• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This happens constantly on The Binding Of Isaac. Had it happen ONCE on zelda as well when I blew up a bunch of exploding barrels near a bokoblin camp.

Well glad to hear I'm not the only one.

That would be a major annoyance with Binding of Isaac, at least Zelda autosaves constantly.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So I've been playing World of Goo with pointer controls and I'm amazed how accurate these are and how it really does feel like wiimote pointer controls.

So it got mw thinking. There's something I'd like to know. Theoretically would it be possible for Nintendo to come out with a Wii Virtual Console and emulate the pointer with these gyro controls at system level? Theoretically could Nintendo trick the system in to thinking it's using an IR pointer and a sensor bar just from the gyro in the joycon?

I want that Wii Virtual Console. Please give me hope.

Today I traded in a couple of games (including my Wii U copies of BOTW and MK8 - gonna get 'em on Switch) and now I have a third of the money I need to buy a Switch. I'm really excited to jump in, maybe when I finish college I'll treat myself.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
my Orzly screen protector and case just came. really happy with both. the screen protector was so easy to apply. no air bubbles and it lined up just perfectly first try. there some specs of dust trapped but eh whatever. now i don't need to worry about scratches when using the dock or getting it covered in fingerprints.

the case looks promising. right now i only have 1 joycon (the other is off getting fixed) so it isn't secured properly. that said, there is plenty of room for cables and you can store cartridges in it.

Phoenixus

So twice now I've received a "software closed error occurred" on my Switch. The first time occured while playing Lego City Undercover in co-op, but I've also experienced two white screens/freezing while booting LCU so I figured it was most likely software-related.

Well today I was playing Breath of the Wild for around 10 minutes when "software closed error occured " abruptly ended my gaming session. I rebooted Breath of the Wild and played for another 10 minutes before I had to quit, but I had no further problems.

So now it has happened with two different pieces of software (both physical carts). Now this is over 120+ hours playing the system, but both instances have occured over the last 20 hours. The only thing I have changed is entering and formatting a new micro SD card for the system, but nothing is currently on the card (to my knowledge).

Have any of you experienced​ this error yet?

Same here, just with Lego City so far. Wouldn't mind too much if the game didn't take so long to bootup from complete shutdown. :/

Firebrand

Hmm, I still can't get more than 1 bar reception unless I'm right next to the router, on either 2.4 or 5 GHz bands. The 3DS meanwhile gets full bars in the same spot, which is less than 10m from the router with one wall or door.

Tried a full system shutdown by holding the power button for a long time, and updates, but didn't help.

AGoodODST

Is it possible the Switch wifi icon is inaccurate because my Switch never shows 3 bars but I had no issues during the Splatoon testfire or using the eshop/downloading games.

I'm pretty sure it is. When my router was further away it would jump between 2-3 bars but the connection would be utter shit, often disconnecting. Forget watching videos on the eShop, regularly kicked from the Splatoon testfire etc.

I moved it closer and it now it shows one bar but the connection is great. Video streaming works fine and I haven't had any connection issues.

SeanR1221

Thinking about it, the combo of Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart and Splatoon, along with all the indies (and whatever lands between fall and March) makes the Switch's first year one of the best IMO.

If Arms delivers and Xenoblade drops this year....🙀🙀🙀

Is playing Zelda with a Pro controller better/more comfortable than with the Joycons?

I'm sure it's subjective, but I prefer playing with split joycons since I can hold my wrists/elbows in whatever position I want. Holding a controller forces a position that isn't the best over longer play sessions.

Mr. Hyde

Is playing Zelda with a Pro controller better/more comfortable than with the Joycons?

I didn't try a pro controller yet but it does feel really natural using the joycons for me. I doubt i will bother with a pro controller anytime soon. I will end up buying an extra joycon set for two player arms.

I can definitely understand the people who find things like Achievements something that distracts them from enjoying the game naturally. However, to me as much as anything they're an interesting way to see what my friends are doing other than that they've put X hours into a game. I look at my Steam activity page and can see one friend has recently beat world 4 and 5 bosses of Yooka-Laylee, another beat Trails in the Sky SC, another got a bunch of "Met (important NPC)" ones for I Am Setsuna, another scored his first goal in Rocket League.

The Joycons with the grip is actually not that bad to handle. I thought it would be an ergonomic nightmare. And then there's also the fact that you can separate the joycons and play that way. The Pro Controller is significant better though, in terms of comfort and the analog sticks being much more freer than the joycons' sticks.

me0wish

Aside from the worst Dpad ever, the Pro controller just feels great to play with, would of been my favorite (standard) controller if the layout was similar to the Wii U Pro and if it had a better dpad.

Personally though, nothing feels better than having my hands wherever I want them to be. Not to mention that they feel incredibly comfy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm... Turned on my Switch for the first time in a few days and I'm now getting some really odd screen flickering. I'm in portable mode. I tried to reboot a few times, but it's not going away. I've turned it off for now and am charging up to full, but does anyone have any ideas?

chekhonte

Hmm... Turned on my Switch for the first time in a few days and I'm now getting some really odd screen flickering. I'm in portable mode. I tried to reboot a few times, but it's not going away. I've turned it off for now and am charging up to full, but does anyone have any ideas?

Return to nintendo for repairs.

I just opened and set up my Switch and am having a lot of problems connecting to the eShop. Is it down today? I get an error almost every time I try, and when it doesn't give an error the downloads for demos show zero progress.

atmuh

people have shown setups that have it mounted to something telescoping from a bed post overhead. what on amazon are they using again? sorry for horribly phrased question

Cuburt

Not sure how much this is common knowledge, but the stand that came with Kid Icarus Uprising for the 3DS can be used as a pretty good stand.

3ds_stand_large_2.jpg

It even has a cut out at the bottom which means you can charge it at the same time and it's long enough that if any games support Tate mode in the future, it will support the Switch that way as well.

The only real drawbacks is that it only has one angle and as you can see it leans back a bit too far for my preference but it's still fine. Also it blocks portions of the back vents, but not completely. I'm sure you can modify the stand if it's something that worries you (drilling holes in the plastic seems like the easiest way, off the top of my head), or what I do is position the bottom of the Switch further out where it rests on the bottom to give some room for air to pass through.

Seems like a good additional solution if you already have one laying around, or can find one for cheap online.

I've been thinking about this lately. I remember being outraged that Nintendo didn't pack in the charging grip in the system, but I realized that I leave the joycons in anyways so the charging grip seems redundant more than anything. Is there even a point to buying that charge grip?

Cuburt

I've been thinking about this lately. I remember being outraged that Nintendo didn't pack in the charging grip in the system, but I realized that I leave the joycons in anyways so the charging grip seems redundant more than anything. Is there even a point to buying that charge grip?
That's why much of that pre-release outrage was ridiculous since people made up scenarios in their heads for how much something would be a problem rather than seeing what their real world usage would actually be. Not to mention it's something that could easily be parsed out to be a complete non-issue due to how long the Joycon battery lasts and how docking them on the console is the best place to store them anyways, but that didn't stop multiple threads full of hundreds of posts freaking out about a problem that was completely in people's heads.

The charging grip seems like it's best for if you have an extra set of joycon for multiplayer. It allow them to be used as a full controller, while also allowing them to "dock" and charge on their own rather than having to swap them out with the set on the console.

Haven't looked back very far in this thread, but I'm sure people have covered how all these accesories are hard to find in addition to the Switch. I decided a few days ago I wanted that Hori PlayStand for $12.99, but Amazon's listing said "Usually in stock in 1-2 months" or something like that, so I was waiting for that "Now in stock" to show up again. Now Amazon has taken their listing down and only one seller is offering it—for a whopping $39.99. No thanks.

Most retail stores are sold out of it. Walmart has a listing for $15 but it's some random online seller with a 70% review average, and Frys.com has it but with like $9 shipping added on (I don't live anywhere near a Fry's).

I'm almost certain Hori is producing more of every Switch accessory as we speak (which is why I'm not paying extra right now), but if anyone has heard more on Hori's accessory situation, I'd appreciate it.

I'm sure it's subjective, but I prefer playing with split joycons since I can hold my wrists/elbows in whatever position I want. Holding a controller forces a position that isn't the best over longer play sessions.

That reminds me that I [em]still[/em] haven't tried out the joy-con grip. Split controllers were a marvel for me when the Wii initially came out, and I really wished that Sony would come out with a split version of their more conventional controller so I could enjoy PS3 games in a more leisurely fashion. Splitfish made some interesting inroads there, but I didn't get what I was really hoping for until the Switch. There's still room for improvement (heck, I wouldn't mind trying out the alternate grip in that Nintendo patent that made the joy-con buttons and sticks line up diagonally, more like a "pro" controller instead of being directly above and below each other), but I am super, super happy that I get to decide where my hands are when I'm playing instead of having them forced to be locked together.

edit:

Should I get Mr. Shifty or Shovel Knight?

While I really liked Mr. Shifty, Shovel Knight is a better game. Longer playtime, more mechanics, more enemy types, better story, fewer glitches and crashes.

sleepnaught

Anyone else get horrible hand craps when playing Fast RMX? My right is in pain when playing in portable mode. I guess it's from holding down the boost button so frequently.

Anyone else get horrible hand craps when playing Fast RMX? My right is in pain when playing in portable mode. I guess it's from holding down the boost button so frequently.

I played for hours at a time when I did my review, and I didn't have that problem - but everyone's hands are different.

RootCause

I actually have gotten a lot of use from my charge grip. Can't say the same about the pro. :p

Mr Swine

Banned
Hi, does anyone know if the Nintendo account you use for Eshop can work on other Switch if I buy a new one? Like will all my downloadable games work?

Persona7

Banned
Not sure how much this is common knowledge, but the stand that came with Kid Icarus Uprising for the 3DS can be used as a pretty good stand.

It even has a cut out at the bottom which means you can charge it at the same time and it's long enough that if any games support Tate mode in the future, it will support the Switch that way as well.

The only real drawbacks is that it only has one angle and as you can see it leans back a bit too far for my preference but it's still fine. Also it blocks portions of the back vents, but not completely. I'm sure you can modify the stand if it's something that worries you (drilling holes in the plastic seems like the easiest way, off the top of my head), or what I do is position the bottom of the Switch further out where it rests on the bottom to give some room for air to pass through.

Seems like a good additional solution if you already have one laying around, or can find one for cheap online.
It doesn't have vent cut outs. Do not use this with your switch.

Firebrand

Finally decided to try the dock and uh... is the UI supposed to look kinda blurry, like it was upscaled from 720p or something? Monitor reports 1080p, monitor overscan is turned off, I've set the screen size to 100% in the settings and it hits the corners of the display precisely, but everything still looks a bit soft. edit: Tried the Puyo Puyo demo and it looks crisp enough. edit2: Oh, it actually renders the UI at 720p even when connected to a TV. Huh.

Also dear lord at this wifi, so bad reception where my 3DS gets full that it won't even auto-connect to the access point. Guess I'll have to pay for an Ethernet adapter, sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom