• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

what-ok

With games taking years to complete why wouldn't we see some future games (2018 + + +) being announced this coming week? Maybe Nintendo will have more of an E3 presence with the new President like last years Zelda event, but if not then directs following the 12th will be the best bet for first party info.

It's entirely possible that games coming in 2018 could be saved for E3.

I'm with you on your low expectations game with Nintendo, but we are gonna get at least one 2018 tease on Thursday, even if it's just a logo. I'm hoping for a Metroid Prime confirmation.

Neoxon

I'm with you on your low expectations game with Nintendo, but we are gonna get at least one 2018 tease on Thursday, even if it's just a logo. I'm hoping for a Metroid Prime confirmation.
The only one I'm expecting is Beyond Good & Evil 2.

As for Metroid Prime, I'm not sure if they'd do another one without Retro (who Laura heard isn't working on another Metroid game).

DMONKUMA

As for Metroid Prime, I'm not sure if they'd do another one without Retro (who Laura heard isn't working on another Metroid game).

If they only tease one 2018 or beyond game then I think has to be something that bring huge excitement for Switch's future library. So BG&E2 could fit the bill, Bayo 3 and maybe another known series being exclusive on the Switch can do as well. Metroid would be great too but that's dreaming right there.

Low stock of switch at launch wouldn't surprise me in the slightest after NES classic. 2 million units sounds like a lot, but not when its across however many countries its gonna be, EU/US/JP and wherever else.

Neoxon

If they only tease one 2018 or beyond game then I think has to be something that bring huge excitement for Switch's future library. So BG&E2 could fit the bill, Bayo 3 and maybe another known series being exclusive on the Switch can do as well. Metroid would be great too but that's dreaming right there.
I wouldn't say Metroid is necessarily dreaming, but I don't expect Nintendo to drop that kind of bomb during the presentation if it's a long ways out.

marmoka

Banned
No big reveal for 2018 titles and beyond during the January presentation is the expectation, that's all people are saying. You still have events like E3 and Nintendo Directs to give focus on future titles.

That makes sense. I understood at the beginning that people thought Nintendo had no games planed for 2018 or beyond, only for this year, and then, nothing.

You're probably right, which makes it more frustrating that Nintendo released Metroid Prime Federation Force last year. You would think that was a sign of a larger game coming in the Prime universe, but again, Nintendo. As for this Laura girl, the only thing that is true as relates to her is that she needs a long bath and some hair treatment.

C1txkCSXgAA62HT

Launch titles from ign Franch Twitter (now deleted)

random25

Low stock of switch at launch wouldn't surprise me in the slightest after NES classic. 2 million units sounds like a lot, but not when its across however many countries its gonna be, EU/US/JP and wherever else.

That's for this quarter alone, or one month max since it will launch some time in March. That's pretty decent considering the season (slow sales during that time) and the expectations coming from their last console (Wii U). Could pick up momentum and increase in production by next quarter especially when demand and reception after launch is positive.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
C1txkCSXgAA62HT

Launch titles from ign Franch Twitter (now deleted)

Lol at Assassin's Creed Egypt and Pikmin 4 releasing on March 24th... (Though I do wonder when Pikmin 4 is going to release...this fall?) Also, "Switch It!" would be such a terrible subtitle for any game that isn't WarioWare.

Also, has there EVER been a real leak that looked like this? I swear these fake presentation lists "for internal use only" pop up before every big event and they all follow a similar format. But I can't remember a single real one. So why do they all look like this?

ryanofcall

I got a Mail this morning from Nintendo (I'm invited for the press event in Berlin this month) saying:

Hallo Ryan,
für ein Spiel haben wir Slots vergeben, hier habe ich Dich um 18:55 Uhr eingetragen, dauert ca. 25 Minuten. Passt das bei Dir?
Viele Grüße

roughly translates to:
Hello Ryan,
There's only specific time-slots for one game, I gave you the 18:55h slot. It iwll last about 25 Minutes. Is that okay with you?
All the best

She's not saying time slots for Zelda, Mario or any thing. But for ONE GAME.
reading too much into it or is there another bomb in the pipeline?

oti

Banned
I got a Mail this morning from Nintendo (I'm invited for the press event in Berlin this month) saying:

Hallo Ryan,
für ein Spiel haben wir Slots vergeben, hier habe ich Dich um 18:55 Uhr eingetragen, dauert ca. 25 Minuten. Passt das bei Dir?
Viele Grüße

roughly translates to:
Hello Ryan,
There's only specific time-slots for one game, I gave you the 18:55h slot. It iwll last about 25 Minutes. Is that okay with you?
All the best

I don't need cool insider vision to imagine that there will be a mini game collection and some kind of Wii sports game. That could be what your slot is for.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Hallo Ryan,
Viele Grüße

roughly translates to:
Hello Ryan,
All the best

I believe LKD or Emily Rogers said there is an unusual new IP that hasn't been leaked yet and that they wouldn't talk about in advance (I don't remember exactly what was said, so I'm sure I'm butchering it). But a new IP is always of interest, so I wouldn't be surprised if that will be a game in high demand at the Switch event if it's real.

EDIT: Didn't find any tweets about not leaking it in my one search, but I did find the original tweets about it. From Emily Rogers:

New IP coming to NX from one of Nintendo's teams in Japan. Described as weird, fun and crazy. "Nintendo doesn't have another game like this"

It isn't trying to be Nintendo's next Wii Sports. It's trying to be next Splatoon. Remember how weird Splatoon looked when you first saw it?

[source]

Speely

Banned
lol wtf is Super Mario Frost Land? That gameplay we saw in the reveal video was kinda the opposite of frost

Because there were big, translucent ice structures and a frozen fountain. Somehow this bozo decided that "Frost Land" was a good takeaway from that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I hope Nintendo has a better grip on the common sense and past launches history than some here. Switch launch is 1000 times more important than E3. Especially since they put all their eggs in one basket with Switch.

Otherwise I dread the media articles and social media buzz beyond this week.

oti

Banned
I hope Nintendo has a better grip on the common sense and past launches history than some here. Switch launch is 1000 times more important than E3.

Otherwise I dread the media articles and social media buzz beyond this week.

I personally believe Nintendo should ignore E3 as an event for announcements from now on and use that time for community events, such as tournaments.

As far as this Switch event goes it will focus on the launch first and foremost. Future games will be in some sort of sizzle real trailer.

I wonder if there is an Animal Crossing ready to go? You would assume they were busy working on one for Wii U at some point. I'd guess they would of cancelled it and moved to Switch.

So excited! Proper full unveiling of a Nintendo system, these things don't come along very often. The week should fly in too with the kid back at school today etc., everyone in the house is super excited for Friday. Good vibes :)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
As far as this Switch event goes it will focus on the launch first and foremost. Future games will be in some sort of sizzle real trailer.

That should also be fine. But being a live event, I assume they will invite some developers to at least say a couple of words about the future games and show a small teaser.

Especially if we talk about something like a new Xeno or a new Metroid/FX.

Zedark

E3 is really more of a liability imo.

It's a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. A full info blowout in 4 days will mean E3 and other directs will be light, and in that case, people will say Nintendo already has shown all their cards. Reversely, if they keep surprises hidden for E3, people will say they have a weak lineup of games. In this dilemma, I think going for the good first impression with a january blowout would be best.

Hallo Ryan,
Viele Grüße

roughly translates to:
Hello Ryan,
All the best

Kid Icarus Switch here we come

Zedark

Question of the day: is it possible to use the joy cons without the middle part in docked mode?

There is absolutely no reason why they would not.

Edit: in fact, some rumours by Laura said that you can use the joy cons as wii motes for IR functionalities. So they can be used separate on the docked system. No reason to suspect this can't also be done with regular joy con functionalities.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It's a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. A full info blowout in 4 days will mean E3 and other directs will be light, and in that case, people will say Nintendo already has shown all their cards. Reversely, if they keep surprises hidden for E3, people will say they have a weak lineup of games. In this dilemma, I think going for the good first impression with a january blowout would be best.

If choosing between those situations, agreed. I think they probably should talk about basically everything 2017 will have to offer in some capacity (ranging from trailers to teases) and hints of 2018, but likely only have demos for launch and spring/summer stuff. E3 can be the opportunity to let people play around with the full holiday lineup and beyond. I expect we'll get teases and trailers of games that don't get fully unveiled until E3.

jdstorm

Banned

I think the trick is to Tease lots of titles but only go indepth on 3 or 4. That way you show people why they want a Nintendo Switch (NS) at launch and then keep people curious about the next 20 or so titles that will be out over the next 2 years

Nintendo shouldn't care about E3. They need to pull out pretty much all their guns at this presentation. They can save two or three games for surprises at E3, but that's it.

Debirudog

Like, it's pretty apparent that Sony and Microsoft can literally create big conferences for themselves hyping up a console without the need for E3. E3 feels like a mandatory event where a company has to show the goods, and if they don't, they get an unhappy fanbase and just a PR nightmare. I remember very clearly that fans felt abandoned during the 2008 event.

My guess is that they're going to focus on the first six months of Switch on the friday event and then on the E3 for the fall/2018 titles.

At least that's what common sense says to me.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Remember when Sony won E2 2015 on basically smoke and mirrors with Shenmue 3 and FF7Remake that are still nowhere to be seen? I think Nintendo needs to do stuff like that going forward. Announce a bunch of games early or maybe not even in production to create hype and "win" E3s among the "hardcore"/gaming press to turn the narrative around to them actually having lots of games coming. Never understood the rationale behind only showing games for the next few months as that just makes the lower amount of games much more noticeable.

Zedark

My guess is that they're going to focus on the first six months of Switch on the friday event and then on the E3 for the fall/2018 titles.

At least that's what common sense says to me.

That would only make sense to me if they have an absolutely incredibly staken first six months. Otherwise, people might feel uncertain if Nintendo can only show a decent lineup for its first few months.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

There is a middle way though. SSB for example. There's no reason to show too much of it now if it comes for holidays. Just a tease, eventually a new character and save the rest for E3. Pokemon Stars can again just be teased or not shown at all this week.

Then for 2018 they can tease something like 2 games now and still have enough (hopefully!!!) for Q1 and Q2 2018 to show at E3.

I don't see the need for a Nintendo Direct between now and E3, rather some more Treehouse with hands-on for the games closer to launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom