• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo switch UK price £279.99

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Just woke up, £279 with no pack-in?

Ouch, Pass!

zpiders

Have a feeling this is going to bomb after release. The Nintendo fans who bought the Wii U will jump in regardless of the price but the average Joe isn't going to bite at this ridiculous price, especially since you can get a cheaper deal for the PS4 & XB1.

I don't know what Nintendo were thinking when coming up with a price for this thing. They need the Switch to succeed and should have been extremely competitive with the price to give it a good chance.

krang

PS4 and XBO S on one side and cheap android tablets for under £100 with cheap to free games on the other side.

I'm trying to keep a straight face here, but you would think that NCL would have some one who has a clue. But no, a looks like a company executive management structure full of nodding yes men.

Every now and again you can pick up a cheap Win10 tablet for a bit more that supports remote play for both XB1 and PS4 as well...

Zojirushi

That's a different argument then getting screwed on the exchange rate.

China is not charging less to make the thing because your dollar is crap.

If exchange rate realities put the Switch outside of your price range, that fine.

Why do I even try.

No need to be condescending dude.

I guess I was just trying to make an argument for regional pricing instead of just taking the strongest currency and then mindlessly converting to local currency.

But whatever this is happening with all consumer electronics right now so if companies know that people will accept those prices that's fine by me.

Just preordered the Black one from Amazon. That red/blue one is ugly as sin.

Also £279 is good for a console .It took a couple of years for the Xbox and PS4 to get to that level.

Ouch, a bit more than I thought it would be, thanks brexit.
The € price is who I feel sorry for. For software it goes $=€=0.9x£.

Although looking at it from a $ perspective £280 is less than $360 so I see myself as ripped off.

edit: I see myself as ripped off for paying less than 120% of the US price?...I really need some more sleep.

Blueingreen

Nope.

You want that device (and not this) get that device.

You want this, get it.

There is a bias against Nintendo that somehow their offerings aren't "worth" above a certain price threshold. Usually because of some arbitrary graphics comparison. It's silly.

Switch is a portable dock console that has debuted 3 years after PS4 and XBone. If you feel the price is untenable for what Nintendo is offering compared to those consoles, then your choice is clear, get one (or both, if it suits you) of those consoles.

You're missing the point, it's still competing with the PS4/XB1 two cheaper consoles that are more robust from a hardware standpoint and yes power does matter wether you like it or not, two consoles that are cheaper because pricing also matters, and to top it off they have a larger more varied library on offer.

Look bias aside let's be pragmatic here, from a consumer point of view is the the switch really an attractive product when placed adjacent to it's competition, who is this console aimed for ?

Because a price hike for games is inevitable with post-Brexit currency. Leaving the EU is killing the value of the pound, now down almost 20% on what it used to be compared to the dollar. We import most things, including games, so don't be surprised to see prices increase.

$60 used to be around £40. Plus VAT = £50.

$60 today is just under £50. Plus VAT = over £60.

Retailers and publishers aren't going to be eating that £10 price difference forever. Nintendo might be the first to start pushing for this, but don't blame them. It's very much the Brexit vote at fault. You can say you're happy with that trade-off for whatever "benefits" you feel Brexit brings, but you can't pretend Brexit isn't directly responsible for price hikes.
Maybe, but game prices crater so fast in the UK after release now that this would just mean that you have to wait a couple of weeks and get a 50% discount.
I could see Game being hit very hard in store by this as they need people to pay full price not wait for sales and if the prices went up by £10 nobody is going to be stupid enough to buy day one physically.

At £249 with a game I was willing to take a punt and buy this on launch even though I wasn't particularly excited, but £279 without a (£60) game and then paid online? Nope, not a chance in hell.

iFirez

I kinda want the Pro Controller, doesn't seem to be up for preorder yet though - got my Switch and Zelda preorders in at 7am though.

Belker

I decided to watch all the videos today instead of staying awake. However I happened to wake up just before 7am. The price was more than I was expecting - assumed because of Brexit as others have said - but because I ordered from Amazon I can always cancel before launch.

The thing that surprised me is how the console is still available, more than two hours after it went live. Given Nintendo's caution over production, I assume that's because either a) Amazon will cancel orders they can't fulfil later or b) people just aren't interested at this price.

krang

It's too expensive to release just AFTER Christmas.

I think with a few bundles it'll do really well this Christmas, though.

The price is high, if not £30 more than expected

but those game RRP's are eye watering! its the N64 days!

saying that PS4 games are meant to be that and never are - Digital will stay at the RRP because everyone shafts us Digitally!

Has anyone ever gone on record and explained why digital prices on console storefronts are exactly the eyewatering RRP's? the idea of digital is to avoid manufacturing/retail costs but is absolutely never lower outside of sales

Baleoce

Between the hardware capabilities, the launch software lineup, the hardware price and reported software prices, for me personally Switch does not represent good value right now. I'll be waiting before I dive in. I'll be watching to see how their paid online implementation plays out as well.

To add to my earlier points, the hardware accessories also do not represent good value to me. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-13-a-pair-of-nintendo-switch-joy-con-controllers-costs-75

GAME is selling a pair of Joy-cons, so, a left and right Joy-con, for a whopping £74.99.

You can buy the things separately, too. A Joy-con right (grey), for example, costs £42.99.

A wireless Pro Controller costs £64.99, but much cheaper is a wired Switch Horipad, which costs £27.99.

I don't think it's gonna do to well at that price. Needs to be £200 or less to sell as a handheld console. Just can't see who's gonna pay that outside the Nintendo hardcore.

It certainly adds up. For me day one i'll get a pro controller, zelda and a 128gb SD card. So £400+

Lucifon

I kinda want the Pro Controller, doesn't seem to be up for preorder yet though - got my Switch and Zelda preorders in at 7am though.

£65 from GAME

You're looking at £465 for the console + 2 games + pro controller.

TightTameCrayfish.gif

Jonnax

I'm wondering if these crazy asscessory prices are so that Nintendo can make money off scalped units.

Where someone buys off a scalper. Then buys a controller.

Saiyan-Rox

Special edition of breath of the wild is up on Amazon for 89.99

Ordered that cause these are usually hard to get but I'm not sure I want the console on launch

Slightly higher than I thought it might be but not totally unexpected with the current price of things, I'm still totally in day one, Zelda is looking far too good to miss. Not fussed about the accessories right now, the console and Zelda will be more than enough for me.

John Wick

You're missing the point, it's still competing with the PS4/XB1 two cheaper consoles that are more robust from a hardware standpoint and yes power does matter wether you like it or not, two consoles that are cheaper because pricing also matters, and to top it off they have a larger more varied library on offer.

Look bias aside let's be pragmatic here, from a consumer point of view is the the switch really an attractive product when placed adjacent to it's competition, who is this console aimed for ?

Spot on!
It's like Nintendo learned fuck all from the Wii U fiasco. Price is king and at that price for just the console it's DOA. The accessories are priced ridiculously as well not to mention the games.

DiGiKerot

No need to be condescending dude.

I guess I was just trying to make an argument for regional pricing instead of just taking the strongest currency and then mindlessly converting to local currency.

But whatever this is happening with all consumer electronics right now so if companies know that people will accept those prices that's fine by me.

Problem is that the product specification is fixed globally - even more-so if software is genuinely region-free. Just because you are selling it in a country where domestic wages or living standards are lower doesn't reduce the manufacturing costs of the hardware, which are all fixed on whatever currency the component and labour charges are in.

We have no particular idea about manufacturing costs and what Nintendos margins are on this. In the short-term, though, where hardware supply is likely to be constrained, pricing things aggressively based on local market pricing expectations rather than globally will just result in the lower margin territories getting screwed over on allocations. If you can charge $300 in the US, but only £200 in the U.K., and you are almost certainly going to sell all those units, then the US units are worth more to the companies bottom line than the U.K. units would be. What is the incentive there to ship any into Europe?

Now, a couple of years into the consoles life cycle when manufacturing costs go down and hardware is less in immediate demand, like, say, the PS4 or XB1, then you can start to take local markets expectations a little more into account. At launch, though? Nah.

Kazooie

Banned
These prices are suicidal. I'll cancel my Amazon order if these prices are accurate. £60 a game. £65 pro controller. £75 Joy Cons. Utterly ludicrous pricing strategy.

Activision hiked prices up a long time ago raising the price of their games to £54.99 way before Brexit. Everyone else followed suit and raised prices too. The majority of games I see in retail are now £49.99 or above. Unless you go online like Amazon or something. This has been happening for some time.

Acti know they can get away with it. Ubi are the other dev that sometimes try £54.99. And yes, £49.99 is the current standard, by pre-Brexit valuation. With the pound having lost 20% of its value thanks to Brexit we can fully expect £59.99 to become the new standard in the future (at least from places like GAME). It's not a question of "if" but "when", just like supermarket prices with the recent Tesco-Unilever fallout. There's a reason they aren't discussing what the agreement was, and its probably because they've both agreed to temporarily absorb the losses. No business will happily absorb a 20% price increase.

Maybe, but game prices crater so fast in the UK after release now that this would just mean that you have to wait a couple of weeks and get a 50% discount.
I could see Game being hit very hard in store by this as they need people to pay full price not wait for sales and if the prices went up by £10 nobody is going to be stupid enough to buy day one physically.

Yeah, certainly won't affect discounts and price drops. It'll only affect people who buy day one from places like GAME and supermarkets, possibly digital prices too but hopefully Sony/MS won't mind eating the difference since they don't have to pay a retailer cut. I'm sure plenty of smaller stores and online stores will stay competitive with price points, and if you're happy waiting a few weeks for games it shouldn't matter anyway given recent price drop trends.

RulkezX

Were they ? Still floating around £250+ for 32GB WiiU here.

Now they are, but even the console was newer ams retailers were still trying to sell them there were very competitive discounts

Example: a quick goigle for old GAF threads show the WiiU premium at 170 in mid 2013

jonno394

Fuck it. High prices and awful launch lineup. After thinking about it all I'm cancelling my preorder and waiting until Christmas when hopefully things might look better.

Nintendo really dropped the ball here. Delaying the consoles until march so games could be ready; what games?

LAA

Yeah £280 is more than I hoped for.
At sub £200, I could have seen it doing well. At £280 it's priced between a PS4 and PS4 Pro for example, which seems a weird place to put it, especially as this will be a secondary console to most, if not all.
Pre ordered anyway in case stock is low, (which knowing Nintendo may be their strategy), but not really sure I'll keep it.
The biggest draw is zelda probably. I could play it on Wii U, but would I rather play it through best way on launch and that's more of an appeal to me.
That said, do we even know if the Wii U version is in fact the superior one? Not sure how the Switch's specs compare to Wii U's.

Top Bottom