• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo teams up with Tesco for Wii U fight back

SmokyDave

An article about that would be like writing an article about the local supermarket putting up a display for a Coca Cola endcap or a Best Buy putting up a cardboard display for the new Halo game. It's so day-to-day common that there's absolutely no reason to take any note of it. If a product's section expands noticeably after being a certain size (especially small) for a long time, especially if the expansion includes non-standard branded decoration, you can be sure the product's manufacturer paid good money for that promotional space and content.
I don't actually think slotting fees for videogames in UK supermarkets are as common as people are suggesting. I'm not about to argue it strongly because I don't work in retail and people have a vested interest in shouting 'everybody does it' without examining if that's true, and if it is, to what degree.

Did you notice that this thread is based on one such article? It's hardly far out to have wondered if there was another similar article covering a competitors product.

Chittagong

Gold Member
tZaYNTN.png

Teehee

the fact that they got to keep *any* shelf space at all, even if reduced might be the reason for this marketing push now. Probably part of the deal.

jwhit28

I don't actually think slotting fees for videogames in UK supermarkets are as common as people are suggesting. I'm not about to argue it strongly because I don't work in retail and people have a vested interest in shouting 'everybody does it' without examining if that's true, and if it is, to what degree.

Did you notice that this thread is based on one such article? It's hardly far out to have wondered if there was another similar article covering a competitors product.

I don't know about the UK but at Walmart in the US our electronics section advertising and shelf space was setup each week by a special team that came in. All we did was restock in the places they told us to.

Orgen

Always the same people trolling these threads and with the same comments... at least be more original! :p

Anyway, hoping that Nintendo extends this kind of deals to other European countries. It's going to be awesome to be a gamer this holidays! (but not for my wallet)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Buying shelf space in stores now. It's a new low.

This is simply false, sorry.
Sony's pressure to retailers for PS3 space on shelves back in the days exploiting other Sony products (electronic products for other segments for example) is well known, for example.
And it's not wrong at all.

In topic: glad to see them ready to fight for the Holiday season; I just hope that the effort is well balanced and planned because this kind of marketing (including tv spots) is expensive, and their finance hopefully will gain momentum and not loose more margin

I dont work at retail.
I work on the other side (not for Nintendo).
Trust me: there nothing strange is looking for deals for in-store positioning and promotional materials.
The news here is: they are actually trying to push the instore presence and (this is the real new element) have access to Tesco's database to contact costumers directly.
Glad to see DK cited. Hopefully the delay rumor is un reliable.

shaowebb

Nintendo needs a title that surrounds the Tablet functionality of gameplay on their console to push the damn units. Currently theres no reason to care about the one feature they shoved at us so hard, because it is not utilized in any manner that is compelling to consumers.

Give us a reason to care about the tablet. You want Europe? Team up with Sega on bringing Football Manager over and add play calling via tablet.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I am sure you would love for that to happen.

Lets not let personal investment feelings get in the way of the dog eat dog world of consumer electronics!

Would I be happier only having to buy one Nintendo piece of hardware to enjoy all their software output? Sure. I don't think they produce bang-for-buck electronics anywhere near enough to justify ever needing two hardware platforms out there when their next handheld is dragged kicking and screaming into the HD world.

I really, really hope this works.

Because this really is Nintendo's last shot in a lot of ways.

I'm always wondering what your stock plan is really! Sell on
-Iwata fired spike?
-Consolidation on handhelds spike?
-30 years later software only Nintendo spike?

Cheech

No. I know that's 'how it works', but I wanted the specifics of the Vita deal, if they were available. He didn't say 'Sony', he mentioned the Vita specifically which lead me to believe I'd missed some retail anecdote juiciness.

Maybe Sony does that in the UK, but in the US, I don't think it's common. Target stores are basically blowing out Vita stuff; my Target has had the same two CoD Vita bundles and like 8 games (not 8 different titles, literally 8 copies of various games) for a month now. I think it's going bye bye soon.

The Wii U, by comparison, has the same sliver of space they've had since launch. IDK what's going to happen to it when the PS4 and Xbone drop.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think it's kinda funny that people are hyped for this marketing push, when we just had a thread about how poor it was doing in Tesco and some folks were telling everyone how it hardly mattered.

best thing of the news is the acgual inclusion of DK, considering the delay rumor.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Give us a reason to care about the tablet. You want Europe? Team up with Sega on bringing Football Manager over and add play calling via tablet.

FIFA 13 12.5 had something like this. Really, the use of the gamepad in FIFA was quite nice, too bad it didn't sell.

Goodlife

I wonder if I will get one of those leaflets. It just seems like a waste of money (the leaflets) because the shit we get sent through mail is ridiculous. Throw everything out except the ones where its addressed to us and has a company name we recognise.

It will be addressed to you and be from Tesco's probably

My partners cousin who works in the local Tesco Extra store has spoke about this before.

The brand can pay the store by offering a discount on the bulk order or by paying for allocated shelf space (usually for a new brand introduction or special promotion).

An issue arises when a new brand is introduced alongside Tesco's own version.

now they either have to cut a deal with every other store or they'll be discontinued there

well Tesco is the biggest and therefore most important, its likely they will be doing deals with others but it makes sense to do the biggest push here, especially with the marketing help Tesco can provide being far more comprehensive than anyone else

No real surprises from this news. Nintendo has clearly been holding back the Wii U marketing until the holiday season, due to their own acknowledged lack of games. More than likely, this is exactly why they had reduced shelf-space until now. They weren't paying for shelf-space they didn't need for games they didn't have to sell. With that issue now largely resolved with recent releases plus their upcoming titles until Christmas, they're ramping up the marketing spending again, and making sure they have sufficient shelf space in supermarkets is just a part of that. I wouldn't have thought it'd be all that an important part of their marketing push, but then again, it does seem like supermarkets are the primary channel in the UK for physical game sales.

For the record BTW, buying shelf space in supermarkets is standard practice in developed (and most developing) nations worldwide. You can be sure both Sony and Microsoft are going to be ramping up the size of their own sections in these stores as soon as their new consoles launch.

SmokyDave

/amazon.co.uk
Now do it again with supermarket prices, since that's what the thread is about.

My partners cousin who works in the local Tesco Extra store has spoke about this before.

The brand can pay the store by offering a discount on the bulk order or by paying for allocated shelf space (usually for a new brand introduction or special promotion).

An issue arises when a new brand is introduced alongside Tesco's own version.
That's for food and drinks though, isn't it? Does he know what the craic is for entertainment?

Zalman

Very interested in seeing how they're going to do this holiday. Of course it won't be as successful as they want it to be, but I still have faith in them doing fairly well.

SmokyDave

Where do I find those?
On their websites. You'll struggle to find the PS4 price in print though, because they're still preorders.

Sainsbury's Wii U is here.

Tesco is here.

Asda don't seem to sell it online. I've ignored the higher priced bundles for S & T. As you can see though, they ain't selling 'em for £250.

The thread is about the partnership between Nintendo and retailer Tesco. Tesco's premium Wii U RRP is £289.
£269 on their website, they've knocked £20 off. Sainsbury's, Argos, John Lewis and many others still have the £290 RRP though.

Jezbollah

£269 on their website, they've knocked £20 off. Sainsbury's, Argos, John Lewis and many others still have the £290 RRP though.

I'm having to go to Tesco again sometime today or tomorrow (forgot coffee doing the shopping yesterday :( ) - will see if they have reduced the in-store price.

D-e-f-

Banned
On their websites. You'll struggle to find the PS4 price in print though, because they're still preorders.

Tesco is here.

Asda don't seem to sell it online. I've ignored the higher priced bundles for S & T. As you can see though, they ain't selling 'em for £250.

The thread is about the partnership between Nintendo and retailer Tesco. Tesco's premium Wii U RRP is £289.

Could this maybe have anything to do with those sites being outdated with the pre-price cut price that doesn't go into effect until Oct. 4 seeing as you linked me to original Nintendo Land bundles?

Tesco is here.

the price drops (although the uk doesn't have RRPs anyway) I don't think come into force for another 7 days

Evenflow

So wasn't it known that Nintendo delayed their marketing budget from the first half of year to have a massive end of year push when all the major software was ready? I remember reading that... I wouldn't be surprised to see a big push in all regions.

SmokyDave

Well he works in the grocery section but said it was store wide.
If I send him a crisp £20 note, will he tell me the dirty dark secret of why the Vita has been dropped?

Could this maybe have anything to do with those sites being outdated with the pre-price cut price that doesn't go into effect until Oct. 4 seeing as you linked me to original Nintendo Land bundles?
The site reflects the shelves as they are today, yeah. Walk into Sainsbury's right now and there are two packages available: £250 basic, £289.99 premium. I linked you to the 'relevant' bundles as I thought it would be disingenuous to link you to the £317 basic package on the Tesco site, or the £355 premium bundle at Sainsbury's. Check the sites yourself, they only get more expensive.

What is the new price as of Oct 4th?

No I saw it on here but I can't find it. I retract my foolish statement. I'll go stand in the corner.
Ah, dude. I wasn't having a crack at you, I just wanted to read the particulars if there were any.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Tesco is here.

Some nice prices for PS4 at Sainsbury and Tesco.

I wonder if I will get one of those leaflets. It just seems like a waste of money (the leaflets) because the shit we get sent through mail is ridiculous. Throw everything out except the ones where its addressed to us and has a company name we recognise.

People don't throw mail from Tesco away, that's why this is such a good move from nintendo

Top Bottom