as this gen. Lower resolution upscaled so they can push prettier effects and more polys.

If you want 1080p guaranteed, you need a decent PC. You'll never get that from a console.

KevinCow

Banned
This. And why should good games and good tech be incompatible. It isn't and is to be expected on new hw
Well, i see people claiming that as long as games are fun it is okay. It has been an old justification, especially when nintendo hw is involved.

Can you spot the difference between the following two statements?

1) "A game can be great without impressive tech."

2) "A game cannot be great with impressive tech."

Do you know Wii U games look better than the Vita games you have? If you can appreciate Vita graphics and love its games despite it, you should be able to get the concept enjoying a game is achievable whether they run on UE4 or not. I don't get this logic, it's irrational.

Vita is a HANDHELD! And I've sold my Vita, same with 3ds.

Handhelds are just not for me. Bought a PC because Im sick of current gen. There's hardly any games at e3 that excite me, everything feels like same old same old

You really think next gen consoles are going to be running all games at 1080p?

It'll be exactly the same as this gen. Lower resolution upscaled so they can push prettier effects and more polys.

If you want 1080p guaranteed, you need a decent PC. You'll never get that from a console.

It's very possible Durango/Orbis will move to 1080P as a standard, though not set in stone.

Of course I assume you'll continue to get the fudging we get around the 720P line now, I'm just talking about the general baseline.

Amir0x

Banned

Handhelds are just not for me. Bought a PC because Im sick of current gen. There's hardly any games at e3 that excite me, everything feels like same old same old

i'm so surprised, you should have had the paradigms shifted the shit out under you after seeing the ASTONISHING potential of the Wii U pad. Think about it. Zombies are coming at you in Zombie Wii U, you're getting really fuckin' intense... and then BAM! You jump out of your seat, screaming. Your Wii U Pad's controller battery has just died after 2 hours of play. You're like "what the fuck" as you rummage through your draw lookin' for that extra set of batteries as a zombie feasts on your brain on the screen. The Wii U pad is doin' nothing because it's dead, but I mean... damn, right? It's what you've been waiting for. How many other consoles can replicate this experience as well? None. It's exactly the type of thing Nintendo was talking about when they decided to innovate us once again.

marc^o^

I agree with you saying everything feels the same old. Will better graphics change this feeling? Watching the beautiful Star Wars 1313 gameplay session, I still had the "been there done that" feeling I had while playing Uncharted 3.

This is why I like Wii U's direction, it opens new horizons , it breaks the mold the industry is stucked in.

About your HANDHELD comment, it doesn't change one thing about the contradiction I highlighted.

Septimius

I'm OK with Pikmin being 720p, and Nintendo Land. Most things can stay like that, it's OK, really. 720p is a good enough resolution. It's the 480 atrocity with the Wii that's not OK, but I won't get a Nintendo console for mindblowing graphics ever. Take a game like Xenoblade. Fantastic graphics. The only thing I notice is that I wish the textures were higher quality, which hopefully will be remedied with more space on the new medium, and the Wii U being powerful enough to handle. Other than that, it's not a graphical marvel, but it's a really pretty game. That's enough for me, and 720p is more than enough for that.

Dark Souls is pretty fantastic graphics, but that's 720p, isn't it? I'd say there's more to be had by making a pretty game 720p than having a bland game be 1080p. We're past the time where AA and the amount of pixels is all that matters. Now it's down to how you utilize it.

What I don't get, however, is why NSBWU isn't 1080p. It's not a pretty game. It's a 2.5D Mario game with pretty backgrounds. Full AA and 1080p is the least they can do to make it a little bit better. There's nothing demanding in those graphics.

Glass Rebel

Pretending they can't possibly understand how one could possibly still want to buy the system and the games in this case.

I think everybody understands but it's frustrating to hear the same tired arguments from against better graphics just to justify a console purchase.

I don't know why it should be more acceptable to be okay with this than wanting more. You gotta show me some exact quote because I honestly didn't see anybody telling others not to buy the Wii U because of this. On the other hand, as soon as someone this thread with a negative opinion he was instantly labeled a troll. Are people hurt because he thinks he has higher standards? I don't get it.

I know that, having played some of them. I don't see why this should affect my decision one way or the other.

See this is what I'm talking about. Don't go around assuming I'm ignorant of things just on the basis that I'm still interested in the system and its games.

I'm neither saying it should affect your decision nor that you're ignorant. Don't even know how you got that impression from my post. I'm just stating what I am accustomed to and what I expect/want from new hardware in 2012. Do you feel offended by that?

Raide

Did Zelda have either of those things?

Not 100% sure based upon the footage shown. Not even sure if one of the sites did a tear down of it or not but it sounds like the mark Nintendo should be aiming for it they truly wanted to impress people. Zelda fans would be all over it and non-Zelda/Wii-U fans might actually take the machine seriously.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Seeing that most games on Wii U don't even have AA, I'm not expecting too much anymore.

That Wii U tablet controller must be a huge bottleneck for the system.

tzare

Can you spot the difference between the following two statements?

1) "A game can be great without impressive tech."

2) "A game cannot be great with impressive tech."
Yes. Can you understand that when you buy new hardware you may expect improvements that match current standards? What you said is a 2006 excuse. We all know what happenned with Wii in the long term too. But if that makes you feel better for the money you may spend on this, good for you.
what I don't get, however, is why NSBWU isn't 1080p. It's not a pretty game. It's a 2.5D Mario game with pretty backgrounds. Full AA and 1080p is the least they can do to make it a little bit better. There's nothing demanding in those graphics.
this. People are obsessed in defending nintendo no matter what.

Taiser

720p will be standard for WiiU next gen games, but current gen ports like ACIII, BatmanAC, NG3 etc. will all run in 1080p/60fps/16xAA etc. due to the superior hardware.

Glass Rebel

Based upon the detail going on in Zelda, 720p@60fps with AA is to be expected. Throw out something like Nintendo Land and Mario-U which are really simplified and not massive amounts of detail, is expecting 1080p really out of the realms of possibility?

If this was a somewhat reasonable company it wouldn't be. Personally I think that Nintendo don't need that much horsepower as others to hit the point of diminishing return thanks to the artstyle of their franchises but it doesn't look like they're willing to take the plunge just yet.

I agree with you saying everything feels the same old. Will better graphics change this feeling? Watching the beautiful Star Wars 1313 gameplay session, I still had the "been there done that" feeling I had while playing Uncharted 3.

This is why I like Wii U's direction, it opens new horizons , it breaks the mold the industry is stuck in.

About your HANDHELD comment, it doesn't change one thing about the contradiction I highlighted.

i think it will. It has been the same for all the gens so far. At the end of PS1 cycle I got sick of PS one games, same with ps2/xbox generation. People get excited for the new generation because of the new tech. If the next gen games will look like the FF tech demo then we're in for a real treat. Playing a game with basically CGI graphics really ups the experience.

KevinCow

Banned

I don't understand. Are you sick of the current gen because the graphics aren't pretty enough, or are you sick or the current gen because the games are getting too samey? Because you say it's the first, but you imply it's the second.

If it's the second, prettier graphics won't fix that. Star Wars 1313 may be technically impressive, but it's still another damn Uncharted clone. If you're looking for new and interesting gameplay, or just anything that isn't a cinematic shooter, you might consider checking into lower budget games, like indie PC games or those you might find on console downloadable services. But I suppose these titles are generally not the tech showpieces that you require for entertainment.

Raide

If this was a somewhat reasonable company it wouldn't be. Personally I think that Nintendo don't need that much horsepower as others to hit the point of diminishing return thanks to the artstyle of their franchises but it doesn't look like they're willing to take the plunge just yet.

Fair enough. That does make sense. Seems strange to jump into HD and not be able to fully back that up with games. Are they hoping some 3rd Party is brave enough to throw a load of cash at one project to show off Nintendo tech?

If I was a Developer or Publisher, I would be a little concerned that the Hardware people were not pulling out the big guns to show off something.

KevinCow

Banned
Yes. Can you understand that when you buy new hardware you may expect improvements that match current standards? What you said is a 2006 excuse. We all know what happenned with Wii in the long term too. But if that makes you feel better for the money you may spend on this, good for you.

Christ, you're thick.

I was responding to you saying this:

You said:
And why should good games and good tech be incompatible.

As if you think that's a thing people actually believe.

TUROK

Likewise with Pikmin - part of the AA there is from the DOF, other in-focus parts have none, and still other in-focus parts have what seems like proper multi-sampled AA. I'm starting to suspect compositing techniques here..
A lot of post-processing effects tend to filter away MSAA. See: Gears 1 and 2, and Mass Effect 1 on the 360.

Top Bottom