• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Says JoyCon Wireless Issues Were Caused By 'Manufacturing Variation'

Gauntlet

Banned
Why does it seem like despite Nintendo addressing this a mere two and half weeks after launch, and providing speedy free repairs, people are still desperately trying to find something to complain about?

Also some of you in here are REALLY bad at coming up with analogies

Anything to avoid being remotely on the same page as those deplorable corporate apologists

(this post is super sarcastic and I believe it's ridiculous for people who aren't outraged to be dismissed as "defense forces" or "apologists")

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
"The issue was due to a problem in the manufacturing process. It has been addressed and won't be an issue going forward. If you're experiencing the issue contact us for a free-of-charge replacement."

"That sure is some fancy pants talk for 'we fucked up'."

Lol what? It's a pretty plain explanation of the situation.

In other words:

Yes, there are some faulty controllers but we won't fix them for free. You have to buy new ones.

I think that's what it means, maybe I'm wrong.

You could definitely define those words as "other" words.

Hasney

So I just got around to opening my launch-day Switch. How do I test to see if the left Joy-Con has this issue?

There's a Joycon calibration screen, so open that up, then put the controller behind your back and roll the stick in a circle. If it jumps over points on the screen instead of showing it rotating in a circle, then it has an issue.

In other words:

Yes, there are some faulty controllers but we won't fix them for free. You have to buy new ones.

Edit:

How am I going to prove it, should I call them? because my Joycons really have bad signal.
You just send the joycons in after dealing with customer service, all Switch consoles have a one year warranty. Also you're wrong it's free.

Calm Mind

Why does it seem like despite Nintendo addressing this a mere two and half weeks after launch, and providing speedy free repairs, people are still desperately trying to find something to complain about?

Nintendo can never win. Even when they admit they're wrong and fix the mistakes for FREE. And yes, the analogies are as forced as you would expect.

Interfectum

How am I going to prove it, should I call them? because my Joycons really have bad signal.

You know, instead of making knee jerk posts on GAF you could finish reading the OP then contact Nintendo and they'll tell you what, if anything, you need to do.

Memory

As suspected, way too many actual owners were reporting their Joy-Cons to be fine for this to be a wide spread issue.

I do wonder the percentage though. I believe 5% is the acceptable failure rate for QA of electrical goods.

As suspected, way too many actual owners were reporting their Joy-Cons to be fine for this to be a wide spread issue.

I do wonder the percentage though. I believe 5% is the acceptable failure rate for QA of electrical goods.

If it were up to GAF 0% would still be unacceptable, because someone would find a way to fuck up their system and make a thread blaming anyone, but themselves for it.

ViolentP

Because the community addressed it in Nintendo's absence a month ago. No one gets a free pass on this train!

Peltz

In other words:

Edit:

Man, huge reading comp fail. Even post edit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Considering they said dead pixels are not defects I take what they say with a grain of salt.

Not this again.

Every single LCD manufacturer says that a limited number of dead pixels are a normal result of manufacturing. Every single one. Apple, Samsung, Sony, etc., etc. Read the fine print.

HeySeuss

I think it is more like "we decided to launch anyway".

It doesn't mean either of those things. Do you think Nintendo watches over Foxconns shoulder as each unit is sent down the manufacturing line? Foxconn does the QA after the initial batch is tested and approved by Nintendo.

If you've ever worked on an assembly line or in a factory, you know how many steps are involved in the process and how little it takes to mess something up along the way.

ViolentP

Not this again.

Every single LCD manufacturer says that a limited number of dead pixels are a normal result of manufacturing. Every single one. Apple, Samsung, Sony, etc., etc.

At the cost attached to these devices, I still think it's a load of Plinko.

Not an attack, just like that word. Plinko.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That's a dodge.

Nintendo no longer the dependable "make it right and then some" manufacturer many still espouse them as.

Only on GAF will a company openly admitting there was an issue with a product and said issue will be fixed for free be described as a "dodge."

At the cost attached to these devices, I still think it's a load of Plinko.

Not an attack, just like that word. Plinko.

I agree with the sentiment--I don't accept dead pixels. But Sony did it with my PSP. All TV/laptop screen manufacturers do it. It's an industry standard.

Mortemis

Banned
That's good to hear. I don't play my switch while docked that often so i'm gonna wait until I finish Zelda to get it fixed.

giphy.gif

Believe me, I wanted to open it day-one and get to the Zelda goodness, but then life happened and today is my first opportunity.

jediyoshi

"no design issue"

"A manufacturing variation"

I'm not sure it's a better implication on Nintendo's part that they deliberately ended up with poorly functioning units.

The press embargo wasn't even lifted up to a month ago. You guys are just making shit up at this point

They may be off by a few days, but it was announced the week before release by some press. It wasn't a month though. Like 3 weeks maybe.

I would have liked them to address it immediately, but as someone who's seen how it's an act of God at times to get
corporate to acknowledge something, I know why they didn't.

Litri

Ok, they have acknowledged that there are some Joycons with the issue and have addressed it at factory level. Well done. Now, let's try to help those who have faulty ones.

guek

Banned

Yup. It's really obvious which people would be dissatisfied regardless of any possible reasonable response Nintendo could make here.

Waji

It's kinda annoying. If I send my joycons I can't play and since I don't want to get any new controller I don't have much choice.
Almost makes me want to not make it repair at all (or do it myself).

Peterthumpa

"Manufacturing Variation" is an incredible way to word "we fucked up while QA".

I don't think that's how QA works. Or do you think that Samsung streams an episode of House of Cards through Netflix on every TV they produce?

IMO "Manufacturing variation" means a manufacturing defect that obviously can't be detected that easily because this kind of specific QA happens before mass production.

DR2K

Banned
Mine is from the new batch(post launch) and my joy con is fine. No scratching of my screen(put in gorilla glass just in case). No issues besides lack of software.

I imagine if anyone is having joycon problems, Nintendo will fix or replace it.

Top Bottom