• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: new Firmware update available (Ver. 3.0.0)

Glix

This was always a there. Did they add it to the quick options menu?

I don't think it was there from launch, but I will accept it may have been in a previous update. Or maybe I just never turned it on/off from the settings page and never noticed.

No, its not in the quick menu :(

Unfortunately this issue still persists for me when using my HDMI switcher. Not sure about everyone else. I'm almost resigned to having to leave my Switch undocked for the entire generation because this is so fucking annoying.

not happening with my switch, what one are you using?

Nico_D

That sounds like a problem with their servers. Is the issue always present?

Yes it is. But If anyone else doesn't have the problem, then it can't be servers. But it can't be connection either since third party trailers work fine.

--- while writing it occurred me to test it further. I have a japanese account and all the japanese trailers etc. work fine, no buffering, no stuttering. All the english ones are shit.

So maybe it is servers. Nintendo Europe?

bomblord1

Banned
Is the option to display the battery as a percentage on the home menu new? Because it's not in the patch notes and I don't remember that being there before.

I'm shocked there isn't more outcry at the character limit for nicknames. I have to use my first name because my username is too long. It only gives you like 10 characters or something. Ridiculous.

Definitely a "Quality of Life" update more than anything.

There are some cool features that I never would have expected them to include, but they're all just small improvements.

I like that Nintendo is handling their OS functionality completely differently from Wii U and 3DS where you could only change the most incredibly basic settings. Now, they're giving us quite a bit more control over the small nuances of the user experience.

ITSMILNER

Wifi signal still crap for me, worse when docked, whenever I try to watch the videos on the news screen they just keep stuttering.

jts

...hate me...
Wifi signal still crap for me, worse when docked, whenever I try to watch the videos on the news screen they just keep stuttering.

That's just their crappy video network. They also stutter for me even on ethernet, and eShop videos did that on Wii U too.

Wahooooo! 2hrs post update & no more random HDMI switching.

I can confirm this as well, with my daughters TV. She's got some mediocre 1080p in her room (She's 8 years old), but we kept having an issue of the switch messing with the inputs. Last night after the update, no issues whatsoever.

She can now have cable tv on in her room without the inputs jumping back and forth.

arimanius

Did this fix the Switch from randomly taking screenshots? Hoping it was a hidden fix.

I hope the improved wifi some people are reporting isn't a placebo effect.

How exactly does the new volume thing work? Don't have a Switch yet, and it sounds pretty sweet, but I would like to some good details on it.

I don't think it was there from launch, but I will accept it may have been in a previous update. Or maybe I just never turned it on/off from the settings page and never noticed.

No, its not in the quick menu :(
I can't say for sure it shipped with the options, but I think it was there by the day one update. I'm certain it's been there for months.

EDIT:
How exactly does the new volume thing work? Don't have a Switch yet, and it sounds pretty sweet, but I would like to some good details on it.
Basically, they raised the maximum volume, and if you think it's too loud with headphones, you can set it back to the old scale in the options. If your system has parental controls, it's lowered by default and requires the parent to raise it to maximum. If you don't have them setup, it defaults to the new scale.

jts

...hate me...
Ahh ok, thought it was my connection, will have to give it a proper try later.

Weird, I never have problem like that. Maybe there is a port forwarding or some kind of router setting that could help?
I mean it could well not be that, but, to me, stuttering videos from Nintendo, regardless of my connection quality, is definitely a thing. Maybe it's regional and related to how Nintendo propagates their videos through regional servers/mirrors.

In any case there's a network test in the settings that also says how are the DL/UL speeds.

OmegaX

Unfortunately this issue still persists for me when using my HDMI switcher. Not sure about everyone else. I'm almost resigned to having to leave my Switch undocked for the entire generation because this is so fucking annoying.

Doesn't happen on mine. I tested for one hour having the Switch docked while watching TV and the signal stayed on the cable box input.
The biggest test was checking it this morning after having the Switch in the dock all night. Before this update, the HDMI switcher would switch signals during the night even when the TV was off so turning on the TV would show a blank screen instead of the TV signal.

Is this fixed, mine is all over the place in reporting percentages back and is just happening more and more it is super annoying. Ever since buying an additional set of joycons.

Turrican3

Surround sound broken confirmed. LFE channel and rear right have swapped places.
Actually I'm not sure rear right channel plays at all, but LFE channel definitely plays from rear right speaker now.
That's not good to hear (no pun intended)

How did you check this, by the way?

antibolo

Banned
With the news that the Pokken controller now works on the Switch, I suggest that everyone try their non-Xinput wired controllers with the Switch to see if anything else works.

It's possible that the Switch is now like the PS3 where any HID-type controller just works (but the button layout may not make sense).

raschi

That's not good to hear (no pun intended)

How did you check this, by the way?

You can test each channel when switching to surround. I haven't had a chance to test in a game yet, so maybe it's just the test that's broken but I doubt it. Maybe someone else can confirm broken surround in games too?

ITSMILNER

I tried the connection test on Switch and it is showing the following

Download speed: 1.1 Mps
Upload speed 900-odd kps

This is why it's docked, I'm no internet wiz but is that good or bad?

Top Bottom