• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to sell Component cables online AND in select retailers in the US.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/740/740296p1.html

Gee, I wonder why?

3 Years from now "We have decided to remove 480p functionality from the Wii because nobody is buying the cables for it"

Translation: "We're selling the cables online only because then nobody will buy them, and we're removing 480p functionality because we need to save about 5 bucks more a console".

God, I hate Nintendo sometimes. Most thickheaded company on the planet, I swear.

Well the good thing is that it's not ONLY Nintendo's online store. Other retailers will have them as well... just online.

Still, this is stupid.

Man, son of a bitch. I wanted to take some home with me when I pick up my Wii on the 19th...they better start selling that shit a week early so it has time to ship to my house before launch day. :mad: Horrible f**king decision, Nintendo.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
the perfect item to buy along with your copy of Zelda for GC.

aka they don't want anyone to have it

wordless

I'm a bit confused. If other retailers are able to get them for sale, why couldn't they just put them to their stores instead of keeping them only in mailorder? Because Nintendo says so?

Nester

Damnit, they better start selling and shipping a week or more before launch. I don't want to wait for cables to arrive. :(

It makes me laugh sometimes to hear Nintendo fanboys say shit like "Nintendo is fixing the problems they had with GameCube!!!"

When in reality, they're taking almost the exact same path as GameCube did. :lol

civilstrife said:
Is there a third party alternative at launch?

I'd be all over it.

GameStop listed some 60$ 3rd party cables early on.

Unlike the GC component, the Wii won't need a DAC chip on the cable. So it's much more plausible that 3rd parties will make one.

radcliff

Hold on, please tell me we can order these prior to the system's release so that we will have them by 11/19. Or else, that just really sucks.

jarrod

Banned
They did the same thing with DS WiFi USB key initially... if there's enough demand, you see it in stores too.

koam

QuickKick89 said:
It makes me laugh sometimes to hear Nintendo fanboys say shit like "Nintendo is fixing the problems they had with GameCube!!!"

When in reality, they're taking almost the exact same path as GameCube did. :lol

Nonsense, now there's more stores to buy them from online :lol

This is stupid.

dark10x said:
They really love to piss all over HDTV owners, don't they?

Not even that. My television has component in and it make a huge difference in image quality.

More like Nintendo loves to piss on owners of TVs made in the last seven years.

Baker

Banned
This shit just cracks me up. Why are they even trying to fool us with 480p/16:9 games if they're going to add that ridiculous step to getting component cables again?

It would be far too confusing for the average consumer if Wii component cables were available in stores alongside Xbox 1 component cables, Xbox 360 component cables, and PS2/PS3 component cables.

Soul4ger

This'll end up like the dongle. They'll start appearing in stores a little after they hit the web.

Edit: Oops, beaten.

Kevin

Maybe they will take the component port out of future versions of the Wii console like they did with the GameCube. :lol

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Well, Nintendo did this same thing with the wireless dongle, didn't they? And that ended up on the shelves of brick and mortar stores. Maybe if we just bitch enough again they'll do that.

Edit: beaten with an ugly stick :(

Baker

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
It would be far too confusing for the average consumer if Wii component cables were available in stores alongside Xbox 1 component cables, Xbox 360 component cables, and PS2/PS3 component cables.

Hahahaha.

hyp

**** you nintendo. now i have to go and purchase this bullshit online. gimme a break. this ain't the 80s.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wha...WHY, Nintendo!?!? :|
This is just so stupid. I could never get my hands on a component cable for GC (I REFUSE to pay ridiculous sums of money for that frickin' cable) and now...this!? Well, at least I have learned from past mistakes and will be getting a component cable early on in that case.

i hope someone watches websites like a hawk.

good god nintendo... i know you don't think HD is important BUT COMPONENT CABLES?

woo. games looking crappy when i first get the system for the lose.

Kiriku said:
Wha...WHY, Nintendo!?!? :|
This is just so stupid. I could never get my hands on a component cable for GC (I REFUSE to pay ridiculous sums of money for that frickin' cable) and now...this!? Well, at least I have learned from past mistakes and will be getting a component cable early on in that case.

This is only for NOA. Japan and Europa will probably have them in stores from the beginning.

teiresias

reggie_shrug.jpg

"Can't buy our cables in the store . . . not my problem."

qirex

They just want everyone to get the benefit of the free antialiasing that comes with using RF/composite. Seriously though, it's one thing to say "hey, HD isn't important to us" and it's another to actually make it more difficult to do.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Dragona Akehi said:
This is only for NOA. Japan and Europa will probably have them in stores from the beginning.

Well, I hope so. But I'm honestly not much of a believer when it comes NOE. :p

Dragona Akehi said:

Well, we BETTER have them. I could buy the GC ones in store, though I got my GC a few months after launch so I don't know if they were available from the get go.

Ranger X

What the hell anyway? It's like they attribute Component Cable to HDTV or sump and since they don't support HD they must be like "meh, to hell the Component Cable".

HELLO NINTENDO!! --> COMPONENT CABLES ON MY SDTV ALSO MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE. Composite era is finished, get with the ****ing times.

Top Bottom