• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Update Ver. 4.0.0 Live! Some video capture, transfer profiles/saves

Phoenixus

I wonder if indies will push through quick updates for the recording feature to work in their games.

Perfect opportunity for certain criticised icons to be changed as well. You don't have to wait until next year for Snake Pass, Sumo!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh man this is so hype. New Zelda playthrough incoming!

Nintendo games tend to hold their value for a pretty long time. If someone did have to eventually sell their Nintendo titles, they could likely get some good cash back via ebay.

Some games even go up in value. If you want to sell something like SS or HG you can get more than you paid for. It all depends on the title, but if you're willing to sell rarer games you can make some easy cash. A handful of WiiU and DS games were enough for me to buy a refurb PS4.

StayDead

Assuming they allow you to video capture. It looks like they're not having it work on a system level like screenshot capturing.

I imagine their reasoning is to allow people to opt out like on PS4 of being able to save footage of their game.

Just a hot guess from me but...was this always there?
https://twitter.com/BjoernTheSmexy/status/920888011042123776
DMemw48UIAAv_2I.jpg

It's hidden behind the Formating Options in the System settings menu.
Will we see a regular internet browser soon? Or am I just stupid and too hopeful?

Don’t know what I’d do with thirty seconds... but don’t know what I’d do with video capture anyway really! It’s nice for people that want to share, and it’s nice that Nintendo are incrementally adding features with system updates.

Just please give us a proper Activity Log app please. The Profile page method is totally insufficient.

Atheerios

Murdoch

Just a quick heads up. I just checked for controller updates on a whim and it turns out 4.0 brings a joycon update. I've not checked my pro controller yet.

Tyeforce

You say this like it’s a good financial investment (in the actual meaning of the word) to buy Nintendo games. It isn’t. Ever.

There is no advantage to buying it physical over digital unless you plan on trading it in for less than what you purchased it for to get at least a little bit of your money back. It’s a physical piece of media. Not gold.
There most certainly are other advantages to buying physical over digital. Namely, sharing. I’m a game collector and I never, ever sell my games, yet I always buy physical when I can so I can share games. My husband and I are both big Nintendo fans, and buying only one copy of a game is a lot nicer than having to pay for two copies. I’ll always stick with physical copies for this reason, and I like consistency so I don’t want part of my collection to be physical and part to be digital, unless not available otherwise.

That said, digital has its benefits too, and that’s why my husband prefers digital copies of his games. We get physical copies of every game unless it’s something we each want our own copy of, in which case he gets a digital copy in addition to our single physical copy.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Transferring save data is huge.

This is an update with nice features, but to be fair video was promised in the console presentation pre-launch and the ability to backup your saves and transfer it to another system is a must-have feature (but not a miracle level feature in terms of complexity) which they have only allowed the latter (still requiring you to have both working system at the same time).

Zedark

Does this mean that in the case my upcoming Switch fails and has to be replaced, now my save data won't go to hell but instead they'll be able to put it in the replacement system?

As someone paranoid of these things this is a fucking megaton.

So is pre-purchases and video dfjgnasdjngjasd
Seems like it (unless your og system is bricked to hell, ptobably).

Nice added features, now on to being able to move saves onto an SD card!

30 seconds are barely enough for most titles, but perfect fit for a game like golf story, perhaps the devs will enable it with the next update.
The local game update version sharing it's a nice addition.

Chie Satonaka91

Neo Member
I tested out the functionality earleir with Mario Kart 8. It works well. I'm really hoping this gets rolled out to a bunch of other games soon. Hopefully they can roll this out to a bunch of 3rd party games already released.

synce

I've never seen a company so paranoid about people backing up their savedata. What good is transferring if your data is already corrupt or the console is dead?

Lucifon

Awesome!! Looking forward to trying it. Hopefully it's only 4 games because it's just something devs have to add support for and moving forward everything will have it. Otherwise it becomes a bit of a mess in terms of what supports it what doesn't.

But... I want to share my photos / videos to miiverse not mainstream social media :( Nobody on FB/Twitter gives a damn about my Switch captures.

oti

Banned
30 seconds are barely enough for most titles, but perfect fit for a game like golf story, perhaps the devs will enable it with the next update.
The local game update version sharing it's a nice addition.

I think it's enough for cool little moments. Like salty finishes in Mario Kart, ragdoll moments in Zelda or combos in Mario Rabbids. Uploading videos takes a bit too long for my liking but the recording is seamless at least.

I tested out the functionality earleir with Mario Kart 8. It works well. I'm really hoping this gets rolled out to a bunch of other games soon. Hopefully they can roll this out to a bunch of 3rd party games already released.

Especially indies should use this for easy marketing. "Post a video of our game with the hashtag on Twitter and we'll pick a winner who gets $50 eShop credit" or something. Done.

Planet

Oh Nintendo... -_-
Once the process is complete, the user information, the associated save data, and the software purchased with the user account that is transferred will no longer be available on the source console.
This is just to move your account to the new color variant you purchased this month, while putting the previous one on the shrine. It is not meant for using multiple devices seamlessly.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Oh Nintendo... -_-

This is just to move your account to the new color variant you purchased this month, while putting the previous one on the shrine. It is not meant for using multiple devices seamlessly.

I mean its called transfer and not copy profiles for a reason. They dont want you to buy a game on one account and have it available on a bunch of other systems as well.

Chie Satonaka91

Neo Member
I think it's enough for cool little moments. Like salty finishes in Mario Kart, ragdoll moments in Zelda or combos in Mario Rabbids. Uploading videos takes a bit too long for my liking but the recording is seamless at least.

Especially indies should use this for easy marketing. "Post a video of our game with the hashtag on Twitter and we'll pick a winner who gets $50 eShop credit" or something. Done.

Yeah, it's odd that it only supports 4 games. I'm assuming they are testing how well it works before a more general roll out. Ideally they'd make it a system wide feature so that everyone doesn't have to patch their game.

jariw

I'm kind of expecting at least quite a few indies to patch in this functionality during the upcoming weeks. Bigger 3rd party will probably update this in a slower pace.

Planet

I mean its called transfer and not copy profiles for a reason.
Yep, it's rather just the system transfer known from (3)DS devices. But I got my hopes up a bit, maybe because I didn't have a coffee yet today...
They dont want you to buy a game on one account and have it available on a bunch of other systems as well.
But that works already. More cumbersome than on other systems, but you can do exactly that. Just that you don't have any means to continue your save or have access to unlocked fighters / cars / stages etc. on other systems.

jariw

But that works already. More cumbersome than on other systems, but you can do exactly that. Just that you don't have any means to continue your save or have access to unlocked fighters / cars / stages etc. on other systems.

How?

BooJoh

Maybe it's just in my head, but pre-update I had Auto Brightness on and my brightness at somewhere around 60-75%, and now I feel like setting it to max brightness with Auto Brightness on is dimmer than that. I feel like I need to do some battery tests at different brightness levels with auto on/off to see what I should leave it on.

Yep, it's rather just the system transfer known from (3)DS devices. But I got my hopes up a bit, maybe because I didn't have a coffee yet today...

I would argue it's a little better, since this seems to allow splitting multiple users onto multiple Switch consoles, something I don't think was possible on Wii U.

Murdoch

Maybe it's just in my head, but pre-update I had Auto Brightness on and my brightness at somewhere around 60-75%, and now I feel like setting it to max brightness with Auto Brightness on is dimmer than that. I feel like I need to do some battery tests at different brightness levels with auto on/off to see what I should leave it on.

I would argue it's a little better, since this seems to allow splitting multiple users onto multiple Switch consoles, something I don't think was possible on Wii U.

It's not in your head. I noticed a slightly dimmer screen straight away

BooJoh

It's not in your head. I noticed a slightly dimmer screen straight away

Most people seem to be saying that the bottom end was simply lowered, so if the old bar went from say, 50-100, then now it goes from 25-100, but I feel like the top end has been darkened as well, so more like 25-75.

The fact that it apparently reset everyone's brightness to 50% upon reboot doesn't help with how jarring it is.

Maybe video recording explains some of the small updates that a few games have been receiving over the last week: Namco Museum and Puyo Puyo Tetris got some, and another game I forgot.

All future games should support it by default at any rate.

I tried video capture on Mario Kart 8, and unsurprisingly it does impact screenshot capture. The OS having to wait for a button hold means you can no longer take screenshots in rapid fire succession with zero latency between each quick button press.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Honestly, all this seems a bit half-assed.

Video capture is not a system wide feature and needs to be actively patched into the games.

Transfer profiles/saves should not automatically delete the profile on the source system.

Still no way to back-up your saves.

Looking forward to see how the pre-purchase works, I could almost bet that it works just for some of the 1st party games and that's it.

Egida

Neo Member
Save transfer isn't very useful if we aren't able to upload said saves to some server, but hey, baby steps.

Video recording is great tho.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Most people seem to be saying that the bottom end was simply lowered, so if the old bar went from say, 50-100, then now it goes from 25-100, but I feel like the top end has been darkened as well, so more like 25-75.

The fact that it apparently reset everyone's brightness to 50% upon reboot doesn't help with how jarring it is.

Darkening the 100% brightness setting would seem like a cheap battery saving forced manoeuvre, are you sure they did not also activate the screen saving/dimming brightness reducing feature by default (a feature the system already has)?

Top Bottom