• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghornett

Neo Member
Update on my switch: I ended up sending it into Nintendo for replacement. It was a pretty easy process, thankfully, and I ended up getting it back fairly quickly. On the packing note the serial # in and out are different, so it would appear that I received a new switch entirely, which seemed fine to me. I then saw the post-repair instructions that came back with it, which stated that they could not recover any of my data; disappointing, but not a huge deal since I was only 6 hours or so into Zelda, most of which was spent on the Great Plateau. I did a quick inspection of the replacement switch's screen and did not see any particles under it, or scratches on it, so I was pretty stoked. However, once I turned it on, I noticed a nice fat dead pixel off to the right of the screen... this was very upsetting. Upon further inspection, I also noticed another smaller one towards the bottom-middle of the screen, but that one is pretty small and not that noticeable, so it wouldn't have bothered me too much on its own. Sadly, the fat dead pixel is very noticeable, and very annoying.

Now my options seem limited, and I'm not sure how to proceed. I can't exactly return it to the place of purchase, BestBuy, since the serial no longer matches the box that it came in, and I likely cannot send it back in for another replacement either (Nintendo put out statements saying that they do not consider dead pixels to be defects). I suppose I could keep the switch, but I do find the dead pixel to be very distracting, and I have OCD, so it would be a nuisance for years to come. Perhaps, I could just sell the damn thing, while mentioning the dead pixel, but I don't think that I'd be able to recoup the entirety of the money I spent on the console (~$320, due to tax). Like I said, I'm not sure how to proceed from here...

Tv mode forever more

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Light was just waaaay too light. I switched my switch to dark and never looked back*

(because my retinas were ruined from using the light theme at night)

I prefer the light theme but the settings on my TV make it practically BLINDING so I had to switch to the dark theme.

The_Lump

Banned
Now my options seem limited, and I'm not sure how to proceed. I can't exactly return it to the place of purchase, BestBuy, since the serial no longer matches the box that it came in, and I likely cannot send it back in for another replacement either (Nintendo put out statements saying that they do not consider dead pixels to be defects). I suppose I could keep the switch, but I do find the dead pixel to be very distracting, and I have OCD, so it would be a nuisance for years to come. Perhaps, I could just sell the damn thing, while mentioning the dead pixel, but I don't think that I'd be able to recoup the entirety of the money I spent on the console (~$320, due to tax). Like I said, I'm not sure how to proceed from here...

Well most companies say that in a roundabout way, but you can usually get them to replace it. Certainly works with Apple and Samsung products and they adopt a similar policy. Don't think we've had any definitive confirmation that Nintendo won't repair obstructive dead pixels?

Gluka

I sent my leafblower Switch in for repair and they replaced the entire unit. The new one had "inspected for utmost quality" or some bullshit on the plastic slip.

The new one is markedly darker and has an ugly pink tint over everything. Almost night mode level of ugly. Same as this one here:

http://imgur.com/Zy8TFLQ

Now I get to choose between keeping my Zelda save or returning it to Gamespot and rolling the dice again. Really unhappy about this. With my luck the next one will start chirping halfway into first gaming session if I wind up replacing it.

jts

...hate me...
That Pro Controller lads.

I just got mine today and it cannot be overstated how much of an improvement it represents over the Joy-Cons. Which are a fine compromise for what they aim at.

But for the full, meaty TV experience you need the Pro Controller.

I almost wish there was a split version of it.

Maybe the best controller I've ever tried.

PSFan

I sent my leafblower Switch in for repair and they replaced the entire unit. The new one had "inspected for utmost quality" or some bullshit on the plastic slip.

The new one is markedly darker and has an ugly pink tint over everything. Almost night mode level of ugly. Same as this one here:

Now I get to choose between keeping my Zelda save or returning it to Gamespot and rolling the dice again. Really unhappy about this. With my luck the next one will start chirping halfway into first gaming session if I wind up replacing it.

If Nintendo replaced the entire unit, I don't think you'll be able to return it to Gamestop now, if that is where you originally bought it. The serial numbers will not match now.

Murdoch

Update on my switch: I ended up sending it into Nintendo for replacement. It was a pretty easy process, thankfully, and I ended up getting it back fairly quickly. On the packing note the serial # in and out are different, so it would appear that I received a new switch entirely, which seemed fine to me. I then saw the post-repair instructions that came back with it, which stated that they could not recover any of my data; disappointing, but not a huge deal since I was only 6 hours or so into Zelda, most of which was spent on the Great Plateau. I did a quick inspection of the replacement switch's screen and did not see any particles under it, or scratches on it, so I was pretty stoked. However, once I turned it on, I noticed a nice fat dead pixel off to the right of the screen... this was very upsetting. Upon further inspection, I also noticed another smaller one towards the bottom-middle of the screen, but that one is pretty small and not that noticeable, so it wouldn't have bothered me too much on its own. Sadly, the fat dead pixel is very noticeable, and very annoying.

The switch definitely seems to have a dead pixel problem anecdotally or not; I can't remember the last bit of tech that was launched with an in-built screen with so many problems. It's completely and utterly put me off a purchase. I simply can't unsee dead pixels and it would totally ruin my enjoyment of the device.

Slacker

ah ok didn't really think about that. do you guys prefer digital downloads or physical copies?

Digital 100%. I bought Zelda physically only so my son could open it on his birthday. Otherwise I haven't bought a physical game in a long long time. Especially stuff that's handy to have on the console itself to fire up for multiplayer like bomberman.

I think I have this weird audio issue with my Switch and I don't know if it's widespread or not. It's honestly not a big deal but anyways...

When loading in Zelda there is pretty consistently two taps. And then I just browsed the eShop for the first time and it seems that exact sound follows every click noise when I move from one tile to another.

Has anyone else noticed this? Like I said, not a big deal - it's just a minor annoyance.

Edit: Docked, btw

Well, the best and worst thing about being in a remote location is being able to walk into a random store and find a special edition Zelda bundle just sitting there( the last one on the shelf and likely to be the last one the store gets period). It was $139.95 which is about what I'd pay if I purchased it at the NA MSRP, plus tax and import duties( and about what the going rate seems to be for re-sellers generally). So, I'm in the Switch camp....kind of lol.

Of course, there hasn't been a Switch imported into my country yet and likely won't be for several months.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Word of warning: If you put in your credit card number on the eshop but then back out of a purchase, they still put a temporary charge on your card. Happened to me today with Shovel Knight Treasure Trove. Hopefully the charge releases tomorrow.

ScOULaris

Alright, I got lucky and was able to order a Switch from Kohl's website a few minutes ago. I had been wavering between wanting to wait to see if the design issues (bent docs, left joy-con desyncing... etc.) would be fixed in a future revision and just taking the plunge now, and ultimately I decided to take the risk.

So now I'm looking for some reassurance. How many of you in here have had no issues with the dock scratching the screen, poor Wi-Fi, and/or left joy-con desyncing?

All I ever heard about are the problems people are having with their Switch and it makes me nervous.

hao chi

Can anyone tell me how much Snipperclips benefits from having more than two players? I plan on getting a game so that I have something to mess around with on my Switch whenever I finish Zelda, and Snipperclips is the game I want the most out of the three I'm considering (FAST RMX and Shovel Knight are the other two). I was planning on waiting until I get a Pro controller so that I can play it with two of my friends, but after playing the demo last night I can't really see how the game would benefit from a third player. I don't want another Affordable Space Adventure situation where player 3 is bored because their presence is unnecessary and doesn't add anything to the experience.

Between FAST and Shovel Knight, I'm leaning towards FAST for now because I have a few other games I want to finish, plus Persona 5 is releasing soon. Definitely want to get Shovel Knight at some point though.

Alright, I got lucky and was able to order a Switch from Kohl's website a few minutes ago. I had been wavering between wanting to wait to see if the design issues (bent docs, left joy-con desyncing... etc.) would be fixed in a future revision and just taking the plunge now, and ultimately I decided to take the risk.

So now I'm looking for some reassurance. How many of you in here have had no issues with the dock scratching the screen, poor Wi-Fi, and/or left joy-con desyncing?

All I ever heard about are the problems people are having with their Switch and it makes me nervous.

I've been taking my Switch out of my dock a pretty decent amount, especially the past few days as handheld mode has been growing on me, and I don't have any scratches.

I'm less sure about the wifi. I was having some issues the first couple days, but since then it's been working fine. Granted my router is only about 20 feet away, so I'm hoping I don't have any issues in the future when that might not be the case. For what it's worth, my Splatoon 2 Splat Test download seemed to only take a minute or two, despite being 400~ MB's.

The only time I had an issue with my left Joy Con occurred when I slid my Switch behind my TV to try to see if that caused any issues, and my Joy Con desynced, but it was weird because even after I put the Joy Cons back on the system and tried handheld mode my left Joy Con wouldn't register. I finally ended up resyncing the Joy Con manually, and it's worked fine ever since, even with my Switch behind my TV, so I'm not sure what happened. Though I feel I should also mention that I don't sit very far away from my TV, so that probably helps.

This probably didn't do much to ease your concerns, haha. Unfortunately I'm not in the best position to talk about potential Switch issues due to living in a small apartment at the moment.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That Pro Controller lads.

I just got mine today and it cannot be overstated how much of an improvement it represents over the Joy-Cons. Which are a fine compromise for what they aim at.

But for the full, meaty TV experience you need the Pro Controller.

I almost wish there was a split version of it.

Maybe the best controller I've ever tried.

The really impressive test for me was Puyo Puyo Tetris. You don't really use the d-pad in Zelda, so I didn't realize just how damn good it is until I tried that game last night. It's so responsive, and it actually takes some getting used to, after becoming accustomed to the bullshit on other controllers on modern systems.

It's perfect. I genuinely want nothing else from it.

NimbusD

My left joycon last night was pulling diagonally to the right when centered. Only sometimes. Like if I were walking to the right and then let go it'd register as o was still just slightly holding to the right. Makes me worried it's broken but hopefully a restart or something will fix it because I love playing w the joycons. It's feeling looser and looser too. Makes me worried that the hori switch case I have isn't actually protecting it and may actually be bending the sticks in transit since I travel with it every day.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If pro controller had analog triggers it would be the greatest of all time hands down. Hell it still might be

Honestly, I prefer the digital triggers. Analog triggers have no value beyond racing games, and I like that they activate immediately when you press them and give you that satisfying tactile response.

No scratches or bent dock, no Wi-fi issues, but i did got a little joy con issue though my Switch is obstructed in its current position. I use the Pro Controller anyway so it's fine.

I don't have my Switch yet but I'm probably gonna roll with dark theme, looks nicer on top of being less blinding.

I absolutely detest the light them on NeoGAF; It's trash, looks ugly and is an embarrassment over the dark theme. For the Switch, I actually don't mind the light theme and I alternate between light and dark. I've always liked the light colors Nintendo used ever since I was a kid, so maybe I subconsciously accept it.

hao chi

There are a few 4-player party modes like basketball and air hockey, but nothing substantial. Fun, though.

Okay, thanks. I was under the impression that the puzzle stages allowed more than two players, but it seems that's not the case?

I think I'll go ahead and get Snipperclips, and maybe FAST as well.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Am I the only person who was stunned when they ended up enjoying the Switch left joycon "D-pad?" I couldn't believe it. I was expecting nothing and was surprised how well it works.

PSFan

I haven't had any issues with my Switch. I dock and undock several times a day with no scratching. Wifi always connects to my router on the other side of the house no problem. No joycon issues either, they both work fine with no disconnects when not attached and they also feel rock solid when attached to the Switch, no wobbles or anything.

EDIT: I don't use a screen protector either.

bobawesome

Ugh, I hate dealing with Nintendo products. I just knew I would regret buying a Switch because I knew there would be issues with the quality of the system. Called Nintendo to set up a repair and the woman I spoke to told me there's pretty much nothing they can do for cosmetic damage but I'm free to send the system in anyway.

m0t0k1

Can anybody tell me if the buttons on the pro controller are any different then the buttons on the joycons? The joycon buttons are kindy clicky. I prefer if they are more mushy.

I'm in the UK.

Is it possible to get World of Goo from the US eshop?

I created a US account but my card isn't being accepted. Seems like a zip code issue.

Nier Automata would be perfect for Switch. PERFECT.

Since I got it and seen what is possible with Zelda, it's annoying not being able to play games like that anywhere. If the switch gets the support it needs it's going to be an amazing console.

Willing to bed they have a big VC blowout at E3. Gamecube, Gamecube, Gamecube. Gamecube Joycon, Wii U Gamecube adapter support for the dock, etc. etc.

Eh, I don't necessarily know that E3 is the place to have a "VC blowout." Then the narrative becomes: "Xbox and PS4 have all these new exclusives, and Switch has... Gamecube games. Lulz"

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Yikes. Scared to get my switch back from Nintendo now.
I really hope they didn't replace the entire system.

Firebrand

Anyone noticing an interlaced effect during movement, like horizontal stripes? Doesn't appear when nothing is happening on screen, and there are no visible gaps vertically so I don't think it's just pixel gaps.

I don't think it's a problem really, just curious why it is. I remember the 3DS having the same thing.

Sorry to hear people are having issues with displays:( I got lucky for once and got a cool-temperatured screen with no dead pixels that I've seen, so I hope nothing breaks and I have to spin the wheel with a replacement unit...

XandBosch

Eh, I don't necessarily know that E3 is the place to have a "VC blowout." Then the narrative becomes: "Xbox and PS4 have all these new exclusives, and Switch has... Gamecube games. Lulz"

I suppose that's a good point, but I'd say as long as Nintendo brings the goods in terms of new games, it'd be less of an "old games vs new games" and more of a Xbox One Backwards Compat. type of moment, but only if they really nail it. If it's more "hey Mario Bros is available now!" then yeah, that'd be shit. But if it's "Hey, there are 20 games from every Nintendo console up to Gamecube available on Switch NOW, and we have these gamecube joycons, these n64 joycons, gamecube adapter support etc", it'd be a different story IMO.

The difference being that Xbox One doesn't have the heritage Nintendo does, Sony is still getting there but still nowhere close. People would love to play N64 and Gamecube games on the go I'm sure.

We've got six different joycon in this house between two Switch systems. Guess how many exhibit the sync issue. Every left joycon! Joy! All this along with my floppy cartridge slot cover.

Thinking I might just learn to accept the flappy card slot instead of risking everything by sending it in.

XandBosch

We've got six different joycon in this house between two Switch systems. Guess how many exhibit the sync issue. Every left joycon! Joy! All this along with my floppy cartridge slot cover.

Thinking I might just learn to accept the flappy card slot instead of risking everything by sending it in.

Weird, I've had no issues whatsoever with either of my two left joycons :/

They need to announce a Rhythm Heaven and Smash for Switch. Then I could trade in my Wii.

I'm also realizing that the only game I own for PS3 is Katamari Forever.

That 50% trade in credit bonus is looking nice at Gamestop...too bad I already bought all the Switch stuff I need for now.

...that doesn't count towards eshop cards, does it?

jmizzal

I agree the VC blowout def should not be at E3 and should be well before E3, like next month

mojo2

Neo Member
What is this fix you talk about? My left joy con wobbles ever so slightly but I want to fix it.
Little piece of electric tape on the bottom part of the rail or Joy-Con side of that, where the arrows are. I had better result with putting it on Joy-Con. EDIT: no I'll take that back, Switch rail is the one to tape.

We really shouldn't need to be doing this shit.

Little piece of electric tape on the bottom part of the rail or Joy-Con side of that, where the arrows are. I had better result with putting it on Joy-Con.

We really shouldn't need to be doing this shit.

I haven't had an issue like this. This is a problem with mass production. There are bound to be flaws. That doesn't excuse the lack of more testing of the left joy-con losing connection.

kyle-777-

No issues, even though I only had it for two days. I tested the joy cons up to around 13 feets (I don't have the space to test it farther away) and no problem. Really happy with my unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom