• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: new Firmware update available (Ver. 3.0.0)

-shadow-

What exactly does changing the pro controller to be wired do? I always had it plugged in via USB when docked to play.
The inputs are send over the wire instead of Bluetooth. Reducing input delay, even if it's the slightest of delays.

Edit: beaten

sugarless

The wording of the European update notes seems a little different and clearer about headphones:

"The maximum volume limit for headphones has increased"

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Pleasantly surprised they increased the headphone volume. It was pitiful before, haven't tried it after the update.

It's great. I can't even go full volume before it's too loud and hearts my ears. I imagine this would be the perfect volume for playing outside the home in a crowded place (public transit).

So before even though it was plugged in with the USB it was still acting as a wireless controller?

Any benefit with it being wired now? I just played some games and didn't notice anything different.

overall it's good for things like playing in areas where the signal might drop, or any kind of LAN environment where there is a lot of signal traffic around.

I was playing Blaster Master Zero and it looks like FW may have increased the stick deadzone size?
Anyone else notice this?
I"m not complaining as it's actually a bit better now :)

jts

...hate me...
Can someone tell me the file size for this update?
Hard to say, IIRC the firmware downloads only state the completion %. In any case it was relatively fast to download, I'd venture it's in the 100s MB. Don't take my word for it though.

I saw a post on Reddit claiming that Lego City Undercover runs noticeably better in portable mode after the update, so I tried the game in both docked and portable modes and didn't notice any difference myself. Framerate still drops in portable mode when the camera is showing a lot of objects on-screen, and in docked mode I still get the occasional hitch + drop when boosting while driving.

sugarless

Now that HDMI is fixed.

NEXT UPDATE: Allow bluetooth headphone/earphones.

Is it feasible to patch this in? As in, there's nothing that would need to be baked into the product to make this work, just a matter of software? I'd love it if so. I can't help but feel there's some kind of issue with controller Bluetooth connections. Perhaps the Bluetooth bandwidth just isn't there?

Since you'd typically use headphones when playing alone, it would be great if they could patch in support even if using BT headphones limits the number of connectable controllers.

Turrican3

You can test each channel when switching to surround. I haven't had a chance to test in a game yet, so maybe it's just the test that's broken but I doubt it. Maybe someone else can confirm broken surround in games too?
Is this new to the 3.0 update?

Can't really remember there was a test before, but I'm not *that* sure... will try, thanks!

Phatcorns

So before even though it was plugged in with the USB it was still acting as a wireless controller?

Any benefit with it being wired now? I just played some games and didn't notice anything different.

I imagine that's a fighting game thing. Less latency. Gives good hope for smash bros coming out

CTLance

The only Switch crash I ever experienced was with a Hotel WLAN. It would show absolutely crappy reception, then suddenly hardlock right upon connection. Had to hold the power button for a loooong time (way beyond 12 seconds, I was starting to get worried) to get it to boot again. Hasn't happened with 3.0 yet, and I get more bars. Yay!

I hope this extends to local play. Under 2.4 I also had serious trouble trying to run a small Mario Kart tournament between three switches. Connection errors would crop up the moment the switches lost line of sight to each other. And even then it was kinda wonky. Like, a waiter put down a glass of water next to one of the switches and the game started dropping frames and died. I won't be able to test this until next-next weekend, but I pray they managed to iron out the bugs.
Can someone tell me the file size for this update?
256-ish Megabyte for me (EU, 2.4.0->3.0.0).

CJY

Banned
Anyone notice this? Prior to Firmware 3.0, if my Switch was in sleep mode, and I bought a digital title via Nintendo's web site at my computer, I'd have to wake up the Switch for it to start to download the title.

However, after updating to Firmware 3.0, I bought Cave Story last night at my computer, and an hour later when I picked up my Switch and powered it on from sleep mode, the game was already downloaded.

What? You can buy Switch games from their website? I did not know that

Yeah, it's super handy when a sale pops up--I can buy it on my computer at work and it'll be ready to go when I get home.

You sure about this though?

I know with Wii U you could buy a game and then it would download while the system is asleep, but with Switch it says the download only begins once you wake the Switch.

Each time I've tried it with the Switch, it doesn't download automatically.

Videos arent buffering every 5 seconds either

Never had that problem.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
You sure about this though?

I know with Wii U you could buy a game and then it would download while the system is asleep, but with Switch it says the download only begins once you wake the Switch.

Each time I've tried it with the Switch, it doesn't download automatically..

Oh I've never tried it with the Switch, but I know it works with both my 3DS and Wii U, so I can't imagine why it wouldn't carry over to their new hardware.

7roject28

So I have my Switch HDMI go out to a little Audio/Video converter box so I can extract the audio from the HDMI to go out as Coaxial. Seems like it's not sending HDMI signal out when it's docked now because the Switch screen stays on while docked and the converter box isn't switching over. Was looking through the settings but don't see anything of relevance. It's been working fine ever since I got it until this new update.

Beartruck

Just got my Pokken controller in from gamestop's website since this new patch enables it. I held off on buying the pro controller because I was sure I could get a good dpad for cheaper, and boy was it. Mark of the wolves feels ten times better on it than the switch's sorry excuse for a dpad.

Toparaman

Banned
So I have my Switch HDMI go out to a little Audio/Video converter box so I can extract the audio from the HDMI to go out as Coaxial. Seems like it's not sending HDMI signal out when it's docked now because the Switch screen stays on while docked and the converter box isn't switching over. Was looking through the settings but don't see anything of relevance. It's been working fine ever since I got it until this new update.

https://en-americas-support.nintend...1bUVZRWtjSEJFdG5heFpwcmh4WlFLV09lQ1ElMjElMjE=

Check the solution near the bottom of the page.

Putosaure

Does anyone has this issue since the update ? Whenever I want to undock my Switch when on Sleep mode, the screen lights up but stays black no matter what. I have to brute force turn off the console and turn it back on...

tsab

Does anyone has this issue since the update ? Whenever I want to undock my Switch when on Sleep mode, the screen lights up but stays black no matter what. I have to brute force turn off the console and turn it back on...

happened to me twice right after i got the update. I haven't had it since then

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

It happened 4 or 5 times to me, have to brute force turn off too...

It's like they introduced a bug that can occur when the console is put to sleep, game running or not, the whole UI crashes and is unresponsive upon wake up.

We need a stability fix now.

Putosaure

It's like they introduced a bug that can occur when the console is put to sleep, game running or not, the whole UI crashes and is unresponsive upon wake up.

I guess you can't have proper HDMI wake signal stuff and proper Sleep at the same time... :D

Yeah happened to me too.

11redder

I guess you can't have proper HDMI wake signal stuff and proper Sleep at the same time... :D
Lol.

It happened to me twice in the first two days after the 3.0 update but thankfully not a single time since.

I also had it happen once in the three months prior to the latest update (actually thought it was bricked for a second) and there were other people on here saying the same thing happened to them.

Gradon

I've had it 4 times when I undock it for my work commute.
It's really annoying.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Oh I've never tried it with the Switch, but I know it works with both my 3DS and Wii U, so I can't imagine why it wouldn't carry over to their new hardware.

I have kind of given up on background OS and game downloads as the console will often lose WiFi connectivity and refuse to connect to the Internet again until I turn it off and back on again... :/.

BizzyBum

Does anyone else's pro controller randomly disconnect now? I have it wired so it's really weird. Only started happening after this update.

Nico_D

Found out a problem with my Switch setup. If headphones are plugged in, the console mutes HDMI out. The problem is that then my recording device doesn't pick up sound either.

So I can't record and use headsets. Or have the Switch connected to my PC to voice chat through Discord that way.

So guess I will have to start using Discord on my tablet or something.

Top Bottom