• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: new Firmware update available (Ver. 3.0.0)

-shadow-

The Wii U got hacked through backing up your game saves to external physical storage. Expect Nintendo to be extremely cautious of having this option with the Switch.
WiiU or Wii? Because I'm pretty sure the WiiU was blown right open by the browser using a WebKit exploit.

Ughh... Contacting the support then :)
I remember reading here on GAF that someone contacted Nintendo with this question and it was possible, but it would remove all purchases from the account. Not sure if that'd still be the case, but might not be that successful.

Why not change your Nintendo Account, import the people you want, and change it back?

ryanofcall

I remember reading here on GAF that someone contacted Nintendo with this question and it was possible, but it would remove all purchases from the account. Not sure if that'd still be the case, but might not be that successful.

Why not change your Nintendo Account, import the people you want, and change it back?

Yeah did that now, but contacted them anyway. It's not like all my 3DS / Wii U friends have a Switch already ;)

RedShift

Wired pro controller is big for fighting games, they usually don't allow wireless ones in tournaments. Hopefully whatever smash comes out will allow GC controllers, but if not this is a good substitute.

wyk126

Neo Member
The + and - icon is now with a circle too at the bottom in the menu, the same as the build they shown in the E3

me0wish

Can you test the local play after the 3.0 update??
Gonna have a 8 Switch LAN party after tomorrow, will let you know how it goes, typically we just connect to the wifi due to how bad the local play is.

I always have 1 bar when I'm on bed, I'm having 3 bars now. Sounds too good to be true but it is!

Wired pro controller is big for fighting games, they usually don't allow wireless ones in tournaments. Hopefully whatever smash comes out will allow GC controllers, but if not this is a good substitute.

They need to fix that terrible dpad if they want the pro controller to be viable.

Ninja Dom

Gonna have a 8 Switch LAN party after tomorrow, will let you know how it goes, typically we just connect to the wifi due to how bad the local play is.

What games will you play?

Is there really a problem with LAN play on the Switch and 8 players? I remember playing Mario Kart DS LAN play with 8 people back in 2006, and it was glorious.

Did they add western AAA game support yet?

heart-attack.jpg

Subaru

I moved from Switzerland to UK, so I changed the country my MyNintendo account - which unlinked it from the NNID. Now I can't add my friends from my NNID because the NNID is still "Switzerland" and not UK, so it wont let me link it.

Is there any way to change the NNID's country settings?

Greetings
Ryan

Change to your previous country, link the NNID, add your friends and change back to your current country. ;-)

Nesther

Detecting controllers by vibrating is such a cool function. Tried it out and it worked with all 4 joycons and Pro controller. It saves up 10 controllers.
Great tool for when people come over and you're scrambling for controllers all over the place.

-shadow-

Unfortunately not. This should mean it's theoretically possible for a driver to be written, though.

You can already use the controller on a PC over bluetooth, btw.
My PC doesn't have a Bluetooth receiver and my laptop and connect with it properly. The connection constantly drops for a few moments during games. Hence why a wired solution would be ideal. Here's hoping someone writes a driver.

me0wish

What games will you play?

Is there really a problem with LAN play on the Switch and 8 players? I remember playing Mario Kart DS LAN play with 8 people back in 2006, and it was glorious.

Mario Kart 8 and Arms. Mario Kart 8 was literally unplayable on LAN, with 4 Switches we get regular disconnects, worked perfectly fine on online.

12 local friends playing Mario Kart locally is one of the most fun experiences I've ever had, I have friends that haven't owned a Nintendo system that are getting Switch, I am extremely happy with what Nintendo is achieving here.

Salmon

I just wished they could let me dim the screen even more. It's WAY too bright playing at night. Or at least let me have a night mode that kills the blue tint of the screen.

Shahadan

The search for controller function made me realize one of my yellow joycon vibrates way less than its counterpart. Weird, especially since the grey ones seem to be about the same intensity

Forkball

Wifi is definitely better. I can actually CONNECT TO THE INTERNET and also PLAY GAMES from the couch without a wired connection.

Adding friends via 3DS and Wii U is also great, I sent a request to everyone who wasn't already on my list. Hopefully we see some more big updates throughout the year.

My PC doesn't have a Bluetooth receiver and my laptop and connect with it properly. The connection constantly drops for a few moments during games. Hence why a wired solution would be ideal. Here's hoping someone writes a driver.
Yeah, I hear you. I have my own unique reasons for desiring a wired connection. I might try my hand at it myself, though I've never made something as complex as a driver before. We'll see ;)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's what they call 3.0? Besides the News thing there's basically no new features here, just some minor improvements. Disappointing. I mean, not a bad update as such, but a full version number increase makes you expect a bit more

N.Grim

That's what they call 3.0? Besides the News thing there's basically no new features here, just some minor improvements. Disappointing. I mean, not a bad update as such, but a full version number increase makes you expect a bit more
Lol who cares about how they call it?

Jarsonot

Maybe there are significant changes under the hood, who knows. I just hope we don't run out of numbers before they're satisfied with the firmware.

Jofamo

Major version number updates mandate real changes. This changelog reads like a bug fix release.

There's a whole bunch of *new* features in there.

This isn't Apple, where they release a new major 1.0 update every summer. It's been three months since the console launched.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I just wished they could let me dim the screen even more. It's WAY too bright playing at night. Or at least let me have a night mode that kills the blue tint of the screen.

Did you turn off auto brightness?

I play at night sometimes from my bed while the wife goes to sleep.

Itll get darker if you turn off auto brightness even if you turn it all the way down with auto on.

-shadow-

I just noticed the controller update function. Curious when they'll update them, I assume around the big summer update with the online stuff that they'll turn of the LED notification in the Home button, but we'll see.

Yeah, I hear you. I have my own unique reasons for desiring a wired connection. I might try my hand at it myself, though I've never made something as complex as a driver before. We'll see ;)
That'd be great, if you need some help send me a message. I have some basic programming know, so maybe I can help with it! ^^

It's mostly heresy but I've gotten a full signal bar since the update.

It's never gotten passed 2 bars since I've owned the Switch.

The wifi thing is weird because mine has been basically flawless all throughout my house since launch. Glad they're fixing it for others with firmware (somehow?).

Also I like your hearsay typo. Burn the wifi heretic!

krumble

Added all my 3DS & Wii U friends

Was surprised how many of my Wii U friends had already jumped on the Switch - and everyone is accepting pretty quick :)

Top Bottom