• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo snags publishing and distribution duties for the next 3 Sonic titles

Guess Who

Banned
I was wondering about this myself, but then I remembered the Generations PC port was fucking wonderful and this news would probably stifle any PC porting for a good long time.

From what I hear, the sales (or lack thereof) of Generations PC were enough to kill future PC prospects regardless of this news.

ohNOitsRO

Give me THIS

49044-sonic-adventure-3.png

Stop giving me stupid ass racing games and fucking olympic bullshit

after the sales of racing transformed I doubt this cost Nintendo any money or any hats
It had an amazing relative performance and a great absolute one but it still looks like a hell of a gamble. I don't imagine Sega not releasing games on PC and PS360 in favor of an ailing console out of the goodness of their heart.

I hate the attitude some of you have regarding Sonic. :|

"Do Sonic games even sell well?"

Yes. Each game sells a million minimum. Sonic is in the Top 20 Best Selling franchises this generation

"Has there even been a good Sonic game lately?"

Yes. Sonic had a rouge few years from 2002-2008 and we act like he's awful. Since 2008, we had Unleashed (considered decent, amazing day time levels), Sonic 4 Episode 1 (considered good, good reviews), Sonic Colors (considered great, great reviews), Generation (Considered great, good reviews), Sonic and All Stars Racing (considered good, great reviews), Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed (considered great, great reviews), and Sonic 4 Episode 2 (considered decent, decent reviews)

Sonic hasn't had a bad game in a long time, stop acting like he's a dead franchise. He still sells millions and makes great games.

I kind of fear that when Lost Worlds continues the trend of good Sonic games, we'll see all the praise go to Nintendo "FINALLY A GOOD SONIC GAME, NINTENDO MUST HAVE BEEN INVOLVED! NINTENDO SAVED SONIC!". We're already seeing some comments like that in this thread, hoping Nintendo influences the game and someone saying "Nintendo will fix Sonic for them." Sega can make good games themselves, and Sega already fixed Sonic themselves.

Darryl

Banned
No offense to Sonic fans, but shame on anyone excited for any Sonic game in 2013.

Sonic Generations was fantastic. It's up there with Trine 2 and the Mario games as the best platformers available right now, IMO.

"Nintendo doesn't do anything to work with third parties"
"Ugh, we didn't mean you should work with Sega!"

lol, "namco-bandai doesn't count nintendo is paying for that". i bet soon it'll be "capcom doesn't count either". the only one that counts is EA to people apparently.

Seik

Banned
No offense to Sonic fans, but shame on anyone excited for any Sonic game in 2013.

It's easy to be excited, the last two games, Colors and Generations, both were excellent games.

Whatever, I'm okay with this and all hype!

AmanoBuff

Oh, so it includes spin off games like that olympic game. It would be more impressive if they got three main Sonic games exclusive.

Completely agree. And even then I wouldn't consider this a megaton. The series is nowhere near as relevant as it was years ago.

Gadirok

Guess Sega can't afford to make games for next gen.

Harsh bro, but they must be pushing their priorities on something else given that they didn't fund Bayonetta 2 and are working on an exclusive contract for Sonic.

I was never too big a fan of sonic since I never enjoyed the first 2 games, and I typically detest third party exclusives, but I honestly don't care if Sonic is exclusive to the wiiU.

Its not going to be its saving grace or anything but it seems like Nintendo is atleast taking the proper actions by moneyhatting Sega, because I don't think their first party output would have been enough to save the wiiU.

How ironic. Sega was once Nintendo's worst nightmare. Now Sega is Nintendo's messiah. Back in the NES days Nintendo had its foot on Sega's neck, now Nintendo has a slobbering love affair with Sega. Interesting times ahead folks. Sega stands to profit from this more that Nintendo. The most this will do for Nintendo is sell more WiiU systems. If Sonic the Lost World turns out to be a pristine Sonic title then I'll buy a WiiU along with Bayonetta 2.

This strategy will jump start the WiiU's slump, but will can Nintendo sustain the momentum after November 2013? The Xbox 360 is still the best selling console in the U.S. and the rumored $99 Xbox 360 releasing later this year makes a steep hill for Ninty to climb. I find it difficult to believe that Nintendo will substantially sway U.S. and EU gamers away permanently with some Sonic games, Luigi, Pikmin and HD remakes. In Japan yes, everywhere else, nope.

Kimawolf

How ironic. Sega was once Nintendo's worst nightmare. Now Sega is Nintendo's messiah. Back in the NES days Nintendo had its foot on Sega's neck, now Nintendo has a slobbering love affair with Sega. Interesting times ahead folks. Sega stands to profit from this more that Nintendo. The most this will do for Nintendo is sell more WiiU systems. If Sonic the Lost World turns out to be a pristine Sonic title then I'll buy a WiiU along with Bayonetta 2.

This strategy will jump start the WiiU's slump, but will can Nintendo sustain the momentum after November 2013? The Xbox 360 is still the best selling console in the U.S. and the rumored $99 Xbox 360 releasing later this year makes a steep hill for Ninty to climb. I find it difficult to believe that Nintendo will substantially sway U.S. and EU gamers away permanently with some Sonic games, Luigi, Pikmin and HD remakes. In Japan yes, everywhere else, nope.

I agree to a point. I think they are trying to build up a huge group of unique titles, to help sell you on the console. Alright we have Zelda, Mario etc, but that not enough, how bout Bayo 2? oh that not good, how about the next three Sonic games? ooh STILL not enough? well I know you guys like SMT, and you like Fire Emblem, how about a game with BOTH? and throw in brawl.

I think they are trying to supplement their lack of a huge crazy platform pusher with enough good games to tip you into wanting to pick it up. That is to say if Mario 3D and Mario Kart won't be.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If they weren't so great at managing their PC side... :-/ this would have made me happy years ago. Not now.

If they would have stepped in right after the Dreamcast and everything that got split between every platform was just on the GameCube, I would have fainted. Today, their games tend to be PC oriented due to the genre needing that kind of input, or multiplatform because there is no reason not to. Nintendo exclusivity is just a barrier instead of the boon it would have been back when their games were spread piecemeal across every platform under the sun.

Nintendo could still buy their console studios and franchises. PC development is quite separate anyways and doesn't even use the Sega franchises. Or the Sega name, the studios are put forefront there.

codhand

What are Amusement Vision doing now that would prevent them from making an F-zero?

I know that this will probably be a Sonic game, but please humor me.

MisterHero

This a fresh direction to go in. However, the risk is greater now that Nintendo's putting their label on a new Sonic. I really really hope this pays off through the games' quality.

How is this a great deal for Nintendo? Marketing and publishing a game is a huge expense... committing to 3 of them might be a bad business decision. Congrats to Sega, though.

sangreal

So there will be 1 more unannounced Sonic exclusive? Cool I suppose and I certainly see how it could benefit both parties, but certainly not a megaton

Not really. Sonic sells the best on Nintendo systems.

Actually isnt it about the same, 1.8million generations march last year for ps3 and 360. Sure sold a bit more since then.
Compared to 1million colors.

Still weird, after generations would think Sega would go multiplatform again.

shaowebb

Sega has one hot sonic game every 10 year average

Cool I guess

You are apparently Blind. Since Sonic Colors all of the full physical release games have done well and been good. Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, Sonic All Star Racing, Sonic All Star Racing Transformed, and every Mario/Sonic game has been well received and were all fun. Colors, Generations and the racing games were especially great games honestly.

Sorry guy, but you're out of the loop and the old "sonic is terrible" meme died a few years back. Most you can do is complain about Sonic 4 at this point. Other than it Sonic has been back for awhile. Deal with it.

Actually isnt it about the same, 1.8million generations march last year for ps3 and 360. Sure sold a bit more since then.

Sega has a Treyarct/IW deal with Sonic. Generation was done with Unleashed Team, this one is probably by the Colors team.

I'm fucking Jealous. Maybe there's space for a Wii U as a secondary console.

ash_ag

This is one of the best things that could happen to Sonic. Really looking forward to the result. Also great for Yakuza to arrive on Wii U. I like where this is going! :D

Joqu

I'm pretty excited! Colors, Generations and All Stars Racing Transformed were all great games.

Colors sold 1.85 million units within the first 2 months of release, it's no doubt at even more now. Sonic All Stars Racing sold the best on the Wii U too. So no, it's not about the same.

Top Bottom