• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Switch shortages are “definitely not intentional”

SpecX

Nintendo needs a complete overhaul of their supply and demand teams. This is the 3rd or 4th botched launch where they haven't planned the post launch months correctly for having the right volumes. My leadership at work would have fired me and the department if we tripped out the gates every new product launch with huge overs and unders like this each launch cycle.

I will give them credit that it is improving, but you can't beat the same drum everytime and expect people to eat up the bullshit. Fortunately for them the gaming market is more forgetful and forgiving, but other markets would have resulted in Nintendo losing consumer confidence and massive market share, stockholders would have demanded change, and Nintendo would have probably been acquired or merged with another company.

D.Lo

Nintendo held back SMB3 to build demand
That's a fact
Don't believe their lies
That was holding back a release date to build hype, not stock.

I guess in that case Sega and Sony 'hold back' the Dreamcast and PS2 non-Japanese releases almost a year because of 'fake shortages' too?

Nintendo needs a complete overhaul of their supply and demand teams. This is the 3rd or 4th botched launch where they haven't planned the post launch months correctly for having the right volumes. My leadership at work would have fired me and the department if we tripped out the gates every new product launch with huge overs and unders like this each launch cycle.

I will give them credit that it is improving, but you can't beat the same drum everytime and expect people to eat up the bullshit. Fortunately for them the gaming market is more forgetful and forgiving, but other markets would have resulted in Nintendo losing consumer confidence and massive market share, stockholders would have demanded change, and Nintendo would have probably been acquired or merged with another company.
Nintendo doesn't just fuck up hardware lunches. Don't forget they also greatly underestimated demand for Amiibos and [insert any Nintendo franchise here]'s special edition. Even when they did take preorders like with FE Echoes Limited Edition they ended up canceling preorders because they didn't make enough of them! Pathetic.

llien

I chuckle when people mention Apple in the context.
The only reason to mention it is, perhaps, more popular title.

Why would anyone think they're intentional? Nintendo wants to sell as many Switch consoles as they can get onto store shelves.

Theory goes that artificial scarcity can eventually increase demand.

I don't think anyone was able to substantiate that this was indeed possible (let alone the "did Nintendo ever do that" part).

Regardless, as with all theories of this type, Nintendo's message is in line with it, as they would definitely not admit it... :))))

Top Bottom