• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo taking Steam approach to digital on Switch, says SteamWorld Dig dev

Cerium

I would argue that the title is misleading if the actual point the developer is making is not one of the top, say, twenty things you might think upon reading the title.

If I was going to pick the lede I would probably have gone with the last paragraph but I thought it was safest to go with the article title.

Lexxism

I've never tried this. Do I need to create a Japanese account or can I just switch regions? I'd like to download the Dragon Quest Heroes demo.
You can do either. Just take note that I think you will need to use all of your funds first before you can change your account's region. Or just create a new one.

antibolo

Banned
I've never tried this. Do I need to create a Japanese account or can I just switch regions? I'd like to download the Dragon Quest Heroes demo.

Dragon Quest Heroes I + II is a bad example of what I was talking about because it is one of those few games that is Japanese only. Yes the separate games exist on other consoles but there has not been a localization of the Switch compilation announced.

But yes, you can download the demo from a Japanese account.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Honestly, there's so many examples on PC where low/medium or medium/high or high/ultra are barely noticable, except for some unknown drop in performances. Graphics are hitting a curve of diminishing returns in terms of eye candies vs power required. Chasing the 4k's tail will make this even more true for years to come.

Not to mention most peoples would barely tell the differences of settings if it were not for dedicated websites analysing it. I don't know how many times i used nvidia sliders to compare witcher settings and not seeing a damn difference for minutes.

Beautiful games now are mostly dependant on the studio behind it, the art and the investment. Barely any 3rd parties out there even surpassed TLOU on PS3.
Snake pass is a huge example of people not knowing the specifics and just assuming stuff

conpfreak

That last line makes me hopeful for games like KH3 to be on Switch. I wouldn't hope for Ffxv or FFVII remake, but Kh would be good.

I don't see why KH3 or the FFVII Remake wouldn't be ported of the Switch takes off (it looks as if it will). They're UE4.The issue with FFXV is that the engine doesn't seems to scale well. It barely runs well on the original PS4/Xbox One. That's a dev issue.

Phamit

Technically there are probably a lot of titles publisher could port to Switch, but it's always a question if it makes sense. When you game looks at the end like a bad version or "bad port" on the Switch, it's probably not worth it.

Probably some 60 fps titles could still look good if you reduce the framerate and downgrade some visuals

OryoN

Ugh, still more Switch development/hardware prise? Man, these devs are really taking this Switch launch "PR lip-service" thing way too seriously. It has been over a month now, and while I should commend this joint effort - in the developer community - to keep this act going...the gig is up! You can stop pretending to like the Wii U 2.0 Switch and its development environment.

#fakenews

It seems obvious enough to me that Nintendo has to court Indie devs as their 3rd party support. The big developers aren't going to port PS4 or Xbox One games unless they get financial incentive from Nintendo or the platform user base proves viable enough.

That really only leaves Nintendo with courting Indie devs to fill out the software lineup. And the fact that those games tend to be of smaller size will help with storage issues and download times on the go.

foxuzamaki

I saw this in action at Pax East

Even Nintendo’s approach to how they get new indies to join the Switch family – nowadays, they see a good game at a convention and they just walk straight up to them and ask them to develop for Switch.

Damon Baker was walking around and chatting up indie devs - I think he was trying to get the fighting game Fantasy Strike (Ex STreet Fighter Dev I think)

Then he was over at a few others at the Mega Booth, so they are actively recruiting.
Man Damon Baker putting in the WORK

antibolo

Banned
Ugh, still more Switch development/hardware prise? Man, these devs are really taking this Switch launch "PR lip-service" thing way too seriously. It has been over a month now, and while I should commend this joint effort - in the developer community - to keep this act going...the gig is up! You can stop pretending to like the Wii U 2.0 Switch and its development environment.

#fakenews

And you are accusing them of lying because...?

#fakenews

when-nick-young-the-basketball-player-met-nick-young-the-meme-body-image-1485378510.jpg

foxuzamaki

Same.

You aren't going to perform miracles and suddenly get high end PS4 AAA games running the same on Switch. Or at all.

Case by case.

Better than Vita vs PS3, but probably not THAT much better.
Better than vita is a understatement I hope you know that

It seems obvious enough to me that Nintendo has to court Indie devs as their 3rd party support. The big developers aren't going to port PS4 or Xbox One games unless they get financial incentive from Nintendo or the platform user base proves viable enough.

That really only leaves Nintendo with courting Indie devs to fill out the software lineup. And the fact that those games tend to be of smaller size will help with storage issues and download times on the go.

Pretty much. Helped that a lot of indie games are developed on common engines which the Switch has expressly targeted support for. Hence Snake Pass made the (heh) switch so quickly. With its release, many devs now have a point of reference they can look to when considering porting or otherwise developing for the system.

You have to create a Japanese account.
Or you Switch your account's region to Japan before going on eshop, but if you have some money on it you will loose it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Dragon Quest Heroes I + II is in Japanese only. Yes the separate games exist on other consoles but there has not been a localization of the Switch compilation announced.

But yes, you can download the demo from a Japanese account.

It's coming to the US with Nintendo handling the publishing duties. I might have to give it a shot. I've been playing DQH on PC and would like to see first hand how the Switch version is.

Clickbait title/headline doesn't make it clear that the "Steam approach," in this case, refers to distribution rather than, say, frequent sales and a user-generated content system.

Dynomutt

I'm gonna get crucified.

I was gonna start a thread about a concern I had but decided not too.

More then ever were hitting diminishing returns on consoles. I'm not denying that games don't look better than ever but they have for the while. I truly feel console manufacturers are pandering to this false narrative for the need for cutting edge graphics.

I love my PS4 Pro but not because it's powerful but because it is where I play games I like. I feel like we're treading into a dangerous territory where the market is being squeezed for the the of power when so many other advancements could be made.

I don't know maybe I am over reacting but I feel really weird about gaming We're being sold on issues that don't. Even Gaf as oppose to asking the benefit of having great AAA's on the go people simply say if it's on PS4/Xbox Switch can't run it. STEEP begs to differ and I a certain with enough optimizations not all but many others can too.

By the way I do not own a Switch.

I'm gonna get crucified.

More then ever were hitting diminishing returns on consoles. I'm not denying that games don't look better than ever but they have for the while. I truly feel console manufacturers are pandering to this false narrative for the need for cutting edge graphics.

I love my PS4 Pro but not because it's powerful but because it is where I play games I like. I feel like we're treading into a dangerous territory where the market is being squeezed for the the of power when so many other advancements could be made.

I don't know maybe I am over reacting but I feel really weird about gaming We're being sold on issues that don't. Even Gaf as oppose to asking the benefit of having great AAA's on the go people simply say if it's on PS4/Xbox Switch can't run it. STEEP begs to differ and I a certain with enough optimizations not all but many others can too.

I found this video quite interesting about Ultra Settings on PC
PS4 Pro and Scorpio make some legitimate improvements in the way of higher resolutions and frame rates but I feel visuals became good enough years ago. I'm more impressed by animations and art styles than I am by polygon count.

I'm gonna get crucified.

I disagree completely. Better graphics have literally always been desirable. It's not new. And no, current games aren't anywhere near any limit.

People have been saying "these graphics are good enough" for 20 years now, and it has never been true. I sincerely hope the progress of graphical tech and fidelity doesn't slow. I want true photorealism, and beyond if there is such a thing.

Capcom have said that they're considering a RE7 switch version

But like I said, I'd appreciate some evidence rather than devs "considering" ports and games. Announcements would be nice.

I'm gonna get crucified.

I absolutely agree with you and also agree that GAF seems like a hostile place to express that opinion. But I'm not sure if that has much to do with this thread. If you make a thread about it I'll be sure to participate.

I absolutely agree with you and also agree that GAF seems like a hostile place to express that opinion. But I'm not sure if that has much to do with this thread. If you make a thread about it I'll be sure to participate.

Yeah for sure, we probably shouldn't drift off topic here.

FinalAres

I disagree completely. Better graphics have literally always been desirable. It's not new. And no, current games aren't anywhere near any limit.

People have been saying "these graphics are good enough" for 20 years now, and it has never been true. I sincerely hope the progress of graphical tech and fidelity doesn't slow. I want true photorealism, and beyond if there is such a thing.

I would say it already has slowed. The gaps between ps1 and ps2, as well as between ps2 and ps3 were much wider than ps3 to PS4. This was despite ps3 having such a long lifespan. Maybe not in terms of numbers of flops, ram and almighty pixels etc, but certainly in terms of actual noticeable difference in graphics quality.

Listonosh

So this line kind of got me at first "They make sure every QA gate is good enough." At first I thought, well this is a good thing, that means that Nintendo took the time to make sure that everything that made its way into the store was of the highest quality.

But then I remembered Wii Ware...

foxuzamaki

So this line kind of got me at first "They make sure every QA gate is good enough." At first I thought, well this is a good thing, that means that Nintendo took the time to make sure that everything that made its way into the store was of the highest quality.

But then I remembered Wii Ware...
Wiiware was 10+ years ago

I'm gonna get crucified.

I found this video quite interesting about Ultra Settings on PC
PS4 Pro and Scorpio make some legitimate improvements in the way of higher resolutions and frame rates but I feel visuals became good enough years ago. I'm more impressed by animations and art styles than I am by polygon count.

I honestly think there's only a few major areas left where gaming graphics needs to get right before we really hit diminishing returns. One area is specifically being addressed by OTOY's Brigade path-tracing renderer, which could very well bring real-time rendering over the edge into rivalling CGI. And that's gonna be in UE4 and Unity at some point this year or the next.

Listonosh

Wiiware was 10+ years ago

Oh I know, I'm also sure they were talking about older QA processes

For clarification, that part of the quote was referring to the old ways of getting games on their systems

Publishing for Nintendo consoles has been, in the past, not a nightmare, but pretty close. They make sure every QA gate is good enough. It takes months, and you have to do that for every region, and if you fail, it takes even longer.

Lizardus

Breath of the Wild is as AAA as you can get and its on the Switch but not all developers will have resources and ambition in similar capacity to Nintendo.

It's really encouraging to hear about Nintendo actually reaching out to developers, instead of acting as though it's a rare honor to be allowed to developer for their system.

It's something they've been paying lip service to for like 20+ years. I've long since said I'll believe it's changed when I see it. Maybe that day has finally arrived.

KtSlime

If I am reading this correctly, it means it is YachtClub's fault Shovel Knight Treasure Trove is not yet available in Japan?

Good on Nintendo taking this approach, but shame on indie developers for not making their games available globally.

FinalAres

I don't see why KH3 or the FFVII Remake wouldn't be ported of the Switch takes off (it looks as if it will). They're UE4.The issue with FFXV is that the engine doesn't seems to scale well. It barely runs well on the original PS4/Xbox One. That's a dev issue.

With FFVII I just think the graphics are going to be beyond what the Switch can do. SE are really good at pushing consoles to their limits and FF is the centrepiece of this. It's graphics are a part of its brand.

Kh is less about graphics though, so I could see a downgrade being possible.

Elfteiroh

I know the Switch is Iwata's baby, but I wonder if Tatsumi Kimishima is largely responsible for the change in culture and even ideology that is seemingly happening at Nintendo.
Nah, the region unlocking was started by Iwata. He just had to make changes slowly, to keep everyones' thrust inside the company.

Top Bottom