• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo snags publishing and distribution duties for the next 3 Sonic titles

Ponn

Banned
You are apparently Blind. Since Sonic Colors all of the full physical release games have done well and been good. Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, Sonic All Star Racing, Sonic All Star Racing Transformed, and every Mario/Sonic game has been well received and were all fun. Colors, Generations and the racing games were especially great games honestly.

Sorry guy, but you're out of the loop and the old "sonic is terrible" meme died a few years back. Most you can do is complain about Sonic 4 at this point. Other than it Sonic has been back for awhile. Deal with it.

Well, all Sonic games are bad may be debatable, but are they console movers? In the quantity Wii U needs? It maybe a nice brick in the wall, like Bayonetta, but you hope this wasnt Nintendos Hail Mary.

Sega has a Treyarct/IW deal with Sonic. Generation was done with Unleashed Team, this one is probably by the Colors team.

I'm fucking Jealous. Maybe there's space for a Wii U as a secondary console.

Except Gens came out in 2011, it's been two years by the time LW comes out, they must have all the best folks on this, what else would they have been doing for two years?

Before they'd release a game for each in each respective year (more towards Nintendo, 2007, 2009, 2010 for Wii, and 2008 and 2011 for PS360 if we don't count '06...). Basically in 5 years they had 3 on Wii and 2 on PS360.

But they said after Colors, the teams would merge and work on everything together.

Oh, and can a mod merge the two threads, we don't need two threads about the same topic.

mclem

Burning question: Does Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing count as a Sonic game? The next one being exclusive would be something of a megaton for me.

Actually isnt it about the same, 1.8million generations march last year for ps3 and 360. Sure sold a bit more since then.
Compared to 1million colors.

Still weird, after generations would think Sega would go multiplatform again.

generations was on 3ds too, strangely enough 3ds was the biggest selling platform

Except Gens came out in 2011, it's been two years by the time LW comes out, they must have all the best folks on this, what else would they have been doing for two years?

Before they'd release a game for each in each respective year (more towards Nintendo, 2007, 2009, 2010 for Wii, and 2008 and 2011 for PS360 if we don't count '06...). Basically in 5 years they had 3 on Wii and 2 on PS360.

But they said after Colors, the teams would merge and work on everything together.

Oh, and can a mod merge the two threads, we don't need two threads about the same topic.

Sega decide to make Sonic All Stars racing the "Sonic" game of the last year.

thefro

Well, all Sonic games are bad may be debatable, but are they console movers? In the quantity Wii U needs? It maybe a nice brick in the wall, like Bayonetta, but you hope this wasnt Nintendos Hail Mary.

I'd think if that's all they had they would have showed Sonic at the pre-E3 direct.

They should have a couple more tricks up their sleeves as far as 3rd party output goes, I would hope.

Please get right to Shining Force 3 Complete Colleciton HD or Shining Force 4 while you still have Camelot.

Do this and all will be forgiven.

JaxJag

Banned
This deal would of been amazing ten years ago. Now, Sega isn't the Sega I grew up with. It seems, at least from an outsider, a lot of their talent from then has left.

So this deal makes me have even more apathy towards my Wii U.

I think the idea that a single game is going to sell a console (and not just a Nintendo console) is one that doesn't hold true beyond a few people who really love a certain game or franchise. I don't think there's a whole lot of people that purchase a multi-hundred dollar device with the expectation of playing a single game (unless they like to throw away money or the console is relatively cheap ala Wii/Wii Sports).

It's more about the overall library of a system. Will a Sonic game alone sell systems? Probably not a whole lot. But with other games (Mario, Zelda, etc) as a holistic library? It most likely will.

Why did they bother to mention the PC market in that PR?

"unprecedented support for PC... now let's undermine it by giving our biggest, most beloved property exclusively to Nintendo!"

Sega has a Treyarct/IW deal with Sonic. Generation was done with Unleashed Team, this one is probably by the Colors team.

I'm fucking Jealous. Maybe there's space for a Wii U as a secondary console.
The 2006/Unleashed and Storybook/Colors teams came together to work on Generations, it's just one (huge) team now afaik. No doubt this is who's making Lost World too.

"unprecedented support for PC... now let's undermine it by giving our biggest, most beloved property exclusively to Nintendo!"

Sonic sells best on nintendo consoles. Other titles do well on pc. The pr spin is that they focus everything to the greatest possible extent.

Mojojo

I wish it would extend beyond Sonic.. So many Sega franchises to revive ...
I want Ecco the dolphin X Endless Ocean

Nintendo have 3 gaming devices currently on the market, and inevitably more in the future.

If sega want out of the traditional gaming platform business entirely (as they do), Nintendo are a great fit to pick up their remains as a complimentary publisher.

I bought a 360 for Sonic Unleashed.

I'm so, so, sorry. You poor man.

I doubt many people in the PC market give a shit about Sonic.

It's no Football Manager or Total War.

krizzx

I wish it would extend beyond Sonic.. So many Sega franchises to revive ...
I want Ecco the dolphin X Endless Ocean

You missed your shot at Ecco. The creature made a kickstarter for a sequal, but it bombed.

Not on the Wii U they won't be! Unless every wii u owner buys one

You mean 1/4 of the Wii U owners. Of course, the sales are going to spike next month regardless and when this game drops. The Wii U will have 6million+ users by the end of the year.

Calling for exclusive Namco titles at E3 for the reformation of the

Gd237hC.jpg

This is part of the partnerships they mentioned I guess. Paying for publishing and marketing for exclusivity. I wonder if they got namco on board for any titles.

AniHawk

This is part of the partnerships they mentioned I guess. Paying for publishing and marketing for exclusivity. I wonder if they got namco on board for any titles.

klonoa 3: return to phantomile, klonoa and luigi at the world series, and an unannounced klonoa game.

Ponn

Banned
I think the idea that a single game is going to sell a console (and not just a Nintendo console) is one that doesn't hold true beyond a few people who really love a certain game or franchise. I don't think there's a whole lot of people that purchase a multi-hundred dollar device with the expectation of playing a single game (unless they like to throw away money or the console is relatively cheap ala Wii/Wii Sports).

It's more about the overall library of a system. Will a Sonic game alone sell systems? Probably not a whole lot. But with other games (Mario, Zelda, etc) as a holistic library? It most likely will.

Like i said, its a nice brick in the wall, just wondering how much time and money they are investing in it and how much of this encompasses their save Wii U plan How much of an audience does Sonic capture to buy a console who dont already own the Wii U for platformers and mascots? I just hope for their sake they have something else lined up. Theres a difference between games that sell on a system that already has 40 million plus systems out there and are on black friday sales and games meant to move consoles.

Now a Valkyria Chronicles announcement coupled with unique controls on that pad would have been an insta buy for me. I do realize how niche that would be though and do nothing to help their overall sales.

boo

Gold Member
I like how Nintendo continue to line up exclusives for their two platforms. The more the better. Especially since there is a greater chance of these games taking advantage of the hardware, compared with if they were ports.

Top Bottom