• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo taking Steam approach to digital on Switch, says SteamWorld Dig dev

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
ill believe that after we get nintendo sales.
That is the ONLY reason why steam got big.

Well? Besides Bayonetta PS3 versions were generally better and exclusives were a cut above.

Skyrim.

And I'm not sure that was true at all actually. As a casual observer from the outside, it seemed to me that 360 versions performed better quite a lot of the time. I could be wrong.

Hellshy.

Skyrim.

And I'm not sure that was true at all actually. As a casual observer from the outside, it seemed to me that 360 versions performed better quite a lot of the time. I could be wrong.

This is true for most games at least from the west. Exclusives that optimized and took full advantage were impressive though for the time.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't think so. The switches cpu and memory are up to snuff. And the GPU may be slower but is modern. I see no reason yet to believe the switch can't run any game a ps4 can in a lower resolution.
Except not every game is going to stress the GPU or CPU in the same ways. It's just kind of early to be assuming "runs anything" means what people would presumably want it to mean. I don't doubt the system is capable of surprising people, but there's very little to base those comparisons off of.

Fredrik

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be impressed or worried here... It really doesn't look good there imo. Snake Pass almost give you the idea that Switch and PS4 is equally powered, the differences are very small in that game, but here... Yeah, no. :p
Granted, I haven't actually played TW3 on PS4 but the framerate in the second "less severe" example looks horrible from my point of view. :/

Still, I get your point, with enough downscaling we could run just about anything on just about any hardware.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Skyrim.

Usually 360 multiplatform games played much better, and were superior in resolution and frame rate. The only times PS3 multiplatform were better was when it was the lead system for development.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be impressed or worried here... It really doesn't look good there imo. Snake Pass almost give you the idea that Switch and PS4 is equally powered, the differences are very small in that game, but here... Yeah, no. :p
Granted, I haven't actually played TW3 on PS4 but the framerate in the second "less severe" example looks horrible from my point of view. :/

Still, I get your point, with enough downscaling we could run just about anything on just about any hardware.

The Switch is well optimized for UE4, which is why Snake Pass looks fairly close to the PS4 version. Other engines will have to be ported and optimized in other ways, so it may not always look like the Snake Pass comparison.

Also I think those Witcher 3 PC comparisons are a decent bit below what the hypothetical Switch version would look like.

Well? Besides Bayonetta PS3 versions were generally better and exclusives were a cut above.

That's some revisionist history if I ever saw it.

Aggregated Eurogamer face-off "wins":

sYhXzs9.png

Source: https://misterslimm.wordpress.com/v...box-360-vs-ps3-head-to-head-face-off-results/

It is well-known that PS3 had a weaker GPU, a split memory architecture, and a stronger CPU. It's been discussed at great length. First-party developers, with a huge Sony financial backing, were able to exploit the hardware's areas of strength. Interestingly enough, Sony intended to launch with a much weaker GPU than the already mediocre RSX (instead relying on Cell). The whole PS3 project was like a Ken Kutaragi fever dream that they eventually managed to piece together and bring to market.

Linkup

Just brought Steamworld Heist off of Steam last week, great free aiming SRPGs like this aren't easy to come by so I'm really enjoying it. Here's to hoping the dev is successful on Switch.

i-Jest

I see Nintendo wants to do it right with the Switch. Good, draconian region lock and old outdated approval policies need to be things of the past.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The part about walking straight up to talk to indies, that should have been what they do since prior Wii U launch. They should have been more open and responsive to talking to 3rd parties and indies without the red tapes. I have no idea why Nintendo choose to be so reclusive and moronic in this aspect especially the past years.

they should have been taking a much more pro-active approach to (re)establish relationship with them, including the indies. But nope, they think that they will instead make their consoles sell via their 1st party games, and then delusional enough to think these 3rd party companies will come begging to release their games on their systems once it has high sales number. They decided that blocking Isaac of Binding from 3DS is fine back then. They didn't do much to fix their reputation.

Its great that they are more open now, but there're still lots of works to do and I am not sure if it is already too late. They shouldn't be complacent and continue to court more and even already released titles.

FyreWulff

I'm not sure what reality you were in but outside of exclusives and some late late gen games where developers switched over to starting on PS3 first then porting to 360, the PS3 versions of games were always known to be of lower framerate/resolution/stability in general.

This is my favourite thing about the Switch, nearly every game release has been a single release shared across every single eShop region and country configuration.

The game is where everything starts from, not the country of the eShop or store it's being sold in.

The only time there have been exceptions to this rule is with boxed product that has different publishing rights - for instance Puyo Puyo Tetris was published under license in Europe by Deep Silver, so the North American and European versions of the games have separate eShop listings. If a boxed version of that game didn't exist, Atlus USA would have just published one single version of the game.

Top Bottom