• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo stock up nearly 5% this morning

Instro

If they end up increasing the FY forecast for the Switch as expected, I'm sure it will shoot up a fair amount.

I don't understand peoples obsession with Nintendo and why you feel the need to personally congratulate them for having their stocks raise.

Like...why.

I've been holding onto my shares for a while now.

Had considered dumping them after Splatoon's release, but decided to hold off and now am glad I did. Holding until they release their fiscal results next Spring.

C.Mongler

Is this news? This is almost certainly the result of the news of Nintendo's credit rating increase. Typical stock stuff. It'll probably have a couple more days of growth followed by a drop-off as the shorties take their profits...followed by more growth because Nintendo is doing well right now.

I mean good for them and all, but we're going to be making thread every other week about $NTDOY if every bump they get is thread-worthy.

I moved part of my 401k to a Asia Pacific fund that includes Nintendo and tencent among others. I thought it was a low risk fun thing at the time but it's been doing really well.

Thats great news for the big N. I remember reading stuff after the WiiU and people were so negative saying Nintendo was done, that they were going to go bankrupt and all that sorta thing (which was kinda ridiculous cause Nintendo could sustain itself pretty easily over arguably one poor generation) its good to see the Switch and the 3DS are firing on all cylinders for them.

Especially after Satoru Iwata cut his own pay in half after poor financial results, rather than blaming his employees, if more CEO's on our side of the world would only adapt this method.

When Target pulled out of Canada with record losses and everyone lost their jobs, the payment the CEO received all in was as much as all the other employees combined which was 16 weeks of pay per each employee, which worked out to be $15.9 million in severance alone and with stock options and other benefits closer to $61 million for one freakin failure of a guy.

No wonder North America is so messed up, the point being is alot of other companies could learn alot from how Nintendo has bounced back.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand peoples obsession with Nintendo and why you feel the need to personally congratulate them for having their stocks raise.

Like...why.

Some people own shares in companies like Nintendo. Some people are happy when companies they like do well. This extends beyond Nintendo and into Sony, Microsoft, publishers, and even indie devs as well (the industry as a whole, really).

Is this news? This is almost certainly the result of the news of Nintendo's credit rating increase. Typical stock stuff. It'll probably have a couple more days of growth followed by a drop-off as the shorties take their profits...followed by more growth because Nintendo is doing well right now.

I mean good for them and all, but we're going to be making thread every other week about $NTDOY if every bump they get is thread-worthy.
are we having weekly Nintendo stock watch threads?

It's interesting that ninentdo stock has more than doubled in a year and a half. It's just one more indicator how right nintendo is doing. Particularly today where it's gone up nearly 5%.

Is this not news?

rudger

I've been holding onto my shares for a while now.

Had considered dumping them after Splatoon's release, but decided to hold off and now am glad I did. Holding until they release their fiscal results next Spring.

Unless something dramatic happens, I'd remind you that they also have the Universal deal which you should see the effects of during the Tokyo Olympics. This hasn't been mentioned in the recent stock threads. They have a very good long term strategy in place.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
*raises hand*

D-does this mean Capcom support now? Surely... *looks out window wistfully*

Pass the test first, dear gamer.

Capcom support technically already is there, just mainly tepid titles so far. I'm sure there will be better announcements in the coming years.

Pikma

Banned

If you think something is not threadworthy then contact a mod

C.Mongler

are we having weekly Nintendo stock watch threads?

You tell me, that's precisely what I'm asking.

They had a similar bump on Friday, and smaller, but still nice bumps on the 12th, 11th, 8th, and August 28th, looking at the previous month. They're a company with good prospects though, so it's kind of expected.

It's interesting that ninentdo stock has more than doubled in a year and a half. It's just one more indicator how right nintendo is doing. Particularly today where it's gone up nearly 5%.

Is this not news?

Sure, if the topic was about NTDOY's YTD or a quarterly or something, but you literally focused on the nice, but not really that uncommon, bump they saw at opening today, which usually happens when a company sees really good financial news. If anything the up in investment rating is the news here, not really the stock price increase.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I bought in 2012 at 14 bucks and some more last year around 30. I'm sitting on a pretty big profit, trying to figure out what to sell at.

I bought in this year at 34... not a ton, but enough... I'm going to hold out until 70ish, which I don't think is outside of the realm of possibility.

rudger

I bought in 2012 at 14 bucks and some more last year around 30. I'm sitting on a pretty big profit, trying to figure out what to sell at.

I did the same. My wife was concerned by how much NTDOY I had and convinced me to sell a bunch whenever it spiked. I giver her a hard time now and then, but diversifying isn't the worst plan....plus I kept buying and selling it over the last few years. Its constant ups and downs were fairly predictable, especially whenever people were clearly reacting to non-news.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Huh? He said id, not I'd.

Sorry, that was autocorrect. I intended to type "id" and the way he said it bothered me, but like, I've already expended more effort on thinking about it than it was worth. I apologize for wasting ascii characters.

Trying to get into China makes sense. I hope it leads to actual Switch consoles being sold there and not just Hong Kong. A lot of the games already provide Chinese language.

I recall NVIDIA getting the rights to some Nintendo games for their Shield in china.
Or at least it was rated for asian markets/rumor.

Wonder if this means the deal is off or investors might be getting ahead of themselves thinking Nintendo is bringing the switch to china

-Horizon-

Pass the test first, dear gamer.

Capcom support technically already is there, just mainly tepid titles so far. I'm sure there will be better announcements in the coming years.

In 2 more years I'm sure we'll finally get Okami for $50 with an ign watermark and Resident Evil 4 The Great Leon Switcheroo.

i think its because of news that they're going to try to enter China again in 2019 with Tencent making games for the switch could lead to some partnership

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-deal-with-tencent-paves-way-for-china-push-1505825294

This.

When it comes to Nintendo we think of "smartphones", "Universal Studios", or "Going third-party" as only options if their hardware fails, but being able to go into China is big. If they can do that profits could soar.

rudger

This.

When it comes to Nintendo we think of "smartphones", "Universal Studios", or "Going third-party" as only options if their hardware fails, but being able to go into China is big. If they can do that profits could soar.

Sure, but in reality they have teased China multiple times and shot the idea down. I'm not entirely sure what has changed to make people think China is happening. A Tencent game is great, but doesn't really mean China is happening.

Tiktaalik

I bought in this year at 34... not a ton, but enough... I'm going to hold out until 70ish, which I don't think is outside of the realm of possibility.

In the big bull run after the Wii was a success it got to about 70s-80s level so it is possible, especially if Nintendo continues to do reasonably well with Mobile as well.

Like...why.
because they like to see the company they like do well? Do congrats for a company really bother you?

Like...why.

Think of it this way. During the Wii U's launch until mid 2016 when Pokémon GO launched, the stock hovered around ~14,000-17,000 yen.

Now it's ~41,000 yen.

You wanna keep an eye on that.

Scrawnton

The best news of all is the stock prices is through the roof while Nintendo is focusing on and finding success with hardcore gamers. This is big compared to how the Wii was successful and stock was up only because of chasing casuals.

Top Bottom