• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to sell Component cables online AND in select retailers in the US.

fartblast

Banned
Well any plans I had of getting a Wii at launch are now cancelled... there's no way I'm going to play that shit in composite on my tv, no way. Looks like it's time for a second 360 xD

suaveric

damn, i'm going to be super pissed that Sunday if I can't go right home and hook this up to my TV with compenent cables. they had better start shipping this stuff weeks before the 19th

123rl

They better not pull this crap for the UK launch.

Actually, I could accept this...they better release component cables in Europe. Or else I wait and import a US machine. Or buy one 2nd hand then Nintendo gets none of my money

Baker

Banned
MadraptorMan said:
Let's start a massive email campaign.

We did that the day they announced no HD support. They actually emailed us all back with some generic "thanks for your opinion, get the **** out of here" messages.

Hi!

Thanks for letting us know how you feel. We appreciate you giving us your feedback and we will be forwarding it on to the appropriate people for review.

There will be more details released about the Revolution in the future so stay tuned to www.nintendo.com for more information. We are confident that gamers and non-gamers alike will support our focus on fun, innovation, and affordability. Once you have a chance to play games on the Revolution, we think you will!
Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.

Mrbob

Sony just needs to announce later today that all US PS3 models come with a composite cable and this will be a great day.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dragona Akehi said:
This is only for NOA. Japan and Europa will probably have them in stores from the beginning.

Oh really? Well then, **** you guys. I have no problem with this.

Meier

This was a bad [decision] with the GC and it's even worse with the Wii. I dont understand Nintendo (of America) sometimes.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you guys need to get with the paradigm shift -- better video quality means less fun. composite cables are more fun than component cables by exactly the amount of picture information that's lost. and i don't even want to know how much fun an rf adaptor would be

Meier said:
This was a bad one with the GC and it's even worse with the Wii. I dont understand Nintendo (of America) sometimes.

Cables are just about the most profitable accessories ever. I don't understand NOA either. But I'm 100% positive they'll have them in the Nintendo World Store in NY, launch day.

Soul4ger

Meier said:
This was a bad one with the GC and it's even worse with the Wii. I dont understand Nintendo (of America) sometimes.

How do you not understand them at this point? How is anyone in this thread surprised? When has Nintendo ever cared about you and your goddamn graphics and your television cables?! WHEN WHEN WHEN?!

Baker

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Cables are just about the most profitable accessories ever. I don't understand NOA either. But I'm 100% positive they'll have them in the Nintendo World Store in NY, launch day.

Which means jack shit to the 294 million people who don't live in NY.

FightyF

Banned
Horrible move.

Thank God for 3rd party cables.

I don't plan to get a Wii until it's around $150 Cdn...but when I do I sure as hell plan to use component cables.

I'd love to have component cables for my GC...so that games like F-Zero doesn't look like crap when it doesn't have to. But it's a hard find at a decent price...

perplexcity said:
Which means jack shit to the 294 million people who don't live in NY.

Hey, I'm just saying for the person who was asking. The sales there will also gauge for NOA the demand for cables in brick and mortar stores.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
drohne said:
you guys need to get with the paradigm shift -- better video quality means less fun. composite cables are more fun than component cables by exactly the amount of picture information that's lost. and i don't even want to know how much fun an rf adaptor would be

Drohne, don't you have anything better to do than pointlessly troll every Nintendo thread you can find? I mean, it looks pretty time consuming. Unless you've somehow developed a very efficient and quick way of hitting every nintendo thread. In which case, it scares me that you have enough practice to efficiently do so.

hyp

Hairyiguana said:
Big online shopper in the 80's were ya?

another case of reading a post out of context. this ain't the 80s meaning "who the **** uses composite anymore".

Chittagong

Gold Member
Never forget! Nintendo's target demographic:

my_setup1.jpg

Meier

hyp said:
this ain't the 80s meaning "who the **** uses composite anymore".

To be honest, I'd say probably 75-80% of gamers do. I used composite up until I got the cables for my GC a few years back and then with the 360. PS2 I was still using composite until I got an HDTV and then I bought some knock-off S-Video cable that works for all the systems.

It's still a terrible decision, even if there's a limited audience for the cables.

Baker

Banned
Meier said:
To be honest, I'd say probably 75-80% of gamers do. I used composite up until I got the cables for my GC a few years back and then with the 360. PS2 I was still using composite until I got an HDTV and then I bought some knock-off S-Video cable that works for all the systems.

It's still a terrible decision, even if there's a limited audience for the cables.

Gamers are ****ing idiots then. Every TV since '99 at least had s-video.

What is their ****ing problem? Are they really this stupid? I bet they eventually pull out the "Well only 1 percent of GC users used it line" even though they made them a huge hassle to get. Truly ****ing ridiculous, well done Nintendo, you've managed to impress me with your stupidity. Maybe someone needs to write them a memo about the fact that component cables aren't the devil and won't scare people away at Best Buy.

EDIT: What truly sucks is if I want them day 1 with the Wii I've got to ****ing pay for overnight or something to get them from EB unless they stock them earlier (unlikely).

Baker

Banned
I sat in line for 12 hours for the Cube and could barely force myself to play it when I got home cuz Nintendo didn't have s-video out at launch.

I don't want another console launch ruined by knowing you're playing on an inferior PQ to what's possible.

ksinghsf

Dragona Akehi said:
Hey, I'm just saying for the person who was asking. The sales there will also gauge for NOA the demand for cables in brick and mortar stores.

So, no there's no hope they'll reverse this idiotic decision and get them into brick and mortar stores elsewhere prior to or at least at launch?

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Dragona Akehi said:
How are you sure? Do you know how many they will have?

What it comes down to is that despite all their talk to the contrary, Nintendo learned NOTHING from last gen. It's sad really, that a company with so much potential just doesn't get it.

ksinghsf said:
So, no there's no hope they'll reverse this idiotic decision and get them into brick and mortar stores elsewhere prior to or at least at launch?

See the Wifi dongle. It'll probably happen eventually in the US, and the rest of the world will have it in store day one.

mj1108

Goddamnit.... how stupid.

Like someone did mention, they were selling the USB adapter online only at first then put it in stores later...but still....it's JUST A CABLE.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Nintendo World Store, don't ****ing let me down.

Or at the very least, Nintendo better ****ing start selling them online early.

If I have to play Zelda via composite for even a few days.... *shudder*

I was waiting for this bullshit. Actually, I was half expecting the Wii itself to be sold online only. Nintendo is just that ***king stupid.

Do they even notice the prices GC component cables go for on Ebay? It's like people at NoA haven't stepped outside and looked around since 1999.

hyp said:
another case of reading a post out of context. this ain't the 80s meaning "who the **** uses composite anymore".

I understood your post 100%. I don't actually think you were shopping online in the 80's thats the joke.

Top Bottom