• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo taking Steam approach to digital on Switch, says SteamWorld Dig dev

Shiggy

The old process for getting games on Nintendo platforms sounds horrendous. Why the hell would Nintendo make it so hard to get games on their platforms?

Isn't that still the case on Xbox One and PS4? It's something from an era during which the world was less connected.

So the switch can run Forza or HZD? I'm confused, how is that possible when it barely runs BotW better than my WiiU?

XBox One couldn't run Horizon: Zero Dawn, while Snake Pass hasn't seen "significant upgrades" compared to the Switch version, which, BTW, had a lot less time and affection spent on it than the others, so, your point is!? Horizon: Zero Dawn was designed with the PS4 in mind, and optimised for that purpose. Similarly, PS4 couldn't run Forza - It wasn't designed for that purpose. X4 consoles couldn't run Nintendo Land or Super Mario Maker, or 5-player local multiplayer on Sonic & ASRT, or other Wii U titles and editions in their intended capacity, because they don't offer second screen support out of the box. That isn't a slight on either console, it's just the way they're designed. Still, I don't understand this preposterous idea that the Switch has showed its full potential at launch - If Wii U launch titles and "third party" port-jobs reflected the true potential of that hardware, then LOZ: Breath Of The Wild, Xenoblade Chronicles X and even Mario Kart 8 wouldn't have been possible on it in the first place.

LOZ: Breath Of The Wild is a Wii U title at heart. It was made for a console with a different architecture, etc., and designed primarily with the Wii U in mind. Simply putting it on more powerful hardware doesn't mean it will do everything better by orders of magnitude, especially when it wasn't optimised to a point of making the Wii U owner feel that they got a lesser experience. It's also worth remembering that there were games that performed better on 2013 PS4s than the PS4 Pro. Still, the worlds of LOZ: Breath Of The Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles X are bigger than that of numerous open world titles (The Witcher 3, for one...), combined in some cases, and it's no slouch on the hardware, given the level of physics-driven gameplay, and intelligence afforded to the wildlife. Furthermore, not one developer has spoken of "significant downgrades", while Bethesda has explicitly stated that they aren't in the business of downgrading their games - that publisher is supporting the Switch, and that should be all anybody needs to know. So, If the Switch doesn't get a game, it won't be due to its specs.

At some point I just stopped checking my Australian Wii U eShop, because I knew that new game I was interested in just wouldn't ever appear on it. It was like a bad joke; I don't know why it happened, but indie games just didn't ever make it to the Australian eShop.

Thank goodness that's going to change (or that I can at least buy stuff from other regions now if it doesn't).

Fredrik

That last paragraph will rattle some people who wrote off the Switch immediately.
Snake Pass is not the best example on how Switch can run everything though. It's a fantastic game, already completed it, but the levels are floating tiny Islands with very little going on further away. Running a big open-world game with Unreal Engine 4 on Switch might be a bit trickier.

From saying that region lock was for legal reasons as to why it existed to no region lock and 1 certification process. Good job Nintendo, you finally did it.

Glad it's such a comfortable environment for devs

Snake Pass is not the best example on how Switch can run everything though. It's a fantastic game, already completed it, but the levels are floating tiny Islands with very little going on further away. Running a big open-world game with Unreal Engine 4 on Switch might be a bit trickier.

Snake Pass is a very demanding game. This was clear when you realise the resolution of the PS4 version, which is still running at 30fps.

And before anyone says "lazy/inexperienced devs", Digital Foundry literally said the game is demanding due to the physics involved with the movements of the snake.

Snake Pass is a very demanding game. This was clear when you realise the resolution of the PS4 version, which is still running at 30fps.

And before anyone says "lazy/inexperienced devs", Digital Foundry literally said the game is demanding due to the physics involved with the movements of the snake.

It goes to show how some posters are clueless lol.

Saying it wasn't a demanding game.

It goes to show how some posters are clueless lol.

Saying it wasn't a demanding game.
People think Snake Pass isn't demanding? There is a ton going on in the background. It's surprising how well it looks and runs on Switch. Even then I think they could optimize a bit further, which says a lot.

I don't get why some people are so skeptical about the claim that the Switch can run PS4/XBO games. I have to assume these people aren't familiar with PC gaming?

The difference between Ultra and Low settings is quite vast and that's before you even touch the resolution, which can be one of the biggest improvements to how a game runs.

cgcg

A blurry mess sub-hd version of a game compared to a version on a system that came out over 3 years ago. Sounds great.

TLZ

Banned
Yeah you said that already.

But yes it can run anything if there's enough incentive to optimize/downgrade it enough. Portability might be such an incentive, depending on how well the Switch sells.

So we have a dev saying it's possible. You clearly disagree. Now instead of repeating that over and over, how about you offer a reason why it's not possible?

Lol did I say otherwise?

Of course it can run anything. I just quoted it because I found it silly he's stating the obvious. But how good it runs anything is another story.

Hellshy.

I don't think so. The switches cpu and memory are up to snuff. And the GPU may be slower but is modern. I see no reason yet to believe the switch can't run any game a ps4 can in a lower resolution.

How much memory capapity and bandwidth is in the switch? I think both the games he mentioned look good but are far from the most demanding no matter what'd under the hood. Both games genres seem to lend themselves well to added polish. I think if devs pick a certain art styles than it could happen.

Do you just look at graphics and say "oh pretty, that's impossible then"?
Not saying it's impossible, just wondering how.
If you love to play videogames you should try to learn the basics of their technical side.
I'm not saying it's a bad idea but it is in no way relevant to my enjoyment of video games. Sometimes knowing all that stuff can lessen the magic , too. I don't typically care about tech or specs or graphics. My favorite games this gen aren't focused on any of that. Fun and game play matter most to me

atbigelow

Absolutely love that the Switch dropped region locking. Not just in releases, but in QA checks. The process used to be way ridiculous, but just took time to shuffle away.

Very excited.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Not sure about RE7 on Switch but Capcom are looking to bring the RE engine over to Switch:
http://nintendoeverything.com/more-...ry-and-capcom-targeting-re-engine-for-switch/

Keep in mind RE Engine might be used for a variety of titles.

Will be used for a variety of titles. It's their latest internal engine, it being named RE Engine apparently doesn't have anything to do with the name Resident Evil :p

Not saying it's impossible, just wondering how.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea but it is in no way relevant to my enjoyment of video games. Sometimes knowing all that stuff can lessen the magic , too. I don't typically care about tech or specs or graphics. My favorite games this gen aren't focused on any of that. Fun and game play matter most to me

Optimization. It's not like people are saying it won't come at the cost of graphical effects or resolution :p. But if Snake Pass is anything to go by (and I don't see why it wouldn't, it's a fairly intensive UE4 title) it can be done without sacrificing the overall look and feel of the game.

XBox One couldn't run Horizon: Zero Dawn, while Snake Pass hasn't seen "significant upgrades" compared to the Switch version, which, BTW, had a lot less time and affection spent on it than the others, so, your point is!? Horizon: Zero Dawn was designed with the PS4 in mind, and optimised for that purpose. Similarly, PS4 couldn't run Forza - It wasn't designed for that purpose.

You realise the base PS4 and Xbox One are near identical, spec-wise? Horizon could be tweaked to run on the Xbone, likewise with Forza with regards to the PS4

So the switch can run Forza or HZD? I'm confused, how is that possible when it barely runs BotW better than my WiiU?

Switch ran BotW better than WiiU with ZERO optimisation.

Switch could run any PS4 or Xbox One game with downgraded visual detail and resolution.

Here another massive spoiler. Horizon (along with any other 'next gen') could run on a PS3.

Hellshy.

Will be used for a variety of titles. It's their latest internal engine, it being named RE Engine apparently doesn't have anything to do with the name Resident Evil :p

Optimization. It's not like people are saying it won't come at the cost of graphical effects or resolution :p. But if Snake Pass is anything to go by (and I don't see why it wouldn't, it's a fairly intensive UE4 title) it can be done without sacrificing the overall look and feel of the game.

This is going to sound like I'm sitting on the switch but I am not. I really like mine and love zelda but I think that title is a better game to look at when someone thinks large scale and big budget. A good art style will go a long way.

I dnot own snake pass yet but hear it looks very good however it looks less demanding in so many way to me than a shooter, rpg, or action game. Are there any enimies on screen? What is traversal like? Draw distance ?

Hermii

Imagine if this was a positive thread about how Nintendo is making life easier for devs. Instead it's a thread about whether Switch can run horizon :(

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Switch ran BotW better than WiiU with ZERO optimisation.

Switch could run any PS4 or Xbox One game with downgraded visual detail and resolution.

This is the new line I keep seeing repeated in regards to Switch, as if this is the first time in history a weaker game system could run the same games as the more powerful ones.

Atari 2600 ran games that were on Colecovision and arcades. The Sega Genesis had Virtua Fighter 2. So yeah, anything's possible if you downgrade it. That doesn't mean publisher's are going to bother doing it.

This is the new line I keep seeing repeated in regards to Switch, as if this is the first time in history a weaker game system could run the same games as the more powerful ones.

Atari 2600 ran games that were on Colecovision and arcades. The Sega Genesis had Virtua Fighter 2. So yeah, anything's possible if you downgrade it. That doesn't mean publisher's are going to bother doing it.

Nobody is saying they would bother. You keep seeing that line because there are people who don't believe it is possible.

Imagine if this was a positive thread about how Nintendo is making life easier for devs. Instead it's a thread about whether Switch can run horizon :(
Some people will say anything to discredit Nintendo. Mixture of hatred and jealousy that they still make their own hardware instead of releasing games on their hardware of choice.

Fredrik

People think Snake Pass isn't demanding? There is a ton going on in the background. It's surprising how well it looks and runs on Switch. Even then I think they could optimize a bit further, which says a lot.
I would still like to see something like The Witcher 3 run on Switch to accept the claim that it can run everything.

ggx2ac

Dev: With Nintendo's new QA process, we can make one version of a game and patch it when we need to add more language options​ to release it in more regi...

Guy: Just tell me if the Switch can run Forza Horizon Zero Dawn!

LordKano

I would still like to see something like The Witcher 3 run on Switch to accept the claim that it can run everything.

I just called CDProjekt, they've agreed that it's a good idea to start a huge porting project just to prove a few people on a video game message board right.

Shiggy

Dev: With Nintendo's new QA process, we can make one version of a game and patch it when we need to add more language options​ to release it in more regi...

Guy: Just tell me if the Switch can run Forza Horizon Zero Dawn!

Are you some troll? The dev also said:

I think if developers put their mind to it and optimise the game for the Switch, it can run anything.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nobody is saying they would bother. You keep seeing that line because there are people who don't believe it is possible.

I can't say I've seen it but it's silly to think that there's something out there the Switch can't run. Just a matter of how much it has to be downgraded. Some games would require bigger downgrades then others.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I just called CDProjekt, they've agreed that it's a good idea to start a huge porting project just to prove a few people on a video game message board right.

You must use your powers for good. I demand you call Retro and have them work on Metroid Prime 4.

This is going to sound like I'm sitting on the switch but I am not. I really like mine and love zelda but I think that title is a better game to look at when someone thinks large scale and big budget. A good art style will go a long way.

I dnot own snake pass yet but hear it looks very good however it looks less demanding in so many way to me than a shooter, rpg, or action game. Are there any enimies on screen? What is traversal like? Draw distance ?

I'd recommend you watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX7Rn9YUXm8
It's Digital Foundry's tech analysis of the game and should give you a clearer view on what the game does under the hood (And how well the Switch version compares to the other platforms)

KingBroly

Banned
Trading Cards incoming?

Nintendo needs to boost their store presence a bit. It is very thin right now, but soon it'll need categories (Probably does already with all of those NeoGeo games)

hemo memo

Gold Member
When they say a console can't run a particular game, what they really mean is= this is not worth the invesment to get this game to run on this console.

_PsiFire_

It would be nice to see some more evidence of this, especially from the bigger publishers. Good to hear though, as always.
All of the bigger publishers were taking a wait and see approach - assuming the Switch would fail.

Nintendo hit it out of the park with the Switch and, well, until they scramble to get something together the Indies who got in early will reap the rewards.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'm pretty sure the guy being interviewed (Julius), is not a developer. I believe he's a designer (?) at Image & Form. He's probably just passing on knowledge from Image & Form devs, but that is something to keep in mind.

Zedark

All of the bigger publishers were taking a wait and see approach - assuming the Switch would fail.

Nintendo hit it out of the park with the Switch and, well, until they scramble to get something together the Indies who got in early will reap the rewards.
And they seem to be doing just that, what with Snake Pass, Snipperclips and FAST RMX dominating the Switch eShops charts, and with Lego City Undercover seemingly on its way to the top as well. The early adopters really do seem to be mostly striking gold.

StereoVsn

Well, finally. Once Nintendo improves online functionality and eshop, they actually will have a great portable product.

While a particular indie won't sell devices (unless Minecraft), broad spectrum of games, no region lock and easy publishing should make a difference long term.

Good for Nintendo. Now, get those 3rd party RPGs on it. Playing P5 at home and through remote play made me want it on a handheld device even more :).

Hellshy.

You must use your powers for good. I demand you call Retro and have them work on Metroid Prime 4.

I'd recommend you watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX7Rn9YUXm8
It's Digital Foundry's tech analysis of the game and should give you a clearer view on what the game does under the hood (And how well the Switch version compares to the other platforms)

I watched it and it is very impressive however draw distance is low due to the stages and design of the game. It probably doesn't hurt that it's a slower paced game,no enimie's , no combat, level based design. The game does have a lot going on under the hood but also does not if that makes sense. I will be picking this up though on switch regardless though the ps4 pro version is tempting

Top Bottom