• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch doesn't support Optical Audio out....

MCN

Banned
"lmao why do you need ethernet cord, wireless is fine"

"lmao why do you need optical audio out? I don't use it"

I'm seeing a trend here.

Optical is a legacy connection for people who haven't bothered updating their equipment in years. Might as well support composite video, too.

Herne

Optical? Given the size of the dock and the machine itself and the fact that optical ports are pretty obsolete these days, I can't say I'm in any way shocked. Should we complain about it not having an RF port, too?

Has any Nintendo machine ever carried an optical port? I don't remember seeing any such thing.

Optical is a legacy connection for people who haven't bothered updating their equipment in years. Might as well support composite video, too.

I've seen the same argument used for ethernet ports in another thread. Doesn't matter that literally the entire competition includes it though.

I've seen the same argument used for ethernet ports in another thread. Doesn't matter that literally the entire competition includes it though.

Except the PS4 slim.

Besides, what was the last Nintendo console that included optical? Why are people even surprised by this?

Paragon

A lot of high-end audio equipment sold today still uses an optical connection.
It has the advantage of complete electrical isolation so things like ground loops cannot occur.

However you'll only find it used with 2 channel equipment, since the TOSLINK spec can only do lossy 5.1 audio.
Technically, it should be possible to do 5.1 or even 7.1 lossless over optical now, as newer optical devices can support up to 2 channels of 24/192 audio, which could be divided into 8 channels of 48kHz or 6 channels of up to 64kHz audio.

It doesn't surprise me that Nintendo have dropped the optical connection though, and for anyone who is using an older 5.1 receiver that does not support HDMI, it would be better to purchase an HDMI to analog audio converter box - not just for the Switch.
Most old receivers also have 5.1 analog inputs and that is and uncompressed connection, while optical is not.

Pokemaniac

Wait why won't this work? This is very similar to what I ordered.

Switch only outputs raw LPCM. Unless you're using a cable with enough capacity or a box that can compress the signal into a proprietary format, you're not getting more than 2 channels of audio.

I asked in another thread but got no answer, does anyone know if the Joy-Con has a headphone jack? Because when its docked how will we get audio if we want to use headphones? I mean, even the WiiU had a headphone jack on the gamepad.
It doesn't.

You can run a 3.5mm cable from your headphones to your tv, to your receiver, or to an aftermarket breakout box like the hdmi/optical boxes posted in this thread.

Pokemaniac

Any source on this?

They don't specifically call out any special surround sound format on their specs page, and Nintendo usually doesn't pay licenses for these kinds of things if they can avoid it, so it's not officially confirmed, yet. Given the information we have, it's the most reasonable conclusion, however, and expecting otherwise is likely setting yourself up for disappointment.

pantra

Just returned a Yamaha V381 receiver because it introduced about ~70ms of unbearable audio-lag when decoding any digital audio signal, be it optical or HDMI. Hopefully the analog headphone plug on a docked Switch will still be usable.

Top Bottom