• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitacat

Is the home button ever supposed to light up? It looks like the outer ring is translucent, but mine never lights up.

Don't think so. Mine doesn't light up either. I think it's just an aesthetic touch that it looks like that. Or, maybe it's just not enabled in firmware yet.

Does anyone else's fan kick into high gear when booting up Zelda, primarily in the Zora Domain?

It gets warm then cools down, but is weird to have it occur. Was during
pre Ruta fight with all the rain and at night time mostly.

Anyone else get warm? And the battery went from 95 down to 42% mighty quick. Expected, but only took about an hour and 45 minutes, lowest brightness.

Early spoiler
also for a first dungeon slash boss fight I loved it, I used too many arrows though haha.

oti

Banned
I got to test another Switch unit today and my Joy-Con are definitely busted. Mine can be moved to an alarming degree while docked to the tablet. They even make a cracking noise. Tried a friend's Switch and his Joy-Con were rock solid. I contacted Amazon France (I'm in Germany) about this issue. Let's see what they'll have to say about it.

I got to test another Switch unit today and my Joy-Con are definitely busted. Mine can be moved to an alarming degree while docked to the tablet. They even make a cracking noise. Tried a friend's Switch and his Joy-Con were rock solid. I contacted Amazon France (I'm in Germany) about this issue. Let's see what they'll have to say about it.

I've seen some people use electrical tape to tighten up the connection, but it sounds like yours are an extreme case.

Glix

Does anyone else's fan kick into high gear when booting up Zelda, primarily in the Zora Domain?

It gets warm then cools down, but is weird to have it occur. Was during
pre Ruta fight with all the rain and at night time mostly.

Anyone else get warm? And the battery went from 95 down to 42% mighty quick. Expected, but only took about an hour and 45 minutes, lowest brightness.

Early spoiler
also for a first dungeon slash boss fight I loved it, I used too many arrows though haha.

That seems too quick for lowest brightness, especially if you had airplane mode on as well.

I have over 60 hours in zelda, 90% in handheld and I have only heard the fan spin up 3 times, and all were brief.

M.D.L

Neo Member
C7HHHvvXkAA5GSU.jpg

Anyone know what is the different between the gray activity and the blue activity?

Majine

Banned
I notice the joycons on the switch tablet wiggle very slightly back and forward. Not much, but enough to be annoying and make the whole thing seem flimsy.

Anyone else?

bounchfx

I honestly love my switch so far but does anyone else feel like the stand is mostly pointless? the screen basically points forward, which makes it difficult to view unless it's raised up high/you sit really low. Is there any way to angle it more?

I honestly love my switch so far but does anyone else feel like the stand is mostly pointless? the screen basically points forward, which makes it difficult to view unless it's raised up high/you sit really low. Is there any way to angle it more?

yeah the stand is obnoxious

i don't get why it isn't centered either. if you are on any surface that is slightly angled it tips over on one side.

I notice the joycons on the switch tablet wiggle very slightly back and forward. Not much, but enough to be annoying and make the whole thing seem flimsy.

Anyone else?

I started to notice this too but i think it's normal. A durability test video i saw somewhere here reported the same thing. But although it was flimsy the rail/lock is very hard to break off

Why is the wifi so shitty on this thing? To get 3 bars I have to place it right next to my router.

Fortunately USB ethernet adapters are only $10 on amazon but still. I guess it's a good thing I plan on using this mostly as a home console.

SiDCrAzY

None of my friends have bought World of Goo

I don't think so, look at my friend's profile:

C7Jk9rUU4AEhCAR.jpg

BOTW is blue while he bought it on 3rd Mar.

Hmm, I'm wondering if your friends Zelda activity turned blue after the 10 day mark that it first started showing how many hours they played?

In that sense, it was something new added to the activity.

I'm not sure, just throwing out possible explanations.

1upsuper

It was almost non-stop and would do it even when I had no games launched. I had one day where it didn't do it at all though. It seemed like it would get stuck on maximum fan speed and then there was nothing you could do to get it to go back down (if I waited to use the console again overnight it would just turn on and immediately start doing it again as if it were still hot).

I ordered a tri-wing screwdriver and some thermal compound because I thought it was the thermal paste, but then one day the fan just completely turned off and the console got hot to touch. I thought it might have been the heat sensor or something instead of the thermal paste so I decided to be safe and just turn it in for repair.
Ah, I see. Thank you for your post. Seems like a few people have reported similar issues. Mine gets loud from time to time but it's not constant.

MAX PAYMENT

Anyone have issues with joycon battery life?

If I'm playing primarily in TV mode, I imagine I wouldn't put them on the switch unless I had to charge them.

I have 2 ps4s controllers, one charges until the one I'm using dies, then it swaps.

Would 2 sets of joy cons make sense for the type of rotation, but also the added benefit of having a total of 4 controllers for Mario kart?

Majine

Banned
Can Mario Kart 8 DX hurry up and come out?

I need something that's not Zelda on this thing (Zelda is awesome, but I need variety) and nothing else on the Eshop interests me.

japtor

I'm in a ghetto version of the Switch commercial:

EakUgOQl.jpg

Taking a road trip and got two then three player Puyo Puyo Tetris going. Love this thing.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I still don't get why people ever thought this wasn't the case

Other people mentioned they didn't have their saves transferred so I was ready to start Zelda over.
Luckily they did. I just had to redownload the patch and other digital games. (Icons were still there though)

Even my Japanese account was moved.

Javier

I was going to wait until Virtual Console arrived, but I decided to create a Japanese Nintendo Account and download the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo. Man, they could have sold this demo as an Express version of the game for 5 bucks or something and it would have been totally worth it.

Then I tried using my Chilean credit card on the Japanese eShop and surprisingly, it went through, and it also worked before on the American eShop. Nice to see I don't have to worry about buying online codes anymore.

Mobius 1

Is the home button ever supposed to light up? It looks like the outer ring is translucent, but mine never lights up.

I imagine that it might in a future firmware update, to behave like the WiiU's home button - lights up when there are messages or updates.

Or maybe it's just a dumb button without a light.

japtor

That does look like you block the vents though D:
Uh no it doesn't. It's sandwiched between the head rest and the rest of the chair, so it's completely open other than the two metal poles connecting the two.
Heh, kinda did. The headrest is pretty much pushed down holding it in, at first it was covering it but rotated it to the side and uncovered them while playing. Realized the vents were covered before after I did that though. Another plus is that someone had a USB-C cable/charger and had it charging too, so that rotated position worked great for leaving the vent and USB port open.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Can you play handheld mode while plugged in? Like does the charger go in the handheld or in the dock only?

I'm starting to think I'd have rather had dual 3DS style thumbsliders instead of the just-too-small thumbsticks.

Really starting to be an issue playing Zelda. No where near enough travel for the precision I'd prefer.

May become a bigger issue when the first big FPS or 3D platformer hits.

Okada

I'm starting to think I'd have rather had dual 3DS style thumbsliders instead of the just-too-small thumbsticks.

Really starting to be an issue playing Zelda. No where near enough travel for the precision I'd prefer.

Not had any issues myself. I'd personally say the sticks are infinitely better than the sliders.

Omerta

sony-ps4-game-control-mount-gcm10-p48729-f.jpg

I *need* this for the Switch and the Pro Controller.

I modified that exact rig to fit a vita. Used it loads for remote play for a short while but there's a fair bit of weight hanging off there... it'd be the same with the switch I'd imagine.

KAL2006

Banned
sony-ps4-game-control-mount-gcm10-p48729-f.jpg

I *need* this for the Switch and the Pro Controller.

Nintendo need to just release a Pro JoyCon. Full large buttons and analogs and handles to be able to play games can't comfortably in handheld mode and you don't care about the sleek and small factor.

jts

...hate me...
I modified that exact rig to fit a vita. Used it loads for remote play for a short while but there's a fair bit of weight hanging off there... it'd be the same with the switch I'd imagine.
Ah yeah I can see it. Still would like for a 3rd party to make something like that, just for some occasions.

Nintendo need to just release a Pro JoyCon. Full large buttons and analogs and handles to be able to play games can't comfortably in handheld mode and you don't care about the sleek and small factor.
That could be sweet as well.

You want to play an FPS with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom