• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Giant

Banned
So how far out are we expecting Nintendo to show their lineup?

I'm guessing 100% of the first 6 months, 50% of the rest of the releases in 2017 after the first 6 months and 10% of titles releasing in 2018 from their first party output anyway.

Well, Nintendo will need to save quite alot of games for E3 and a few games for Directs.

vern

The problem is that the rumors stated that Splatoon would be in the Deluxe Bundle. If said bundle was dropped between when Laura got that intel & now (maybe in that December meeting where Nintendo decided to move forward with BotW on Day 1 for NA & Japan), there may not be a pack-in game at all. Same issue for there being more internal storage.

I had found it strange, I guess for lack of a better word, all the rumors mentioning bundles and a deluxe edition.

My friend/source months ago told me Nintendo was targeting one SKU with 32gb storage and a target price of $250 US dollars. My friend was told that that was tentative but those were the targets... I asked a few times in recent convos with my friend and I was told that they hadn't been told anything different in the intervening months, but also hadn't heard anything reaffirming that original info. I assumed LKD had better info than me as she has sources at Nintendo apparently and I definitely do not... anyway now that rumors are pointing to one SKU and 250$ seems I should have put that out there awhile back lol. Anyway I won't be surprised if there is no deluxe bundle. I don't have a clue about a pack in game however.

Crazyorloco

This is a huge week for gaming...

I hope we get some surprises like: like kingdom hearts on the switch. Lord knows it would sell so much on a Nintendo console.

Man, I'm super curious as to what 3rd parties have in store for the Switch especially from Bandai Namco, Square Enix, & Capcom.

Fighting games are going to be great on this system.

This is the first Nintendo system I'm pre-ordering. For all the other Nintendo systems I just waited a month till more games were released. Can't wait to play Zelda with my daughter.

I had found it strange, I guess for lack of a better word, all the rumors mentioning bundles and a deluxe edition.

My friend/source months ago told me Nintendo was targeting one SKU with 32gb storage and a target price of $250 US dollars. My friend was told that that was tentative but those were the targets... I asked a few times in recent convos with my friend and I was told that they hadn't been told anything different in the intervening months, but also hadn't heard anything reaffirming that original info. I assumed LKD had better info than me as she has sources at Nintendo apparently and I definitely do not... anyway now that rumors are pointing to one SKU and 250$ seems I should have put that out there awhile back lol. Anyway I won't be surprised if there is no deluxe bundle. I don't have a clue about a pack in game however.

But the rumors state... wait this is a rumor? Dammit none of this computes!

random25

There were a lot of cut corners with XCX when it came to enemies and NPCs. The pop-up on NPCs and some enemies was horrible, with them clipping and not reacting to the environment at all.

In BOTW, the enemies will hunt and cook food and react organically to how you fight them. They will use different weapons. They will run away if out-number. Actual fighting in BOTW is more complex too, with climbing and motion-aiming with specific hit points. Hit detection, clipping, physics, and AI are absolutely on a whole different level in BOTW.

I'm not knocking XCX, I loved it, but I can't pretend it holds a candle to some of the things BOTW does. The rock monster fight in BOTW is leagues beyond anything I've saw in XCX from a technical perspective, art-style notwithstanding.

Again, one is a JRPG and the other is an action adventure. In JRPGs, enemy AI focuses mainly on battles, how unpredictable it acts and which party member to target. In action adventure games, enemy AI reacts heavily to its environment, among other things, like the protagonist's position and distance, obstacles, etc. And that's really impressive of BOTW. But AI comparisons aren't really direct as they are of different genres.

This is a huge week for gaming...

I hope we get some surprises like: like kingdom hearts on the switch. Lord knows it would sell so much on a Nintendo console.

This is the first Nintendo system I'm pre-ordering. For all the other Nintendo systems I just waited a month till more games were released. Can't wait to play Zelda with my daughter.

I won't hold my breath for a Kingdom Hearts game on Switch. But I'd be ecstatic if KH3 on Switch happens.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So how far out are we expecting Nintendo to show their lineup?

I'm guessing 100% of the first 6 months, 50% of the rest of the releases in 2017 after the first 6 months and 10% of titles releasing in 2018 from their first party output anyway.
0% for 2018; leave that for E3.

Well, Nintendo will need to save quite alot of games for E3 and a few games for Directs.
Which is why I'm thinking they'll only show off about half of the games releasing from September till the end of the year and possibly a few big titles that don't end up on Switch till 2018. There may be a few smaller titles that will release over the summer that they won't anounce in this direct but I expect this to give us a good picture of the system's first year.

While that would be ideal, every console reveal I can think of showed off games that released at least 9 months after launch.

jdstorm

Banned
I still think 300USD for a 4SM GPU Switch would be the ideal price point. Especially with a WiiU port built to sell DLC/Amibo as pack in for launch models. It seems like the way to go.

Guess we will get to see in a few days

Shiggy

Basic SKU: EUR229 / GBP199 (retail price incl. taxes; not RRP as NoE does not officially announce one)
- Switch System (32GB)
- Two Joy-Cons
- Dock
- HDMI cable
- USB cable
- Instruction Booklet
- My Nintendo Code Card

Premium SKU: EUR279 / GBP249 (retail price incl. taxes; not RRP as NoE does not officially announce one)
- Switch System (64GB)
- Two Joy-Cons
- Dock
- HDMI cable
- USB cable
- Instruction Booklet
- My Nintendo Code Card
- Splatoon (EUR39.99 stand-alone)

A USB to power plug adapter is available separately.

Launch: March 17, 2017

Source: My ass

For some reason I expect every game I want to be released on the switch. Darkstalkers, spelunky, XCOM 2. Valkiria Chronicles.
My only low expectations are with EA. But I expect the best from the rest.
I wonder why my hopes are so high with the switch. With the Wii U I didn't expect a shit (and that is what I got)

Neoxon

Basic SKU: EUR229 / GBP199 (retail price incl. taxes; not RRP as NoE does not officially announce one)
- Switch System (32GB)
- Two Joy-Cons
- Dock
- HDMI cable
- USB cable
- Instruction Booklet
- My Nintendo Code Card

Premium SKU: EUR279 / GBP249 (retail price incl. taxes; not RRP as NoE does not officially announce one)
- Switch System (64GB)
- Two Joy-Cons
- Dock
- HDMI cable
- USB cable
- Instruction Booklet
- My Nintendo Code Card

No Joy-Con Grip?

I kind of only want to see "launch window" software. I want them to spend a lot of quality time with the console and show us a hopefully slick interface and unique features.

Show us the console and the first three-six months of software. Fall 2017 and beyond can wait until E3.

what-ok

- Switch System (32GB)
- Two Joy-Cons
- Dock
- HDMI cable
- USB cable
- Instruction Booklet
- My Nintendo Code Card

- Switch System (64GB)
- Two Joy-Cons
- Dock
- HDMI cable
- USB cable
- Instruction Booklet
- My Nintendo Code Card

Smells like a rumor.

Neonep

I still think 300USD for 4SM GPU switch would be the ideal price point. Especially with a WiiU port built to sell DLC/Amibo as pack in for launch models. Is the way to go.

Guess we will get to see in a few days

Honestly, that's how much I think it will cost and considering what I've been reading for the past few months, GAF is going to explode and disappointment will be plentiful. Can't wait.

Neoxon

For some reason I expect every game I want to be released on the switch. Darkstalkers, spelunky, XCOM 2. Valkiria Chronicles.
My only low expectations are with EA. But I expect the best from the rest.
I wonder why my hopes are so high with the switch. With the Wii U I didn't exte t a shit (and that is what I got)
Yeah, Capcom's probably not gonna make any fighting games beyond SFV & MvCI anytime soon. Hell, Capcom already has their hands full with those fighting games.

hatchx

Banned
If there even is a Switch Sports. The fact that Splatoon was the rumored pack-in game kinda indicates that there won't be a Wii Sports equivalent for the Switch.

I am operating under the assumption the rumours are not entirely true. I find it very hard to believe Nintendo would launch without some kind of local multiplayer game. Zelda nor Splatoon will make use of local multiplayer and out-of-the-box split Joy-Con multiplayer. I'd be willing to predict Nintendo launches with something to showcase that, even if it goes against rumours.

The problem with the IR pointer is that it's on the bottom of the Switch, so using it like the Wii Remote isn't really practical beyond replicating touch controls while the Switch is docked.

I've seen the rumours and I gather that, but it still boggles my mind why it would be on the bottom and not the top. I still think there is something we don't know regarding the gyroscope and IR functions of the Joy Con, and what Nintendo's solution is to IR gaming. I hope they don't ditch it altogether.

Again, one is a JRPG and the other is an action adventure. In JRPGs, enemy AI focuses mainly on battles, how unpredictable it acts and which party member to target. In action adventure games, enemy AI reacts heavily to its environment, among other things, like the protagonist's position and distance, obstacles, etc. And that's really impressive of BOTW. But AI comparisons aren't really direct as they are of different genres.

Of course, I suppose you are right. I was just comparing the two from a technical perspective and trying to note BOTW's strengths over XCX (I believe the comparison started with regards to textures resolution). I suppose with regards to AI, you are right, but wouldn't the fact that the AI reacts in realtime to the environment and Link's actions in BOTW require more processing under the hood?
I don't really know anything about game engineering so I'm speaking purely from what I've gathered in my years gaming and reading neogaf.

Those who keep saying "No 2018 games" remember when Nintendo did the Wii U showcase and they showed Bayo 2?

Yeah, I expect atleast one game releasing in 2018 to be shown and that game will more than likely be Monolith Softs new game.

DMONKUMA

Yeah, I can agree with this. This is a conference about the launch of a new system and given the timing of it, they should show nothing that isn't coming out in 2017, that's meant for E3.

There is going to be at least one game teased or shown that won't be out this year I bet. It was the same for the Wii U conference.

Actually, according to LPVG's updated reports it seems as though the Splatoon pack-in rumor came from a source at GAME. So there might just be a possibility that's just a store bundle (the standard Switch SKU + a game added in) instead of an entirely unique bundle by Nintendo themselves.

Wow! Wth all this time I thought it was some source I America!

We NEED to discuss this. This is just some source bundle from GAME? That means Splatoon may not be bundled after all.

From what Vern is also saying there may only be one SKU that's $250 and that's it. If there's a pack in game maybe it's something minor?

Neonep

There is going man be at least one game teased or shown that won't be out this year. It was the same for the Wii U conference.
Then what are you going to show at E3? Usually these type of conferences are at E3 so you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Neoxon

We NEED to discuss this. This is just some source bundle from GAME? That means Splatoon may not be bundled after all.

From what Vern is also saying there may only be one SKU that's $250 and that's it. If there's a pack in game maybe it's something minor?
That's a solid conclusion to come to, but I think she mentioned on the AMA that the Deluxe Bundle would have more internal storage.

DMONKUMA

Then what are you going to show at E3? Usually these type of conferences are at E3 so you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Well I said they could just have one. So they could have all their other far out projects plus some more in-depth look of games releasing in 2017. I don't expect them to be like Sony and show all the games that aren't coming this year or next.

Edit: if there gonna show something beyond 2017 it's probably something more heavy-hitting to ensure that people have something to look forward to besides games in this year.

random25

Those who keep saying "No 2018 games" remember when Nintendo did the Wii U showcase and they showed Bayo 2?

Yeah, I expect atleast one game releasing in 2018 to be shown and that game will more than likely be Monolith Softs new game.

E3 2017 isn't that far away. We may hear about something for 2018, but we'll probably see the showcase on E3, or in a later ND.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So, what kind of games should we expect to see for this event? I think we'll probably see the launch titles and maybe a few more spread out in 2017. And 1 or 2 distant titles as well

Terrell

pre-ordering for launch is going to be hell

it's going to be a nes classic/amiibo situation for switch launch

2 million units worldwide is nothing

2 million units would definitely fall short for a launch in November. But it's not a November launch.

Nintendo expects to sell through 2 million units in its first 2 weeks on shelf in a slow sales period for the industry.

That also equates to selling 15% of the total sales for Wii U in 2 weeks.

And this is without factoring in how many are shipping immediately after the first 2 weeks.

So no, this is not an amiibo/NES Classic situation. Expect sales to be reminiscent of the PS2's launch in Japan, which was 1.4 million for the first 4 weeks, but dialed further back given a more hesitant buyer.

Also, to put it in perspective, PS4 sold 4.2 million units over the busiest shopping period in North America and Europe. So 2 million units to cover 2 weeks' demand sounds doable.

Not saying you shouldn't pre-order, but unless demand is higher than characteristic for the shopping season we're in by a WIDE margin, I doubt said pre-order won't be filled.

Neoxon

So, what kind of games should we expect to see for this event? I think we'll probably see the launch titles and maybe a few more spread out in 2017. And 1 or 2 distant titles as well
I feel like we'll mostly see titles coming within the first 6 months, with the occasional title that's coming later this year or even next year. Pokémon Stars is more of a 50/50 thing that I could see going either way...
  • On one hand, revealing Stars on Thursday (on top of the hype it would garner) would be a great way to get the point of the console & handheld divisions being united across. Plus they could make the Pokémon Bank available after the presentation as a means of having people prepare for Stars.
  • At the same time, revealing Stars later in the Spring (likely during a separate Direct) would allow The Pokémon Company to have the spotlight all to themselves. In addition, it would allow Sun/Moon to not have its legs cut short sales-wise in order to prop up the Switch.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I feel like we'll mostly see titles coming within the first 6 months, with the occasional title that's coming later this year or even next year. Pokémon Stars is more of a 50/50 thing that I could see going either way...
  • On one hand, revealing Stars on Thursday (on top of the hype it would garner) would be a great way to get the point of the console & handheld divisions being united across. Plus they could make the Pokémon Bank available after the presentation as a means of having people prepare for Stars.
  • At the same time, revealing Stars later in the Spring (likely during a separate Direct) would allow The Pokémon Company to have the spotlight all to themselves. In addition, it would allow Sun/Moon to not have its legs cut short sales-wise in order to prop up the Switch.
I swear (not really) every other post you make is about Stars. :p

Neonep

Yeah, Pokemon on the Switch would have it's own direct, that is going to be a big deal.

OrochiJR

Only 4 more days to go, time to get hyped! I'm personally hoping for an announcement of a new Zero/ Fatal Frame/ Project Zero entry.

Does anyone think the Zelda demo for Wii U rumors are true? It was really only in this LKD post (http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/r...o-in-development-nintendo-switch-2017-line-up) but It would be a good way to get people hyped...Have the demo (with anything data min-able stripped away), then when you finish, a really well done trailer that focuses on how the Switch improves the game. I guess this might cannibalize some Wii U sales of it but who really cares about those?

random25

Only 4 more days to go, time to get hyped! I'm personally hoping for an announcement of a new Zero/ Fatal Frame/ Project Zero entry.

If only Fatal Frame franchise really does well in the market. But then again, maybe an exposure on launch period might help it. That's a very low chance of happening, though.

Instro

Personally I think it would be a little foolish not to announce as much as they can from the get go. Even if it's just small teasers for stuff coming out well into 2018. They have one shot to get this right. One software pipeline should mean they have plenty of things to announce both now and during E3, otherwise they will have messed up. Knowing Nintendo though they will end up trickling things out due to an anemic lineup.

vern

Again, this is what was told around the time when Nintendo pitched the console to them initially, and it was made clear this was simply the price goal ($250) and tentative plans (with regards to number of skus and storage, etc).. I've not been able to follow the threads much the past few days but seems the rumors the past few days are pointing to that.

It lines up with everything else I've heard about how they are keeping it all as simple and streamlined as possible, from the marketing to the concept to the OS and everything else. Here's the Switch, it plays games and doesn't do much else, it costs this much, take it or leave it.

Nintendo wants no mixed messaging or confusion with regards to anything associated with the console from what I've heard and been saying from when I first came around these parts mentioning that I was told a few things.

Again this was info from a long time ago and I'm not guaranteeing anything. I gotta always add caveats now because people like to harangue Liam or NateD or me or whoever else anytime we say anyhing. I'm happy to wait a few more days without saying anything else, but thought I'd pipe up due to the fact it seems one SKU is the new info that seems to be going around.

Neoxon

I want to see Stars.

I don't think we will.
You wanna see Stars?

Z0ljsD8.gif

I do, too.

random25

Is people really saying there will be no Switch games for 2018? Are you new to the industry or what?

No big reveal for 2018 titles and beyond during the January presentation is the expectation, that's all people are saying. You still have events like E3 and Nintendo Directs to give focus on future titles.

Kanhir

Given Nintendo's track record, I anticipate optimistically announced games that eventually get pushed back to 2018. So I'd revise that to "0% intended for 2018".

Also, can we talk about how hilarious it would be for Nintendo to release on 17 March?
Ireland would be a nightmare; it's a public holiday, so the shops have limited hours anyway and you'd have to fight your way past parades to get to them.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
A couple 2018 games seems possible to me as teasers. If BG&E2 is there in any form, that will probably count. I wouldn't be surprised if Retro's game is early 2018 and mentioned.

Beyond that, though, I really expect the focus to be on the launch window and summer games, and then at E3 we get the holiday lineup and more about 2018. I'm undecided if they'll show Stars now or wait until we're further past S/M's launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom