• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Says JoyCon Wireless Issues Were Caused By 'Manufacturing Variation'

big_erk

My dock is starting to cause smudges on my Switch where the bumpers are. Am I making it up because I don't post pictures?

The smudges wipe off. The bottom pads on the dock are made of some kind of rubber. As long as there is no dirt or debris between the dock and the screen it will not scratch.

Cleve

Where are all the folks swearing it was a firmware fix?

Glad they responded quickly and have a plan in place to get this addressed. Shit happens, if this is the worst issue faced at launch, they're in a pretty good place.

KingV

Is there a good way to test joy cons for this?

One of my left joycon was working funky when I was on vacation and was across a large room, but unfortunately I have two sets of grey joycons and cant remember which of my lefts had an issue.

degoose

Neo Member
"Manufacturing Variation" is an incredible way to word "we fucked up while QA".
It could also be that one of the factories putting out the Joycons had an issue causing some compl8cations.This kind of stuff happens,no company or person is flawless.

My switch by the way has worked fine.

SRTtoZ

The "fix" is probably just re-positioning the antenna isn't it?

They said something about foam blocking the signal I think.

Is there a good way to test joy cons for this?

One of my left joycon was working funky when I was on vacation and was across a large room, but unfortunately I have two sets of grey joycons and cant remember which of my lefts had an issue.

It took me all of a minute to realize I had the issue. Stand back 5-10 feet, put the joy-con behind your back, run the calibration tool and move your analog in a circular motion. If its silky smooth and not skipping then you're fine. Also if you have Zelda start it up and do the same, put the joy-con behind your back and run link in a circle, if he only moves one way then you have an issue, if he moves perfectly with your analog motion then you're fine. And for those that say 'well you don't play with a joy-con behind your back', thats true but I found that I can also replicate the issue just turning 90 degrees to the side. Its definitely a shitty connection.

Where is the contact link for support? The support website is all help articles and support forums. I need to send my controller in, not be told it's too close to an aquarium.

You need to call. Google the customer service number in your country.

NolbertoS

I'l give Nintendo for being creative on that PR, not like Sony or MS driving so hard tonspin things with blatant lies or MAU's. Manufacturing variation could mean that they cheaped out on that foam and now realized that the conductiveness of tge circuit board is causing the faulty joy con.

Red

Where is the contact link for support? The support website is all help articles and support forums. I need to send my controller in, not be told it's too close to an aquarium.

ViolentP

To the fish, its you in the aquarium. Think about it.

To the fish, its you in the aquarium. Think about it.

RedRumy3

Are they shipping same joycon back or just giving you a new one because I don't have another controller and would suck to be out of left joycon for a few days-week. Wonder if they would do some type of cross ship.

Dartastic

Called yesterday about it. Rep was amazing, and I should send off my joy-con tomorrow and get it back pretty quickly. People are complaining about this? My interaction was one of the best customer service interactions I've had in a long time, and I should have a replacement in less than a week. What's the issue?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Well, scoured the inventory checking sites and it looks like blue joycons are nowhere to be found, so I guess I'm sending mine in to Nintendo instead.

I've been meaning to hook up my Wii U in my new TV Stand; maybe a break from Zelda is what I need anyway.

CRA5H

Called yesterday about it. Rep was amazing, and I should send off my joy-con tomorrow and get it back pretty quickly. People are complaining about this? My interaction was one of the best customer service interactions I've had in a long time, and I should have a replacement in less than a week. What's the issue?
You're only sending the one joy con?

Ludist210

Interesting that they're doing what Apple didn't when antennagate happened. ("You're holding it wrong.") I sent mine in because of this, so I'm glad they're acknowledging that it's an actual issue.

bumpkin

So how do you check if yours are affected? Cup your hand over the left Joy-Con and observe the calibration menu like in the GameXplain video?

SRTtoZ

You're only sending the one joy con?

Not the person you're quoting but I only sent the Left Joy-Con as per the request of the customer service rep. Also told me to put a note inside the box with name/address/phone, the issue, order # and whats included in the box. Should have it back in the beginning of next week.

Beduin

Neo Member
People do realize that Nintendo doesn't make the hardware and that the factory is responsible for QA after the initial test batch is made that obviously didn't have the issue when Nintendo tested them, right?

It seems people have no clue of the logistics of how these are made. Nintendo isn't making these out back in a shed somewhere.

Whaaaat? Are you telling me that Nintendo is not doing all the work in-house? Or are you telling me that there isnt some poor Nintendo employees manually checking all the joycons?

Jokes aside, this is probably a case of more than one factory doing joycons and one of them not following specifications. Or one factory that at some point had issues that was not detected.
Either way, this is the very definition of manufacturing variation.

And the response from Nintendo is fast and with a good solution.

Shouldn't have been a problem in the first place, as it sucks for people that ended up with the issue. However, as stated, it's nice to see them addressing it. Hopefully people with faulty ones can get it fixed/replaced.

Good to see them addressing it directly. As I have two sets that work fine and my originals only had the issue, I figured it was something of this nature.

Dear god, your avatar is glorious.

Barrett2

Legally, they have to claim manufacturing vs design defect because admitting any kind of design defect opens them to immediate class action lawsuits, and obligates them to replace every unit. Of course they aren't going to voluntarily replace every JoyCon unless and until this becomes a more severe PR / prospective lawsuit issue. So in that sense, their statement today should not be taken as definitive truth. It could be a design defect, but one that does not manifest in every user's device, but that doesn't mean it's not a design defect, it could just mean they are quietly changing the design to avoid new joycons having the issue, and hoping to avoid being forced to replace every JoyCon.

CRA5H

Not the person you're quoting but I only sent the Left Joy-Con as per the request of the customer service rep. Also told me to put a note inside the box with name/address/phone, the issue, order # and whats included in the box. Should have it back in the beginning of next week.
Super useful info. Thanks!

alexdd

Neo Member
They are addressing specifically the left joycon, but I hope this also holds true for the right one? Because my left joycon works perfectly but my right one starts to desync and act wonky if i put it behind my crossed leg; aiming with gyro and/or the right stick becomes a problem. And I am sitting at literally about 50 cm from the switch.

Plum

I've dealt with a few (Asus did, Dell did for a friend of mine, many third-party Amazon sellers). You just get billed for the new item if you don't send yours back.

Huh, I've never dealt with something like that. However I do think expecting it, especially when, to my knowledge, no other console manufacturer does the same, is a bit pedantic. The logistics of having to set up potential billing for one part of a $300 purchase that likely wasn't done directly is nowhere near as simple as say, Apple replacing accessories in their stores.

Huh, I've never dealt with something like that. However I do think expecting it, especially when, to my knowledge, no other console manufacturer does the same, is a bit pedantic. The logistics of having to set up potential billing for one part of a $300 purchase that likely wasn't done directly is nowhere near as simple as say, Apple replacing accessories in their stores.

Fair enough.

SRTtoZ

...what other companies send out replacements before getting the faulty item themselves?

It's actually pretty common nowadays, they put a hold on your credit card until they get the replacement back. Amazon and Microsoft have done it for me before. I should clarify I never expected Nintendo do that this because they are so behind the 8 ball on a lot of aspects of todays world. I'm just glad I have a second set of Joy-Cons.

FN-2187

Word.

Nintendo customer service is amazing. It has been my entire life. They have always made it a priority. It's unfortunate this first patch of Switch consoles has some issues, but Nintendo will make it right for sure. Some people would rather scream outrage over the internet though, rather than make a phone call.

meppi

Well my left joycon was shit.
And by shit i mean SHIT
3 foot away it lost connection when i put my leg in front of it.

My neon bundle worked perfect 20 feet even behind my back.
None of this well this is not nintendo's fault.
That is how the tech works.
My dualshock 4 still works in another room concrete wall and all while using party chat.

So i send my grey left joy back to nintendo.
Got a new one WITHIN 2 DAYS.

Perfect service!

GfInhMf.jpg

But on the added papers nintendo said they replaced my joycon instead of what cnet said
No surprise there. Nintendo Benelux have been a real pleasure to deal with the couple of time that I needed their help. :)
(Launch Wii and Launch DSLite)

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
My dock is starting to cause smudges on my Switch where the bumpers are. Am I making it up because I don't post pictures?

Lol, "Nintendo Switch Smudgeful Launch."

I, for one, think it would be great if the internet was flooded with smudged Switch pictures.

Can't believe Nintendo keeps getting away with this...

For real though, aren't the bumpers rubbery? I don't think that would be symptomatic of a potential issue. Although, given the gripes (legitimate and otherwise) that have come from this launch, I've got a feeling any time any one sees any sort of scratch on their Switch screen, they'll immediately jump to product-defect. That cop-out would've been a life saver for pretty much any phone I've ever owned.

SRTtoZ

The smudges clean off though and aren't on the actual screen but on the black border (on mine at least).

Cuburt

Well it sounds like no other future fix is coming since it's a manufacturing error in only some.

My connection problems aren't as bad as other people's but it's enough that I don't want this to be an issue through the life of this console for me so I'll try contacting Nintendo to see if they'll do the fix.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Good news. This is what I wanted to hear that they have fixed it on the manufacturing line. I'll pick a Switch up towards the end of the year.

Kyuur

I had an issue not related to this (left joycon joystick wasn't working properly after a light drop) and Nintendo of Canada was great about it, fixed it with no problems. It did take quite a while (I bought another set of joycons to be able to play) so its great they're doing expedited for this defect. They should put out a notice through the news section on the console itself maybe.

Top Bottom