• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: some findings about the web eShop

Surprised the page is still up... I mean, it's obviously not a test, so how come they haven't detected anything yet?

Eh, no real reason to hide or remove it. They might throw in some basic authentication via .htaccess/.htpassword files, but I doubt it. People stumbling upon it really aren't doing any harm.

L~A

Eh, no real reason to hide or remove it. They might through in some basic authentication via .htaccess/.htpassword files, but I doubt it. People stumbling upon it really aren't doing any harm.

No, if your service isn't ready to be launched, everything should be kept private and not accessible for any outsider, even if it seems to work. Otherwise, you never know what kind of problems may crop up.

I like being able to find out that sort of stuff before it's launched, but I'd rather they don't mess up something because of that.

I wonder if the fact that the code stuff seems to be working is a sign launch is closer than we might think?

Scum

Hopefully we'll get more info during the Investors' Meeting at the end of the month. This must be pretty close to launch....

L~A

Ah sweet!

That "another user has already bought this game" reminds me... there's no game locked to one user (and therefore not available to other users)?

By the way, do you have the email for using a Wii U DL code?

Cbajd5

Ah sweet!

That "another user has already bought this game" reminds me... there's no game locked to one user (and therefore not available to other users)?

By the way, do you have the email for using a Wii U DL code?

I haven't used a Wii U code, so no. Everything I've posted so far was from 3DS codes, first Kersploosh and most recently Smash Bros Demo codes.

Somnid

No, if your service isn't ready to be launched, everything should be kept private and not accessible for any outsider, even if it seems to work. Otherwise, you never know what kind of problems may crop up.

I like being able to find out that sort of stuff before it's launched, but I'd rather they don't mess up something because of that.

I wonder if the fact that the code stuff seems to be working is a sign launch is closer than we might think?

It depends. If you're confident enough about security then it's fine. This isn't a secret project.

Jethro

Hopefully we'll get more info during the Investors' Meeting at the end of the month. This must be pretty close to launch....

I guess so. Iwata will speak about the progress they made on Wii U, mentioning the recently released or upcoming Web eShop.

Gordeli

I just want to use paypal to buy my games and not go to a general store to get some cards. Please nintendo, put it on the eshop web page at least.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I just want to use paypal to buy my games and not go to a general store to get some cards. Please nintendo, put it on the eshop web page at least.
Well you can buy eShop credit via PayPal, at least here in Europe.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well you can buy eShop credit via PayPal, at least here in Europe.

But it is somehow country or currency restricted. I live in Austria, but I have my main NNID and the Wii U set for UK, yet I can't buy eshop codes from paypal gifts in pounds (I get always a strange error) and my guess is because I have my paypal account in an euro country. Buying euro codes works though. But even better would be to be able to buy the games directly using paypal.

L~A

But it is somehow country or currency restricted. I live in Austria, but I have my main NNID and the Wii U set for UK, yet I can't buy eshop codes from paypal gifts in pounds (I get always a strange error) and my guess is because I have my paypal account in an euro country. Buying euro codes works though. But even better would be to be able to buy the games directly using paypal.

Should've set your NNID to Ireland so you could use euros.

Anyway, checked something real quick.

The eshop.nintendo.net page was last updated on Saturday, october 11 2014 13:52:31
The redeem page was last updated on Tuesday, octobre 14 2014 15:42:14

And the security certificate:

sanstitre5hrqe.png

Scum

The eshop.nintendo.net page was last updated on Saturday, october 11 2014 13:52:31

Nearly there...

L~A

Is it the error you encountered?

Error Code904-2001

The code you entered cannot be used on this website.

Please confirm whether the code you entered is meant to be used here.

If the problem persists, please make a note of the error code and use the Contact Us link to report the error.

If yes, they don't accept those codes. Above message was for the Nintendo Network Deluxe program 5$ coupons.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Is the security certificate good, or very good, then?

Plus, the redeem page got its last update...today, uh. Maybe they've blocked preople freely using it with that last update?

L~A

Is the security certificate good, or very good, then?

Plus, the redeem page got its last update...today, uh. Maybe they've blocked preople freely using it with that last update?

Not an expert in the field, but it's pretty good encryption, yeah.

Can someone actually compare those details with those from the 8.0 update for the 3DS? I remember they changed some stuff regarding encryption.

Not an expert in the field, but it's pretty good encryption, yeah.

Can someone actually compare those details with those from the 8.0 update for the 3DS? I remember they changed some stuff regarding encryption.

The type of encryption used isn't comparable. This is just a SSL encryption -- has nothing to do with the system encryption on 3DS.

All this cert tells you that is interesting is that:
  1. They implemented this very recently (cert made Oct 7)
  2. They may have subdomains below eshop.nintendo.com -- example: blah.eshop.nintendo.com

Other than that nothing to see here.

L~A

The type of encryption used isn't comparable. This is just a SSL encryption -- has nothing to do with the system encryption on 3DS.

All this cert tells you that is interesting is that:
  1. They implemented this very recently (cert made Oct 7)
  2. They may have subdomains below eshop.nintendo.com -- example: blah.eshop.nintendo.com

Other than that nothing to see here.

We already know about the sub-subdomains (check the OP), though we don't quite know how they're used.

About the encryption, I was thinking of the auto-download system, where you can buy stuff on the web eShop and it starts downloading automatically... but guess I was off-track here.

And yeah, the whole thing is very recent. All this wasn't there last Friday, and the screencap above shows they apparently "launched" the page on Saturday.

DizzyCrow

watershed

Banned
Interesting. So it's been quietly integrated into the Nintendo official site without much fanfare. I wonder if Nintendo will make a bigger deal over this at some point to let consumers know and try to raise sales.

L~A

Interesting. So it's been quietly integrated into the Nintendo official site without much fanfare. I wonder if Nintendo will make a bigger deal over this at some point to let consumers know and try to raise sales.

I doubt it's the same thing, to be honest, though they're definitely related.

Cbajd5

I'm disappointed that there's no special error for codes that are for the wrong region.

On that note, does anyone want an ORAS demo code for Europe or Germany or however Europe works with eShop codes?

Alec

I was able to redeem my Pokemon 3DS demo code through the site, got an e-mail confirmation as well. It still tells me to put my 3DS into Sleep Mode to have it automatically download...I'm actually at work and don't have my 3DS on me, so I guess I'll check it when I get home in 8 hours.

Alec

I too redeemed the Pokemon demo using the webpage, showed up on the 3ds immediately, very smooth process.

Mine didn't actually show up on my 3DS...but I forgot I had a Homepass setup for Germany and it error'ed out when I tried to go to the eShop because of the region...probably had something to do with it.

Alec

Nintendo needs a pre load option. Especially with how slow download and install time are.
They allowed people who pre-ordered a digital code of Pikmin 3 from GameStop to download the game a day early. I would love to see that return in place of a preload system (if they can't implement preloading for some reason, that is)...especially since downloads can be sent to the system automatically now.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
L~A, a question: the first times you got the eshop.nintendo.com page, did the "Enter download code" option come up in French or in English? A few days ago, I saw the page again, and it came up with the message translated, but the "Enter download code" option untranslated, while today that's translated as well. I'm asking because it's possible that message already appeared translated and that time it didn't it was just a temporary screw up on their front.

P.S. I tried to redeem a few minutes ago, I got into the (failed) redeem page we all know, nothing different.

L~A

Other than the error page, everything has always been in English (language my browser is set at). You got all the pics in the OP, nothing has changed since :(

Neo Dark

Useless but pretty interesting - if you enter https://samurai.wup.shop.nintendo.net/ (this is the top-level URL of the site which the web eShop accesses for images, as I suppose), it displays default Apache index page. You will get an HTTPS certificate error, though.

Let me remind you - WUP is the code abbreviation for Wii U (like NTR for Wii, DOL for GameCube etc). I should check CTR (3DS) too.

Why samurai? I don't know.

o8Zp4mr.png

EDIT: https://samurai.ctr.shop.nintendo.net/ works the same as the WUP one.

That's pretty cool. And probably samurai cause Nintendo will make you perform sudoku if you keep digging further lol.

By the way, Wii was actually REV since it was codenamed Revolution. NTR was actually the DS which was codenamed Nitro. Got a bit mixed up there.

TheMoon

Ok, tried to get the redeem page this morning... failure. But for some reason, I got disconnected and got to a login page with this URL:

sanstitrerxf76.png

I then tried http://id.nintendo.net and I ended up on this page https://id.nintendo.net/secure/account/settings/authorizations

sanstitre1naftm.png

Now, no idea since when it's there... I don't think there's any service using NNID as authentification, is there? It's something Nintendo talked about at E3.... 2012, but that's it.

Authorization Management. The magic words we all want to hear. Just the description doesn't exactly match the thing we want^^

TheMoon

This sucks, Nintendo. We should at least get the option to have it download while the system is sleeping. What's the point of buying it online if I'm going to need get on the eShop to actually download it anyway?

Have you even read anything? THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IT DOES!

It sends it to your system automatically.... OR ... it gives you a code that you can either redeem yourself if you don't want to enter your NNID or you can gift that to someone.

Reading is a wonderful thing!

am_dragon

As someone that supports a set of proprietary applications for a specific internet connected device I'm going to suggest you have found links to the actual console based e-shop.

The e-shop is likely just a web app, it's listening on the internet for request from Nintendo consoles. Nintendo is using it's own root certificate authority because it doesn't care if web browsers trust it or not, the site is for consoles. Nintendo consoles trust that Nintendo G3 root certificate, no need to pay for expensive certs when you can handle it yourself.

Not to rain on the parade but I would guess the samurai. address is a pre-production site, it could the the real site, or even a specific game page on the e-shop. Without the rights to browse the site, it's hard to say. I would also guess that the "e-shop" web application uses some proprietary extension for the default web page allowing the consoles to launch the e-shop but no one else.

Have you even read anything? THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IT DOES!

It sends it to your system automatically.... OR ... it gives you a code that you can either redeem yourself if you don't want to enter your NNID or you can gift that to someone.

Reading is a wonderful thing!

I read the image multiple times but I'm still not seeing where it says that, no. If I'm missing it, great.

Lexxism

I read the image multiple times but I'm still not seeing where it says that, no. If I'm missing it, great.

Unless you were talking about pre-ordering games then yeah you are correct. They will only see you the download code. The existing games are the only games will be downloaded directly to your unit if you buy it from Nintendo.com

TheMoon

Sorry if I was a bit harsh. I was put off by your reaction to this when we've already learned from this thread that sleep-mode downloads are a thing. If you would not just read this image but also the post directly below, you'd have your answer and could've saved yourself the unwarranted anger.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134333711&postcount=225

Piccoro

As someone that supports a set of proprietary applications for a specific internet connected device I'm going to suggest you have found links to the actual console based e-shop.

The e-shop is likely just a web app, it's listening on the internet for request from Nintendo consoles. Nintendo is using it's own root certificate authority because it doesn't care if web browsers trust it or not, the site is for consoles. Nintendo consoles trust that Nintendo G3 root certificate, no need to pay for expensive certs when you can handle it yourself.

Not to rain on the parade but I would guess the samurai. address is a pre-production site, it could the the real site, or even a specific game page on the e-shop. Without the rights to browse the site, it's hard to say. I would also guess that the "e-shop" web application uses some proprietary extension for the default web page allowing the consoles to launch the e-shop but no one else.

You're maybe right. Maybe the web shop will never exist. But that doesn't change the fact that we can redeem codes through that site and have the games auto downloaded in our consoles through this method, which is very convenient.

Top Bottom