• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals demographics of Wii U eShop users (age ranges, 93M:7F gender ratio)

As for the age brackets, it's telling that the people who grew up playing the NES, SNES, N64, and the GCN are the majority playing on the Wii U.

Well, with the lack of 3rd party support stronger than ever, while it was always true that Nintendo consoles are for Nintendo fans it now seems to be the case more than in the past. Which is actually good news for the company, as Nintendo fans are very loyal, even if they take a little while to buy the system (see 3DS).

It really isn't in any direct competition with the PS4 and the Xbone.

Hiltz

What's funny is that back in January 2014, Iwata said that he felt Wii U's advertising wasn't doing enough to target kids, yet 2013 was pretty much dedicated to targeting kids and families. Even Donkey Kong Country and Mario Kart 8 has been aimed at kids.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
What's funny is that back in January 2014, Iwata said that he felt Wii U's advertising wasn't doing enough to target kids, yet 2013 was pretty much dedicated to targeting kids and families. Even Donkey Kong Country and Mario Kart 8 has been aimed at kids.
These kind of numbers are probably the context for Miyamoto's quotes in the EDGE interview.

Edit: also, amiibo seems like a response to the current strategy to appeal to kids not working.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The advertising campaigns or the games?

I feel the games have a lot of appeal to people who have played these series since the SNES/N64 days which would match up with males in the two most common age ranges.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

I feel the games have a lot of appeal to people who have played these series since the SNES/N64 days which would match up with males in the two most common age ranges.

Tomodachi Life's and last Holiday's Wii U commercials were definitely aimed at a younger audience. At least, it seems that for the former it's working quite well, but it's 3DS, so it's kind of off-topic here.

Hiltz

Yeah, I just meant the Wii U's TV ads have primarily been targeting kids and families , at least in North America anyway.

Here's quote from Iwata last year.

Nintendo is preparing a number of Wii U games for next year that greatly appeal to highly skilled users, but at the end of this calendar year (2013), we have quite a few offerings that can be played by the whole family, dad and the kids, or grandparents and the kids.

These kind of numbers are probably the context for Miyamoto's quotes in the EDGE interview.

Edit: also, amiibo seems like a response to the current strategy to appeal to kids not working.

Yeah, that's a good point about Amiibo. We do know that Disney Infinity and Skylanders have been most successful on Nintendo platforms, so Nintendo gamers have been buying those figurine peripherals, and those titles are of course, aimed at kids.

AmuroChan

That was my thought as well. Sure, it's "just" eShop users, but still. So much about "Nintendo is for children!!!!one"

But how many of those over 18 are like me who are just buying the games for their kids but not actually the one playing? I don't think most kids have their own credit card.

beril

Wow, the lions share of their users are over 18. Only 6% below? That one I did not expect. Kind of interesting given the societal view (deserved or not - I'm not getting into that debate) of Nintendo being the kiddy game company.

I guess it's not a full measure of whose actually playing the Wii U though, a lot of kids may do little more than pop in the game mom and dad bought them.

I don't really think the eShop accounts are necessarily very representative of the consoles userbase in general. I admit I don't actually know how multiple NNiDs on a Wii U works, but I'd assume most families only use one NNiD connected to the eShop, and if you want to tie a credit card to it it makes sense for a parent to be charge of the account

Dont know why the female stat is is surprising to some. The Wii U sales has been driven largely by enthusiasts and those who have been playing games for a very long time. Considering girls are mocked for playing video games to this very day It's no surpise there's so few.

I really doubt that this is the case (some of you are looking way too deeply into Miyamoto's weird quotes...)
I think it's quite likely that their aren't enough kids on the device (going by Nintendo's own statements and reactions) but, this data only pertains to the users on eShop and is quite limited in terms of telling us what the overall picture is for the WiiU when it comes to the question of "Who is using this thing??"

Phades

Actually assuming this is accurate

Which I think is likely [it appears to be from here]

The Wii had something like a 70% Male / 30% Female split [40M versus ~16M on that graph] so a 60/40 split seems unlikely on the Wii U as it clearly fails to attract the same number of casuals

I do think that a jump up to 93%/7% is quite high but it's probably not crazy far off considering the likely demographics buying the console

I see your point. It is still a pretty radical shift regardless. 60/40 wasn't the end all figure, and 70/30 is somewhat inline with that much like a straight up 50/50 deviation. Going more than 20% change just leaves me thinking "wow" for some reason. I suppose I'm over reacting slightly.

jimi_dini

But how many of those over 18 are like me who are just buying the games for their kids but not actually the one playing? I don't think most kids have their own credit card.

It's still the stats of 70% of all connected users, who visited the eShop (it seems it's not just about users, who bought stuff - why would children or especially teens not visit the eShop at all? there's also free DLC and few free games here and there, there are also demos). Even if we assume that the remaining 30% are little children, well that won't change much.

I would be interested in Club Nintendo survey statistics. That would be very interesting.

I'd assume most families only use one NNiD connected to the eShop, and if you want to tie a credit card to it it makes sense for a parent to be charge of the account

This would mean that most families don't use Nintendo's parental controls. It seems parental controls are user based.

I see your point. It is still a pretty radical shift regardless. 60/40 wasn't the end all figure, and 70/30 is somewhat inline with that much like a straight up 50/50 deviation. Going more than 20% change just leaves me thinking "wow" for some reason. I suppose I'm over reacting slightly.

I actually had the same initial reaction but the more I think about it the more it makes sense that the Wii U would skew more towards male demographics although the 93/7 split is probably artificially high if only somewhat

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I don't really think the eShop accounts are necessarily very representative of the consoles userbase in general. I admit I don't actually know how multiple NNiDs on a Wii U works, but I'd assume most families only use one NNiD connected to the eShop, and if you want to tie a credit card to it it makes sense for a parent to be charge of the account
Exactly. With the Nintendo account system, this is the most logical answer.

It really shows how Nintendo has completely lost the kids demographic in 20 years. They've always tried to keep it; but kids just moved on.

My 3 kids have offline accounts in my Wii U. Only my wife and I connect online, and only I do the shopping. It is important data but somewhat tricky.

My wife used to like gaming, she started with Management Sims like The Sims, Rollercoaster Tycoon, etc, then she played Counter Strike Source, she loved Dead Space, CoD and she played occasionally on the Wii. Now it is just her phone, with internet, facebook and the very occasional free game. The only console game she now enjoys are Lego games.

My kids are totally Nintendo fans, except for the older (16), who just plays FIFA.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So this explains the change in nintendos drive to push towards core gamers, they realized their main demo is much older than they anticipated.

But then again, I wonder how many of those older account are just parents registering the console account in their name but letting their kids play it.

tronic307

It really shows how Nintendo has completely lost the kids demographic in 20 years. They've always tried to keep it; but kids just moved on.
The iPad is the Game Boy of today. I don't know if kids will know what a PlayStation is in a decade or two, let alone Wii-anything.

Datschge

I wonder how they're getting this metric. I imagine part of it is who the main account on the system is, whose credit card is tied to said NNID. I mean my girlfriend just signs in with my account anyway, even if she has her own, and she buys stuff under my account. Or kids buying under their parents' account etc. I really wonder about how skewed this data is from cases like that.

This. I feel the data is essentially reflecting who the audience is that sets up online and eShop on Wii U, not necessarily who all then uses it.

big_z

This. I feel the data is essentially reflecting who the audience is that sets up online and eShop on Wii U, not necessarily who all then uses it.

That's what I think too. The age/sex data could also be collected from those registering products and doing surveys which i would guess is mostly the hardcore audience.

Either way maybe a female link wouldn't be a bad idea.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I really doubt that this is the case (some of you are looking way too deeply into Miyamoto's weird quotes...)
I think it's quite likely that their aren't enough kids on the device (going by Nintendo's own statements and reactions) but, this data only pertains to the users on eShop and is quite limited in terms of telling us what the overall picture is for the WiiU when it comes to the question of "Who is using this thing??"

Not just kids are underrepresented, women in particular, and also older adults though that is probably the toughest demographic to hold on to once you lose the wiimote as default controller.

And we know that Nintendo are trying hard to appeal to kids with amiibo. Maybe the fact that there are so many female characters in their games compared to the competition is also part of an attempt to attract more women..

ChrisD

Shoot, I was in the 5% when I bought it.

I'm 18 now though. Guess I'm no longer part of that exclusive group.

I wonder if the female rate actually IS any higher? Would it be a large enough change if we were counting everyone, and not just metrics? Or would it still be heavily skewed?

Only a month and a half from being in the key demographic. Though if they somehow included race I would not be.

Also the people buying stuff on the Eshop are probably older. You usually don't give access to an online shop to a kid.

AmuroChan

It's still the stats of 70% of all connected users, who visited the eShop (it seems it's not just about users, who bought stuff - why would children or especially teens not visit the eShop at all? there's also free DLC and few free games here and there, there are also demos). Even if we assume that the remaining 30% are little children, well that won't change much.

In my case, my son is too young to even know what the eShop is or how to navigate the menus. I turn the system on, boot up a game, put the controller in his hand, and let him entertain himself for an hour while I sit next to him reading or playing the Vita.

Yeah that and the tremendously skewed gender ratio is what surprised me.

WiiU is not popular at all with kids and female gamers.....something I would of thought Nintendo to do much better at.

I just laughed because you hear so much chatter about Nintendo being the family friendly platform, when actually there are virtually no kids playing WiiU. Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, Pikmin, all being played by old man (relatively) Nintendo fans. There is no future in that dwindling pool. Time to go after core gamers again Nintendo. Loving Miyamotos recent comments.

Balb

I just laughed because you hear so much chatter about Nintendo being the family friendly platform, when actually there are virtually no kids playing WiiU. Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, Pikmin, all being played by old man (relatively) Nintendo fans. There is no future in that dwindling pool. Time to go after core gamers again Nintendo. Loving Miyamotos recent comments.

What would the average kid do on the eShop?

Lime

Some of my friends and colleagues have chosen to be categorized as "male" on NNID because they dont want to potentially get harassed.

Amiibo seems like a ploy to squeeze more money out of existing Wii U owners and adult collectors, must of whom are probably male. Anecdotal, but I really don't care how Smash Bros. or whatever uses amiibos; I just want Nintendo figurines that don't look like trash or are incredibly expensive.

AmuroChan

I just laughed because you hear so much chatter about Nintendo being the family friendly platform, when actually there are virtually no kids playing WiiU.

What statistics support this? Surely you don't actually think the eShop demographics is indicative of the overall userbase.

What statistics support this? Surely you don't actually think the eShop demographics is indicative of the overall userbase.

It's 63% of the userbase. Normally, that would be more than as a sufficient sample size, but, of course, we don't know how they got that information. Does it take into account multiple people using one account? What if a parent makes an account for a child, but uses the parent's information?

At the very least, what this data tells me is that, if you're making an eShop game, it should probably be a "hardcore" game. So more stuff like Shovel Knight and the Fall, and less stuff like Bejeweled or whatever. Also, the dearth of Virtual Console games is especially baffling given the age demographics.

MilesTeg

Banned
I'm guessing most female Nintendo fans are 3ds/ds owners?

Possible. 3DS has Nintendogs and Animal Crossing, as well as Harvest Moon games. And Pokemon. Honestly Wii U has very few of the more mixed gender games that Nintendo consoles typically have. But then, 3DS just has a lot more games than Wii U. Naturally as it has a much bigger userbase.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Also, the dearth of Virtual Console games is especially baffling given the age demographics.

Not really. That age demographic is old enough to know how to set up and use an emulator and ROMs. Price point for VC is too high for them.

JNA

Banned
7% female? You would think Nintendo would have the biggest audience of female gamers over Sony and Microsoft. 0_0

AmuroChan

It's 63% of the userbase. Normally, that would be more than as a sufficient sample size, but, of course, we don't know how they got that information. Does it take into account multiple people using one account? What if a parent makes an account for a child, but uses the parent's information?

At the very least, what this data tells me is that, if you're making an eShop game, it should probably be a "hardcore" game. So more stuff like Shovel Knight and the Fall, and less stuff like Bejeweled or whatever. Also, the dearth of Virtual Console games is especially baffling given the age demographics.

Well, there's no way they'd know that my son is the primary user of my WiiU since it's my account and everything is under my name.

Top Bottom