• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shares Drop 5% Following Pre-TGS Announcements, Analysts Comment

bigtroyjon said:
As soon as many of these type's of conferences end investment firms send of detailed reports to their clients. That can only happen if they have the knowledge beforehand.

Unless Nintendo (or whatever publisher is in question) have these investor reports ready to go before the conference starts and just send it out during the conference itself.

Edit: Actually, this kind of thing has happened before (various details about stuff in the various E3 2010 and E3 2009 conferences hit the web a few mins before they were actually shown on stage)

Duxxy3

I think nintendo's reply should be something like this this

Dear Stockholders,

We make full priced nintendo games for nintendo platforms. If you have a problem with that, fuck off.

Sincerely,

N

or something like that

Zeal said:
And the point is people don't ban Reuters and Gamasutra over graphs, or because they post something you don't like.

Absurd.

Yeah, I don't like Gamasutra's misleading journalism. That is hardly a quantifier for ban! Fuck let's keep Chartz around while we're at it.

antonz

The true silliness in the article is the fact not only did the drop happen before the conference but afterwards the drop was erased so in reality there was no actual movement. Sure you could make a story saying initial reaction to event seems mild but the doom and gloom stories spreading are outright false.

In fact by their logic we could say Sonys conference is a bomb because Sonys stock ended down on the day.

Jokeropia

Barkley's Justice said:
in the land of neogaf, everything is juuuuust fine.
Neogaf might be crazy at times, but never quite displays such total ignorance as some of these articles.
Diffense said:
NO first party game sold more on DS than Nintendogs not even POKEMON!
NSMB is the best selling game on DS.

wsippel

Banned
BurntPork said:
So, the drop happened before the conference? Does this even matter, then?
No, it doesn't. What happened today had nothing at all to do with Nintendo or the gaming market. It wasn't about investors wanting to see Nintendo games on iPhone or other delusional shit. Some big fond bought Nintendo stock at ¥10.000 a few weeks ago, and sold at ¥12.000 today. That's it. Everything else is smoke and mirrors, or just plain bullshit.

BurntPork

Banned
wsippel said:
No, it doesn't. What happened today had nothing at all to do with Nintendo or the gaming market. It wasn't about investors wanting to see Nintendo games on iPhone or other delusional shit. Some big fond bought Nintendo stock at ¥10.000 a few weeks ago, and sold at ¥12.000 today. That's it. Everything else is smoke and mirrors, or just plain bullshit.
So, now Nintendo just waits until the holiday when sales explode and stocks go back up a bit, I guess?

wsippel

Banned
Momo said:
What the fuck guys. Really?
Sarcasm detectors, guys. Buy them! It's a future proof investment.

I was kidding. Honestly. It was a mistake, as people now seem to talk about the joke I tried to make (and failed), not the actual point I made. Which is kinda sad. But it is my very own fault.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

DrLazy

Dave Long said:
The problem with putting $1, FREE and ad-supported games on a pedestal is eventually people tire of garbage and move on from it to something that costs a little more but is more satisfying to play.

We all know where those games are. Eventually the rest of the public will catch up after this wave of euphoria over free or nearly free subsides. Either that or everyone will start doing something else entirely, like buying groceries and gas to get to work.

I disagree. I'd argue that userbase -- the mass market casual players that find something like a game of paper toss as highly entertaining -- aren't going to be looking for a full featured gaming device. With the DS and Wii, Nintendo was able to hit those customers -- With games like Brain Age and Wii Sports -- priced at $35 and $50.

If a customer does decide to "upgrade" to higher quality games, I'd argue that Nintendo, Sony and all major game companies who rely on mobile gaming should watch their back. We're already seeing higher quality game released on platforms for much lower prices. That will only continue in my view. There's no shortage of indie developers across the world. By sheer numbers a few diamonds will shine through and consumers will find them without the need for a "seal of quality" from another era.

Now the home console market is a bit of a different beast --- for now. But it too could be in for change with games like TF2 going free to play.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ushojax said:
It's not about announcing titles for Nintendo hardware. It's that they're not announcing them for smartphones/iOS. That's what shareholders and investors want for some reason.

Because it's "what's hot" right now. They hear from dumbfuck "analysts" and "gaming journalists" that iOS and smart phones are where it's at and are the future of gaming and everything else.

Most investors are looking for short term returns and thus latch onto whatever is the current hotness in an attempt to make a quick buck. They tend to care nothing about long term stability of the company or industry they are investing in.

antonz

Zefah said:
Because it's "what's hot" right now. They hear from dumbfuck "analysts" and "gaming journalists" that iOS and smart phones are where it's at and are the future of gaming and everything else.

Most investors are looking for short term returns and thus latch onto whatever is the current hotness in an attempt to make a quick buck. They tend to care nothing about long term stability of the company or industry they are investing in.
The problem is the average investor looks at numbers without context and certainly without understanding the industry. Rovio says hey guess what Angry birds has been downloaded 300 million times and that seems super awesome compared to 20million Mario Kart DS or 25 million Mario Kart Wii.

It's surely not going to cause a market crash, but all these sub par IOS devs churning out endless games kind of reminds me of the old Atari days. It was hot stuff with consumers until lazy companies started cranking out endless crappy 2600 games to see what stuck to the wall.

AbsoluteZero said:
Every time I see Avatar all I hear is "Duh-duh-duh Dig Champs" in my head.

New episodes, starting next Monday, whooooo!

Kalamoj

The biggest investors should know the nature of Nintendo's business, and what they hate the most is upredictability. I don't think any one of them expected N to go 3rd party, but the bumpy 3DS release, and the price cut caused this loss of trust. This new accessory is just an other proof of the failed 3DS launch, and there is no game that can fix it in a short-term. The fall season will show if it is temporary or the company is in a much deeper mess.

Nuclear Muffin said:
He does have a point here though. The stock drop happened before the conference (while all of these sources are claiming that it happened after the conference instead)

Kinda makes me wonder why the title hasn't been changed really.

legend166

If I was Iwata I'd be driving that stock price down as far as I could so I could buy it all back. Can someone with more financial knowledge than me explain what the advantages/disadvantages would be to Nintendo to remain a publicly listed company?

If the investors basically got their way, Nintendo would pretty much stop making hardware and focus on mobile games. Yet the numbers just don't support it. Obviously Nintendo had a rough last financial year, revenue was down 29% to $12.1 billion US.

And yet, revenue from all major app stores in 2011 is expected to be around $4 billion US. Obviously it's still growing, with them expecting it to be $8 billion US in 2014: http://www.isuppli.com/media-resear...-app-stores-to-rise-77-7-percent-in-2011.aspx

But that just says to me - Nintendo, in a down year, brought in three times the entire revenue from all major mobile app stores.

The economics just don't stand up for me. I definitely don't think Nintendo just sit around and do nothing - I'd cut $10 off the price of 3DS software for one, but this investor push for a whole sale move to mobile platforms just seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

But then again, gotta keep hitting those quarterly growth figures.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
legend166 said:
If I was Iwata I'd be driving that stock price down as far as I could so I could buy it all back. Can someone with more financial knowledge than me explain what the advantages/disadvantages would be to Nintendo to remain a publicly listed company?

If the investors basically got their way, Nintendo would pretty much stop making hardware and focus on mobile games. Yet the numbers just don't support it. Obviously Nintendo had a rough last financial year, revenue was down 29% to $12.1 billion US.

And yet, revenue from all major app stores in 2011 is expected to be around $4 billion US. Obviously it's still growing, with them expecting it to be $8 billion US in 2014: http://www.isuppli.com/media-resear...-app-stores-to-rise-77-7-percent-in-2011.aspx

But that just says to me - Nintendo, in a down year, brought in three times the entire revenue from all major mobile app stores.

The economics just don't stand up for me. I definitely don't think Nintendo just sit around and do nothing - I'd cut $10 off the price of 3DS software for one, but this investor push for a whole sale move to mobile platforms just seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

But then again, gotta keep hitting those quarterly growth figures.

But, dude, iPhone!

antonz

TekkenMaster said:
So has it been confirmed that the investors knew everything that Nintendo was going to announce at the conference beforehand?
No but there was a ton of movement very early. 4 hours before the conference the value began its plunge then began to rebound as the conference started

jgkspsx

legend166 said:

Wow, perspective and context? Where's the fun in that?

But, seriously, you make an excellent point. Being publicly traded in a market that doesn't understand your industry at all is a great way to get run into the ground. If I were Iwata, I'd go private in a heartbeat if I could.

CamHostage

Monster Hunter was an absolute megaton for Nintendo (whether it's exclusive or not) but maybe analysts are factoring in that Nintendo hasn't got any other notable games for its console platform after Skyward Sword? Nintendo's portables have always sustained them, only now they're being threatened (even though SM 3D Land and Monster Hunter 3G/4 are massive titles,) and meanwhile they have nothing going on at home.

...Otherwise, I can't think of a good reason why not to look at Nintendo's futures as up. The Wii was proved a corpse, but with 3DS they certainly made right moves last night from my perspective.

gblues

Banned
If Nintendo actually announced iOS games, the same investors complaining about no mobile gaming would be questioning the wisdom of putting high-value games on a platform where 9.99 is considered high end.

gblues said:
If Nintendo actually announced iOS games, the same investors complaining about no mobile gaming would be questioning the wisdom of putting high-value games on a platform where 9.99 is considered high end.

Like we said earlier, if they put out only catalog releases, they'd be promoting the Nintendo brand and mindshare in a marketplace that's growing. Put ads for the latest releases on 3DS and Wii U and it only pays off for them.

krypt0nian said:
Like we said earlier, if they put out only catalog releases, they'd be promoting the Nintendo brand and mindshare in a marketplace that's growing. Put ads for the latest releases on 3DS and Wii U and it only pays off for them.

Nintendo manufactures hardware. Why would they put their own games on someone else's hardware.

It's like asking why Sony doesn't put Uncharted on the Wii?

Maybe I'm not getting what you are asking here as I'm not a business man but still it seem to be kinda counterproductive.

loosus

Banned
Don't know the specific reasons why the stock price dropped, but I do think Nintendo is taking the 3DS in the wrong direction. Based on what I saw today, I have very little faith in it long-term. Yes, Super Mario 3D Land looks neat, but boy, the 3DS is otherwise a fucking wasteland for the foreseeable future for anyone who isn't a diehard Nintendo nerd.

Knux-Future said:
Nintendo manufactures hardware. Why would they put their own games on someone else's hardware.

It's like asking why Sony doesn't put Uncharted on the Wii?

Maybe I'm not getting what you are asking here as I'm not a business man but still it seem to be kinda counterproductive.

Sony puts their games out on android phones. Why? For exactly the reasons I typed before.

krypt0nian said:
Sony puts their games out on android phones. Why? For exactly the reasons I typed before.

true but they also have a playstation phone out well as a phone section in the company of sony

loosus said:
Don't know the specific reasons why the stock price dropped, but I do think Nintendo is taking the 3DS in the wrong direction. Based on what I saw today, I have very little faith in it long-term. Yes, Super Mario 3D Land looks neat, but boy, the 3DS is otherwise a fucking wasteland for the foreseeable future for anyone who isn't a diehard Nintendo nerd.

then why the fuck would you buy a nintendo handheld?

if you don't like mario and the rest then from jump street you should know what to expect right?

BurntPork

Banned
Nintendo should put SMB2 JP on iOS and Andriod, make the port as shitty as possible, and sell it for $5 just to troll the investors.

Top Bottom