• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: new Firmware update available (Ver. 3.0.0)

Lucifon

Please say those Wifi improvements are true. I got 2 bars even a few unblocked metres from the router when all my other devices have zero problems whatsoever. That along with the HDMI switching issue being solved would be huge for me - great update if true!!

Get the bugs fixed and out the way then focus on giving us new features :)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Another pair of fingers crossed for a wifi signal improvement here.

Salmon

Did you turn off auto brightness?

I play at night sometimes from my bed while the wife goes to sleep.

Itll get darker if you turn off auto brightness even if you turn it all the way down with auto on.

Yeah I did, and it still suffers from that blue tint that's burning my eyes. I'm used to F.lux and equal stuff, so I can't really stand playing the Switch in a dark enviroment.

Entitlement is wanting basic features you come to expect in a mobile device you paid $300+ for? Okay.

You can't even set a background image on this device. I could do that on a Nokia phone from a decade ago. The lack of basic features on the Switch is mind boggling.
I prefer a fast functional and clean os then one with issues like disappearing wallpapers, menu crashes and laggy browsing like some other consoles in their launch period

Lutherian

That's what they call 3.0? Besides the News thing there's basically no new features here, just some minor improvements. Disappointing. I mean, not a bad update as such, but a full version number increase makes you expect a bit more

First World Problem : The Thread.

Major version number updates mandate real changes. This changelog reads like a bug fix release.
Speaking as a game developer, version numbers mandate diddly squat. There is no standard for versions, not even guidelines. Every single company treats version numbers different, and many, even big ones, change how they do their numbering at some point - for example, Mac OS climbed steadily to 9.2.2, then got stuck at 10.x.x for the next 16 years (so far). nVidia releases a new driver roughly every month, those drivers are mostly bug fixes and optimizations, their version number jumps up by 3 on average no matter whether it’s a small change or major features added.

So let’s look at Nintendo. Version 2.0.0 on launch day, added features that Nintendo considered important enough to list. Versions 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, those were bugfix releases that did nothing of note (“General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience”). Version 3.0 added a number of features that Nintendo considered important enough to list. So Nintendo advances the first number when they add features they consider worth listing. In this case, they enabled the USB ports, added a bunch of quality-of-life features, and fixed some of the largest issues that people complain about - for Switch, this *is* a major release.

Tried to test a few other controllers since the Pokken pad works now.

PS4 fightstick doesn't work in any mode (PS3/PS4/PC)

Gamecube controller connected via Wii U adapter also doesn't work.

Bummer.

J@hranimo

Banned
So uh...y'all should stop the petty banter maybe?

To add to the wifi signal: I went to my living room area and it is showing a more consistent signal compared to the one or no signal bar before. Not sure if it's improved or it's showing a more accurate reading of your connection and it's still shit. Only one way to find out!

but first sleep

Ecto311

So cheapassgamer posted that the pokken controller is on sale at gamestop, the thread claims it works on the switch now with the update. Does that also include the pro controller for the wiiu if wired? I would love to use my wii and wiiu controllers and fightpad on this if possible.

That's what they call 3.0? Besides the News thing there's basically no new features here, just some minor improvements. Disappointing. I mean, not a bad update as such, but a full version number increase makes you expect a bit more

Major version number updates mandate real changes. This changelog reads like a bug fix release.
This has to be the most insignificant thing to complain about.

Lutherian

What a nonsense answer.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was the "Discuss world hunger" thread.

It's complete irony. A meme.

Example :
168.jpg

Nesther

We did get a few new features: controller radar system, friend finder, controller updater, news categories, color inverter. And then all the bug fixes.

What games will you play?

Is there really a problem with LAN play on the Switch and 8 players? I remember playing Mario Kart DS LAN play with 8 people back in 2006, and it was glorious.

I tried it with 3 switches and got nothing but disconnects. It was awful.

random25

So cheapassgamer posted that the pokken controller is on sale at gamestop, the thread claims it works on the switch now with the update. Does that also include the pro controller for the wiiu if wired? I would love to use my wii and wiiu controllers and fightpad on this if possible.

Wii U Pro wired does not work unfortunately.

blu

So can we use this excuse next time someone complains about microtransactions?
When forced, microtransactions are evil. What is being forced on customers here?

dannie

Someone have tested the local play of Mario kart 8DX, he say no more disconnect in local play in firmware 3.0.0

jts

...hate me...
We did get a few new features: controller radar system, friend finder, controller updater, news categories, color inverter. And then all the bug fixes.
And wired keyboard support, wired Pro Controller support, volume control features, etc.

About 10 new features and couple of bug fixes.

"it's just bug fixes" haha

ramparter

Banned
When forced, microtransactions are evil. What is being forced on customers here?

An update that introduces neither of netflix, browse, youtube, virtual console or pokemon stars :/

Someone have test the local play of Mario kart 8DX, he say no more disconnect in local play in firmware 3.0.0
Guy on a greek forum also said he now has 3 full bars on wi fi signal!

hank_tree

Are the volume controls just to lower the max volume? Has there been an increase in max headphone volume at all?

It's too quiet for me when I'm on the train etc. currently.

NeonBlack

It's a first world problem, you're complaining about digital purchases while there's real problem in the world.

Do I think microtransations are bad, yes. Do I think "first world problems" should be used when someone states an opinion on a gaming site, which is nothing but first world, no.

mazillion

Yeah I did, and it still suffers from that blue tint that's burning my eyes. I'm used to F.lux and equal stuff, so I can't really stand playing the Switch in a dark enviroment.

I know the feeling. I recently started using F.lux on my phone and PC and now playing the Switch in the dark feels like staring into the sun by comparison.

Yeah, at night the white level is too cool, I hope Nintendo adds a feature to enable warmer white points after a certain time. Neither Sony nor Microsoft do this either (MS has it on Windows 10 though so it might come to Xbox).

I was about to tear apart my pullout couch because I thought I lost a joycon in it a week ago. Thanks to this update, I found it! It wasn't even in the couch... Thanks Nintendo!

blu

It's a first world problem, you're complaining about digital purchases while there's real problem in the world.

Do I think microtransations are bad, yes. Do I think "first world problems" should be used when someone states an opinion on a gaming site, which is nothing but first world, no.
An opinion of 'I think version x.y should have warranted greater amount of features' is the very definition of whining on a message board for the sake of whining, and that in itself is a textbook example of a first-world problem. But of course that's just my opinion. /shrug

Downloaded this last night and I'm pleasantly surprised with some of the improvements! New avatar options are nice and the friends list thing looks great. At this point they just need to add Facebook/Twitter options and I think we'd be set there.

I'm sure some will be relieved to see the bit about the input Switching glitch. Looks like both Samsung and Nintendo stepped up on that one. Curious to see if it solved that issue 100% for those that were having it.

Finally, anyone have an idea about what the "controller update" option will be for? Can't say that I remember Nintendo ever having that option on one of their consoles but my Xbox/PS4 do. Maybe they'll enable that light ring on the JoyCon/Pro Controller soon?

Tiberius

It's really good the switch and hdmi bug was resolved, now they need to beef up the interface

Is there someone who know how to disable the interface sounds ?

Didn't test it, but apparently the max volume with headphones is improved? this is the first time the volume is increased in a Nintendo device right? which is awesome

VOEZ will be so much better with this :D!

Ducktail

Wifi signal is drastically improved, I hope they fixed local play because it was so terrible that it was unplayable, it is my main problem with the switch right now.

I'll confirm this when I get home. I could never ever connect while in my room, so I've only played online in portable mode elsewhere. Same exact spot the Wiiu used to be sitting and I had zero problems then.

Logash

ONE HOUR IN STANDBY AND NO HDMI HIJACK I AM SO HAPPY.

Played my PS4 for a couple of hours yesterday and Switch didn't hijack it at all. The fact this update makes my Switch a viable game console on my TV again makes it all worth it. Before this I had to plug my Switch into HDMI every time I wanted to play it which made me not want to play in on my TV at all.

Galava

One thing is for sure, I stopped having connection problems after the update. Now I can play online without worries from my room.

Glix

I was going to say something but I was nervous it was just placebo affect. I am getting an extra bar on the wifi consistently. I just don't know if they have changed how it displays, or if they actually fixed the signal issue.

ViolentP

I was going to say something but I was nervous it was just placebo affect. I am getting an extra bar on the wifi consistently. I just don't know if they have changed how it displays, or if they actually fixed the signal issue.

I'm thinking display myself.

BiggNife

I'm not really sure why people think Netflix support would come in a firmware update? It doesn't work that way. When Netflix comes out on Switch it'll be an app you download from the eshop, not built into the firmware. And that would be a big enough deal that Nintendo would probably announce it in a Nintendo Direct first instead of folding it into a a firmware update that just adds a bunch of minor (but significant) QoL improvements.

Also I didn't know support for the Pokken controller was already in, that's cool. I'll have to try that with Puyotris tonight.

ViolentP

I'm not really sure why people think Netflix support would come in a firmware update? It doesn't work that way. When Netflix comes out on Switch it'll be an app you download from the eshop, not built into the firmware. And that would be a big enough deal that Nintendo would probably announce it in a Nintendo Direct first instead of folding it into a a firmware update that just adds a bunch of minor (but significant) QoL improvements.

Also I didn't know support for the Pokken controller was already in, that's cool. I'll have to try that with Puyotris tonight.

Unless there is currently an OS level restriction prohibiting streaming of services outside of Nintendo in which a firmware update would be required for a Netflix app. There are also potentially hundreds of reasons why the functionality would need to come with an update. It's all dependent of the design.

Top Bottom