• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals demographics of Wii U eShop users (age ranges, 93M:7F gender ratio)

Phades

No, eShop users are - it's an important distinction.

>70% of the (connected) users visited the eshop though. 63% overall.

Pretty safe bet on where the overal majority lies in this instance. Even if the remaining 37% are 100% female, it wouldn't be enough to swing it back.

Also worth noting that a lot of people, especially kids, aren't going to be the exclusive user of the console. So that could also be skewing things if they just use the NNID of the first one to play

69wpm

This is NA only I guess? The demographic could be different in Europe and Japan. But it's still shocking how much the males dominate. At least people can shut up now that Wii U is a kiddie console.

Seems like a few other people saw it, but that gender ratio. Holy hell Batman.
Newest Nintendo Priority; get female players onto and buying things on eshop.

I'd be really curious as to finding out why female players aren't going on the eshop. I mean, they're playing and buying the same retail games..so whats up with that?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
No, eShop users are - it's an important distinction.

aren't these eshop users 90% of system owners?
I don't know how the age information is measured... is it like the old Nintendo channel and club Nintendo surveys where you state the age of the person who plays each game or is it different?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
are the ratios unusual? Do we have similar data from sony or ms?

Koren

It just says "have visited". If that's "regularly visit" that's an extremely high number, so I doubt it.
You're right, indeed. I read OP's post instead of the slide, thus my mistake.

(as for 70% being high, it depends on the definition of "regular"...)

bryehn

That M/F split sounds crazy to me, I wonder if it's a parent/child account thing...where say dad sets up the console (not being sexist here, it's just a thing dads like to do) and the family uses his account for purchases.

Het_Nkik

Not too surprising. Wii U has basically only appealed to hardcore Nintendo fans, who are primarily male.

I practically never hear girls talk about Nintendo games. They usually care about Mass Effect, Skyrim, etc.

Probably just depends on your circles. All the girls I know are all about the Nintendo.

donny2112

You're right, indeed. I read OP's post instead of the slide, thus my mistake.

(as for 70% being high, it depends on the definition of "regular"...)

In the video, he says "on a regular basis" which would indicate more than once, but then he follows it up with "many of those people are repeat" which brings into question what is meant by "regular basis." It probably is that 70+% of connected users have used the eShop at least once. His actual quote is in the OP, though.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
If the younger age percentages were higher it would be "only kids play Nintendo consoles," but because older ages have a higher percentage it's "people only buy a Nintendo console because of nostalgia" .... (besides the fact this these are eShop only numbers)

It's just a guess of course, but I'm also basing it on other information, such as the extremely low install base and the hugely skewed gender.

I have no agenda against Nintendo, I want to see them succeed as much as anybody. In order to do that, they first have to understand who they can appeal to that they aren't appealing to currently.

I dunno Playstation was released 20 years go. Maybe like the 28-33 crowd, but the core of that crowd grew up with Playstation as well.
Your guess could be just as true, but it would make for an even harder to interpret scenario of what's going on with Wii U..

DJ_Lae

The male to female ratio seems a bit high but it wouldn't completely surprise me.

The slides, however...I would be embarrassed to pass that shit up to my boss if I were tasked on creating a presentation.

Seems like a few other people saw it, but that gender ratio. Holy hell Batman.
Newest Nintendo Priority; get female players onto and buying things on eshop.

I'd be really curious as to finding out why female players aren't going on the eshop. I mean, they're playing and buying the same retail games..so whats up with that?

My wife loves the Wii U/Nintendo in general but doesn't follow news/release dates as closely as I do...if at all.

She's more than happy to play once I get a game, but she doesn't do much research. If there's a trailer for a game she's interested in, I send it to her via Facebook. And since we don't bother with separate Miis/profiles, it wouldn't know if she went on the eShop.

Phades

Thought it said 63%, and as noted above several times kids are likely to be under-represented because of the way purchases are typically handled, no?

Sorry, I fixed it before yours got in with the connected users bit.

But even so, lets just use simple numbers here.

100 people own WiiU.

63% of them use the Eshop.

Of that 93% are male. This leaves 4.41 female Eshop users. (58.59 male)

If the remaining 37% are 100% female (not likely), then that would only push that total up to 41.41 female owners leaving the split biased towards male.

The slides, however...I would be embarrassed to pass that shit up to my boss if I were tasked on creating a presentation.

Seriously...look at this one:

Untitled_zps893da537.jpg

IMO, this is not relevant data. I would guess most people buy and visit the shop with the only account linked to the console, like in my case. My kids for obvious reasons have no access and my wife´s account has no CC linked.

Don't you get annoying restrictions on Miiverse and stuff if you say you're 12 or younger? That may be why people chose to put a higher age.

donny2112

Maybe the gender gap is part of the reason for bringing purchasing eShop games to mobile? Maybe they think they could get more girls browsing (and purchasing on) the eShop if they had it on a device they were already using often, like a phone?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Sorry, I fixed it before yours got in with the connected users bit.

But even so, lets just use simple numbers here.

100 people own WiiU.

63% of them use the Eshop.

Of that 93% are male. This leaves 4.41 female Eshop users. (58.59 male)

If the remaining 37% are 100% female (not likely), then that would only push that total up to 41.41 female owners leaving the split biased towards male.
we need to agree on something with regards to the statistics. Are they percentages of all Wii U eshop users or just regular users?

I'm sure plenty of females play WiiU, but the account is registered in the boyfriend or husbands name maybe?

One explanation for the 93/7 split

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ya I just posted this in other thread:

13-17 - 5% = Wii generation
18-24 - 33% = Gamecube-N64 generation
25-34 - 46% = Snes-NES generation
35+ - 14% = NES generation

That's how I read the numbers as far as when someone began gaming ie first console. It's no surprise that Nintendo's hardcore fans would be older(60% 25+), and lets face it, that's who mostly owns a Wii U right now is hardcoe Nintendo fans.

Not a small number of people in the 33-35 age group started gaming before the NES came out... Commodore 64 ;).

Nintendo is "kiddie" confirmed?

93% of users are over the age of 18

It's the eShop, and the WiiU...core Nintendo fans are probably the primary audience for the service at the moment.
:p

I practically never hear girls talk about Nintendo games. They usually care about Mass Effect, Skyrim, etc.

Errr...
I never hear women (young, middle aged, or "old") talk about any of those games...like, ever.
Those franchises are not designed to appeal to female gamers, and the (mostly young) female consumers that do play those games are a relatively small periphery demographic that the developers barely care about.

Kazerei

Banned
Do you need a credit card to access the eShop though? I suppose kids without credit cards would be less interested in visiting the eShop, but those age demographics still seem pretty lopsided.

I'm guessing Nintendo collected the stats from NNID profiles (you set your gender, birth date, location, etc.), but I wonder if they collected just the primary profile on the console, or all the them.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BwJRojZCYAAIgOG.jpg

I wonder how that male/female breakdown takes into account households.

Almost assuredly it's tied into however the account used to access the shop is set up.

If they use multiple accounts, it would capture them all. Otherwise, only the main account.

Phades

we need to agree on something with regards to the statistics. Are they percentages of all Wii U eshop users or just regular users?

I don't follow you.

The graphic states that 63% of all owners used the Eshop (more than 70% of "connected users).

Then it went on to talk about what the breakdown of that 63% was demographically.

Or am i misinterpreting what you are asking?

Swamped

Banned
93% male? We can't have that! I'm buying myself a Wii U as soon as I pass my candidacy exam. But that's in 6 weeks...

It's interesting data even though it likely is suffering from extraneous variables that aren't being accounted for such as parents opening eshop accounts for their kids.

The gender demographics are more interesting as I'm having trouble reconciling that

IMO, this is not relevant data. I would guess most people buy and visit the shop with the only account linked to the console, like in my case. My kids for obvious reasons have no access and my wife´s account has no CC linked.

While I agree you may have one account buying things (both me and my GF have accounts on it and play on it equally, but only I do the eShop really) - that doesn't make it relevant. Even if not conclusive over who plays the games, who has the 'purchasing power' is useful info for developers/publishers.

Gestault

Almost assuredly it's tied into however the account used to access the shop is set up.

If they use multiple accounts, it would capture them all. Otherwise, only the main account.

I figured. The parents registering the main account, and it being used for several other users might skew that a bit.

Top Bottom