• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Dev Kit Stats Leaked? Cortex A57, 4GB RAM, 32GB Storage, Multi-Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KageMaru

https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/789116886109655041

Four ARM Cortex-A57 cores, max 2GHz
NVidia second-generation Maxwell architecture
256 CUDA cores, max 1 GHz, 1024 FLOPS/cycle
4GB RAM (25.6 GB/s, VRAM shared)
32 GB storage (Max transfer 400 MB/s)
USB 2.0 & 3.0
1280 x 720 6.2" IPS LCD
1080p at 60 fps or 4k at 30 fps max video output
Capcitance method, 10-point multi-touch

uL55Bvu.gif

I hope these are false because this is a joke.

Eric_S

A57?

I hope that'll be switched to a A72 or A73, die space needn't be that much bigger and they are nicer designs in terms of losses, leading to better battery life. Which is kind of a neat thing on a hand held device.

Otherwise *shrug*, if it has got good games I may be interested.

jjasso21

I usually get physical games myself. But if you get a lot of digital titles, you will burn through that 32 GB like nothing. But if you can use an external HDD, then it shouldn't matter all that much.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This leak if not false it's at least outdated. Pascal Tegra has a much nicer memory system that makes this totally irrelevant.

720p screen? :(

My Moto G (1st gen!) from 2013 has a 720p screen!
My Nexus 7 (2nd gen) from 2013 has a 1080p screen!

They're now fitting 2k screens in phones...! A 1080p screen would have been best!
And risk having a significant portion of the library end up sub-native resolution, like the Vita ?

No, thank you. 720p on a 6 inch screen looks absolutely fine.

parmanu

720p makes sense because NX will not have power to push 1080p in any case. But I hope they keep it priced competitively because even Wii for all its astonishing run was priced below competition initially.

It's barely a step up from the Wii U if true and that's the important part.

Double the RAM & more CPU & GPU power will be plenty for Nintendo themselves & current 3DS & Vita developers. It'll be enough for a lot of Western PC/console developers as well - the ones that scale their games to run on a wide variety of hardware configurations. Yeah, you're not doing 4k gaming on any but the simplest games, but this should be way easier to port to than the Wii U was.

starmud

Every ninety reveal, why bother coming in expecting certain specs, we all know how this shoe drops and in the end it rarely defines the console or ever its quality.

NeOak

https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/789116886109655041

Four ARM Cortex-A57 cores, max 2GHz
NVidia second-generation Maxwell architecture
256 CUDA cores, max 1 GHz, 1024 FLOPS/cycle
4GB RAM (25.6 GB/s, VRAM shared)
32 GB storage (Max transfer 400 MB/s)
USB 2.0 & 3.0
1280 x 720 6.2" IPS LCD
1080p at 60 fps or 4k at 30 fps max video output
Capcitance method, 10-point multi-touch

Here are the Jetson X1 Nintendo Shift specs!

/s

Vita 64G: $100 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F27JGVA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

256GB SD Card: $80 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WWBCS1Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

64GB SD Card: $22 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WWBCSG4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I mean, the same 64GB of space costs almost 5 times more for the Vita. What the Fuck are you smoking?

fernoca

Wait 32GB Internal Storage?

How can it even do that when games these days are 50GB+?

What am I missing?
Not all games are that big. Splatoon was under 5GB. It varies of course. Skyrim is 17GB on Xbox One, this one might be a bit less than that.

Plus with games in cards they could allow some space to store something, at least saves.

They go down in price with time, there are SD Cards of 1TB.

The biggest Vita memory was 64GB and it costs between $80 to $100. A 64GB SD cards costs under $20.

L.O.R.D

People asking for 1080p screen don't understand how resources work.
Make the pad with 1080p will take too much resources from the machine.
I'll rather have good quality graphics with decent frames instead of resolution.

If you want to compare it to mobile phone,then get a mobile phone,can the mobile gaming have all that first party support with with actual games?

Check the GB/$ ratio. You're getting 2gb or more per dollar there. For the vita, you're getting about half a GB per dollar. Not remotely the same.

Size of the game matters too, 32-64gb with games at most getting 4-6gb (max of what the carts can hold plus patches) vs games going 64gb+ (apparently the max NS carts can hold).

You're getting more GB per $ but that means nothing if the games go full size, in the end you can put less games.

Not enough of a leap over the Wii-U. Plus this pretty much confirms we'll see very few 3rd party ports.

They have all the major middleware companies on board right from the start which is a huge advantage over the Wii U for 3rd party support. And as several people here have said, these stats could easily be outdated (or not accurate).

NeOak

Size of the game matters too, 32-64gb with games at most getting 4-6gb (max of what the carts can hold plus patches) vs games going 64gb+ (apparently the max NS carts can hold).

You're getting more GB per $ but that means nothing if the games go full size, in the end you can put less games.

Huh?

You got shot down at saying SD cards are more expensive than Vita cuz reasons.

Now you turn to NS card size?

lolwut

Take the L and move on.

Huh?

You got shot down at saying SD cards are more expensive than Vita cuz reasons.

Now you turn to NS card size?

lolwut

Take the L and move on.

What L? If I want to put the same amount of full sized games I would need more than 1 cart to do it on the NS, so it is more expensive to me.

32GB internal for a console is shit and there's nothing anyone can say that will change that.

Eiolon

People want a portable PS4 but at $249. Even if Nintendo priced this at $349 it probably would be like the Wii U situation, where they would need to sell 1 piece of software for the hardware sale to be a profit for them. Nintendo isn't going to have mass production luxury like Apple where they know for a fact they will sell 100 million so part orders would be cheaper.

Instro

Ya this is a bog standard Jetson board. The NVidia report already claims custom, so this is at least outdated if not entirely false.

Could be legit for a dev kit of some kind. They specifically list a Jetson developer kit on the nvidia site for people to get up and running. I could imagine something like that being sent out while the hardware is being prepared. Can't see the final hardware will be the same though given Nvidia's comments.

Zil33184

From what I've read, XBO's (and PS4 for that matter) GPU design is 2-3 years older than the Maxwell/Pascal, so they're less efficient processors. The other thing about AMD processors is that a fair percentage of their FLOPS are dedicated to GPGPU, more so than CUDA on Nvidia.

It's why people tend to say that Nvidia FLOPS > AMD FLOPS when comparing them equally.

It doesn't excuse the differences in memory bandwidth.

To use Timothy Lottes' famous flops/pixel metric:

PS4 is 29,629@1080p30
XBO is 30,328@900p30
TX1 is 18,518@720p30

So that's 61% the flops per pixel performance of the original XBO. That's if the NS GPU stays clocked at 1ghz.

NeOak

What L? If I want to put the same amount of full sized games I would need more than 1 cart to do it on the NS, so it is more expensive to me.

If you buy the games in cards at the store, of course you will need more than one card because every comes in its own card.

You seem to be confused. First, you can get a 256GB SD card to download games. If you can manage to actually fill a 256GB, nice. Get a second one? If you have a Vita, you're already used to this.

Second, the Wii U supported two Hard drives, and you could move things between them. Nintendo will most likely allow you to install games in a hard drive that is connected to the dock and move it to a SD card to take it on the go, no?

32GB internal for a console is shit and there's nothing anyone can say that will change that.
It isn't a hard drive. Flash Memory costs. And we do not even know if it actually has built in memory or it will force you to have a SD card.

So don't get riled up over made up specs that are unconfirmed.

Rappy

Hilariously counter to the point you think you're making, the devices he listed cost $179 and $199 at their respective launch. Likely far less than Switch.
Not sure what your guys' entire argument is about but it is hilarious if you think phones cost that much without subsidizing the costs. Providers really have suckered people in.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hilariously counter to the point you think you're making, the devices he listed cost $179 and $199 at their respective launch. Likely far less than Switch.

First, subsidization.

Perhaps, perhaps not. There have been two separate rumors that Nintendo wanted to hit a surprisingly low pricepoint with this. MCV was the latest to report this, and that was when EG and Emily leaked this exact stuff.

fernoca

Switch card sizes will probably be like Bluray which are 25GB and 50GB dual layer. So 32GB or 64GB cards which retail for under $20 and will cost Nintendo considerably less, so the price per game won't go up.

As far as additional storage, the supposed intention is to have everything on the dock at home if you're all digital. So you'll probably slap some 1TB USB to it and just transfer a game or two to the internal memory or a few more to whatever SD Card you get.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This it fake, really. It can't be a standard Jetson board, not even in the older kits. We already know that one kits had noisy active cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom