• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo snags publishing and distribution duties for the next 3 Sonic titles

So new Sonic games are a (temporary) Nintendo exclusive? That's interesting, but I can see how it'd be a good move. Nintendo publishing a Sonic game themselves... I hope it's stuff that can rival Colours and Generations...

Kimawolf

I can only assume Nintendo will buy Sega at some point. If they can't make money from Sonic games on X360/PS3/PC/Vita(lol) and presume they also can't on PS4/Durango, thats er, pretty bad news. Especially if Nintendo is publishing these titles (as with Bayonetta 2 as well!). Like what does the rest of Sega even do these days then?

Total War and Football manager games.

Somnid

Very smart for both parties. Sega and Nintendo have high affinity and shared fans. Sega needs someone to get their big titles up and Nintendo could use extra support and exclusives. Hopefully this also mean Nintendo retains a bit of control to talk Sega out of their stupid moves.

Nintendo's publishing moves are definitely getting aggressive. They pretty much have steak in most major Japanese franchises.

Can't say I'm pleased with this news. The next iteration of the Hedgehog engine will be amazing and this just puts us further away from seeing it.

JCX

Perhaps the new Phantasy Star Online will come to Wii U. PSO seemed to do well on gamecube, and barely anyone played it online.

Ty4on

Sonic Adventure 3, perhaps?

Sonic Adventure 3 lets gooooooooooooooooooooooo

third'll probably be Sonic Adventure 3.

They're gonna rerelease it?! :D
256px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

Darryl

Banned
Megaton? Lol. Grasping for anything at this point. Sonic Hasnt been relevant in over a decade.

it's still one of the top selling franchises of all time. has a huge consumer mind share. was in stuff like wreck it ralph. merchandise is still everywhere. franchise could potentially have a come back.

Chronoja

At the worst of times, the best friends are your old enemies. Sorta funny to think when nearly all other 3rd party publishers are completely abandoning Nintendo, Sega, their old nemesis, is giving them a hand.

I just realized Sega probably didn't want to commit resources to next generation consoles because their games would be in direct competition with all other launch titles for the same period. Generally people who buy a system at launch aren't going to grab a Sonic game.

This deal gives Nintendo a boost for the Wii U over the holidays and allows Sega to not focus on the next generation quite yet and wait for a large install base for the games following this exclusive three deal.

Smart move.

scitek

So no PC version of the follow-up to Sonic Generations? Or is Nintendo just publishing exclusive Sonic games akin to Colors?

Neiteio

Smart move on Nintendo's part. Sonic sells and I'm sure there are many Sonic fans who either weren't interested or weren't sold on the WiiU until now, opting instead of get each HD Sonic installment on PS3 or 360. This will drive them to WiiU.

Does this include the Olympics crossover, though? Or does this three-game exclusivity start with Lost World?

EDIT: Oh shit, I just realized this means no more PC Sonic. Generations at max settings is INSANE.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Smart move on Nintendo's part. Sonic sells and I'm sure there are many Sonic fans who either weren't interested or weren't sold on the WiiU until now, opting instead of get each HD Sonic installment on PS3 or 360. This will drive them to WiiU.

Does this include the Olympics crossover, though? Or does this three-game exclusivity start with Lost World?

I hope that the deal would start with Lost World.

Neiteio

I hope that the deal would start with Lost World.
My other question (and perhaps this has been answered -- I haven't had a chance to watch the Direct), is whether Nintendo is just covering publishing costs (marketing, distribution, etc), or if they're also funding the development of these games in some fashion.

I have to imagine there's a lucrative payoff for Sega.

Salt from Sonic games, really? You'll be hard pushed to find many people who are that bothered.

So I assume that leaked multiplatform Sonic is now one of these titles?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone really, actually care about new Sonic games? Even the hardcore fans seem to have given up on being excited for the series.

JDSN

Banned
I can only assume Nintendo will buy Sega at some point. If they can't make money from Sonic games on X360/PS3/PC/Vita(lol) and presume they also can't on PS4/Durango, thats er, pretty bad news. Especially if Nintendo is publishing these titles (as with Bayonetta 2 as well!). Like what does the rest of Sega even do these days then?
They are only one of the best PC publishers with an absurdly talented crew of devs.

But I do believe that Nintendo are courting Sega for something big, kinda like they did with Namco a few years ago that culminated with Monolith Soft's sale.

Sandfox

Salt from Sonic games, really? You'll be hard pushed to find many people who are that bothered.

So I assume that leaked multiplatform Sonic is now one of these titles?

I'm guessing people just don't like that they don't have the option to play it on their other consoles. Its still pretty interesting to see though.

As long as its doesnt include any future sonic racing im ok with this. After sonic generations i realized that regular sonic games are just terrible and i only liked the originals for the music. I could never get very far in them with the terrible platforming and no saves. Also realized sonic is not about speed as everyone says a good sonic game should be, you have to constantly stop and do precise platforming with terrible platforming only a few levels in. Wonder how much money sega got from it. Their quality has improved recently though to be more like the originals the early ones this gen where just laughable. People said console exlusives dont exist anymore lol, maybe not in the same way but if you moneyhat no problem.

Hale-XF11

I could get excited about Sonic games again if this means direct involvement from Nintendo in the creative process. Sega can't seem to manage creating a hit on their own.

Busaiku

"Sega have chosen to exclusively partner with Nintendo to distribute or publish the next three Sonic the Hedgehog titles throughout Europe and Australia," Jurgen Post, COO of Sega Europe, confirmed to GamesIndustry International.

As in its going to be a title with Sonic. =\

F-Zero Sonic

Okay so this answered questions:

The agreement includes M&S, which is a TAD silly as it already is by default, I guess it would've been 2 ACTUAL true exclusives otherwise. :p

And for certain Sega is publishing in NA, but I guess Nintendo is in EU now? Who knows about JP, since Nintendo publishes the M&S series there and Sega in NA and EU. Why would Nintendo not publish worldwide ala Bayonetta 2?

What I realized is, Nintendo's publishing a LOT of games in EU as opposed to other places, pretty sure MH3U and SMT4 are such, this is just another example of that.

I really hope that after the 3rd game (PLEASE BE SA3) comes out, Nintendo and Sega will renew the agreement for more, especially if as we all would expect, the games would sell huge amounts ala Secret Rings, Colors, and the Olympics series, I see no reason for Sega to end it there.

But THIS I never would've imagined happening, it's like a dream, I would've been LAUGHED at if I even suggested this as a possibility.

To say the least, I was freaking out when this was announced.

Top Bottom