• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: new Firmware update available (Ver. 3.0.0)

Pokemaniac

An update that introduces neither of netflix, browse, youtube, virtual console or pokemon stars :/

Guy on a greek forum also said he now has 3 full bars on wi fi signal!

Literally none of the things on that list aside from the browser would come in a system update.

NolbertoS

Nintendo releases a big update, GAF complains worse about this or that. Nintendo is damned of they wanna improve there UI or damned if they don't do anything. Nintendo can't please sadly even though they try

I feel stupid for even asking this:

After turning on the Wired function for the Pro Controller for undocked play, where do I connect the charging cable? Do I connect it to another device as normal? I always assumed that I'd need to connect it to the Switch itself.

I feel stupid for even asking this:

After turning on the Wired function for the Pro Controller for undocked play, where do I connect the charging cable? Do I connect it to another device as normal? I always assumed that I'd need to connect it to the Switch itself.
You plug it into the dock. You cannot use wired USB devices plugged into the Switch directly, they only work docked.

Shahadan

Need an update that makes the eshop not horrible. How is there not a browse all feature?

There is one, the "view all" option at the bottom of recent releases. You can see everything there.
It has been added without the need for an update as usual since the shop is something they can modify separately

He can, but he'll need an adapter.
Ah, I hadn’t read the post in this thread where someone tested that and found that it worked, since Nintendo never said it would be possible, and they previously disabled support of other devices through USB C. That’s cool that Nintendo allows it now.

Mihos

Gold Member
Improvements to prevent unintended HDMI input change with certain TVs while the console is docked in Sleep Mode

Only thing I wanted

jts

...hate me...
That sounds promising. What adapter do I need?
Actually, you technically don't need an adapter, but you'll need at the very least a USB-C to USB-C cable. That one will plug your Pro Controller straight to your Switch.

If you want to keep using your USB-A to USB-C cable that comes with the Pro Controller you will need this adapter.

If you want to plug the controller and also charge the console, then this adapter *should* work. Note: the HDMI-out will not work.

JaseMath

Tested this for you and on my end, the ticks were consistent and during every number. I tried this via adding a friend code both with touch and button input. Don't know what it sounded like beforehand, though.

Thanks! Good to hear. :)

Actually, you technically don't need an adapter, but you'll need at the very least a USB-C to USB-C cable. That one will plug your Pro Controller straight to your Switch.

Thanks - that does make sense.

Regarding the cable in question, can anybody recommend a good quality USB-C to USB-C cable?

Pokemaniac

You plug it into the dock. You cannot use wired USB devices plugged into the Switch directly, they only work docked.

Anything that can be plugged into the dock (outside of HDMI) can also be plugged directly into the Switch so long as you have the correct cables/adapters.

Okay? I just think that if version numbers don't mean anything at all, why even use them? Why jump to 3.0 for seemingly no reason?
They “jumped” to 3.0 because it was an update which added new features and a lot of quality of life fixes. It’s the biggest update Nintendo has released since 2.0. All the small 2.X updates were so small Nintendo didn’t even list the changes, those were just bugfix releases.

Coffinhal

The Wifi now works behind walls!! Pretty slow but that's not bad.

Now, can I disable the ads that fill 1/4 of my screen ?? Calling it "news" does not make it acceptable.

Pineconn

Okay? I just think that if version numbers don't mean anything at all, why even use them? Why jump to 3.0 for seemingly no reason?

At least Nintendo isn't Facebook. On iOS, Facebook is version 97.0 and Messenger is version 122.0. They do a major rev with every bi-weekly update. It's stupid.

(I'm sure they do it to flush all the bad reviews.)

ZeroGravity

Improvements to prevent unintended HDMI input change with certain TVs while the console is docked in Sleep Mode
Unfortunately this issue still persists for me when using my HDMI switcher. Not sure about everyone else. I'm almost resigned to having to leave my Switch undocked for the entire generation because this is so fucking annoying.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So that you can give tech support an easy-to-recall number next time they ask you what your fw rev is.

me0wish

I'll confirm this when I get home. I could never ever connect while in my room, so I've only played online in portable mode elsewhere. Same exact spot the Wiiu used to be sitting and I had zero problems then.

Great, hope it improves for you as well!

You are not alone my brother.

Edit - ohhhhh, you can specify now what is on and off in airplane mode! How did i miss that in the patch notes!
Oh really? Nice! It was annoying having Bluetooth get kicked off when I switched to airplane on my cross-country flight.

Nintendo bumps a major number pretty much anytime a feature is added. In terms of feature quantity, this is actually perhaps the biggest update they've dropped that I can remember. I don't get the 'unnecessary' posts.
ohhhhh, you can specify now what is on and off in airplane mode! How did i miss that in the patch notes!
This was always a there. Did they add it to the quick options menu?

Nico_D

Not anything new but now that I remember to ask. Does anyone else have a serious problem with news/eshop trailers buffering all the time? And especially Nintendo's own trailers - third party trailers work perfectly fine.

I'm on LAN, btw. No other problems with the connection, just this curious one. Any idea why?

Not anything new but now that I remember to ask. Does anyone else have a serious problem with news/eshop trailers buffering all the time? And especially Nintendo's own trailers - third party trailers work perfectly fine.

I'm on LAN, btw. No other problems with the connection, just this curious one. Any idea why?
That sounds like a problem with their servers. Is the issue always present?

Top Bottom