• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: new Firmware update available (Ver. 3.0.0)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Saying that you want X feature in the OS is one thing.

Saying this update is worthless because it doesn't have that one thing you want is another completely different thing.

Also, it's not like there wasn't any information about what the Switch had or lacked at the time of release. If you wanted those features so badly, you should have waited until the Switch had them. You can fault Nintendo all you want for lacking "basic functionality", but it was you who bought the system based on a promise of things to come (that they never actually made, as far as I'm aware).

This is borderline victim/customer blaming though...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Speaking as a game developer, version numbers mandate diddly squat. There is no standard for versions, not even guidelines. Every single company treats version numbers different, and many, even big ones, change how they do their numbering at some point - for example, Mac OS climbed steadily to 9.2.2, then got stuck at 10.x.x for the next 16 years (so far). nVidia releases a new driver roughly every month, those drivers are mostly bug fixes and optimizations, their version number jumps up by 3 on average no matter whether it’s a small change or major features added.

So let’s look at Nintendo. Version 2.0.0 on launch day, added features that Nintendo considered important enough to list. Versions 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, those were bugfix releases that did nothing of note (“General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience”). Version 3.0 added a number of features that Nintendo considered important enough to list. So Nintendo advances the first number when they add features they consider worth listing. In this case, they enabled the USB ports, added a bunch of quality-of-life features, and fixed some of the largest issues that people complain about - for Switch, this *is* a major release.

No standard or guidelines? The holy wars of semantic versioning spilled blood for nothing ;)?!?

A lot of people abuse versioning for marketing purposes or misuse it, but that does not mean there are no standards :).

Filter

I'm not going to update if it breaks surround sound. I need my surround sound for Zelda dammit.

Bummer. I doubt this will be fixed quickly either.

Kureransu

I'm not going to update if it breaks surround sound. I need my surround sound for Zelda dammit.

Bummer. I doubt this will be fixed quickly either.

I tried it this morning and had no issue whatsoever. I mean it reset to automatic or whatever, but when i set it to surround and tested, every channel worked accordingly. Maybe it depends o the receiver?

I tried it this morning and had no issue whatsoever. I mean it reset to automatic or whatever, but when i set it to surround and tested, every channel worked accordingly. Maybe it depends o the receiver?

It seems like the system menu test is messed up with the sub and rear right channels being switched. In game it's fine though. I sat next to the rear right speaker playing some ARMS and directional crowd sounds/power up bleeps were playing properly.

Filter

Or really? This sounds good

I'll update if thats the case

Pleasant update but where is Netflix support?
Netflix support is completely unrelated to firmware, it would be an app that you download, not part of the system OS. You should ask Netflix why they haven’t written a Switch app yet, that’s mostly unrelated to Nintendo except for access to dev kits.

jts

...hate me...
Netflix support is completely unrelated to firmware, it would be an app that you download, not part of the system OS. You should ask Netflix why they haven't written a Switch app yet, that's mostly unrelated to Nintendo except for access to dev kits.
Come on, Nintendo clearly doesn't want the Switch to be anything but a Switch game running machine for now. Netflix would be there yesterday if they could.

I'm sure it will be a big thing when Nintendo announces media capabilities for the Switch (browser, Netflix, maybe music, etc).

branny

Tried an arcade stick with a Brook Universal Fighting Board installed, and doing the 1K mode to enable Wii U compatibility (for emulating the Pokkén controller) works perfectly with the Switch. :D

Unfortunately, there was no Home button functionality on that pad, so Home doesn't do anything on the stick. I guess you still need to have a separate controller handy to get back to the main menu. Hopefully Brook will do another firmware update like when they added Wii U support.

Kinda trippy playing Mario Kart like a 4-button Neo Geo game, lol.

Come on, Nintendo clearly doesn't want the Switch to be anything but a Switch game running machine for now. Netflix would be there yesterday if they could.

I'm sure it will be a big thing when Nintendo announces media capabilities for the Switch (browser, Netflix, maybe music, etc).
Do you have a source for this info? I mean, it’s Netflix that would develop the app, not Nintendo, do you have a quote from Netflix saying Nintendo was blocking them? Do you have a quote from Nintendo clearly saying they didn’t want any non-gaming apps on the system? All I know of was where they were asked about a web browser (which *would* be a Nintendo-supplied part of the OS that would eat up developer resources), and they responded that they wanted to concentrate on making games for now.

The HDMI fix is great! Just tried it this morning. I have my Switch and Wii U hooked to the same "slot" on my receiver. The Switch is HDMI and the Wii U is Component, HDMI always takes priority. If I was playing something on the Wii U the Switch would cause the screen to blank out for a good minute or so. My fix was just removing the Switch from the dock while I was playing the Wii U. Now I don't have to do that!

Wiseblade

Is the Wii U pro controller now compatible with Switch?
No, but the Hori Wii U Pokkén pad now gets treated as a Wired Switch Pro Controller at an OS level. Finally having a usable D-pad for USFII is nice until I get a Switch arcade stick or a converter.

jts

...hate me...
Do you have a source for this info? I mean, it's Netflix that would develop the app, not Nintendo, do you have a quote from Netflix saying Nintendo was blocking them? Do you have a quote from Nintendo clearly saying they didn't want any non-gaming apps on the system? All I know of was where they were asked about a web browser (which *would* be a Nintendo-supplied part of the OS that would eat up developer resources), and they responded that they wanted to concentrate on making games for now.

The Switch isn't going to replace your iPad — it's a dedicated gaming machine to the point where it won't have many multimedia functions at launch, Nintendo's Kit Ellis told me. Don't plan to watch Netflix on the Switch, for instance.
http://www.businessinsider.com/nint...tered-zero-issues-doing-this-over-and-over-13

Will Switch support Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO Go, or any other streaming services?

All of our efforts have gone toward making the Nintendo Switch system an amazing dedicated video game platform, so it will not support any video-streaming services at launch. However, support for video-streaming services is being considered for a future update.
https://kotaku.com/nintendo-answers-and-avoids-our-switch-questions-1791402953?null

Or do you think there's a conspiracy for why there aren't any multimedia apps on a device with the adoption rate of the Nintendo Switch? 3rd party apps or not, Nintendo has full control over what's published on the platform, and right now they want people to buy and play games on it, especially Nintendo Switch games - this has been a rather clear message.

No doubt it will come though, when the moment justifies it. Just like Virtual Console / Nintendo classics.

Basically, they raised the maximum volume, and if you think it's too loud with headphones, you can set it back to the old scale in the options. If your system has parental controls, it's lowered by default and requires the parent to raise it to maximum. If you don't have them setup, it defaults to the new scale.

You just go to settings and check/uncheck higher headphone volume, that's it.

Cool, thanks for the responses.

BooJoh

With the news that the Pokken controller now works on the Switch, I suggest that everyone try their non-Xinput wired controllers with the Switch to see if anything else works.

It's possible that the Switch is now like the PS3 where any HID-type controller just works (but the button layout may not make sense).

Tested with my Mayflash Wii Classic Controller to PC Adapter and nothing.

Kudo

I tried the connection test on Switch and it is showing the following

Download speed: 1.1 Mps
Upload speed 900-odd kps

This is why it's docked, I'm no internet wiz but is that good or bad?

I'm actually getting good speeds on the Internet Test, full 3-signal strength and Switch automatically uses 5 Ghz now after the patch.
Most pleased with this, they also changed the sounds during the test.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
http://www.businessinsider.com/nint...tered-zero-issues-doing-this-over-and-over-13

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-answers-and-avoids-our-switch-questions-1791402953?null

Or do you think there's a conspiracy for why there aren't any multimedia apps on a device with the adoption rate of the Nintendo Switch? 3rd party apps or not, Nintendo has full control over what's published on the platform, and right now they want people to buy and play games on it, especially Nintendo Switch games - this has been a rather clear message.

No doubt it will come though, when the moment justifies it. Just like Virtual Console / Nintendo classics.
You didn't prove him wrong, really, Nintendo said focusing on games with a stock answer but that's not stopping Netflix etc. From Coming on the system, now its possible that they have communicated with nintendo to launch things like netflix, crunchyroll, the browser etc. All at once At a certain point, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo refused to give them devkits

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wish miiverse would come back... what a waste :( I wonder if that's because of the touch-screen's change in tech but even so you could still "draw" even if not as good...

At least give me a freaking browser, I hate needing my phone anyway when in bed with the Switch

Yep the universal brook fight board works on Switch in wiiu mode. Just played some street fighter. Will also be cool for Neo Geo KOF games etc. Ha!

Bluth54

How can they fix wifi with an update?

Wifi antennas can operate at different power levels. You can run a wifi antenna at lower power but it's not going to have the range of wireless devices running at full power.

I imagine Nintendo boosted the power level to the Switch's wireless antenna (possibly to the maximum level). Of course that means that using the Wifi will eat the battery faster.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Another testimony that the wifi was improved in this fw version: after running the update over tethered wifi, switch now sees the hotel wifi and uses it no prob. Snake Pass, here I come ; )

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Sounds more like taking responsibility for your action.

You knew what it offered, why buy it if you're not satisfied with the features.

Jelle

Very nice update. I appreciate the changelog as well.

The graphics options are interesting. Thinking about them, I'd kill for a global 'SMAA (powered by nVidia™)' switch.

Joei

I connected my hdmi last night and it stayed on direct tv, I want to cry, I'm so happy. It's been fixed.

Wifi antennas can operate at different power levels. You can run a wifi antenna at lower power but it's not going to have the range of wireless devices running at full power.

I imagine Nintendo boosted the power level to the Switch's wireless antenna (possibly to the maximum level). Of course that means that using the Wifi will eat the battery faster.

Ah yeah I thought of that too, makes sense.

ViolentP

Netflix support is completely unrelated to firmware, it would be an app that you download, not part of the system OS. You should ask Netflix why they haven't written a Switch app yet, that's mostly unrelated to Nintendo except for access to dev kits.

Not if the current state of the OS blocks connections outside the Nintendo network. That would require a firmware update. That and a number of other possible scenarios would.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Got two crashs since this update, had only two before, since launch.

First it crashed while putting it to sleep on the dock (Zelda was running), it showed a crash message on the TV and the screen at the same time.

And later it crashed when I wanted to quit ARMS, UI was unresponsive, only the 3 sec power button press would get the shutdown UI, but it did nothing, I had to press power for 12 sec to restart it.

You say this like customers shouldn't be blamed when they complain about something they bought not having the features they want. When you can easily research what is included in a product you don't get to play the victim when you buy it anyway.

Poppyseed

Anyone notice this? Prior to Firmware 3.0, if my Switch was in sleep mode, and I bought a digital title via Nintendo's web site at my computer, I'd have to wake up the Switch for it to start to download the title.

However, after updating to Firmware 3.0, I bought Cave Story last night at my computer, and an hour later when I picked up my Switch and powered it on from sleep mode, the game was already downloaded.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Anyone notice this? Prior to Firmware 3.0, if my Switch was in sleep mode, and I bought a digital title via Nintendo's web site at my computer, I'd have to wake up the Switch for it to start to download the title.

However, after updating to Firmware 3.0, I bought Cave Story last night at my computer, and an hour later when I picked up my Switch and powered it on from sleep mode, the game was already downloaded.

Before 3.0 it already worked, at least with demos, got one from the website while at work, and it was installed when I went back home.

Two things I immediately noticed today:

1) The Switch wakes up faster from sleep mode, definitely snappier in most instances.
2) The video player/web applet video player in the News channel no longer displays undersaturated colours. That Mario Odyssey trailer looks even better now on the Switch's screen.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Before 3.0 it already worked, at least with demos, got one from the website while at work, and it was installed when I went back home.

The WiiU worked the same way, you could.buy on the site and it would download to the console even in the powered off red light state.

The real.game changer is the headphone volume being increased. I want to play everything in headphones now! The WiiU gamepad and 3ds were soooo quiet even at max.

KingBroly

Banned
The WiiU worked the same way, you could.buy on the site and it would download to the console even in the powered off red light state.

The real.game changer is the headphone volume being increased. I want to play everything in headphones now! The WiiU gamepad and 3ds were soooo quiet even at max.

what site?

BizzyBum

What exactly does changing the pro controller to be wired do? I always had it plugged in via USB when docked to play.

Top Bottom