• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo teams up with Tesco for Wii U fight back

Slayven

So wasn't it known that Nintendo delayed their marketing budget from the first half of year to have a massive end of year push when all the major software was ready? I remember reading that... I wouldn't be surprised to see a big push in all regions.

God I hope not, that would be incredibly stupid.

Berg

nCAMVS4.jpg

Nintendo is tucked away down the far left.

"tucked away"?? It looks like it's the same size as the ps3 and 360 sections. Perspective of the picture, dude. Go take a picture from the other end.

SmokyDave

Some nice prices for PS4 at Sainsbury and Tesco.
I know from chatting in-store that it's going to be £349.99, but as I said in the post you've quoted, the price isn't on the site yet. Maybe they'll go over RRP, but I doubt it.

I'll ask the next time I see him.
To clarify, I know why it's been dropped. It sells like shit. I'd like to know if Sony made any effort to keep it on shelves though, or whether they're far more concerned about their consoles space.

they could buy shelves space near the gardening section (thats the cheapest area)... everyone goes to the garden area
no one goes to the garden area

interesting strategy about the flyers though.... they should advertise the new WiiFit and party games on it

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Ah, dude. I wasn't having a crack at you, I just wanted to read the particulars if there were any.

From memory it was to do with charts, someone said Sony were paying to have Vita charts still in retailers.

When I searched all I could find was that Sony offer sale or return as explaining why Vita may still have a larger than expected presence in some places.

D-e-f-

Banned
The site reflects the shelves as they are today, yeah. Walk into Sainsbury's right now and there are two packages available: £250 basic, £289.99 premium. I linked you to the 'relevant' bundles as I thought it would be disingenuous to link you to the £317 basic package on the Tesco site, or the £355 premium bundle at Sainsbury's. Check the sites yourself, they only get more expensive.

What is the new price as of Oct 4th?

No clue what UK prices will be across the board. It's $299 & €299. So I guess amazon's already listed £249 for the Wind Waker bundle is what it's gonna be.

Snarky remarks based on outdated prices are a bit silly (referring to the other guy).

Jezbollah

"tucked away"?? It looks like it's the same size as the ps3 and 360 sections. Perspective of the picture, dude. Go take a picture from the other end.

xVK876C.jpg

This is the picture I took of the Nintendo section. You will see two units. Compare to Sonys and Microsofts.

Evenflow

God I hope not, that would be incredibly stupid.
It was around the time Pikmin and 101 and wii fit were delayed out of the "launch window", I remember reading Nintendo planned to delay and combine their marketing budget for the year untill they could build software momentum.

qko

Nintendo needs a title that surrounds the Tablet functionality of gameplay on their console to push the damn units. Currently theres no reason to care about the one feature they shoved at us so hard, because it is not utilized in any manner that is compelling to consumers.

Give us a reason to care about the tablet. You want Europe? Team up with Sega on bringing Football Manager over and add play calling via tablet.

NSMBW didn't really use the pointer and the motion controls were reduced to spin jumping. It became one of the highest selling Wii games. I agree that the Wii U does need its Wii Sports which shows the Gamepad's functionality, but let's not pretend that if a Nintendo game doesn't exposing the system's features it is doomed to fail.

PusherT

Nintendo needs a title that surrounds the Tablet functionality of gameplay on their console to push the damn units. Currently theres no reason to care about the one feature they shoved at us so hard, because it is not utilized in any manner that is compelling to consumers.

Give us a reason to care about the tablet. You want Europe? Team up with Sega on bringing Football Manager over and add play calling via tablet.
Wonderful 101 is that game unfortunately the game astetic and niche nature limits it appeal. W101 does a lot of cool shit with the tablet also Nintendo need to promote off tv play more too.

Jezbollah

Lol holy shit...that is bad. And wtf the fuck wiiU & wii mixed together. I now see the despair.

You do have a point re my previous shot's perspective. I'm popping back to that Tesco in a little while - will take another shot from that angle.

Slayven

It was around the time Pikmin and 101 and wii fit were delayed out of the "launch window", I remember reading Nintendo planned to delay and combine their marketing budget for the year untill they could build software momentum.

That is kind of sad. They would forgo potential sales for 3/4 of the year, and try to make it up in the last 1/4? That is madness.

Wonderful 101 is that game unfortunately the game astetic and niche nature limits it appeal. W101 does a lot of cool shit with the tablet also Nintendo need to promote off tv play more too.

it just has too many colours for todays gamers, had the 2 main ones been wonder-grey and wonder-brown it might have stood a chance

xVK876C.jpg

This is the picture I took of the Nintendo section. You will see two units. Compare to Sonys and Microsofts.

That's two units for DS/3DS/Wii/Wii U compared to three units just for Xbox 360. So yes, there is a major difference there.

EDIT: I think I'm agreeing with you but disagreeing with the person you quoted, to clarify. Or something :eek:)

Slippery slope, renting store space. Soon every store will be asking for a slice of the pie!

I think this is the most you can expect from Nintendo in their position. It should silence those who roll off the usual excuses (marketing, games).

edit. And for what it's worth in my Tesco there are about 8 shelve units dedicated to games, one shelf is Nintendo, one shelf is Skylanders, the rest is PS360.

Busty

Banned
Nintendo hasn't teamed up with Tesco in the slightest.

It's like saying I've teamed up with Burger King to produce a snack for me to eat.

This is how retail works.

This is more too little far too late from Nintendo.

SmokyDave

From memory it was to do with charts, someone said Sony were paying to have Vita charts still in retailers.

When I searched all I could find was that Sony offer sale or return as explaining why Vita may still have a larger than expected presence in some places.
I think that's a fairly recent change (probably in response to the Vita). I remember when GAME were floundering, Sony switched to SOR for them. It's perhaps become standard practice since.

No clue what UK prices will be across the board. It's $299 & €299. So I guess amazon's already listed £249 for the Wind Waker bundle is what it's gonna be.

Snarky remarks based on outdated prices are a bit silly (referring to the other guy).
£250 plus a decent game wouldn't be too bad, but I still feel they need more daylight between the Wii U and the PS3. £200 would've been ideal.

That's two units for DS/3DS/Wii/Wii U compared to three units just for Xbox 360. So yes, there is a major difference there.

WrEJtIu.png

Makes sense when you look at the numbers. 360 software comfortably outsells all Nintendo platforms combined.

Jezbollah

EDIT: I think I'm agreeing with you but disagreeing with the person you quoted, to clarify. Or something :eek:)

I'm going to go back and do a complete audit of that entire section. I've got a feeling that there are two units each for PS3 and 360 just for used games. That alone would be quote something.

jwhit28

That is kind of sad. They would forgo potential sales for 3/4 of the year, and try to make it up in the last 1/4? That is madness.

If they don't have the confidence that what they are trying to sell is interesting enough by itself there is no reason to throw more money at it. The benefit from advertising is not linear. Putting X dollars in doesn't guarantee Y amount of sales. Sales for games like Puppeteer and Wonderful 101 are what they are.

Just thinking throwing more money at it will fix it is why so many publishers have the super inflated expectations for game sales.

Yado

None of the software released up to this point (DK & Mario) justify a marketing push for the Wii U. What would be the point in an increase in advertising for the Wii U with titles like TW101 and Pikmin to push sales?

PusherT

None of the software released up to this point (DK & Mario) justify a marketing push for the Wii U. What would be the point in pushing the Wii U with titles like TW101 and Pikmin to push sales?
IDK about Pikmin but Nintendo should have pushed Wonderful 101 with AAA marketing budget. That game was everything the core gamer in the industry wanted. New and fresh IP from Nintendo made by the best action developer in the world Platnium and Kamya. W101 does some of the coolest shit ever with the Wiipad for 2 types of gameplay action and puzzles. This game should have been pushed much harder it is the Wii U killer app but not the game people want.

Slayven

If they don't have the confidence that what they are trying to sell is interesting enough by itself there is no reason to throw more money at it. The benefit from advertising is not linear. Putting X dollars in doesn't guarantee Y amount of sales. Sales for games like Puppeteer and Wonderful 101 are what they are.

Just thinking throwing more money at it will fix it is why so many publishers have the super inflated expectations for game sales.

None of the software released up to this point (DK & Mario) justify a marketing push for the Wii U. What would be the point in an increase in advertising for the Wii U with titles like TW101 and Pikmin to push sales?

Then they should have had the games ready. Or at least show they are trying.

RulkezX

Nintendo could have Mario personally greet every shopper at every Tesco in the country and people still wouldn't give a shit.

I always rolled my eyes at people saying the name and message was all wrong with the console until a guy at work asked me this week how "that new wii controller plays games out the house when the disc is in the Wii at home" :)

Conan-san

Nintendo could have Mario personally greet every shopper at every Tesco in the country and people still wouldn't give a shit.
You know, there's all for telling Nintendo off for arsing around with the Wii U which they certainly have (lord knows they should have strung Ubisoft by the scrote for their nonsense with Rayman Legends) but you're sounding like they shouldn't have bothered outright and should have gone Sega the moment production ended on Skyward Sword.

jwhit28

Then they should have had the games ready. Or at least show they are trying.

The Wii U Direct in January
The Wii U in store demos during E3
The Wii U game tours going on now

They did show they were trying but if a game isn't done it isn't done. I would imagine the damage from the delaying of an eventually good game is much less than the damage of releasing an unfinished game on time. Call of Duty Vita had to do way more damage to people's impression of the system than a delay until next Spring or whatever could have.

Slayven

The Wii U Direct in January
The Wii U in store demos during E3
The Wii U game tours going on now

They did show they were trying but if a game isn't done it isn't done. I would imagine the damage from the delaying of an eventually good game is much less than the damage of releasing an unfinished game on time. Call of Duty Vita had to do way more damage to people's impression of the system than a delay until next Spring or whatever could have.

The last 2 are good, but directs have always been a case of preaching to the faithful.

Khaz

I don't actually think slotting fees for videogames in UK supermarkets are as common as people are suggesting. I'm not about to argue it strongly because I don't work in retail and people have a vested interest in shouting 'everybody does it' without examining if that's true, and if it is, to what degree.

Did you notice that this thread is based on one such article? It's hardly far out to have wondered if there was another similar article covering a competitors product.

I could easily be argued against. Just look at your videogame aisle, it's nothing like the dairy aisle: branding everywhere, on the sides, on the walls, shelves clearly delimited. Sometimes you can see it on other aisles also, like the soft drinks section where you have that shelf space delimited with branded wings to tell you where Coca-Cola is, or in the snack section where Walkers crisps are. These spots where certainly bought for.

PhantomR

Banned
Sounds more like wishful thinking on your part, really.

It's Pie and Beans. It's to be expected in any Nintendo thread.

As far as this is concerned that's good. Very good. Looking forward to what NOA has planned for this holiday. Yes there's Pokemon X and Y and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Beyond that the focus is entirely on Wii U.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Good. They have the games people want, now they need such an aggressive marketing campaign. Use one of your billions Nintendo :)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Reality must suck for you guys :( Rumblings of retailers wanting to just shitcan the WiiU have been echoing forth all year. Nintendo is having to jump through multiple hoops with first the lowered stock price deals to enable the ineffective flash price drops from supermarkets, and now things like advertising on the biggest stores behalf just to keep WiiU in the game.

If this Christmas and a Mario and a Sonic doesn't shift the needle acceptably, its game over. Unfortunately for Nintendo, this Christmas is also PS4/Xbone-aggedon.

:LOL at them dropping Wii U. They've got nothing to replace it with. Nintendo will support this thing for at least another 4 years.

I'm also getting a PS4 and play on PC, 3DS, and Vita, so nothing sucks at all. Quality gaming all over the place.

Yado said:
None of the software released up to this point (DK & Mario) justify a marketing push for the Wii U. What would be the point in an increase in advertising for the Wii U with titles like TW101 and Pikmin to push sales

DKCR sold a ton. They're hoping it does again, which is why the push at this point. Mario Kart probably should have been the game released here, though.

Jezbollah

So, I just got back from the same store.

SuperDave - the instore Wii U prices were the same, so there is a £20 discount on Tesco Direct (online). Looks like the changes haven't yet or wont filter down to in-store Wii U console pricing.

The entire section was broken down to the following display "units"

Microsoft
2 x general and budget 360 games
1 x 360 consoles and accessories

Sony
2 x general and budget PS3 games
1 x PS3 and Vita consoles and accessories

Nintendo
1 x Nintendo consoles and accessories
1 x Nintendo Wii, Wii U, 3DS + DS games

PC
1 x Games for Windows/Mac

MS/Sony
1 x Pre-order section for upcoming PS3/4 + 360/Xbone titles
1 x "online gaming" section (inc iTunes, Google Play, PS+, Xbox Live prepaid cards)

Non-gaming
1 x Skylander Giants toys + collectables (inc custom 360 controllers)
1 x Disney Infinity toys + collections
1 x super budget DVDs

I have to say that there were more Games for Windows/Mac titles available than there was Nintendo titles. And the Nintendo games section catered for all four of their current machines. Not much room at all for Nintendo.

edit: Why are they numbered like that?

They tend to put the best sellers in "chart" order - although I think they make up the charts as they go along.

Top Bottom