• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Dev Kit Stats Leaked? Cortex A57, 4GB RAM, 32GB Storage, Multi-Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope this thing supports SD cards like the 3DS does. A 720p screen would be alright seeing as it's a handheld and that's probably what the games are going to run at anyways.

Schnozberry

SD cards are slooooow and don't have the best longevity.

You can get SD cards up to 300MB/s. Much faster than hard disk on average. Longevity is at least 5 years on most cards and higher quality ones are double that or more, and that's in digital cameras that have a lot more overwrites than what you'd expect from a game console.

fernoca

Also true, didn't think about that, besides sd cards to expand the Switch main memory they could allow to use any usb 3.0 hard disk just like I do on Xbox One, of course you would have those games only when the console is plugged into the dock, but still it's something I can definitely see happen, and would be a great feature
The Wii U allowed any USB HDD since launch, so is not crazy to think that Switch will allow it.

On the same trailer it shows people "taking their gaming on the go".

Some are thinking more of 3DS and having hundreds of games installed. While that could be possible, the main thing seems to be to just have a select few games on the "tablet", while having the dock in the house with everything.

So 32GB internal makes sense, expandable with SD. And the dock with a 1TB HDD USB plugged.

Gator86

LOL at people complaining about 32 GB when the thing uses cartridges and SD cards. Come on.

So basically they just offloaded the cost of storage to the consumer, adding to the total price of the console. Sounds legit. I wonder if this includes a charging/power cord.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So basically they just offloaded the cost of storage to the consumer, adding to the total price of the console. Sounds legit. I wonder if this includes a charging/power cord.

Do you complain about this with phones?

Schnozberry

Everybody has different storage needs, and SD cards are cheap. There may also be internal storage in the dock so that you can transfer games for use on the go.

Why would you assume that?

The XBO is a home console that's not constrained by the battery and thermal considerations of a mobile device with a built in display. It also has over twice the memory bandwidth of a TX1, and that's before you take esram into account.

From what I've read, XBO's (and PS4 for that matter) GPU design is 2-3 years older than the Maxwell/Pascal, so they're less efficient processors. The other thing about AMD processors is that a fair percentage of their FLOPS are dedicated to GPGPU, more so than CUDA on Nvidia.

It's why people tend to say that Nvidia FLOPS > AMD FLOPS when comparing them equally.

It doesn't excuse the differences in memory bandwidth.

Sutanreyu

720p screen? :(

My Moto G (1st gen!) from 2013 has a 720p screen!
My Nexus 7 (2nd gen) from 2013 has a 1080p screen!

They're now fitting 2k screens in phones...! A 1080p screen would have been best!

Zil33184

I really hope that this is just pessimism and not a hint. I'm not expecting anything more powerful than this at least in terms of GPU, but that RAM (both bandwidth and capacity) and only quad-core CPU are death sentences for third-party support.

I wouldn't expect more than 64bit lpddr4-3200, tbh. This thing can't command a premium price like an iPad pro. My guess is it launches at $299 to compete with PS4 slim and the Xbox One S.

Lucifon

This is absolutely a good thing. Unless you'd rather pay extortionate amounts for built in storage.

18-Volt

It's not the same, console quality games take lots of room. Potentially tens of GBs. It will be dependent on SD cards and if digital you likely won't be able to take everything with you at once. This is actually a scenario where physical media has tangible benefits because flash storage hasn't caught up to where we want to be.

Games probably won't look same on dock and on handheld, so when you put the game on handheld's drive it could take less place. Dock enhancements are probably separate downloads that you can put in exterior USB storage unit. Similar to XCX "enhancements"

You can get SD cards up to 300MB/s. Much faster than hard disk on average. Longevity is at least 5 years on most cards and higher quality ones are double that or more, and that's in digital cameras that have a lot more overwrites than what you'd expect from a game console.

Sure, SDXC and SDHC are way above HDD's but you're looking at what $200 for 128gb for one of them. Affordable 128GB SD cards are slow, then :p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

They're now fitting 2k screens in phones...! A 1080p screen would have been best!

Do you know how much phones cost?

Vena

That's good or err... maybe bad. Seems less likely they use 16nm in that case. Do they make Pascal in 20 nm?

Pascal is die-shrunk Maxwell, there's no actual major architectural changes. 16nm = Pascal, 20nm = Maxwell. The original leak to accompany the nVidia rumor was Pascal.

Schnozberry

The DPI is fine. Running games at the native resolution of your display is a better idea than trying to shoehorn an expensive display in for no reason, and the handheld isn't going to push better than 720p. 1080p offers no benefit for the content you'll be using the Switch for the most.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

Your smartphones don't run non-mobile games for hours.

lenovox1

Battery life. Battery life. Battery life. And I doubt this thing will achieve bettery life greater than 3-5 hours anyway. And you wanted it to be worse because of some number that isn't actually going to effect your enjoyment of the device.

(Higher DPI is best for text and interface. No one is going to be reading anything more than a manual off this thing. For gaming, the 720p vs. 1080p on a 6 in. screen is a meaningless distinction. Unless you hoped to strap a giant tablet on your head to play VR titles.)

Battery life.

Somnid

Games probably won't look same on dock and on handheld, so when you put the game on handheld's drive it could take less place. Dock enhancements are probably separate downloads that you can put in exterior USB storage unit. Similar to XCX "enhancements"

I assume most games won't do that because it's an added complexity, but it's possible.

FStubbs

Ok now think of the graphical power you're wasting pushing all of those extra pixels.

Better offloaded than an added cost. Look at phone models 32GB -64GB how much extra does that cost? I already have a 256GB microsd card in my phone I can use and a portable drive on my pc I can use. I don't need to be over charged for memory. standard memory is better and cheaper. Your old 1tb hdd will come in handy even your old ssd's. THis thing uses cartridges anyway.

fernoca

Remember costs involved.
Plus just look at a Vita with a 540p screen.

Still looks beautiful in 2016.

We honestly have no idea. 16nm Pascal makes the most sense for battery life and cooling reasons. Tegra X1 ran hot and ate batteries.

It's got active cooling and reportedly crappy battery life.

fernoca said:
Remember costs involved.
Plus just look at a Vita with a 540p screen.

Still looks beautiful in 2016.

With non-native games? Not really. But that's exactly why 720p is a good move.

MadFerIt

It would make perfect sense that the development kit has these specs, as that is the Tegra X1 chipset.

The rumoured Pascal Tegra for NX (Switch) would be the next generation of this chipset, so it makes perfect sense for development kits (prior to the Pascal chipset being ready) to use the X1.

elyetis

Why would you want to waste battery life and increase the cost, only to see most 3d game not being displayed at native resolution.

fernoca

With non-native games? Not really. But that's exactly why 720p is a good move.
But non-native games will also look bad on 1080p or 4K screens.

Is why just looking at the resolution does nothing. For the size and everyhing else it does, 720p is more than great.

Heck, 540p was expected for some time and it would have been fine, as long as it wasn't some weird resolution like Wii U and 3DS.

tkscz

Sure, SDXC and SDHC are way above HDD's but you're looking at what $200 for 128gb for one of them. Affordable 128GB SD cards are slow, then :p

Umm... do you live in Australia or something? A $128GB SD card at the very least is $30. Hell, 256GB isn't going to cost you $200. $150 at the most, $60 at the least.

"Wii U to use Waton's Brain"

I hope that's not the case this time. People should be worrying whether or not the CPU is better than the Jaguar

It's an ARM and Jaguar is an x86. It's not going to be as powerful, but it can be more efficient depending on the ARM and how many they have in it (Nintendo are known for having 2 ARMs in handheld devices). My question is still, is it Pascal, Maxwell with Pascal Assets, or Maxwell. According to Nvidia it's custom and Nintendo is known to use old GPUs and add modern assets to it.

Schnozberry

Amazon has Sandisk Ultra 128GB cards for $40. They are 150MB/s, which is a good deal faster than the stock drives in the PS4 and XBO. It really won't be an issue.

MuchoMalo

Banned

PS4 can barely handle 1080p, and you want that in this?

I wouldn't expect more than 64bit lpddr4-3200, tbh. This thing can't command a premium price like an iPad pro. My guess is it launches at $299 to compete with PS4 slim and the Xbox One S.

Tegra Parker supports 128-bit LPDDR4 though. Nintendo usually cares about memory bandwidth, so for that to change is really shitty. That bandwidth means that it'll perform worse than Wii U in some instances.

Schnozberry

It's got active cooling and reportedly crappy battery life.

We're all guessing at this point. It could very well have the X1. We'll probably have to find out from a developer that's willing to talk about it after the console releases. I don't expect to find out from Nintendo.

NeOak

https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/789116886109655041

Four ARM Cortex-A57 cores, max 2GHz
NVidia second-generation Maxwell architecture
256 CUDA cores, max 1 GHz, 1024 FLOPS/cycle
4GB RAM (25.6 GB/s, VRAM shared)
32 GB storage (Max transfer 400 MB/s)
USB 2.0 & 3.0
1280 x 720 6.2" IPS LCD
1080p at 60 fps or 4k at 30 fps max video output
Capcitance method, 10-point multi-touch

This reads like a Tegra X1 dev board.

Which would make sense they were using that as a prototype dev kit. Just like the G5 Mac Pros back in 2004 for the Xbox 360.

Squalor

It's like saying Wii failed because people couldn't keep track of game discs, SD cards and their Wiimote + nunchuck. You change games infrequently and they are stored with the system, SD cards will switch maybe once for most people, controllers actually attach to the system making them among the hardest to lose.
Since when was the Wii meant as an on-the-go console?

Oh, right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom