• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Rep: Pikmin 3, NSMBU, Nintendo Land will ship in 720p (Pikmin 3 is 60fps)

AllenShrz

wow, Cant believe many ppl are ok with only 720p.

I know you dont buy hardware of nintendo for the horse power but still......

720 is way too low.

Glass Rebel

Fair enough. That does make sense. Seems strange to jump into HD and not be able to fully back that up with games. Are they hoping some 3rd Party is brave enough to throw a load of cash at one project to show off Nintendo tech?

If I was a Developer or Publisher, I would be a little concerned that the Hardware people were not pulling out the big guns to show off something.

That's what everybody in this thread on the "not okay" side is afraid of I think. We've been hearing that the Wii U has better hardware all the time and while I somewhat believe it there's nothing out there showing it off. It's a complete repeat of the Wii situation with late ports and games that look about on par with what the current generation has to offer.

tzare

Real talk: Why were people expecting any of these games to be 1080p, when the friggin Zelda demo was itself 720p?

Christ, you're thick.

I was responding to you saying this:

As if you think that's a thing people actually believe.
Well regarding some people answers yes, people seem to forget that good tech and good game aren''t exclusive. I am sure people are aware of that, but they post like they aren't.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
720 is way too low.

That's the thing, for most people it isn't. A vast amount of people don't even understand that HDTV =/= HD content. They plug their composite cables in and think they are watching in HD.

I get that a lot of gamers care but 720p is more than enough for the average consumer, and they are the priority.

Log4Girlz

You really think next gen consoles are going to be running all games at 1080p?

It'll be exactly the same as this gen. Lower resolution upscaled so they can push prettier effects and more polys.

If you want 1080p guaranteed, you need a decent PC. You'll never get that from a console.

Oh I expect Durango and PS4 to run at 720 p, with something like 20 times the detail of Pikmin 3 naturally. Something that simple has no excuse to run at 720 p.

Kenka

I haven't read the entire thread but people were expecting 1080p?

That's hilarious.
Last year, Reggie bragged about WiiU outputting at 1080p. Now their flagship titles that are barely anything more than Wii up-ports are 720p. This is not as critical bullshit as some other (non-)news of this E3 but it still is stinky, sticky bullcrap of Santander, amigo.

vanty

That's the thing, for most people it isn't. A vast amount of people don't even understand that HDTV =/= HD content. They plug their composite cables in and think they are watching in HD.

I get that a lot of gamers care but 720p is more than enough for the average consumer, and they are the priority.
Most gamers that claim to care about 1080p probably sit too far away from their too small TV to even see a difference between 720 and 1080.

zoukka

I expect a lot of devs following Nintendos suite venturing into next-gen. The masses won't sure as hell know the difference between 720p and 1080p and it allows you to do so much more in the lower res.

Personally I'd love to see native content on my diplays, but I won't delude myself.

luffeN

Damn, and I was happy when Miyamoto mentioned the higher resolution for Pikmin 3 and about zooming out the camera etc. and I instantly thought "Nice, 1080p!" :(

Log4Girlz

Going to 720 p or lower is usually an attempt by developers to push as much detail as possible with their engines. Yeah, I'm not seeing any detailed graphics on the Wii U ...yet

Kenka

Most gamers that claim to care about 1080p probably sit too far away from their too small TV to even see a difference between 720 and 1080.
I am not sure if you really believe in that: the difference between 1080p and 720p is pretty visible, especially if the action on screen is fast moving. To lean on your side, it is true that in SMBU the backgrounds are mostly static and the action is in 2D. But still, it would have been nice.

1080p/60FPS is rare enough on current HD gen, it could have been a noticeable, not so expensive feature to implement to show visible difference in graphics between WiiU and the HD twins to the CoD average aficionado.

I think it's an occasion gone wasted.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
proper 720p looks great on most sized TVs, and its a hell of a lot better than we're used to with wii so there are positives.

Next gen with PS4/720 I'd accept 720 with lots of AA (and being consoles, hopefully they have efficient AA methods planned into them from the off, suitable for deferred rendering etc, rather than the limited and often brute force approaches used by PC GPUs)

I do think we'll get a decent amount of 1080p from PS4 though. Assuming sony are pushing for 3D support in at least their first party games, that'll need 720p/120 (frame packed into a 720p/60 image). So a 2D mode would be able to handle 1080p/60 pretty well, and 1080p/30 no problem.

Anyone played Sonic Generations on ps3 and on pc at 1080p? The difference is actually huge, much bigger than I expected considering its just a console port

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Going to 720 p or lower is usually an attempt by developers to push as much detail as possible with their engines. Yeah, I'm not seeing any detailed graphics on the Wii U ...yet

yeah, Nintendo land, SMBU and P-100 should even go to native 1080p like many similiar looking PSN/XBLA games

also this

Originally Posted by Quaz51 View Post
Pikmin3, Lego city, New SMBU, WiiFitU, Game&Wario, Nintendo land, Avengers, Tank Tank!, Project P-100
all are 720p no AA

What with the lack of antialiasing in this 2012 hardware?

Log4Girlz

yeah, Nintendo land, SMBU and P-100 should even go to native 1080p like many similiar looking PSN/XBLA games

also this

What with the lack of lack of antialiasing in this 2012 hardware?

The lack of AA is probably the lack of the embedded RAM in the devkits used to run the games, or if they were there, it hadn't been codded yet to take advantage of the RAM.

probably

Turrican3

How can you even argue that a game by fucking Nintendo on a console released in 2012 shouldn't be 1080p@60fps? It's the bare minimum I want from a developer of their calibre.
Bare minimum?
Most developers will push details anyway, sacrificing framerate/smoothness, and this isn't changing anytime soon, not even on nextgen console hardware. Also let's not forget we're talking about tens of millions of people who aren't even able to tell the difference between a 30 and a 60fps game... no wonder developers avoid to worry about that (as this probably makes their lives easier, too)

Since I strongly favour high framerates over detail, I'm completely fine with Nintendo going the 720p route IF that's the price I have to pay for having lots of first/second party efforts running @60fps, like they did on the Wii.

To each its own, I guess.

Glass Rebel

Last year, Reggie bragged about WiiU outputting at 1080p. Now their flagship titles that are barely anything more than Wii up-ports are 720p. This is not as critical bullshit as some other (non-)news of this E3 but it still is stinky, sticky bullcrap of Santander, amigo.

Yeah, Reggie is full of crap anyway and I wouldn't listen to him talking about tech.

Durante

The Zelda demo was 720p, no AA.

Real talk: Why were people expecting any of these games to be 1080p, when the friggin Zelda demo was itself 720p?
Because they are a lot simpler graphically than Zelda?

to be fair, TRUE 720p as a baseline would be a big step up from this gen.
For games that look like the 3 discussed in this thread? No. I'm the first to shit on PS360 and their sub-hd games, but stuff of this visual complexity is always at least 720p.

TUROK

to be fair, TRUE 720p as a baseline would be a big step up from this gen.
Not that big. Most 360/PS3 games run at 1280x720. 720p and 60 FPS, though? That's another story.

Most games running at 60 FPS on the 360 either run at sub 720p, or use a dynamic resolution.

Cygnus X-1

I don't have to change my TV till PS4/Xbox3, good.

One of the problems right now in my opinion is that Nintendo has zero experience in developing HD games. It will take a while to see some great looking games.

Exception is going to be Retro. And not because they are better (they are); but because they hired people that already worked on HD games since long time and this will make the learning curve a lot faster.

Here i thought the most important aspect of a game is how it feels to play.

Apparently, it's all about resolution numbers.

What i don't understand are those that care for high resolutions yet still play on console. Doesn't make any sense at all.

NBtoaster

What i don't understand are those that care for high resolutions yet still play on console. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Because not everything can be played on a pc.

They'd at least treat the consoles with the same derision.

That surely then proves the necessity for wii-u, i won't be having these experiences anywhere else.

The magpie generation, only way to describe it.

The lack of AA is probably the lack of the embedded RAM in the devkits used to run the games, or if they were there, it hadn't been codded yet to take advantage of the RAM.

probably

99% sure EDRAM has the ROPs embebed ( like in XBOX 360 ). Without ROPS you have not pixels out from the GPU. So, EDRAM should be there.

Teknoman

NSMB U is 60fps. After the handful of GAF that were at E3 played, you would think someone would have commented otherwise.

FyreWulff

People clamor for Wii HD. Nintendo releases a console that does HD. Complain that it's not HD enough.

As long as the console handles scaling to 1080p automatically like the Xbox, who fucking cares? The only 1080p games I have on the 360 are N64 ports.

And even though I have a 1080p monitor myself, 720p is still more widely adopted.

People clamor for Wii HD. Nintendo releases a console that does HD. Complain that it's not HD enough.

As long as the console handles scaling to 1080p automatically like the Xbox, who fucking cares? The only 1080p games I have on the 360 are N64 ports.

It is only hd ready like PS3 and X360 and like tvs sold five years ago. Nowadays everything is full hd: tvs, blu rays and i hope future consoles...
A full hd tv with a 720p signal, scaled or not by the console, is not showing its best image...

So what if they're not? Most 360/ps3 aren't even 720p.

This is all beside the point as well. First question should be whether the game is good. Not what's its native resolution/will it upscale.

FyreWulff

It is only hd ready like PS3 and X360 and like tvs sold five years ago, but not full hd like the blu ray films and tvs sold now...

Yeah, uh, people don't refresh TVs as often as gamers think they do.

720p native isn't even a standard this gen, and people were expecting Nintendo to jump all the way to 1080p native. Please, keep moving the goalposts.

Log4Girlz

Can you please send a letter to Nintendo to cancel the Wii U and stick with the tried and true Wii? They can re-work the chipset to output another 320x240 signal to a cheap pad and save tons of money.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
NSMB U is 60fps. After the handful of GAF that were at E3 played, you would think someone would have commented otherwise.

There were people at the show who somehow didn't know that Pikmin 3 supported the GamePad despite watching the press conference.

This is wrong.

It really isn't. Lots of 360/PS3 games are not running in true 720p.

Taiser

8Fegh.jpg

tzare

Yeah, uh, people don't refresh TVs as often as gamers think they do.

720p native isn't even a standard this gen, and people were expecting Nintendo to jump all the way to 1080p native. Please, keep moving the goalposts.

Native in games that do not require huge processing power like NSMB? sure.

Glass Rebel

So what if they're not? Most 360/ps3 aren't even 720p.

This is all beside the point as well. First question should be whether the game is good. Not what's its native resolution/will it upscale.

We can't ask the first question because nobody can give us an answer.
So we asked the second question and their answer was a slap in the face.

Effect

Curious about something. Would a game budget be different if you are shooting for 30fps compared to 60fps? If so perhaps that's why? If they don't feel something needs to be 60fps why put in the extra money and man power when 30fps is good enough for what is being shown? Could that be the thinking taking place?

Curious about something. Would a game budget be different if you are shooting for 30fps compared to 60fps? If so perhaps that's why? If they don't feel something needs to be 60fps why put in the extra money and man power when 30fps is good enough for what is being shown? Could that be the thinking taking place?

Generally games that have higher fps are less demanding graphically. Here games are 720p and 30 fps and with no AA without being Uncharted or Gears . That´s the fuss...

BlueMagic

Seems to me it's more about development cost than technical approach (with NSMBU at least). They have talked a lot in the past about the cost of HD development and how they were trying to lower it.

Danneee

I'm guessing NSMBU is 60fps except for when you have another player using the tablet controller to help you. There was some thread about the WiiU:s ability to only output 30fps per screen in those cases.
Might couse some confusion if they said it was both 30 and 60fps maybe?

Top Bottom