• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo taking Steam approach to digital on Switch, says SteamWorld Dig dev

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think some of you have to realize that these games will need to be translated into japanese/chinese/korean/etc. and these are small devs, thats actually why a publisher is needed because they would take care of all that stuff for them.

I think some of you have to realize that these games will need to be translated into japanese/chinese/korean/etc. and these are small devs, thats actually why a publisher is needed because they would take care of all that stuff for them.

The big problem with publishing games in Japan is that a Japanese subsidiary or independent publisher in Japan is necessary to get your game released there. Why? Because the Japanese rating organization CERO demands a Japanese office. And the console manufacturers demand a CERO rating for each game that releases on their system (probably by law, I haven't looked that up, but that seems pretty standard to me).

So to get your game onto the Japanese Nintendo eShop or PSN hasn't become any easier. But because the Switch is now region-free, Japanese gamers can get their games from the US/EU eShops. As long as developers have a Japanese language option is their game (available in US/EU, but not in Japan), Japanese gamers can still play their games in Japanese while developers avoid that CERO hurdle. The best thing is still publication on the Japanese eShop tho imo.

Thread title slightly misleading. Came into the thread expecting it to be about how Nintendo will now let any Tom , Dick or Harry publish any old shite on the e-shop.

KtSlime

The big problem with publishing games in Japan is that a Japanese subsidiary or independent publisher in Japan is necessary to get your game released there. Why? Because the Japanese rating organization CERO demands a Japanese office. And the console manufacturers demand a CERO rating for each game that releases on their system (probably by law, I haven't looked that up, but that seems pretty standard to me).

So to get your game onto the Japanese Nintendo eShop or PSN hasn't become any easier. But because the Switch is now region-free, Japanese gamers can get their games from the US/EU eShops. As long as developers have a Japanese language option is their game (available in US/EU, but not in Japan), Japanese gamers can still play their games in Japanese while developers avoid that CERO hurdle. The best thing is still publication on the Japanese eShop tho imo.

How do you propose we do this seeing how the American store does not accept yen nor Japanese credit cards?

ggx2ac

Now I'm wondering what DotEmu did because they're the publisher for WonderBoy: The Dragon's Trap and that game will be available on the Japanese eShop and PSN on the same day it releases in the west.

Some kind of unified game library would be great, but im still going to have to buy all of the games ive bought twice already (physical, then VC).

How do you propose we do this seeing how the American store does not accept yen nor Japanese credit cards?

The prepaid cards. There also are websites that send you a prepaid card code directly after purchase (at least here in Europe).

Now I'm wondering what DotEmu did because they're the publisher for WonderBoy: The Dragon's Trap and that game will be available on the Japanese eShop and PSN on the same day it releases in the west.

Also in Japan? It doesn't show up in the upcoming games section in the eShop from my Japanese Switch account and I can't find it on the Japanese website of Nintendo.

ggx2ac

Yeah, not worth the hassle let alone the cost, a $20 card is going for ¥6000 after handling fees.

I don't know what you're looking at but I can see the price of a ¥2000 eShop card is ¥2000 yen and they email you the code after purchase.

Unless you are looking at a US$20 eshop card which is wrong since it won't work on the Japanese eShop.

Also in Japan? It doesn't show up in the upcoming games section in the eShop from my Japanese Switch account and I can't find it on the Japanese website of Nintendo.

FAQ:

The game will be available in Japan for Switch and PS4.
Link: http://www.thedragonstrap.com/blog/post/201704_DevDiary3/

Cerium

The prepaid cards. There also are websites that send you a prepaid card code directly after purchase (at least here in Europe).

Amazon does that.

No hassle.

I don't know what you're looking at but I can see the price of a ¥2000 eShop card is ¥2000 yen and they email you the code after purchase.

Unless you are looking at a US$20 eshop card which is wrong since it won't work on the Japanese eShop.

He's trying to get credit for the American shop.

That's interesting. I don't know, but since Sega is credited as a trademark holder at the end of the trailer, maybe they're publishing it for them? I don't know. Definitely interesting to see what's happening here, but what I described above is how it always used to work in Japan.

ggx2ac

That's interesting. I don't know, but since Sega is credited as a trademark holder at the end of the trailer, maybe they're publishing it for them? I don't know. Definitely interesting to see what's happening here, but what I described above is how it always used to work in Japan.

I thought it would've had to do with IARC but it seems that CERO is still not apart of that coalition.

FyreWulff

So this line kind of got me at first "They make sure every QA gate is good enough." At first I thought, well this is a good thing, that means that Nintendo took the time to make sure that everything that made its way into the store was of the highest quality.

But then I remembered Wii Ware...

QA has never been about game quality, it's always been about games not detonating the console, and Nintendo has always had particularly stringent requirements.

Nintendo Seal of Quality meant nothing more than Nintendo had trademarked the Seal of Quality and that the game developer/publisher was licensed to sell games, because if you didn't and put that shit on your box anyway then Nintendo could sue you into oblivion.

KtSlime

Uh, you realise you can buy a digital code for the exact price right?

I can buy games off the American eShop with Japanese digital codes?

Link: http://www.thedragonstrap.com/blog/post/201704_DevDiary3/

I think there is a misunderstanding. I want to buy games such as Shovel Knight and the Binding of Isaac, which are not available in Japan from the American eShop, so to my understanding I have to import a digital card from America to do so. Is this not right? Am I confused?

Cerium

Yes, I get an warning from Amazon telling me I need to change to the Amazon America store and that the item is not available in my country (Japan).
Are you trying to order from an American Amazon account or a Japanese one?

Because I had to make a separate account on Amazon Japan to import from there.

If that fails and you're being IP blocked you can try to have someone in the states buy it for you and pass along the code.

Genio88

He says that developer can port every game on Switch and that it's close to XB1 and PS4 in power, so should i believe a developer or gaffers?

ggx2ac

Yes, I get an warning from Amazon telling me I need to change to the Amazon America store and that the item is not available in my country (Japan).

It's very likely you have to make an Amazon account on the American store just like how I had to make an Amazon account on the Japanese store to be able to buy eShop cards from there.

I don't know if the US Amazon store accepts credit cards from overseas.

KtSlime

Are you trying to order from an American Amazon account or a Japanese one?

Because I had to make a separate account on Amazon Japan to import from there.

If that fails and you're being IP blocked you can try to have someone in the states buy it for you and pass along the code.
A Japanese one because that is where I live. If I make a American Amazon account will I be able to pay for the card with my Japanese credit card?

Mik2121

So easy to release in all regions and yet the Japanese eShop is absolutely barren (for the exception of a million NEO GEO games).

Cerium

A Japanese one because that is where I live. If I make a American Amazon account will I be able to pay for the card with my Japanese credit card?

I don't know for sure. I do know that the reverse works, as I have ordered stuff off Amazon Japan with my American card.

Mik2121

Probably because you need to translate the games in Japanese.
Not on Steam, so that's one approach Nintendo isn't taking :p

Edit: And I'm obviously talking about Steam access from Japan for games. They usually release all the games at the same time and then some will get Japanese support sometime down the line. I like that approach because otherwise I would only be able to play an incredibly low percentage of games available on the store.

KtSlime

I don't know for sure. I do know that the reverse works, as I have ordered stuff off Amazon Japan with my American card.

Thanks I will give it a try when I get home from Hanami.

Not on Steam, so that's one approach Nintendo isn't taking :p

Edit: And I'm obviously talking about Steam access from Japan for games. They usually release all the games at the same time and then some will get Japanese support sometime down the line. I like that approach because otherwise I would only be able to play an incredibly low percentage of games available on the store.
I prefer this approach as well.

ggx2ac

So easy to release in all regions and yet the Japanese eShop is absolutely barren (for the exception of a million NEO GEO games).

I saw this.

Basically it means Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap better chart at number one in Japan on release week!

Jubenhimer

I know the Switch is Iwata's baby, but I wonder if Tatsumi Kimishima is largely responsible for the change in culture and even ideology that is seemingly happening at Nintendo.

Nah, much of these things were ones that Iwata likely have been pushing for for years, but couldn't due to them being shot down by the board. Remember, Nintendo is a Kyoto company, if you read Dan Adelman's interview, he explains how Nintendo actually operates. Yeah Iwata made mistakes, but he wasn't some stuck-in-the-past traditionalist Nintendo is often accused of being. He was actually one of the people fighting for a modernization of the company.

Mergesort

Pft, what kind of comparison is that? I can keep my steam games even if I buy a new pc. That's not going to happen with switch games and older games.

I'm pretty sure there's no region-specific certification on Xbox either. So now Sony is the only one still doing this outdated crap. It's so stupid to have separate PSN stores for NA and EU.
there is no PSN store for EU, some EU member states can't even sign up to PSN, that's how digital Sony is 4 years after PS4 launch

btrboyev

Is the sentiment that "if you want to port something to Switch you probably can" really that controversial?

It's more of a situation whether it's worth the investment.

The PS3 was more powerful and there were titles that took advantage of it (Sony First party), but this isn't the same case.
That was technically more powerful but harder to develop for. Switch is easy to develop for but technically less powerful.

The PS3 was only more powerful in CPU on paper. The 360 had a better GPU in nearly every way. The Nvidia design on PS3 was really stupid.

mclem

It would be nice to see some more evidence of this, especially from the bigger publishers. Good to hear though, as always.

This isn't really an initiative that'd benefit bigger publishers that much - they already have the infrastructure in place to handle different releases in different regions. The biggest impact it'd have would be in the indie area.

bman94

The old process for getting games on Nintendo platforms sounds horrendous. Why the hell would Nintendo make it so hard to get games on their platforms?

This isn't really an initiative that'd benefit bigger publishers that much - they already have the infrastructure in place to handle different releases in different regions. The biggest impact it'd have would be in the indie area.

I'm not just talking about the worldwide publishing but also in general how much easier it seems to be to get a game published on Switch, and how much Nintendo seems to be reaching out to third parties/indies. It would be nice if that same attitude went towards bigger publishers is what I mean.

Top Bottom