• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo switch UK price £279.99

Ah wow that's kinda steep, especially when you factor in the games.
Certainly seems like it's priced itself out of being a secondary console for a lot of people.

On a personal level I'm kinda uncomfortable buying games for more than £40 - even at that price I have to be 'sure' I'll love them so BOTW for £60 & Mario for £50 aint happening.

I do really like the Switch but honestly, if those are the standard game prices I probably wouldn't get one at all if it wasn't replacing the 3ds. I NEED my Pokémons though
Definitely gonna wait for a price drop.

I've realised I'm a mad man with a stack of unplayed games and with a perfectly function WiiU for Zelda.

There is no way I'm keeping my preorders on the Switch for £280. I'll probably be back in for when Xenoblade 2 is out.

I should sleep, lack of sleep meant I preordered a Switch

Why do people keep blaming Brexit? Getting a little fed up of this now. You can get a PS4 or XBOX One S, with games for cheaper than the Switch. Nintendo always price everything high. They wanted £299.99 for the 32GB Wii U and you could be a PS4 that was a new console for the same price.

This is Nintendo, not Brexit.

Because a price hike for games is inevitable with post-Brexit currency. Leaving the EU is killing the value of the pound, now down almost 20% on what it used to be compared to the dollar. We import most things, including games, so don't be surprised to see prices increase.

$60 used to be around £40. Plus VAT = £50.

$60 today is just under £50. Plus VAT = over £60.

Retailers and publishers aren't going to be eating that £10 price difference forever. Nintendo might be the first to start pushing for this, but don't blame them. It's very much the Brexit vote at fault. You can say you're happy with that trade-off for whatever "benefits" you feel Brexit brings, but you can't pretend Brexit isn't directly responsible for price hikes.

RulkezX

Wow up intending to pre order but no way at that price work. The year 1 games list makes the decision easy as well tbh.

This will be sub 200 by xmas.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Really just repeating the crowd, but it is true. The price point is too high. This will struggle on release, fail to build word of mouth, and accordingly recover only poorly after the inevitable price drop. Feel like this was a big fuck-up, which frustrates me - I wanted it to do well.

Still buying it from Breath of the Wild, but I'm not going to be an early adopter.

VegiHam

Wow up intending to pre order but no way at that price work. The year 1 games list makes the decision easy as well tbh.

Let's hope so. I'll happily grab it for £200 once Xenoblade/Mario/ANYTHING actually comes out...

Iceberg

At that price point.. how many would be available at launch? Will there be shortages?

After the Classic Mini and the 2-3x scalper-prices, Nintendo may be wondering if $300 is high enough to maximize profits.

I guess their strategy with a high price at launch:

- maximizes profits
- deters scalpers
- already previews an Ambassador program with free games after the inevitable price drop, so early adopters get something extra

MilkyJoe

No it won't though, it'll stay high priced, in typical Nintendo stubborn fashion, no matter how hard it tanks.

hohoXD123

Well, just went from planning to pre-order today to not being so sure. After so many rumours saying the price would be £199/$250, even my pessimistic estimate was £250. Plus the more expensive games, paid online and $70 controllers has made this more expensive than I was expecting. Had high hopes for this conference but other than Zelda at launch and XBC2 (2017 lol sure) it seems more disappointing if anything.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Just woke up to this, I love Nintendo but I'm out I'm afraid, factor in the price of a game and the pro controller it just makes it ridiculous compared to the competition, I'll be buying Zelda for my Wii-u with a smile on my face.

pswii60

Considering that The base PS4 is considerable more powerful and has supposedly way more storage and comes with a game bundled in on top of that for 300 dollars it will probably be even more cheaper by march. Its absolutely ridiculous that the Switch costs as much as it does. 250 would have alright but 300 seems to be pushing it.
Switch has a screen, internal battery, and fancy stuff in the joycons, that's where the additional costs are on top of a standard console spec.

cluderi

Really hoping they clear up the Zelda special editions soon as well.

Got the SE on Amazon for £159.99 and the SE on game.co.uk for £89.99. There's no master edition showing in the UK so hopefully we just get the basic game or the edition with all the plastic tat (and that Amazon sort their placeholder price out and bring it down to £90 or so. The Master Edition in the USA is up for $130 so that's about right)

defusal

I'm not to shocked at the price and will still be getting one but I can understand the disappointment from others. If it has a large impact on launch I wonder if they will drop it quickly like the 3DS or maintain the price like the Wii U.

Plasma

Banned
No it won't though, it'll stay high priced, in typical Nintendo stubborn fashion, no matter how hard it tanks.
I don't know the 3DS dropped pretty quickly and seeing as they're pushing this as their home and portable system for the next few years if it does poorly they'll have to react.

KORNdoggy

Too expensive. Not enough of a percievable graphical improvement over wii-u. Poor launch lineup. Plus it's paid online despite Nintendo being a million years behind in that regard. I don't see this doing very well. This thing needed to be CHEAP to make the other short falls (of which there are many) ignorable and the reality is, ps4 and Xbox one have been as low as £150 here in the UK.

I'm thinking this won't do much better than the wii-u.

Macleoid

Just can't justify that price when I already have a wii u and the only game I'd get is there anyway.

I was hoping theyd do something nice for wii u owners like free transfer of digital games, that'd push me over to getting a pre-order.

Oh well I guess I'll wait and see what's the games/support and price for next Christmas.

Baleoce

Between the hardware capabilities, the launch software lineup, the hardware price and reported software prices, for me personally Switch does not represent good value right now. I'll be waiting before I dive in. I'll be watching to see how their paid online implementation plays out as well.

Nintendo can seriously piss off with that pricing. £60 for games now?

I also notice they're going to charge for online. Hahaha.

AHA-Lambda

Why are the games so expensive?? They're still $60 for US no?
And there are only 4 games on launch day?

Sorry, I'm just awake and catching up now but this seems poor

Edit: yeah vibe around gaf is seeming rather negative right now

RoyalFool

Banned
Oh dear, I fear the running parody of Nintendoom is going to overshadow just how bad this news is being taken, so many people got burnt on the WiiU but they are still asking for next gen prices for 900p Wiiu ports.

Calling it now, the nes mini will outsell this thing

Dizzy

Banned
Holy shit, wasn't expecting that. Count me out for now.

I'll wait and see if it ends up getting a bomba deal like wii u did.

jonno394

Gameseek still listing as £198, might pre-order there too just incase they honour it!

edit - ah, they're not accepting any more!

DiGiKerot

Wii U launched at the same price in the US and UK when looking at what the conversion was. If this was 2012 then I can't accept that excuse.

Dude, if you knock the VAT off the price, it'd be cheaper than the US version of the console.

The performance of the FTSE of domestic wages and living standards are completely irrelevant in the face of the value of the currency in this matter, though. It's a foreign product designed by people paid in foreign currencies built by people paid in foreign currencies for parts bought in foreign currencies. If the value of our domestic currency is low in comparison, of course the price is going to be higher.

You are free to think that the price is too high globally. If you think it's too expensive in comparison to a PS4 or XB1, that's fine as well. Personally, I don't think it's a particularly compatible product - given the pricing considerations of the screen and the controller configurations and the like, I don't personally think the price is too insane, but then I'm not primarily viewing this as a static home console. It's Different Thing. If you do view it that way, sure, totally different value proposition.

That said, I wouldn't expect a price cut any time soon, unless it underperforms globally. They'll just reallocate stock to better performing regions, particularly given how unstable out currency is. Nothing policitcal about that at all, it's just the current reality we live in.

RulkezX

I don't mean official price drop, retailers were practically giving WiiU away when it bombed. We will see huge deals come xmas/black friday

score01

I'm out. More expensive than I expected. Will defo pick one up down the road sometime assuming the price drops like normal consoles unlike the WiiU.

Don't have a problem waiting a year or two for the goodness.

panda-zebra

Banned
People expecting Switch games to retail well below RRP this side of xmas are in for a shock... never been at the launch of a console before? When the userbase is tiny and early adopters are throwing cash around, RRPs hold. IMO best you can hope for is a few quid off a few months in and a fiver by autumn.

dc89

I have pre-ordered on Amazon and now I need to have a long hard think about it.
A real long hard think.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It was rumored £199 a week ago.... Insane UK price.
And EU price is $330.

Come July this thing will be collecting dust on shelves across Europe.

And paid online.
Single NES/SNES rom temporarily per month...

Worst value proposition in console gaming for quite some while. Everything banks on Zelda.

Yep. My PS pro cost less than that (granted it was an amazon warehouse one..)

It really banks on Zelda then pause then splatoon then pause then Mario.

Mario is the smart time to jump in. See if there is a price correction/drop like 3DS, see how the battery life is in reality (2.5hrs low end? Yikes).

Zojirushi

You're not. £279.99 includes $47 worth of VAT. You're paying less then the US.

These calculations with current exchange rates are pointless for Europeans, Brits, Australians or Canadians.

Just because their currency plummeted by 20% people in those countries don't suddenly have 20% higher income to make up for these hardware prices calculated taking USD as the base price.

Santiako

I have pre-ordered on Amazon and now I need to have a long hard think about it.
A real long hard think.

That's why I love preordering on amazon. No commitment until the very last day. I had PSVR preordered for 6 months there but backed out a couple of days before launch because I wasn't feeling it any more.

Volotaire

You can get a 500gb PS4 for £50 less, this is going t be a really tough sell.

The PS4 went on a flash sale for £150 with FIFA too last year, and has regular drops to sub £200 with 1 or 2 included games.

Very tough competition, especially now that Sony could afford to go cheaper with its 2 tier pricing structure in the future.

AzaK

The PS4 went on a flash sale for £150 with FIFA too last year, and has regular drops to sub £200 with 1 or 2 included games.

Very tough competition.

Only for enthusiast gamers, but this isn't for general enthusiast gamers. It's for Nintendo fans and casuals.

m.i.s.

Banned
You can get a 500gb PS4 for £50 less, this is going t be a really tough sell.

PS4 and XBO S on one side and cheap android tablets for under £100 with cheap to free games on the other side.

I'm trying to keep a straight face here, but you would think that NCL would have some one who has a clue. But no, a looks like a company executive management structure full of nodding yes men.

krae_man

These calculations with current exchange rates are pointless for Europeans, Brits, Australians or Canadians.

Just because their currency plummeted by 20% people in those countries don't suddenly have 20% higher income to make up for these hardware prices calculated taking USD as the base price.

That's a different argument then getting screwed on the exchange rate.

China is not charging less to make the thing because your dollar is crap.

If exchange rate realities put the Switch outside of your price range, that fine.

Why do I even try.

Top Bottom