• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest-selling Nintendo console in European history

Usobuko

Banned
I just went to see whether there's data on the PS4 in the same style (i.e., Europe-wide for the first weekend), seems there isn't. Then we would have a better estimate, because if Switch sold better than the PS4 in Europe, they would probably mention that.

The UK itself kinda makes this impossible for Switch to surmount.

My fear is that there won't be anything of significance in the first year aside from these 3 games, as I have no interest in Splatoon.
I'm sure you have "fear". Fire Emblem Warriors, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, MK8DX, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are games we know coming so far and we haven't hit E3.

phanphare

Banned
My fear is that there won't be anything of significance in the first year aside from these 3 games, as I have no interest in Splatoon.

well that's just you personally, which is fine of course, but Splatoon is a heavy hitter so in regards to the Switch's momentum it is a significant release regardless of your individual tastes

Celine

So seems that in US, Europe and Japan Switch has sold at least 330K in its first week.

EDIT:
For each region of course.

rdytoroll

I believe it. Retail is an absolute wasteland in Germany, only Switch thing left to buy in store is 1-2 Switch lol. I'm really glad it's selling well. A mainline Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem game on the big screen would be amazing.

But I wonder, why is Nintendo so big in Germany and France unlike the UK for example?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm sure you have "fear". Fire Emblem Warriors, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, MK8DX, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are games we know coming so far and we haven't hit E3.

That seemed unnecessary, especially as I accounted for three of the games you listed and I was specifically talking about myself.

Apple does this kind of thing all the time:

• Sell a small batch of units
  • Have batch sell out
  • Claim it's the best selling batch ever
  • Rinse
  • Repeat

Shiggy

I'm surprised it even outsold their handhelds, that's quite remarkable. With Wii, it's not so surprising because supply was the issue for that.

Considering the first shipment was around 2m, I think, 1m sold total is not that good.

2mio this month, there are more shipments this week and apparently also next week.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
BoTW has an almost 100% attach rate and Switch outsold Wii in Europe.

Yeah, it's not very surprising that BotW has that attach rate I suppose. Why else would you buy a Switch at this point (for real). I guess what's more surprising is the bolded. Dat Zelda.

E-phonk

Banned
Considering the first shipment was around 2m, I think, 1m sold total is not that good.

2 million was for it's first month, there's 3 weeks left.
A launch week of ~1 to 1.2 million seems quite good imo.

It seems to be sold out in JPN and US + parts of EU. It'll probably get there or quite close to it, which would mean it's +/- sold out during it's first month. How is that "not good"

Maybe a lot of people on GAF were right and what doomed the U wasn't the hardware or software, but the marketing/name.

The U didn't have the hype of a new Nintendo console. This time around, that feeling is palpable.

The title makes it sound like we've seen a significant period of sales.
It's the fastest opening weekend. XD

Good for Nintendo though. They need this.

Recreat3

Awesome news. I hope the sales continue and switch is a big success. I dont want to invest in a console at launch for it to fail. Mario kart next..but please nintendo bring us a new refreshing metroid game.

Apple does this kind of thing all the time:

• Sell a small batch of units
  • Have batch sell out
  • Claim it's the best selling batch ever
  • Rinse
  • Repeat

But each of those iPhone models that outsell their predecessor, in the long-term, significantly outsell their predecessor. So???

hughesta

Banned
Splatoon in the Summer and Mario during the Holiday season will both be huge, too. This is a really good start, and I'm glad to see it doing well.

Congrats!

I like the part about Zelda being the best selling launch title ever for them, beating out Wii Sports...even though Wii Sports was bundled with the system.

Xenoblade 2 is not coming out this year lol

Eh, I wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed, but at the same time I don't think it's a foregone conclusion. The original Xenoblade wasn't ever delayed. XBX was, but iirc it was never given an official 2014 date in the same way that XBC2 has been given a 2017 date, just that they had said that's what they were targeting.

hohoXD123

Isn't the launch period numbers mostly meaningless anyway? Afaik the Wii U and Wii sold similar numbers in the first 1 or 2 months, though obviously they ended up selling very differently.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I own a Switch, I'm glad I bought one and I can't believe that thing is successful. It'll be interesting to see how things look 6 months from now.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
This is great news, but I wish Nintendo planned the march-june period a bit better. ARMS better sell well.

ARMS is going to be the next Splatoon, only now it'll launch on a system with a ton of good will and support left in it.

Zelda/Mario/Mario Kart plus a Switch is a great Christmas proposition.

If Nintendo can just ride the hype they got with the Classic, then Zelda through the summer until Mario hits without too many "gathering dust" comments, then they may have a hit on their hands.

I wonder how third parties will react to a success. I hope we don't just see a bunch of downgraded ports. The theme running through Nintendo's recent successes is a return to the attitudes of the 8 and 16 bit eras. That may mean virtual console (done right), it may mean collections of old games, like with Mega Man, it may mean reimagined versions of old games, like Sonic Mania and Blaster Master, it may mean new retro-style games, like Shovel Knight and it may mean modern-style games with old school inspirations, like Breath of the Wild.

Ideas I would like to see include (although these are obviously mainly first party):

Mario Maker port or Mario Maker 2
Zelda Maker
NES Remix port, NES remix 2 or SNES remix
Castlevania Collection
New Metroid
More old-style RPGS - Maybe a Chrono trigger or Secret of Mana game or even a FF VI style FF game.

I concede that stuff like COD and FIFA is probably necessary but I don't think those games add much. Anyone buying a Switch to play stuff like that, or Skyrim is probably going to be disappointed unless they are focused on portable mode.

Isn't the launch period numbers mostly meaningless anyway? Afaik the Wii U and Wii sold similar numbers in the first 1 or 2 months, though obviously they ended up selling very differently.

"Mostly meaningless" is too strong. It's obviously a good, very good, sign. It's just too soon to make predictions about longterm sales.

E-phonk

Banned
Eh, I wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed, but at the same time I don't think it's a foregone conclusion. The original Xenoblade wasn't ever delayed. XBX was, but iirc it was never given an official 2014 date in the same way that XBC2 has been given a 2017 date, just that they had said that's what they were targeting.

Also: they don't have to write/port the engine and toolset anymore, assuming it's same/similar to zelda's engine and toolset.
2.5 years of development is steep but possible.

Wii U apparently sold half of Switch in France and the UK (blue=first week, red = first month)

Seik

Banned
Guys, I want Xenoblade 2 to happen in 2017 too, but I doubt it'll happen SO MUCH. :lol

I'd love to eat crow though, absolutely!

pswii60

Interesting that Switch did 80,000 in the UK over the weekend, compared to 105,000 in France. But in the UK it sold out everywhere. So, Nintendo shipped more to France - perhaps a stronger market for them historically?

Maybe a lot of people on GAF were right and what doomed the U wasn't the hardware or software, but the marketing/name.

The U didn't have the hype of a new Nintendo console. This time around, that feeling is palpable.

A "U" instead of a "2" was probably the most expensive mistake Nintendo has ever made.

The Wii U was never going to come close to the Wii. And it still could easily have been a disappointment overall. (We'd still be getting the Switch as their next console, regardless.) But not clearly marketing it as the successor to the Wii probably cost them millions and millions of unit sales.

Interesting that Switch did 80,000 in the UK over the weekend, compared to 105,000 in France. But in the UK it sold out everywhere. So, Nintendo shipped more to France - perhaps a stronger market for them historically?

I think so. France has always had a stronger affinity for Japanese culture than the UK.

I wonder how third parties will react to a success. I hope we don't just see a bunch of downgraded ports. The theme running through Nintendo's recent successes is a return to the attitudes of the 8 and 16 bit eras. That may mean virtual console (done right), it may mean collections of old games, like with Mega Man, it may mean reimagined versions of old games, like Sonic Mania and Blaster Master, it may mean new retro-style games, like Shovel Knight and it may mean modern-style games with old school inspirations, like Breath of the Wild.

I still wouldn't really expect much from AAA games outside of the odd port like Skyrim. I think the best to expect as far as third party support for this thing is concerned is most likely indie games + popular Japanese franchises like SMT, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter.

Great numbers. Definitely more than I expected for Europe.

As I recall, the original was delayed, but only by about a month. I could definitely see 2 hitting this year, at least in Japan.

noshten

Too many skeptics, I'm personally pretty positive on my prediction:

I think the launch lineup is better than 3DS launch year, I also think it's more attractive as a device than 3DS at launch. So better games + better devices bigger incentive to buy early compared to 3DS which had a vary barren first six months - so something like 10 million for the Switch with 5 mil of those coming from Japan for 2017 is the minimum. Personally I think it will be closing into or surpassing the Wii U in a single year. There is simply more mind-share for Nintendo around SMR, PokemonGO in the last year and we saw how that effected 3DS sales. 3DS will continue to sell as a device that has tons of games and is 1/3 the price. I also don't think Nintendo will keep the Switch at this price.
But its far easier to predict how much you need to ship for November and December by launching it like they launched the 3DS. 3DS didn't pickup until the price cut and big games but this time Switch has the big games lined up and you can play with a friend on the go. Once they gauge interest I'm expecting there to be either bundles or price drops for the holidays if not earlier just to capitalize on the popularity for the holidays..
If Nintendo don't lower the price for the device I'd say it would do well but not surpass 10 million for 2017.

Yeah, this is obviously just an anecdote, but when the WiiU launched my Gamestop didn't even do a midnight opening. I had to line up at the store's opening on Sunday morning with maybe 8 other dudes to buy mine. I got there 30 minutes before opening and was the first one in line.

Here though, I attended a midnight release at the same Gamestop, and there were well over 100 people waiting in line for a console. It was like a night and day difference.

kitsuneyo

Hope plenty more devs get on board now. Indies must be loving the Switch limelight.

Yeah, this is obviously just an anecdote, but when the WiiU launched my Gamestop didn't even do a midnight opening. I had to line up at the store's opening on Sunday morning with maybe 8 other dudes to buy mine. I got there 30 minutes before opening and was the first one in line.

Here though, I attended a midnight release at the same Gamestop, and there were well over 100 people waiting in line for a console. It was like a night and day difference.

Literally!

Interfectum

I think we are seeing proof that the market likes the idea of the Switch. It's a compelling device. Long term will be completely dependent on if good software can keep coming to the system. Mario, Minecraft, Skyrim, Splatoon, etc will help push units for sure.

Top Bottom