• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: The last saving grace of Physical Media?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I am old school and do not care for digital games. I do own many of course from free giveaway, cheap deals, etc. On the Sony or Microsoft fronts the physical media is a joke and kinda worthless. I still have to to download additional data in most cases so it is still relying on Sony Servers. SO say the serves go down or worse my game is no longer supported, I lose access to it. Also Many games on the Sony or Microsoft platform have the online connection requirement built in as well.

The PC physical market is even worse. Steam or any other digital platform dominates the whole market.

The Switch on the other hand is an enigma. Because of it's nature, games have all the data required to play, on the cart. Sure there are sometimes software updates but never required to download. My point being, 25 years down the road and Nintendo is long gone in worst case scenario, I will be able to put a switch cartridge in a Switch and play it. There is no reliance on outside servers unlike the other platforms. For this very reason, for the first time in my life I am collecting something. I started collecting all the major switch Physical games I want (around 30 and counting). I believe due to the physical media dying off it is also a good investment and I enjoy them. Win/win.

The Switch (luckily very successful) is like the last HOORAH for physical media. PC it's dead, Mobile no way, PS5/X1 have phycial releases but many games rely on an internet connection so that's not forever support, The Switch is it baby.

Dr.Morris79

Bioshock the collection, Batman Arkham trilogy, and many many more require additional downloads (not updates).
Yes, but apart from the obvious 'download only' titles, the Switch and PS5 offer the best for physical game preservation. Which is the point of the topic.

Dr.Morris79

Yes, but apart from the obvious 'download only' titles, the Switch and PS5 offer the best for physical game preservation. Which is the point of the topic.
Although...

I can't honestly remember if the PS5 needed an initial setup from the internet out of the box. If that was the case (Like the Xbox's), then it pretty much stuffs the idea of PS5 physical preservation as in time any new console won't be able to handshake the server

Thinking about it, is the Switch the same?

It's been so long since I set them up I honestly can't remember

No, not really. There's quite a few big 3rd party releases on Switch that DO require download on SD or internal memory in order to play.

Indie releases and especially Nintendo 1st party games are usually complete on cart though and do not require additional installation on the internal memory/SD.

Really curious to see how Nintendo will handle this with the Switch 2 considering they would want to attract big 3rd party releases for this new system.

Oh and certain 3rd party publishers are also doing 'physical releases' like these 🙄

5hcFbgs.png

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
PS5 games for the most part are fine. Xbox is the issue.

Unless I'm reading the website incorrectly, it includes a pretty limited Xbox spread; 20 Xbox Series X vs 308 PS5 games, 36 Xbone vs 980 PS4 games, etc. Seems like it's pretty incomplete?

I am old school and do not care for digital games. I do own many of course from free giveaway, cheap deals, etc. On the Sony or Microsoft fronts the physical media is a joke and kinda worthless. I still have to to download additional data in most cases so it is still relying on Sony Servers. SO say the serves go down or worse my game is no longer supported, I lose access to it. Also Many games on the Sony or Microsoft platform have the online connection requirement built in as well.
Dunno where you've got this idea that most physical games on Sony's current system require mandatory downloads in order to play. I have over 120 physical games for PS5 in my collection, and maybe around 15 of them require mandatory download and/or an always online connection (e.g. Hogwarts Legacy, SW Jedi Survivor and some MP games like COD, BF2042, Helldivers 2, Diablo 4, etc.).

So let's say out of 120 games, 20 require either a mandatory download or an always-online connection. That still leaves me with 100 games that play fine, maybe with some minor bugs here and there, from start to finish without the need to download anything from Sony servers. And of course, they also work 100% offline.

Also, there are clear markings on the box for PS5 games to indicate if a game requires an always-online connection to play (same with required download), so you can easily avoid them if that's what you prefer.

81EnbfgdkCL._SL1500_.jpg

IRMan60.png

Last edited:

magnumpy

Nintendo does seem to be really old school with its software being physical "cartridge based" more so than Sony or especially Microsoft.

it's true that America has pretty much gone mostly digital distribution, while in Japan they still put a much greater value on physical media. and Nintendo is a very Japanese company.

as I understand it, most of the world has gone ~70% digital, while in Japan they are ~70% physical. feel free to quote some more specific numbers, but AFAIK this is generally true :goog_geek:

Last edited:

Fabieter

Yes sony will eventually get there and than they will wonder why they are selling like Xbox is now with all their bad decisions.

TidusYuna

Although...

I can't honestly remember if the PS5 needed an initial setup from the internet out of the box. If that was the case (Like the Xbox's), then it pretty much stuffs the idea of PS5 physical preservation as in time any new console won't be able to handshake the server

The PS5 works right out of the box, no internet required.

Puscifer

Although...

It does now with the slim model. If you want to preserve anything get the fat while you can, I'm surprised how many are still on shelves new.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
With retailers eliminating videogames from their store shelves, the writing is on the wall - even for Nintendo.

Switch 2 will likely be the last Nintendo console with physical media. I wouldn’t be surprised if the inevitable Switch 2 refresh loses the cartridge slot.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

For the ps5:

>Suicide Squad,
>The Crew
>The Crew 2
>The Crew Motorfest
>MW1 (PS5)
>MW2 (PS5)
>MW3 (PS5) (these 3 only account for the ps4 version)
>Helldivers 2
>Skull and Bones
>Diablo 4 (ps5)
>Payday 3
>Exoprimal (ps5)

Those are just the ones i can think of, just searching around there's still stuff like Aliens: Fireteam Elite i haven't even heard about.
There's also cases like Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition where the full game is on disc with patches but the DLC is a download code (not on the site either, only the Series X version).

Last edited:

BlackTron

Although...

The PS5 works right out of the box, no internet required.

The new version of the PS5 with a detachable disk drive requires an internet connection to register the drive to the PS5. This is true I believe even if the drive is included in the box. So even if the PS5 "works" out of the box, it's still essentially useless for either digital or physical games without Sony's server.

edit: beat me by seconds

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The new version of the PS5 with a detachable disk drive requires an internet connection to register the drive to the PS5. This is true I believe even if the drive is included in the box. So even if the PS5 "works" out of the box, it's still essentially useless for either digital or physical games without Sony's server.

edit: beat me by seconds
I bought a slim with a disc drive when Sony dropped the price of the bundles to $449 after the holidays and I definitely had to connect to the internet during setup to register the disc drive. It didn't seem to need to be online after that but it did have to connect once.

Larivel

For the ps5:

>Suicide Squad,
>The Crew
>The Crew 2
>The Crew Motorfest
>MW1 (PS5)
>MW2 (PS5)
>MW3 (PS5) (these 3 only account for the ps4 version)
>Helldivers 2
>Skull and Bones
>Diablo 4 (ps5)
>Payday 3
>Exoprimal (ps5)

Those are just the ones i can think of, just searching around there's still stuff like Aliens: Fireteam Elite i haven't even heard about.
There's also cases like Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition where the full game is on disc with patches but the DLC is a download code (not on the site either, only the Series X version).
Why would they need to check those games, when all of them are live-service (except CoD) and have a marking on the physical copy indicating that internet is required to play? PS5 version of CP2077 Ultimate Edition also has a marking on the box that dlc comes as a code.
You are nitpicking here, the website definitely is not "terrible", they are updating it with new games almost everyday and I think checking copies of those kind of games is a waste of time.

Guilty_AI

Why would they need to check those games, when all of them are live-service (except CoD) and have a marking on the physical copy indicating that internet is required to play? PS5 version of CP2077 Ultimate Edition also has a marking on the box that dlc comes as a code.
Exactly, they don't, thus skewing those percentages that people keep trying to use as "proof".

You are nitpicking here, the website definitely is not "terrible", they are updating it with new games almost everyday and I think checking copies of those kind of games is a waste of time.
Its a good site for people wanting to check if some game has a proper physical edition. Its a bad site to use as argument in online discussions regarding the state of physical games as a whole.

Digital Foundry was saying that the flash memory the switch carts use might succumb to bit rot and bluray will last longer.

Emedan

Digital Foundry was saying that the flash memory the switch carts use might succumb to bit rot and bluray will last longer.
Well eventually I suppose, but so would past gen cartridge games as well. Optical medium is truly physical since data is actually present on the medium.

Exactly, they don't, thus skewing those percentages that people keep trying to use as "proof".

Its a good site for people wanting to check if some game has a proper physical edition. Its a bad site to use as argument in online discussions regarding the state of physical games as a whole.

I mean, online games in their nature will fade away at some point. What's important, at least to me, is what singleplayer discs I can still play in 15 years and for that they are a good measure.

Also, influencers and other idiots keep pushing the narrative that literally every disc and every Switch art right now is just activitating an internet download, which is a complete lie, so it's good to have this kind of database.

Guilty_AI

I mean, online games in their nature will fade away at some point.
They don't. Thats a narrative people bought up these days, but the truth is there are tons of old multiplayer games that work just fine through private servers and are still played to this day.

Also, many of these games like The Crew or Diablo 4 aren't really multiplayer, they just contain multiplayer elements and otherwise could be played through entirely solo.

Last edited:
The problem is that we don't even know if Switch 2 will have physical media. I'm sure it will, but what difference will it make if there are no stores left that sell them?

I think there's a chance the only physical drive in the Switch 2 is for OG Switch games.

Three

For the ps5:
>Helldivers 2
>Payday 3
Does helldivers 2 have a single player campaign? It's entire gameplay is based on a shared galaxy online. It's like complaining WoW requires internet. Somewhat the same with things like Payday 3 too. They don't really have an official solo mode.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Does helldivers 2 have a single player campaign? It's entire gameplay is based on a shared galaxy online. It's like complaining WoW requires internet. Somewhat the same with things like Payday 3 too. They don't really have an official solo mode.
They can be played fully solo, there are games like them that can be played offline, including Payday 2. They are not subscription-based games. There is no good reason for them to be online or restrict all of its features behind an online connection.

And most importantly, they sell physical copies that are worthless as physical disks.

Last edited:

Three

They can be played fully solo, there are games like them that can be played offline, including Payday 2. They are not subscription-based games. There is no good reason for them to be online or restrict all of its features behind an online connection.
Helldivers isn't a solo game much like Sea of theives or Destiny isn't really a solo game. In Helldivers 2s case it's an online game with mission objectives coming online and those objectives being shared online objectives that can happen without you even booting up the game.

Payday 3 tried to do somthing similar and not really have an official solo mode anymore.
And most importantly, they sell physical copies that are worthless as physical disks.
The physical discs aren't worthless. They aren't worthless in the true sense of the word in that they can be sold if you don't like the game but they are multiplayer online games.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Most PS5 games work even without a patch so I'm not sure what you mean they're worthless. Switch notoriously sells physical game boxes with digital codes in them. Assassin's Creed isn't even a true digital game, you have to stream it to the console. First party Nintendo is great but their third party is full of crap.

Guilty_AI

Helldivers isn't a solo game much like Sea of theives or Destiny isn't really a solo game. In Helldivers 2s case it's an online game with mission objectives coming online and those objectives being shared online objectives that can happen without you even booting up the game.
So is Deep Rock Galactic, and guess what? I can play that Offline.

Like i said, no good reason. Can't believe you're defending this shit with this sort of EA-like rethoric.

The physical discs aren't worthless. They aren't worthless in the true sense of the word in that they can be sold if you don't like the game but they are multiplayer online games.
Can you sell them when the servers go down? Without purposefully scaming people i mean.

Last edited:

Three

So is Deep Rock Galactic, and guess what? I can play that Offline.

Like i said, no good reason. Can't believe you're defending this shit with this sort of EA-like rethoric.
I'm just saying a multiplayer online game like Helldivers isn't the same as a single player game not working offline because it has to download the rest of the game or patches to work.
Can you sell them when the servers go down? Without purposefully scaming people i mean.
That doesn't align with what you said

"And most importantly, they sell physical copies that are worthless as physical disks."

When/if the game servers shut down they aren't selling physical copies anymore. Meanwhile though, when they actually are selling them, the discs aren't 'worthless'. Your digital copy is.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I can't help but feel this is all irrelevant, as in the end, dumps of these games will be available on a server (or storage devices) for a lot longer than the physical media will still be useable. I regularly use my PS2, Wii, 360, Genesis, and PS3, but 3 out of 5 of these consoles required a repair at some point (Gen, PS2, PS3). Point being, emulation and digital backups are the only full proof way to ensure availability into the far future.

Last edited:

Deerock71

It's how I'm viewing it, honestly. If we get a warning about an EMP strike, I even have EMP-proof bags to throw some electronics in, and the OLED Switch and a few key games are definitely going in there.

JimboJones

The most satisfying thing about most Switch physical games is that they work without any install needed.
Obviously when publishers cheap out on cartridges the mandatory downloading brings us back to installation times again.
I hope it doesn't become the standard with Switch 2 😔

Guilty_AI

I'm just saying a multiplayer online online game like Helldivers isn't the same as a single player game not working offline because it has to download the rest of the game or patches to work.
They both don't work when company servers go down, sounds very similar to me.

That doesn't align with what you said

"And most importantly, they sell physical copies that are worthless as physical disks."

When/if the game servers shut down they aren't selling physical copies anymore. Meanwhile though, when they actually are selling them, the discs aren't 'worthless'. Your digital copy is.
Considering you've decided to bring digital to the conversation, i don't think you even understand what i'm saying at all. But enjoy pretending you own all of your physical disks i guess.

Last edited:
Most PS5 games work even without a patch so I'm not sure what you mean they're worthless. Switch notoriously sells physical game boxes with digital codes in them. Assassin's Creed isn't even a true digital game, you have to stream it to the console. First party Nintendo is great but their third party is full of crap.
Even 1st party is wonky. Nintendo's own idea of GAAS was to boil down multiplayer games like any Mario Sports to less than 2 hours worth of content and deliver standard modes and characters of the past as "free" DLC later.

Top Bottom