• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo snags publishing and distribution duties for the next 3 Sonic titles

Kusagari

I can only assume Nintendo will buy Sega at some point. If they can't make money from Sonic games on X360/PS3/PC/Vita(lol) and presume they also can't on PS4/Durango, thats er, pretty bad news. Especially if Nintendo is publishing these titles (as with Bayonetta 2 as well!). Like what does the rest of Sega even do these days then?

Nintendo buying a company who's most profitable games are on PC makes zero sense

It would be more likely to see Sega sell Nintendo Sonic than that.

Kerub

Banned
Oh, so it includes spin off games like that olympic game. It would be more impressive if they got three main Sonic games exclusive.

Minions

Would/will be more excited if Nintendo has a lot of input in the creation of the games. Sonic team has seemingly lost their touch. I would not call any of the later games "Great". Some are "decent, or good" but only in comparison to the garbage sonic games they made before them. Compared to other games (non sonic) they are merely average.

What if Sonic Lost Worlds isn't Sonic Adventure 3, but the unannounced game is...

I see LW as a new thing on its own, and I'm HOPING it's not Unleashed 4 (Colors as 2, Gens as 3...).

Hopefully they got Yasuhara on this, he's at NST, don't waste him! :D

And hopefully the 3rd is SA3, but I'm placing my bets on a 3DS exclusive, regardless of what.

AniHawk

Would/will be more excited if Nintendo has a lot of input in the creation of the games. Sonic team has seemingly lost their touch. I would not call any of the later games "Great". Some are "decent, or good" but only in comparison to the garbage sonic games they made before them. Compared to other games (non sonic) they are merely average.

nah. colors and generations are both pretty good video games. with nintendo publishing lost world, there will be an even higher degree of quality control. it generally happens when they publish games.

plus, just one step closer to that mario/sonic platformer crossover.

SykoTech

Fucking megaton I say. I'm suspecting Bayonetta 2 levels of salt (for Sonic nonetheless lol).

Man, you're delusional. Especially since 1 of the 3 titles is just more Olympics junk.

Hope the last one is something worth caring about. Mario & Sonic platformer/action/RPG game already, dammit.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Maybe the third game will be another platformer, later on the console lifecycle.
Wii had Secret Rings, Black Knight and Colors, as exclusive Sonic games.

starmud

wow..., i didn't expect something like this, but, if this is the route the holding company has sega on i wouldn't be surprised to see their catalog sold/licensed out to other companies soon/next gen. as far as the console titles and legacy IP's go.

its smart in the end, they would just be siting on IP that could rot (sonic) or old IP that will go nowhere... but i never expected it to hit all levels of console IP, including sonic.

B.O.O.M

I would be REALLY surprised if this has a Bayo2 like reaction from people...at least looking at this thread that doesn't seem to be the case.

imho they should have spent that money on a franchise that sells more on other consoles...try and bring in a new crowd of gamers to the wiiu

Liamario

Banned
If they can get the guys who made Mario Galaxy involved, this can only be a good thing. The standard for the series has dropped considerably since the gensis.

Huh. Well, I guess if you're going to bail out of AAA console games, might as well give your biggest AAA console game to a proven publisher.

Azure J

Why would Sonic fans be salty over this? Most of 'em already buy Nintendo consoles anyway.

I was wondering about this myself, but then I remembered the Generations PC port was fucking wonderful and this news would probably stifle any PC porting for a good long time.

zruben

Banned
so... it's Sonic Lost World, Mario and Sonic olympic stuff... and something else?...

that's it?... I don't think it's a HUGE megaton. Unless it's Sonic Colors 2 or something like that.

kevinski

Banned
I somehow envision the GamePad being used to place bumpers, spikes and springs to screw over other players even more than the existing level designs already will.

Penguin

Not really. Sonic sells the best on Nintendo systems.

Which is what makes this such a strange move

It's already a franchise that does much better on their systems.. and SEGA would be dumb to avoid them with the sales the Sonic and Mario Olympic games bring them anyhow.

But I'm curious to see what the 3rd game is.. if it isn't a sonic platformer.. could help

Doesn't seem like money well spent. I really do wonder what Nintendo were thinking when they signed up to this, wouldn't that money have been better spent on locking up some interesting games that would at least make the console more desirable?

Then again, it's Sonic and the franchise does still have some pull.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm genuinely curious how Sonic will perform on Wii U as an exclusive.

Lawlzy

Neo Member
Once bitter rivals, now teaming up. This is the state of the industry. Really funny how things are turning out.

I doubt they're going to be making anything so phenomenal to convince people to buy Wii Us just for the new Sonic.

Top Bottom