• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo switch UK price £279.99

mrklaw

MrArseFace
£60 Nintendo games is crazy. Especially if Nintendo tries to keep the prices high - they traditionally stay higher for longer than Xbox/PS games.

It's a particular kick in the balls to anyone mainly looking at this as a new 3DS - almost double the price of 3DS games..

BraXzy

Pricing is rough if the games don't drop to £40.

Factoring in all the stuff I would want at launch... Console, pro controller, mario, zelda + 1 other game, maybe others...

£280+£60+£60+£50 = £450

That's ignoring other launch titles, a second pro controller, possible joy cons and future online sub fee.

Ugh.

Bold One

Vfkc.png

fSfTT3w.gif

jonno394

Pricing is rough if the games don't drop to £40.

Factoring in all the stuff I would want at launch... Console, pro controller, mario, zelda, maybe others...

£280+£65+£60+£50 = £455

That's ignoring other launch titles, a second pro controller, possible joy cons and future online sub fee.

Ugh.

Mario at launch?

Nuszka

Just woke up to the reveal. All seemed well until the pricing. Oh man we are getting bummed in the backsides here in UK. Pass.

These prices are suicidal. I'll cancel my Amazon order if these prices are accurate. £60 a game. £65 pro controller. £75 Joy Cons. Utterly ludicrous pricing strategy.

RRP for xb1/ps4 games is £55, add in the pound dropping. £60 seems right. But how many outlets sell games for RRP? Game perhaps, other than that, I can't think of any time I've walked into a shop and seen a game on the shelf for RRP.

Hasney

Guys, again, don't work yourselves up about game prices. PS4 and XB1 games have RRPs of £50-£60. Go look at the PSN store. They're cheaper at retail when competition happens.

Saiyan-Rox

RRP for xb1/ps4 games is £55, add in the pound dropping. £60 seems right. But how many outlets sell games for RRP? Game perhaps, other than that, I can't think of any time I've walked into a shop and seen a game on the shelf for RRP.

Nintendo games often sell at RRP do they not? And hardly ever drop in price.

Linkified

Fuck it. High prices and awful launch lineup. After thinking about it all I'm cancelling my preorder and waiting until Christmas when hopefully things might look better.

Nintendo really dropped the ball here. Delaying the consoles until march so games could be ready; what games?

On that point if they really anted it out the door why not release it late in March so it closer to the Mario Kart 8 release date so at least on appearance they are at least attempting to get their act together.

Remember when the reasons for this device was to unify game development between handled and home versions and their wouldn't be the drought wouldn't be bad an they learned their lesson.

So 1..2..Switch(March), LoZ(March), Mario Kart 8:D(April), Arms(May), then we get into the vagueness Splatoon 2(Summer). Then no more definite dates on Nintendo software, plus Mario game will probably get delayed they generally always do.

KJRS_1993

The PS4 Pro is only £70 more - and retailers are already starting to offer some discounts to it.

The price for the Switch is too high. I'm not sure how anyone could say otherwise.

rdytoroll

It's 349€ at Media Markt in Germany lmao

Nah, I'm good Nintendo. Americans don't know how good they have it with hardware pricing.

Betty

Banned
I would still consider picking it up at launch if it had a few games worth buying.

The fact Mario Kart 8 is an April title and Mario Odyssey is all the way into December 31st possibly 2018, it's too much for just one game.

I bought the Wii at launch just for Zelda but it was like £175, it was a no brainer.

God damn my bad, I'm still watching the conference. It's not a launch title? D:

I might wait out for now...

Waiting is usually the smart option, for every console, unless there's a launch game you really want to play.

Pokemon and £200 - that's my buying point.

Hmm, I think I'd rather play BOTW for £40.

New consoles are exciting, but outside of novelty, not sure what it offers me at launch.

Will probably wait for next year when there's more supply and Mario's out.

Blueingreen

Spot on!
It's like Nintendo learned fuck all from the Wii U fiasco. Price is king and at that price for just the console it's DOA. The accessories are priced ridiculously as well not to mention the games.

I really hope this is a lighting in a bottle situation like the Wii, but excuse my pessimism this system isn't too enticing as either a handheld with it's 2-6 hour battery life and pricing or a console with it's inferior hardware specs and again pricing, I mean really who is this aimed for, what's Nintendo's target audience with this console besides their diehards?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
If we're blaming the UK price on Brexit, how does that explain the price in Germany, France and Italy?

Seriously, the prices have never seemed to line up with conversions, we always have seemed to pay more.

Lay off with this Brexit nonsense.

Nintendo really sold me on the concept for the hardware, and there's a decent line up over the next year or so, but as a launch price it seems like a fairly hefty price tag.

Which is a strange first reaction for me to have. It's not massively out of line with other Nintendo systems factoring into account inflation, and the PS4 and XB1 launched at far higher prices three years back. But I think the form factor is making me think that the price is rather high for a handheld/console hybrid, given the internals inside, and given where the PS4 and XB1 are at today. My brain seems to be ignoring the fact that the internals are chipsets designed for portability and mobility, using a battery pack and a lot less power, which at a given TFLOP level costs more than the chipsets inside a home console would (like for like basis).

I think the other issue though is not for the Nintendo hardcore fans, but those who would be open to a purchase fairly early on: game titles are currently priced over £45, then there's screen protectors, cases, etc. Smartly Nintendo have effectively delayed paid online for several months which should help the value perception. Though the pro controller really should have been included in the box. I get that it's a high margin add on item for Nintendo and retailers, but it's a pretty essential item by the looks of it, and only adds onto the cost consumers will anticipate.

I just hope the public don't have the same reaction as I do, in terms of perception of the price being excessive because its seen as a handheld with a dock rather than a hybrid system. But I think it's quite likely, and pretty fair that they'll make direct comparisons to the current home systems in terms of what they offer for less (base models) or a little more (PS4 pro). Either way, I wasn't going to get one at launch, I always wait with any new system for the software catalogue to develop and mature.

The PS4 Pro is only £70 more - and retailers are already starting to offer some discounts to it.

The price for the Switch is too high. I'm not sure how anyone could say otherwise.

I think the argument is that as a new console launch, the price is fairly standard. However, it is expensive when compared to the current generation of consoles which it will be competing against.

For example, if the switch had launched in the same year as the PS4 and the XBone, the price would be comparable (and possibly favourable).

Unfortunately, it isn't. It's launching now, and whilst it is impressive technology for a portable system, the end results dont look like they are a generation beyond currently available systems. That in turn makes it seem poor value.

Still, I'm getting one :)

Jumeira

Banned
£60 games????? Nintendo back at it again, this things is going to have trouble moving here. DS barely sells as the game prices are horrible

teeny

It's £30 more than I was anticipating, but that's not too bad. Game prices ought to come down as we get closer to launch, these kinds of placeholders are always higher upon initial announcement.

I don't see the need for a pro controller immediately, so I'll just be getting the console and Zelda at launch.

EDIT: I know the battery life is not great, but I have a power pack so.... I think it helps if you view this more as a portable system than a home console, which I do as most of my gaming is currently done on the 3DS anyway. It seems like a massive step up if you look at it from that perspective.

madmackem

Guys, again, don't work yourselves up about game prices. PS4 and XB1 games have RRPs of £50-£60. Go look at the PSN store. They're cheaper at retail when competition happens.
You are talking about third party games that are out on multiple consoles etc, these aren't the same. These are first party Nintendo titles, they don't follow the trend of third party or even first party Sony/ms they hold thier value and price. They very rarely drop price, I can see Zelda costing that much at launch and for a period of time.

Belker

I was really confused about the Zelda pricing. I ordered it for £40 and couldn't understand why you were all saying it was £60. I'm so glad that people here were linking to the product, because I just realised I'd actually ordered the Wii U version.

£60 is a bit high for me. Zelda titles are games I play once and never return to, but open world titles are ones I like to keep in case I want to go back to them.

If there's feedback that the game allows to one re-explore and experience it as a simulation, after finishing the main storyline, then maaybe it's worth it. Maaaaybe.

Hasney

You are talking about third party games that are out on multiple consoles etc, these aren't the same. These are first party Nintendo titles, they don't follow the trend of third party or even first party Sony/ms they hold thier value and price. They very rarely drop price, I can see Zelda costing that much at launch and for a period of time.

Knack was £55 at launch, Wii U games were £50. They did not sell at that price anywhere but in store Game or HMV.

For around 200 quid I probably would have gone for it, but it's just too much for Zelda alone. Nothing else looks all that interesting to me and I'll have plenty to play on the PS4 and Xbox at that time of the year. Maybe when there's more titles I'm interested in I'll bite.

sam777

Well they're not going to sell of at a loss, so the exchange will likely be similar. Just depends on what they want to price it in the US.

I am sure MS will be looking closely at the Switch's launch here in Europe. Tbf £280 for a new console is not bad but when you compare it with the other consoles it seems terrible for what they offer. Especially the prices of the games and accessories.

Nuszka

We only have ourselves to blame.

Lets not go that road.

On other note after watching a view vids reading about the online stuff. I mean it feels like they are asking a premium price for a product that feels more on the cheap side. £75 for jay cons !!!!
Now to think about it if they had a version of that console that is only stationary without the screen, basic controllers and below £199 tag , i would be there day one.

Top Bottom