• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So happy with my Switch still. I feel like this has the potential to become my favourite system.

I can't wait to play Enter the Gungeon on the Switch. They need to announce a release date already so I can start counting down the days,

oti

Banned
Just heard a sound coming out of my right Joy-Con stick while moving it to the left. :/

How's that possible.

bibs

Wonder how soon before Nintendo release another OS update? Bugfixes of course, don't expect any new features till mid this year

Don't know if this is answered or not, but how do you use non-wireless headphones while playing in dock mode?

There's no headphone jack on the joycons or the pro controller...

Am I supposed to just plug it into the system next to my TV?
That's insane, now I have to buy a headphone extension cord?

So happy with my Switch still. I feel like this has the potential to become my favourite system.

s,

Yeah same, really happy. I think i am finally getting over the OCD stage of owning a console where every quirk sends a shiver of eternal doom down my spine and starting to really enjoy it.

mojo2

Neo Member
Yeah same, really happy. I think i am finally getting over the OCD stage of owning a console where every quirk sends a shiver of eternal doom down my spine and starting to really enjoy it.

I worry about it when I'm not playing but just starting it makes me smile and forget everything about it.

Gluka

Damn, that sucks. Sorry you have to deal with that. Out of curiosity, did your original "leafblower" Switch have a noisy fan 100% of the time, or was it occasional?

It was almost non-stop and would do it even when I had no games launched. I had one day where it didn't do it at all though. It seemed like it would get stuck on maximum fan speed and then there was nothing you could do to get it to go back down (if I waited to use the console again overnight it would just turn on and immediately start doing it again as if it were still hot).

I ordered a tri-wing screwdriver and some thermal compound because I thought it was the thermal paste, but then one day the fan just completely turned off and the console got hot to touch. I thought it might have been the heat sensor or something instead of the thermal paste so I decided to be safe and just turn it in for repair.

The battery indicator on my switch seems wonky. I will have it on at like 10 percent, then if I reset it it will go up to 40 percent. And I have played for over thirty minutes with the thing at 1 percent. Anyone else have this issue?
I read that a reboot or power cycle can fix this

Silurus

I'm curious as to how many others here are too afraid to use their their switch as a handheld? I'm paranoid about dropping it or damaging it in anyway, so I only ever play it docked.

I've never dropped or damaged any of my handhelds, but it's like some paranoia or phobia.

Bought to be used and enjoyed. I take mine everywhere I think I may get a spare 10 min to play.

Data Ghost

Well after having our Switch since launch day, I can honestly say that I love it. Both me and my daughter have used it non stop. She enjoys marathon gaming sessions of Zelda in portable mode, and I enjoy playing docked on my 55" TV with the pro controller.

Haven't experienced any hardware issues so far (touch wood). And the pro controller is a must if you plan to play on the TV. Very comfortable and well built.

All in all the system gives me a good vibe and really hope that it continues to do well.

Finally got my glass screen protector on. I've had no issues with my dock or my screen at all these past two weeks, but hey. I would've needed it anyhow for travel. Feels real nice.

Felensis

Banned
I couldn't love my Switch more. While I initially was skeptical about the system, I'm now totally hooked. As a father of a 9 month young daughter and husband my Xbox One collected dust for months now, because I rarely get the time to play or just one hour very late in the evening, but now I play on the go in the train to work, during lunch with a colleague and in the evening on the big screen or in handheld mode when the wife is occupying the TV for stuff like Germany's Next Topmodel xD

TheContact

After not being hyped for this at all, and then getting a chance to play Zelda on it, I now want one really badly. Problem is: everyone is sold out. Any idea how long for shipments to come in?

Vitacat

After not being hyped for this at all, and then getting a chance to play Zelda on it, I now want one really badly. Problem is: everyone is sold out. Any idea how long for shipments to come in?

I've heard more shipments are due sometime in April. But, they will probably be hard to find for a few more months as Nintendo ramps up production. Also, every big Nintendo release will dramatically increase demand for the system, and Mario Kart hits next month.

I camped for 15 hours for my launch Switch, but BOTW has quickly become my favorite GOAT, so it was well worth it.

Early April. Your best bet before then is trying to find the retailers that could still have a handful in-store.

anddo0

Anyone with a Sony Pulse Elite, these work great with the Switch (wired of course). I've found that headphones with their own volume slider tend to be louder overall. The Pulse Elites are great because you get that bass impact for bombs and other world effects. Surprised how well it works.

The Hyper X Stinger also give about a 30% boost to the volume; not bad for $50.

Aiii

So not worth it

They'll have regular shipments, just reserve it somewhere and wait, I suspect you shouldn't have to wait more than a month at this point.

Deja

Think mine is going back for a refund, still a little on the fence but I really don't wanna play Joy-Con lottery with Nintendo.

If I do, I'll get another when they sort their shit out.

Any IrishGAF know about the Switch stock over here? I'll probably buy one when Spla2n comes out but I'm really curious at the moment. Going to Italy in April and it would be perfect for the long airport drives.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Think mine is going back for a refund, still a little on the fence but I really don't wanna play Joy-Con lottery with Nintendo.

If I do, I'll get another when they sort their shit out.

Alternatively, send in your Joycons to Nintendo and have them fix it?

Deja

Alternatively, send in your Joycons to Nintendo and have them fix it?

Nah man, I've proper seen my arse with it, I'm gonna be unable to play for up to 10 working days because of their shoddy hardware, and what if I get another set of defective Joy-Cons? Least if I get a refund and go to an actual store, it's a lot less hassle to return it.

I'm really torn in all honesty. I just don't feel like I should have to wait that amount of time because it isn't my fault.

I've had issues with Nintendo hardware before too (3DS..), so this is just pushing me a bit. I fully intend to buy another Switch, however.

Omerta

Bought one of these today and I'm very happy... ive experienced one quite frustrating issue a couple of times though - can anyone help?

Initially, when I put the zelda cartridge in the system wouldn't recognise it. I took it back out and in again then it worked.

I played for an hour or two (what a fucking game!) and put the system into rest mode... when I woke it up again, it said that I'd taken the cartridge out while it was being read and I was a very naughty boy (I didn't, obviously).

When I tried to reload the game again it attempted to load it and said that there was a software error. I tried again and again with the same message.

I restarted the system and haven't had a problem since.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Deja

Bought one of these today and I'm very happy... ive experienced one quite frustrating issue a couple of times though - can anyone help?

Initially, when I put the zelda cartridge in the system wouldn't recognise it. I took it back out and in again then it worked.

I played for an hour or two (what a fucking game!) and put the system into rest mode... when I woke it up again, it said that I'd taken the cartridge out while it was being read and I was a very naughty boy (I didn't, obviously).

When I tried to reload the game again it attempted to load it and said that there was a software error. I tried again and again with the same message.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Take it back and swap it!

_h8bit

Banned
After playing Tumbleseed at PAX, it's easily become my most anticipated for this system. Until they announce a new Animal Crossing game that is.

dealer-

Any thoughts or ideas?

Had exactly the same experience at launch. It wouldn't recognize the Zelda cartridge at all for the first ten minutes and then had software errors for the first 48 hours.

It worked fine thereafter but I still took mine back for a refund as I didn't want to waste time in BotW without the ability to transfer a save to a new system. It will probably be okay if you stick with it though.

lenovox1

Wonder how soon before Nintendo release another OS update? Bugfixes of course, don't expect any new features till mid this year

Unless this ducker really gets hacked, probably not until the "summer," unfortunately, when the online beta starts.

I say unfortunately because there's some software quirks they could fix now.

Heads up guys that Nintendo seems to have set an arbitrary limit of 1000 screenshots unless you put in an SD card. Despite the fact that those 1000 don't use up any more than a couple hundred MB at the most, but alright Nintendo. So if you're crazy with your Zelda screens like me, you might need an SD sooner than you expected!

Is there really no way at all to backup saves on the Switch?

I'm getting pretty far into Zelda and the thought of losing my save data is legit terrifying.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Got my Switch back from Nintendo this morning and they just swapped it for a new unit.
My saves and accounts were all transfered over fine. I noticed a mystery "?" icon and when I click on it it asks me to insert the game card for it.

I'm guessing they use this card as a diagnostic, or maybe to transfer data to new systems.

Of course the first thing I did with the new Switch was drop it again. haha (no damage though)

I'm curious as to how many others here are too afraid to use their their switch as a handheld? I'm paranoid about dropping it or damaging it in anyway, so I only ever play it docked.

I've never dropped or damaged any of my handhelds, but it's like some paranoia or phobia.

I've never used the dock.

finalflame

I'm the opposite, I only use it in handheld mode until I stop being lazy and put my screen protector on. Fuck getting scratches from putting it in the dock.

jts

...hate me...
Got my Switch back from Nintendo this morning and they just swapped it for a new unit.
My saves and accounts were all transfered over fine. I noticed a mystery "?" icon and when I click on it it asks me to insert the game card for it.

I'm guessing they use this card as a diagnostic, or maybe to transfer data to new systems.

Of course the first thing I did with the new Switch was drop it again. haha (no damage though)

Good news.

SiDCrAzY

So much gaming goodness(not pictured to the side, Blaster Master)

C7InSjxV4AAOJxD.jpg:large

Very good! Sounds like Nintendo support has a way to transfer and/or backup save data now, which hopefully means we get that soon in a firmware update.

:/

I seriously can't believe this crap lol

If I lose my Zelda save for whatever reason I'm gonna be tighttt

not that I know of :\

absolute insanity. I don't want piracy happening on the Switch but things like this make me pray for it to be hacked. at least that way we could back up saves theoretically.

roytheone

So, I have a weird issue and am wondering if it is just me or a bug in the OS:

If I put my switch in plane mode while using it as a handheld, then dock it and disable plane mode while docked, WiFi NEVER works. It will always show 0 bars. If I put it in the dock with plane mode already disabled though, WiFi works fine.

Vitacat

:/

I seriously can't believe this crap lol

If I lose my Zelda save for whatever reason I'm gonna be tighttt

I know. It's compete BS that they released Switch w/o a way to backup or transfer saves. I love this system, it's basically my favorite game system right now and I own a ton of game systems. But it was released with completely gimped firmware. So many things are missing. But I'm confident firmware updates will fix many of them soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom