• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo shows updated Zelda-timeline in Japanese Newsletter, puts left part on sale

Mael

The second and third timeline co-exist in the same (multi-)universe (while the first one is a "what-if" scenario): at the end of Ocarina of Time Zelda sends Link back in time (actually, to the other timeline) but doing so she doesn't rewrite time, she actually creates two timelines. In the first one Link doesn't exist anymore, because she just sent him back, and thus when Ganondorf escapes many years later there's no hero to stop him (backstory of WW). In the other one Link, "escaping" the first timeline and returning a child, warns the King of Hyrule about Ganondorf's plan (backstory of TP) and then goes looking for Navi in the forest (backstory of MM).
The Triforce trascends this division: TP!Link has the Triforce mark on his hands, even though he never gets it, because WW!Link actually obtained the Triforce (of Courage) in the other timeline.
Actually Child Link at the end of OoT HAS the triforce.
He never lost it or anything when he was sent back.
So the other pieces found their respective owners as TP showed.
Child Link dies by the time TP comes around and the Courage part of the triforce is sent to TP Link (hero blessed by the Goddesses) while Ganondorf still keeps his part that he received when OoT Link came back and forced the split of the triforce by coming back.

Zelda fucked 2 timelines in the ending of OoT, she doomed her timeline to Hyrule drowing and doomed the child Link timeline to TP's events.

Shenmue

Banned
Why do people hate the timeline so? I think it's fun and creative. If people want to continue treating the games as individual, unique entities there's nothing stopping them from enjoying the games that way still.

It will be upside down and connected to Minish Cap via a twist tie.

It's probably coming after Four Swords Adventures. Four Swords Adventures ends with Ganon being revived and getting his trident (which makes you think it would lead into LTTP but retcons lol :D). This leaves a big blank space in the timeline for a future Zelda game with a newly revived ganon just waiting to get unsealed.

My gut says that it's LOZ 1 remaked.

I dream that it's Zelda 2.

Such large map would be awesome.

the wait

the wait

wait...

Ishida

Banned
Why do people hate the timeline so? I think it's fun and creative. If people want to continue treating the games as individual, unique entities there's nothing stopping them from enjoying the games that way still.

As a Zelda fan, I don't hate it.

But I think it is completely unnecessary. The timelime adds nothing.

Some of the games aside, each one is almost completely self-contained. It's not like the Mega Man timeline, for example, where you actually see the world evolve and see the consequences of the past eras playing a major role in the events of the new ones.

Pyrrhus

As a Zelda fan, I don't hate it.

But I think it is completely unnecessary. The timelime adds nothing.

Some of the games aside, each one is almost completely self-contained. It's not like the Mega Man timeline, for example, where you actually see the world evolve and see the consequences of the past eras playing a major role in the events of the new ones.

What you've said here. The games aren't historically and geographically cohesive enough or tonally similar enough to really believe that all of these disparate titles are some single continuity. I don't believe Zelda 2 with its ruined towns full of angry ghosts, armies of roaming monsters, and plot revolving around said monsters hunting Link to murder him and use blood magic to revive Ganon exists in the same setting as choo-choo train Link or fashion conscious, gender-bending palette swapped Link Brothers from Another Mother. I'm not saying those lighter games aren't "real" Zelda, I'm saying trying to force them all into one hard continuity works horribly.

Timeaisis

Okay but where does Wand of Gamelon fit in?

Here ya go.

Zelda_timeline21-e1362294917919.jpg

Sagitario

"Nintendo offers rebates on every Zelda-game on the eShop"
Is this for Japan only?
Cause in America, only The Minish Cap is discounted and I really want to buy the NES games [for 3DS].

Mak

- Iwata Asks: Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - Nintendo.com 2011
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/4/2

Iwata: When you make a Zelda game, how do you think about the story?

Miyamoto: The stories in The Legend of Zelda may not match up as the series progresses. We actually expend a lot of time trying to make them match up, though. It would make things a lot easier if the players said, “Oh, that doesn’t really matter.” (laughs)

Iwata: (laughs) You would rather spend your energy making game elements rather than the story.

Miyamoto: That’s right. Sometimes people ask whether Yoshi is a boy or a girl. If I answer, “Probably a boy,” then they say, “So a boy is laying eggs?” (laughs)

Iwata: (laughs)

Miyamoto: But the moment I say Yoshi lays eggs so Yoshi must be a girl, they’ll say, “Then Yoshi’s voice needs to sound more like a girl’s!” But I want to make video games without having to worry about such background info. Take the animated series Popeye, for example. In old cartoons like those, the roles of the characters were different every time.

Iwata: The setting changed every time.

Miyamoto: Even though the setting was different each time, the characters you knew and loved would come out and perform. Well, the Mario games are set up like that. It would be much easier if we could use any setting in The Legend of Zelda while preserving the essential relationship between Link, Ganon and Zelda.

Iwata: But when a series builds up for as long as it has, that isn’t easy.

Miyamoto: Right. Especially when it comes to a story of the Zelda games, we can’t do anything disappointing, so with the Ocarina of Time, we worked on the story with reference to the past games in the series.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- GDC: Miyamoto Keynote Speech - March 1999
http://www.ign.com/articles/1999/03/19/gdc-miyamoto-keynote-speech

Miyamoto: We started with about four or five different teams, each working on basic experiments related to game design.

Scenario and Planning - both very necessary. The team discussed the position of this title in the whole series, and included myself and several dedicated script writers.

Link’s action and 3D improvements of items found previously in the series: This team included myself, Mr. Yoshiaki Koizumi who has worked on player characters since the days of Mario, and the head programmer. Mr. Koizumi is here in the audience this evening. Where are you? [Koizumi stands up amidst applause.] If you happen to see him at the conference, say hello. He may share some useful information with you. [laughs]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Interview: Super Mario Galaxy Director On Sneaking Stories Past Miyamoto - Wired 2007
http://www.wired.com/2007/12/interview-super/

Wired News: That’s interesting because you don’t really hear about that kind of career path very often, somebody getting into video games in those days because of an interest in storytelling. When you got hired, what was your first job, what did they have you doing?

Yoshiaki Koizumi: My first assignment was to do the art and layout and eventually the writing for the manual for The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past. What was funny was that at the time, it didn’t seem like they’d really figured out what most of the game elements meant. So it was up to me to come up with story and things while I was working on the manual. So, for example, the design of the goddesses as well as the star sign associated with them.

Wired News: Have you seen things change since then, where the story is now coming from the game rather than the instruction manual?

Koizumi: The situation is totally different now. There are so many people with so many different job titles. But back then, the people who wrote the manuals often became the people who came up with most of the backstory for the entire game. The first real game work that I did was on Link’s Awakening. But at the same time, I came in to write the manual, as I did on the previous game. But they had nothing in place. So I ended up making an entire story to go along with the game. The dream, the island, that was all mine.

And so that was my first experience doing the kind of work that we would now call "event design." But there were not too many people at the time with expertise in that area, so I really had free reign to do what I wanted, so long as I didn’t make Miyamoto angry.

- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX JPN Website - 1998
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/azlj/sutori.html
tumblr_nd8lq259HG1rpku4no3_1280.jpg

- The Legend of Miyamoto (Ocarina of Time) - Nintendo Power vol 111 Aug 1998
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/makzelda/interviews/legendofmiyamoto.html

Power: Who’s in charge of creating the story?

Miyamoto: There’s one scenario writer. He wrote drafts and I made comments and changes.

Power: What’s the greatest technical challenge of this game?

Miyamoto: I think the challenge is to create visual expressiveness using lighting and textures - for instance, the smooth skin of the horse and the realistic movements of Link’s hood. How much realistic expression we can make is the biggest challenge for me. But I would like to see less emphasis on the technical aspects. I’m hoping to make a “minature world” where people can play, the same idea as in Mario 64 but more realistic. Meeting a variety of characters is more important than the story line. And action is very important, things like simplifying the button controls for complex actions. In Zelda, players will be able to customize their (C Button) controls and use weapons and items on whatever button they choose.

Power: Let’s get back to Zelda. You said the game’s “System” is more important than its “Story” when you develop a game. Is that true for Zelda this time?

Miyamoto: Yes, but since I have an excellent staff that is strong in every area, I think you’ll find that the story-telling is a real strength in this game.

Power: But the “System” is still the most important part of the game?

Miyamoto: Yes. I don’t think that a story alone can make a game exciting. I’m afraid that people think that I ignore story lines or that I don’t feel that the story has any value. My first priority is whether the game play is interesting. What I mean by that is that a player is actively involved in the game. The story is just one of the ways to get players interested, like the enemies or puzzles. If you just want a good story, you should pick up a novel or see a movie. The difference is in the participation. In a game, you might meet a character, but you don’t find out his story until later, after you do something that reveals the truth about him. It’s all up to the player. You only get that sort of experience with the interactive entertainment. Of course, the scenario, characters and graphics are all important, but its this active attitude that is the most important element.

Power: Will this Zelda be the end of the saga?

Miyamoto: No. Not at all. The action system of this Zelda is completely different from previous games. To me, Zelda games are a always about the concept of the system rather than about a particular story.

- Miyamoto answers 100 questions about OoT - Famimaga 64 Nov 1997
http://www.zeldalegends.net/index.php?n=interviews&id=1997-11-26-famimaga-miya-oot&m=html
http://www.ign.com/articles/1997/11/27/the-z-files-4
http://web.archive.org/web/20010419162118/www.zhq.com/entry/news/december97.htm

Q: What about Ganondorf?

Miyamoto: The human form that Ganon is in before he transforms into a monster gradually changes.

Q: Are the backrounds different in the child and adult eras?

Miyamoto: During the time when Link is an adult, conditions are intensified. Ganon, from the Super NES game, is a human form before he transforms into a monster.
Ganon’s elements change during the adult, since he changes into a monster.

Q: Will this complete the series?

Miyamoto: By no means. If I want to do a sequel, I will.

- Ki no ue no Himitsu kichi Ocarina of Time Staff interview - 1101.com 1998

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/makzelda/interviews/kiootcomments.html
http://www.glitterberri.com/ocarina-of-time/1101-interviews/ganondorf/
http://www.glitterberri.com/ocarina-of-time/1101-interviews/parts-they-want-you-to-see/
http://www.1101.com/nintendo/nin1/nin1-6.htm

(Character Designer) Satoru Takizawa: When I first thought about Ganon, I had the image of a crooked and complex thief, who was basically an all around abominable human being. That’s why I wanted to make Ganon to this image I had, but the Design Team and the Script Director Mr. Osawa said “that’s not the case. This time, Ganon will actually have parts where he is rather good.” In terms of “Fist of the North Star” he’d probably be like Raoh. He’s supposed to be a more good man, with lot’s of charisma and a big-shot attitude, and so we remade him.

In past, when you thought about Ganon in Zelda, he was a pig.
This time, when were collaborating ideas, we thought “He wouldn’t be a pig, would he?” There were even some who thought “I don’t want him to be a pig.” But I still thought that at least the end should have Ganon as a pig. The whole time I wanted to know what Mr. Miyamoto thought, but in the end, I realized that Mr. Miyamoto didn’t have an opinion on the matter, so I decided to do it the way I wanted.

This time, the story really wasn’t an original. We were dealing with the “The Imprisoning War of the Seven Sages” from the SNES edition Zelda. To give that game a little “secret” recognition, I thought that keeping the “pigness” in Ganon would be the correct course. So we made him a beast “with the feeling of a pig.”

http://www.1101.com/nintendo/nin1/nin1-12.htm

(Script Director) Toru Osawa: “Though in this game Zelda is now included in the Seven Sages, the other six have the names of the town names from the Disk System edition “The Adventure of Link.”

In the SNES edition game, the story “Long ago, there was a war called the Imprisoning War” was passed along. A name in the Imprisoning War era is the name of a Town later. They were like “pseudo-secrets.” We wanted to throw these out through the entirety of the game. That thing from then is now this.

Tarin and Marin, a father and girl who appeared in “Link’s Awakening” (GB) were used as the base for a different parent and child who comes out in this game. These are the things that when they are seen by a person who has played Zelda before they will understand. If people begin to think “Do you think that this could be that thing from then?” then I will be happy.”

- Test of Time (Eiji Aonuma interview - Nintendo Power volume 236 Holiday 2008
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/nintendo_power_interview_with

Eiji Aonuma: At first we imagined the Zoras as monsters soft of like mermen, who would be antagonists to humans. The original concept was strong. However, after ha had decided Princess Ruto was going to be one of the sages, that image didn't’ seem to fit anymore, so we changed them to be a friendly race more like humans.

Each of the races has a character fated to become one of the sages later on. We named them after towns in The Adventure of Link so it would appear that the towns had been named after them.” (In the world of Zelda, the events of Ocarina of Time occur before the events of The Adventure of Link.)

- Interview with Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto and Eiji Aonuma - (GamePro transcribe) - Dec 2002
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/makzelda/interviews/tww_conference.html

Q: Where does The Wind Walker fit into the overall Zelda series timeline?

Aonuma: You can think of this game as taking place over a hundred years after Ocarina of Time. You can tell this from the opening story, and there are references to things from Ocarina located throughout the game as well.

Miyamoto: Well, wait, which point does the hundred years start from?

Aonuma: From the end.

Miyamoto: No, I mean, as a child or as a…

Aonuma: Oh, right, let me elaborate on that. Ocarina of Time basically has two endings of sorts; one has Link as a child and the other has him as an adult. This game, The Wind Waker, takes place a hundred years after the adult Link defeats Ganon at the end of Ocarina.

Miyamoto: This is pretty confusing for us, too. (laughs) So be careful.

- Nintendo Dream - Feb 2007

http://www.nindori.com/interview/154zelda/154int_02.html
http://www.thehylia.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1173582355
THE WORLD A HUNDRED YEARS AFTER THE PEACE RETURNED TO HYRULE
–When does Twilight Princess take place?

Aonuma: In the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years later.

–And the Wind Waker?

Aonuma: The Wind Waker is parallel. In Ocarina of Time, Link flew seven years in time, he beat Ganon and went back to being a kid, remember? Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link’s time. In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction. In the middle of this game [Twilight Princess], there’s a scene showing Ganon’s execution. It was decided that Ganon be executed because he’d do something outrageous if they left him be. That scene takes place several years after Ocarina of Time. Ganon was sent to another world and now he wants to obtain the power…

- Famitsu Zelda: The Wind Waker Interview (with Eiji Aonuma) - Famitsu Oct 2002
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/translation/7874/famitsu-zelda-interview

Famitsu: Is there a story connection with the rest of the series?

Aonuma: This time the story begins on an island. It is not the first time a Zelda game has taken place on an island, but you will be surprised if you think it’s just like any other island. The game features a whole new story, but it actually takes place some time after a “certain time period” in Ocarina of Time. Of course, in the game, we prepared elements that will remind players of the prequel. As a result, for those that played Ocarina of Time, there will be some parts where they will think, “Ahh, I remember this.” The word “tradition” also becomes a key word in the game. I am sure you are concerned with what the previous time period has to do with the setting this time, and also, why the sea? We have included a lot of puzzles that hint at this link, so we really want the fans to be looking forward to this title.

Of course, even if you do not consider the link between the series, the story of the game is complete; so that even players that never played the Zelda series can feel comfortable playing.

It is not a game you cannot beat if you did not play the previous titles.

- The Legend of Zelda: Triforce of the Gods (JPN) ENG manual translation - 1991
http://www.zeldalegends.net/files/text/z3translation/z3_manual_story.html

One day, quite by accident, a gate to the Golden Land of the Triforce was opened by a gang of thieves skilled in the black arts. This land was like no other. In the gathering twilight, the Triforce shone from its resting place high above the world.

That is, until one day, completely by chance, the entrance to the Sacred Realm was opened by by a certain group of thieves. It was a world different from our own. The Triforce was there, casting a golden light in the midst of twilight. The group began to push aside one another, changing the color of their eyes, and tried to pressed forward. After the bloody confrontation among comrades had ended, the victor was the leader of the group. When the leader touched the Triforce, his hands stained in fresh blood, the emblems' spirits began to whisper.

"If thou hast a desire, then I shall desire it as well."

Crossing time and space, the leader began to laugh so loudly that it is said to have echoed all the way to the distant Hyrule. The man's name was Ganondorf, and his common name was Ganon of the race of evil thieves. Indeed, the King of Evil Ganon, the one who has threatened Hyrule so, was born at this time.

- The Seal War (The Imprisioning War)

We do not know what Ganon wished for after gaining the Triforce's power. Yet, Ganon's evil made it to even Hyrule as it spread. People of greed were herded and consumed by this power, and disappeared. Black clouds grew in number in the sky, and many sinister happenings began to occur.

The King of Hyrule called upon the Seven Sages of Hyrule, as well as the Knights to seal the source of this evil.
The Triforce itself cannot judge between good and evil. That is because only the gods can do that. However, it could not be assumed that only a good person would get their hands on the Triforce. For that reason, the people of Hyrule were told by the gods to make something that would repulse any evil that may kidnap the Triforce: the blade of evil's bane.

It was called the Master Sword, and it is said that only a true hero could use it. The Sages first had to search for the existence of the Master Sword and a hero to use it. However, the situation was urgent, and Ganon's malice was enclosing on the royal palace. Using the most of their powers, the Sages and Knights threw open a heroic battle with the evil one. The Knights had valiantly used their bodies as shields during the fierce attack, and although they unfortunately perished when their strength had exhausted, this had given the Sages time to complete their Seal.

The people celebrated their victory; Hyrule had been saved from Ganon's misuse of the Triforce's power. This battle, for its many sacrifices, was passed down to future generations as the "Seal War." (Imprisoning War)

- The Legend of Zelda: Triforce of the Gods manga by Ataru Cagiva - 1995/1996

Fallen, Previous Hero: "You seem to be one step closer to my legacy of being the perfect hero. I have high expectations of you. During the Imprisoning War, the one who was wielding the sword... was me. Stand firm, o you who draws my blood. I will be watching over you from the heavens."

Ganon: "I shall use this technique just as I have with the previous hero 600 years ago."

Link: “What the heck is this… is it magic..?! This guy can produce darkness from himself…?!"

Ganon: "Why you..!! This body, which not even the previous hero was able to pierce through... Gahaa!!"

- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - 1998

tumblr_nqdz76D0iN1rpku4no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nqdz76D0iN1rpku4no2_1280.jpg
tumblr_nqdz76D0iN1rpku4no3_1280.jpg

Navi: “Link! I can’t help you! Because of the waves of darkness, I can’t get close! I’m sorry, Link!”

- Hyrule Historia (2011/2013)

tumblr_nqdz76D0iN1rpku4no10_400.png

The Hero of Time is, of all things, defeated by Ganondorf. Ganondorf obtains the Triforce and became the Demon King, Ganon, who continues to menace the world even in later eras.​

Btw, the Hyrule that appears in the main Zelda games (LoZ, ALttP, OoT, TP, etc.) is the same Hyrule in every game with the same landmarks in roughly the same places with the map designed changed up for each entry (Ocarina of Time's overworld is tilted 45 degrees with a mark map's compass, but Death Mountain and Spectacle Rock are still directly north of Hyrule Castle, Lake Hylian to the southeast, a desert to the southwest like in ALttP. The Hyrule of ALttP has Spectacle Rock directly North of Hyrule Castle, just like the Hyrule of LoZ has Spectacle Rock directly north of Level 4...). The overworld design evolves from game to game LoZ -> ALttP -> OoT -> TWW/TP/SS etc.

tumblr_muklmcgKBo1si4pl2o7_1280.png

tumblr_nt716xrXke1rpku4no1_500.png

tumblr_nt716xrXke1rpku4no2_500.jpg

tumblr_ndgcokxAqi1rpku4no3_500.png

I still don't understand how their could be three timelines. If he died against Ganon in Ocarina of Time then he could not have went back in time to live out the events of Majora's Mask.

I still don't understand how their could be three timelines. If he died against Ganon in Ocarina of Time then he could not have went back in time to live out the events of Majora's Mask.

The whole game is about time fuckery, it could be said that tons of timelines where created. Then there is also the possibility of time working off of the idea of a new timeline being created from every single action anyone takes, and in Zelda we are just seeing 3 timelines.

TreIII

I kind of hate the timeline, but at the same time it's interesting to me that Adventure of Link is the furthest into the future of the series. Makes me wonder if all fancier technology of Zelda U places it after Zelda 2.

Zelda U seems to have a very similar map to the original Zelda, so maybe it is a sequel to the originals.

This is what I would hope. I've been waiting for a game that follows after Zelda 2 since I finished that game back in '89.

gafneo said:
What happens after Zelda 2? Did Link lock away evil for good at that point?

Technically, no.

Ganon's resurrection plot was thwarted (because obviously, Link wasn't killed and sacrificed). But there's nothing saying that Ganon just can't find another way to come back.

Boem

Majora's Mask doesn't follow the 'Link dies'-timeline, it follows from the moment Link goes back in time (and becomes young again). the SNES/NES-games etc. are from the 'Link dies'-timeline.

Also this entire timeline-business is stupid and silly and I love it.

A pretty big good example of that is Zelda II's backstory establishing why every princess of Hyrule is named Zelda. Except in the timeline you have like 10+ games which take place before that backstory occurred, so in all those cases it was just coincidence there was a princess Zelda.

Except we don't know when Zelda II's backstory happens. It could easily have happened 10+ games before the present era of Zelda II.

Mikurden

Gah, I can't help getting wrapped up in this stuff periodically even though none of it matters, in more ways than one. Anyway, I referred to an old text file I compiled way before Hyrule Historia came out and I still find it to be a useful, relatively compact and reasonable summary of the "true" timeline before things got complicated to the point where they are now. It's still kinda long, but here's the core of it, if anyone's interested (links may not still be good):

* http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=205&page=1
Chapter 1: Pre-Ocarina of Time (no game)
- Zelda I
Chapter 2: Ocarina of Time (OOT)
Chapter 3: Majora's Mask (MM)
- Link I
- Zelda II
Chapter 4: Link to the Past (LTTP)
Chapter 5: Oracle of Seasons / Oracle of Ages (OOS/OOA)
Chapter 6: Link's Awakening (LA)
- Link II
- Zelda III
Chapter 7: Legend of Zelda (LOZ)
Chapter 8: Adventure of Link (AOL)
- Link III
- Zelda IV (Zelda I)
And that's that. Each grouping of chapters takes place in the same time period, with the same Zeldas and Links between them. And don't worry, both Zelda IV and Zelda I being in the same time period at the end makes perfect sense. If you read the chapters, that is.

Zelda IV is the one from the end of LOZ and exists offscreen in AOL. Zelda I is the sleeping Zelda in AOL. This timeline seems to work quite well until Wind Waker and later Twilight Princess came along and made a mess of things. You could view this timeline as the "pure" one before the waters got muddied and two alternate timelines split off -- WW and TP.

* http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
Major Timeline Threads
Based on the most commonly known and confirmed timeline details found in this article, the below portions of the timeline are all generally accepted, but how these games connect is frequently debated.
* Ocarina of Time (Adult Timeline) --> The Wind Waker --> Phantom Hourglass -->Spirit tracks?
* Ocarina of Time (Child Timeline) --> Majora's Mask --> Twilight Princess
* The Minish Cap --> Four Swords --> Four Swords Adventures (currently unconfirmed if other games occur between these titles, i.e. between TMC and FS)
* A Link to the Past --> Link's Awakening
* The Legend of Zelda --> Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (usually placed after the above two)
* Oracle of Seasons <--> Oracle of Ages (can happen in either order)

* http://www.zeldauniverse.net/timeline-theory/#toc-the-zu-timeline-theory
# Example 1: Built Relying on the Developers
# Example 2: Built Relying on the Games
# Example 3: Built Relying on the Theorist

They do a good job of breaking things down by three different approaches. The "generally accepted" timeline threads from above are not contradicted in any of these approaches. I can't fully judges these since I haven't played all the games, but it seems like: [#1 is kind of a mess], [#2 gives three main timelines to segregate the seemingly contradictory LttP, WW, and TP (4 swords games being totally separate)], while [#3 manages to keep WW, 4S, and LttP in one timeline, with a separate timeline for MM->TP]. Again, I can't fully judge, but #3 seems to be a reasonable way of reconciling everything (especially since the MM->TP timeline is even part of a larger, single timeline in light of the widely accepted dual timelines caused by the in-game time travel of OOT).

Summarizing #3 gives us:
Ocarina of Time (Child Portion) is the root of everything. The two branches from it are as follows:
* Ocarina of Time (Child Timeline) --> Majora's Mask --> Twilight Princess
* Ocarina of Time (Child Timeline) --> Ocarina of Time (Adult Timeline) --> The Wind Waker --> Phantom Hourglass -> The Minish Cap --> Four Swords --> Four Swords Adventures -> A Link to the Past --> Link's Awakening -> Oracle of Seasons <--> Oracle of Ages -> The Legend of Zelda --> Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

So #3 seems like the best overall, but I can't fully judge. I imagine the Oracle games could be stuck virtually anywhere and maybe the MC/4S games could alternately be placed at the beginning of history, before OOT, as Miyamoto apparently once said. Whether this would fit in with the first website I checked above's idea of "Pre-Ocarina of Time" for which there was no game when he wrote his theory is something I can't judge without playing them or reading more in great detail. Or perhaps the "Pre-Ocarina of Time" stuff is very much a necessary, establishing story that wouldn't easily be translatable to a game's more traditional story. And if MC/4S games really take place on an island in a flooded world, it might make more sense to leave them in the chronology of #3. Then the grand sweep of Hyrule's history sorta matches the Bible's. The creation story and very early establishing events are the "Pre-Ocarina of Time" non-game, OOT is early old testament stuff (with MM-TP side-branch), followed by the great flood and stories that take place in that time (WW->4SA, followed by the world post-flood and it's old testament stories (LttP->LA+Oracles), followed by the true and final savior of the new testament, the final Link who defeats Ganon in LOZ and ultimately faces his own dark side in AOL, triumphing over it and proving that he's the ultimate Link who then regains the TriForce of Courage, finally re-uniting them once more. This would seem to be an especially fitting culmination to the entire series considering that many consider AOL to be the most difficult game -- it's proper that Link's final challenge is the brutal Great Palace and a showdown with his own dark side.

Except we don't know when Zelda II's backstory happens. It could easily have happened 10+ games before the present era of Zelda II.
Hyrule Historia puts a definite time period on it--Zelda II's backstory takes place before the original The Legend of Zelda but after Link's Awakening, so with the new timeline it would take place after Triforce Heroes.

But Zelda II's backstory was retconned right away with A Link to the Past, so it's no biggie.

Mak

The backstory of Zelda II was dependent on the location of the Triforce of Courage which was hidden away in the Great Palace by the King of Hyrule, who placed a curse on Hyrule for a great king to appear with the Triforce mark on his hand (Link) to recover the Triforce of Courage. The King had left Power and Wisdom in the Kingdom of Hyrule (The Legend of Zelda). The Princess Zelda of Zelda II's backstory was put to sleep for refusing to tell the secrets of the Triforce the King had told her before he died.

When A Link to the Past came out as a prequel with the origin of Ganon and the Triforce, the entire Triforce was locked away with Ganon in the Dark World/Sacred Realm, so the Triforce of Courage couldn't have been hidden in the Great Palace until later.

TreIII

The backstory of Zelda II was dependent on the location of the Triforce of Courage which was hidden away in the Great Palace by the King of Hyrule, who placed a curse on Hyrule for a great king would appear with the Triforce mark on his hand (Link) to recover the Triforce of Courage. The King had left Power and Wisdom in the Kingdom of Hyrule (The Legend of Zelda). The Princess Zelda of Zelda II's backstory was put to sleep for refusing to tell the secrets of the Triforce the King had told her before he died.

When A Link to the Past came out as a prequel with the origin of Ganon and the Triforce, the entire Triforce was locked away with Ganon in the Dark World/Sacred Realm, so the Triforce of Courage couldn't have been hidden in the Great Palace until later.

Yeah. So again, the only thing about Z2's backstory that doesn't really mesh with the greater overall canon now, is the fact that there's now an "official" rule about naming Hylian Princesses "Zelda", even though there were plenty who were named that, already.

Greenzxy

This timeline is making me confused. I thought OOT Ganon was killed in a link to the past, so how does he come back to life again in LOZ NES? I haven't played ALBW yet, so I'm not sure if link pulling the master sword there caused some sort sacred realm resurrection.

I'm probably going to get murdered for this, but I actually hope that Zelda Wii U completely reboots the story and wipes the slate clean.

1) the timeline is so fucked that I have no attachment to 3 different parallel universes. Even Assassin's Creed doesn't do this shit.

2) the story isn't that big a focus of the series. A simple but effective and well written retelling of the classic Zelda story should be perfectly serviceable.

3) no more need to recon decades old games into nonsense timeline placements. I love Ocarina of Time but its existence in the "official timeline" isn't imperative to my enjoyment of the series

4) now that they seem to want to have a continuity, they can do so without having to fit in games that didn't care about a continuity.

Mael

OMG!
Link in Alttp is living in Lon Lon Ranch!!!!!!

I'm probably going to get murdered for this, but I actually hope that Zelda Wii U completely reboots the story and wipes the slate clean.

1) the timeline is so fucked that I have no attachment to 3 different parallel universes. Even Assassin's Creed doesn't do this shit.

2) the story isn't that big a focus of the series. A simple but effective and well written retelling of the classic Zelda story should be perfectly serviceable.

3) no more need to recon decades old games into nonsense timeline placements. I love Ocarina of Time but its existence in the "official timeline" isn't imperative to my enjoyment of the series

4) now that they seem to want to have a continuity, they can do so without having to fit in games that didn't care about a continuity.

That's basically the whole point of the threads of the timeline, you have games they want to be part of small continuum and they do so.
If they want to they can make the next Zelda to be parallel to Skyward Sword due to a timeline shift because timetravel or whatever.
The fact that so many variation of the timeline exists proves that they don't really give a shit about continuity and really make the game they want to make and when it's done they can put it in space where it fits best.

I honestly don't know how this whole time line thing started. I personally gave it no thought what so ever and just viewed each title as a unique adventure by itself with familiar names and places, much like other games like the Final Fantasy series.

When did people start caring what Zelda titles followed which story wise? I think as you can see by the chart above that know of it makes any real sense and feels forced.

I guess it's not a massive issue if people feel the need to connect all games, but personally I'd just prefer the odd Zelda title to follow another one loosely, much like how Majora's Mask followed Ocarina of Time.

Many of the games in the series are clearly direct sequels/prequels to past games.

The Link in MM is very clearly the same Link as OOT

Stulaw

This timeline is making me confused. I thought OOT Ganon was killed in a link to the past, so how does he come back to life again in LOZ NES? I haven't played ALBW yet, so I'm not sure if link pulling the master sword there caused some sort sacred realm resurrection.

Not the same people, but are the same spirit cursed to come back time and again
Skyward Swords ending explains this which also explains why the sages sealed Ganondorf rather than killed him, since he'll only come back. The same curse is on Zelda (Hylia's human reincarnation) and Link(the hero) made by Demise (who reincarnated into Gannondorf).

PtM

Banned
Haha, I just realised that the doomed timeline is a cop-out. So when they have no idea where to place something, they could just let one of the previous Links fail and branch off a new path.

Mael

Not the same people, but are the same spirit cursed to come back time and again
Skyward Swords ending explains this which also explains why the sages sealed Ganondorf rather than killed him, since he'll only come back. The same curse is on Zelda (Hylia's human reincarnation) and Link(the hero) made by Demise (who reincarnated into Gannondorf).

I was more under the impression that they dared not or could not kill him and just decided to ship him in the best prison they had

Alebrije

Woa , just hope the new Zelda is out of that timeline madness. Every time I want to understand it basically end like :

images

Espada

Man, it still trips me out that the goddesses are technically the biggest villains in the series. They're actually responsible for ending Hyrule in one of the timelines, something Ganon never seems to accomplish reliably.

Also, Minish Cap yeah!

Most likely Ganon's forces captured LttP Link between games and used him in a ritual sacrifice to resurrect Ganon.

Ogodei

They should have made the "hero loses" timeline into the "silver gauntlets" timeline instead. There was a point where Link could no longer proceed in his quest without going back in time (different than the bottom of the well, which is consistent between adult and childhood, you can see the silver gauntlets in their chest as an adult, before you go back and get them).

That would be the easy way to hit the copout, a point where Link had awoken most but not all of the sages, then disappeared from time, so they had to fight a war with Ganon instead, which is the backstory of LttP anyway.

Top Bottom