• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch UI video from some guy [named hiphoptherobot]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzaK

Cue unpopular opinion but I think Nintendo makes the best dedicated gaming interfaces out of the big three.

Because, it knows exactly what it is. Sony and Microsoft seems to think they are still PCs and shove a million things on the screen at the same time. Nintendo has (atleast with 3DS and Wii U) put a grid of games front and center. I always know where my games are there. There is no separate "Games" menu where I have to go hunt for it. It's right there.

Really? It's a touch screen device that asks you to tap TWICE to execute the action for an icon. I wouldn't consider that "best". I see in the video that the first tap shows the text then second executes, but really, if their icons were good enough (They are) they don't need multiple taps. It's just typically Nintendo pandering and assuming their users are stupid. Just like they do when they depend on massive tutorials for their games. Nintendo are backwards in so many ways.

Jonnax

Android isn't really geared towards gaming.

But the odds are the Switch will be running Linux.

Nvidia is a the biggest player in GPU compute and Linux is pretty much a given there.

https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/linux-tegra-r242

^ Linux For Tegra

Supported Features
Kernel version 3.10.96
Support for 64-bit user space and runtime libraries
Vulkan Support
V4L2 media-controller driver support for camera sensors (bypassing ISP)
Media APIs:
OpenGL 4.4
OpenGL ES 3.1
OpenGL ES path extensions
EGL 1.4 with EGLImage
X Resize, Rotate and Reflect Extension (RandR) 1.4
X11 Support
U-Boot

I see very little benefit to running Android on the Switch.

Funny enough though this screenshot totally looks like the Holo Design that was introduced in Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0)

VLmfQe5.jpg

I love the doubletap thing. I hate it when I accidentally press a touchscreen button and it does something I don't want.

Ninty way is like a double click on PC. Superior way.

I have man sized fingers and touch screen don't register them well for some reason. Maybe my electricity or whatever is so low...

kami_sama

What does this mean?

I mean that if they could use a free OS, having it based on something more "low-level", like Linux or FreeBSD.
Android in itself is based off the Linux kernel, so being Android based instead of just Linux would be puzzling.
I might have phrased my post wrong, now that I think about it.

KtSlime

Android is already on a "Switch" hardware.

In fact it is already on Nvidia Shield, the "older" brother of Switch.
And it runs very well, thanks to Tegra and constant Nvidia upgrades.

Maybe a lot of Gaffers here didn't have a chance to try Shield, I understand this and I suggest you to try it, one day.

I have messed around with the Shield TV, my housemate asked me to pick up one when I was in America 2 years ago. It is a fine system.

Yeah I think Android would be terrible for this unless they have ditched the JVM side of things and its basically just a Linux kernel. Having a garbage collected interpreted language for a game console would be a terrible idea.

The only way it looks the same to me is that the dark colour scheme looks vaguely like ICS?

Yeah, is pretty useless for a machine dedicated for games.

How is a custom Linux kernel any more vulnerable to hacks than Nintendo own efforts?

Considering every console Nintendo has made has been compromised thanks to Nintendo leaving the door open. I'd be trusting a *nix kernel over them every day of the week.

Again if Nvidia have been intensively involved with creating tools to make porting work, why would they not use their existing work. The Android core is solid, I think people need to get the myth that Android is an insecure platform out of their head. It isn't 2010 any more.

For crying out loud using the Android kernel is NOT using a stock Android system. Christ.

The argument is this: looks like Android, it must be running Android. The kernel it is running cannot be judged by the appearance of the UI. If it is running just the "Android kernel", it is not running Android. The tools Nvidia has made are likely POSIX or close to that standard, and would take no time using any Unix like kernel.

Android is still a pretty insecure platform, which takes very little effort to install cracked software on. And while Nintendo (and everyone) has had their systems cracked, the concern is about how long it takes to crack, and how easy it is to do. Going with Android gives pirates a pretty easy plan of attack.

This is a pretty easy thing to find out. If hiphoptherobot would be so kind to look at the license page, it would clearly say if and where the GPL code is from.

PS: Thanks for the videos hiphoptherobot!

kami_sama

The argument is this: looks like Android, it must be running Android. The kernel it is running cannot be judged by the appearance of the UI. If it is running just the "Android kernel", it is not running Android. The tools Nvidia has made are likely POSIX or close to that standard, and would take no time using any Unix like kernel.

Really, are people making assumptions only because of this? Then those fake iphones are really using iOS for them, right?

Rasec46

Neo Member
Man, who cares if its Android or not!

Can we get confirmation whether or not bluetooth headphones work? :)

I second this. And time to bring this to the new page. XD

I didn't see any option for bluetooh on the video but a confirmation would be nice.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Android isn't really geared towards gaming.

But the odds are the Switch will be running Linux.

Nvidia is a the biggest player in GPU compute and Linux is pretty much a given there.

https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/linux-tegra-r242

^ Linux For Tegra

I see very little benefit to running Android on the Switch.

Funny enough though this screenshot totally looks like the Holo Design that was introduced in Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0)

VLmfQe5.jpg

You mean, the kernel they used for the Shield TV, which is their customized Android kernel?

You know, the one I said that they should be basing their efforts on for the Switch because it contains their optimisations for the platform they've spent years developing?

Yes, that's the kernel I expect the Switch to be based on because that was my argument from the very start! Fuck.

*storms off in a huff*

oti

Banned
Man, who cares if its Android or not!

Can we get confirmation whether or not bluetooth headphones work? :)

I mean, if it was Android one might have a way to sideload the Google Play Store on this thing. That could be interesting for someone who wants to use Switch as a tablet.

deleted

I'd love to learn more about the Bluetooth capabilities too.

Is it possible to connect a random Bluetooth speaker? I'd love to use one for tabletop mode every once in a while (e.g. vacation).

Really appreciate you doing all this hiphoptherobot. Try nothing that would make Nintendo be able to identify the sender though. I bet he's sweating blood and tears as is right now.
And we have had weirder stuff happen with blocked consoles and all that.

Rasec46

Neo Member
I mean, if it was Android one might have a way to sideload the Google Play Store on this thing. That could be interesting for someone who wants to use Switch as a tablet.

That's a very good point but we know how nintendo is and making google play available seems a impossible thing to happen.
I understand what you mean but there's no way to know if it runs android until at least it comes out and people start exploring it or nvdia/nintendo shows more documents or patents about it.

No way we can figure the OS just by looking trough an UI.

I'd love to learn more about the Bluetooth capabilities too.

Is it possible to connect a random Bluetooth speaker? I'd love to use one for tabletop mode every once in a while (e.g. vacation).

Really appreciate you doing all this hiphoptherobot. Try nothing that would make Nintendo be able to identify the sender though. I bet he's sweating blood and tears as is right now.
And we have had weirder stuff happen with blocked consoles and all that.

For now until we get some answer we only know what i shared on my post above.
It seems to support bluetooth headsets so i guess a speaker also works.
Also the 3.5mm jack also works on dock mode so i guess bluetooth headphones are also compatible when connected to the tvprobably.

Shiggy

Cuningas de Häme;230482182 said:
I love the doubletap thing. I hate it when I accidentally press a touchscreen button and it does something I don't want.

Ninty way is like a double click on PC. Superior way.

I have man sized fingers and touch screen don't register them well for some reason. Maybe my electricity or whatever is so low...

May I ask what phone you are using? I've only seen such issues myself with very cheap phones.

I think the Switch will totally get an Android rom running on it if/when it's hacked. Will probably lose it's Switch functionalities though. I wonder if a dual boot would be possible.

KtSlime

That's a very good point but we know how nintendo is and making google play available seems a impossible thing to happen.
I understand what you mean but there's no way to know if it runs android until at least it comes out and people start exploring it or nvdia/nintendo shows more documents or patents about it.

No way we can figure the OS just by looking trough an UI

This is not true, if it is using licensed software such as Linux, or L/GPLed libraries, they must include it in a places that are visible, either in the instruction manual that came with the device, or located in the settings. If they do not they are in violation of the terms, and could be sued and forced to stop selling the Switch.

Parahan

If it's Android, wouldn't that be risky for Nintendo? I am assuming games would become easier to pirate and run on far better hardware.

jts

...hate me...
If it's Android, wouldn't that be risky for Nintendo? I am assuming games would become easier to pirate and run on far better hardware.

With horrid controls, no online whatsoever and 30 minutes battery life.

What Android phones are far more powerful than the Nintendo Switch?

deleted

For now until we get some answer we only know what i shared on my post above.
It seems to support bluetooth headsets so i guess a speaker also works.
Also the 3.5mm jack also works on dock mode so i guess bluetooth headphones are also compatible when connected to the tvprobably.

Sure, I know about the leaks, but it seems like this would be something hiphoptherobot could actually test with the Switch at hand.
Sony is the worst in this regard e.g. on cellphones and apperantly the PS4, they only allow a certain set of Bluetooth devices. I myself had the problem that I bought a good Sony headset for my cellphone, upgraded to another Sony phone and the headset wasn't supported anymore. And that wasn't even Bluetooth but a normal 3.5mm headset.

So it would be pretty cool, if all kinds of Bluetooth devices are supported.

mark-san

Banned
Wow, I'm jealous that your campus even has that. I'm already resigned to the fact that I'm gonna have to pay the $20 fee for another wired connection in order to go online on it.

Buy a router, plug your current wired connection and share it on a hidden SSID. Double NAT, but it will work...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't understand the importance of debating if it's Android based or not. Even if it's Android based it's probably a very custom version of it that is built to be optimised around gaming part.

Switch having an Android based OS is not a bad thing, fellow Nintendo fans.
Switch not having an Android based OS is not a bad thing either.

What's important is not the kernel but the functionalities at least for the consumers.

Lutherian

No, that's awesome, and the reason why I'm full in with the virtual console this time (although I guess getting my Wii VC games onto the switch won't be possible) unless they go crazy with the prices again just to make up for this.

What I meant is that the fact that wiping out the system doesn't perform a factory reset will limit homebrew applications.

And that's exactly the kind of thing Nintendo doesn't want. Nor Sony and Microsoft.

correojon

Really? It's a touch screen device that asks you to tap TWICE to execute the action for an icon. I wouldn't consider that "best". I see in the video that the first tap shows the text then second executes, but really, if their icons were good enough (They are) they don't need multiple taps. It's just typically Nintendo pandering and assuming their users are stupid. Just like they do when they depend on massive tutorials for their games. Nintendo are backwards in so many ways.

Wow, you´re really reading too much into it. I strongly disagree with the "massive tutorials", as outside of some Zelda games, Nintendo games usually have excellent level design that teaches you by playing. I´d this is much more prevalent than games with big tutorials.

That said, I agree thought that a single touch should´ve been enough, like in WiiU. Maybe you can launch them with a single A button press like in DS and WiiU?

Shiggy

I can't believe I'm reading this. I love that OS. It's simple and it works.

It's super slow and clunky. Want to use the camera? Sorry, need to close the game first and then wait a bit. You want to get to the store? You need to leave the store first and then go to the settings to update your system (instead of letting you update from the eShop). You want to leave the settings? The system needs to restart now.

Just a few examples of why the OS is extremely badly programmed.

EVH

It's super slow and clunky. Want to use the camera? Sorry, need to close the game first and then wait a bit. You want to get to the store? You need to leave the store first and then go to the settings to update your system (instead of letting you update from the eShop). You want to leave the settings? The system needs to restart now.

Not only that, the 3DS OS is like mixing ten packages of LEGO and building something with pieces of each of those ten packages. It feels like a clusterfuck of styles and themes all developed by Nintendo, where in some the help comes from a bird and others from a kind of robot TV. It just is unpleasant to use and look at.

The one in Switch is just a skeleton, but at least feels like a design philosophy is behind it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I don't care what it's running on. It looks far better than the 3DS UI so as far as I'm concerned it's a huge upgrade.

It looks real nice and clean. Although not a fan of all the white but first thing I'll do is put on the black theme.

This is incidental to the design itself, which is functional and intuitive, and has no ads or "information overload." A tile for every app, and you can even shrink and grow them to display more or fewer icons at once. It just makes sense for a gaming device.

Shiggy

This is incidental to the design itself, which is functional and intuitive, and has no ads or "information overload." A tile for every app, and you can even shrink and grow them to display more or fewer icons at once. It just makes sense for a gaming device.

I think the Switch is doing it much better already.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I appreciate the videos y'all made but I wonder why we haven't seen anything from Mii Maker since they are suppose to get new additions?

oti

Banned

You can sideload the Play Store on Kindle Fire. Otherwise, the Amazon device would be quite limited. But I don't expect that to work on Switch. It's Nintendo we're talking about.

Shahadan

I remember trying to download a free dlc for Fire Emblem. It took me forever because not only there are dozens of screens to make a purchase, it took me to the eshop with all the painful process to finally donwload my incredibly small and useless free dlc.

If I had to pay it would probably have convinced me to give up the idea, lol. I hope Switch games handle dlcs and its eshop better

Some pictures of internet setting, the screen that you get when you click on your profile pic in the top left corner of the homescreen and a picture if the screen capture editor.

and maybe a picture of my dog because he is being super cute and after a long day of answering questions he is helping keep me sane.

Thank you so much for this info! So friends list on the console is confirmed (though that was basically confirmed by the dev document leak and Nintendo themselves but it's nice to actually see it).

Also as a fellow pom (well, part pom) owner your dog is adorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom