• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to sell Component cables online AND in select retailers in the US.

Baker

Banned
Meier said:
I've never been big on buying accessories.

The cable you use to plug the damn console into the tv is not an accessory. It's what makes the whole ****ing concept of playing a game on your tv possible.

GitarooMan said:
Do they even notice the prices GC component cables go for on Ebay? It's like people at NoA haven't stepped outside and looked around since 1999.

Seriously, it's as if NoA is sitting around going....

"Hmmm, Hey guys I think we have to much positive hype for the Wii launch. What can we do to create some negative buzz?"

Soul4ger

perplexcity said:
B00005RL4L.01-A3LTAW8FHJ63G2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Seriously, can I tell you how many of those I sold when I worked at EB? And not just for GameCube, but PS2 and Xbox, too? A lot. A LOT. To the point where we constantly needed to restock third-party, universal versions.

Baker

Banned
jetsetmario said:
Seriously, it's as if NoA is sitting around going....

"Hmmm, Hey guys I think we have to much positive hype for the Wii launch. What can we do to create some negative buzz?"

Either that or none of their engineers have been paid in the past 5 years to see it has been possible to purchase a TV since 1995.

Dragona Akehi said:
Cables are just about the most profitable accessories ever.

Seriously, they have a retail/cost ratio of 100/1 or more. That's the worst part. Some of Nintendo's decisions at least make sense from a business standpoint. This one is illogical from any standpoint.

Baker

Banned
Soul4ger said:
Seriously, can I tell you how many of those I sold when I worked at EB? And not just for GameCube, but PS2 and Xbox, too? A lot. A LOT. To the point where we constantly needed to restock third-party, universal versions.

Yeah I actually had one for the for when I had to stay in a Holiday Inn over xmas one year.

Az987

all good things
Will my GC component cables work on Wii?

It was such a bitch to get them in the first place. I really dont feel like having to do the same thing again. I can see there site selling out of them again and saying, "Well have some more in 6 months" again.

Mrbob said:
Sony just needs to announce later today that all US PS3 models come with a composite cable and this will be a great day.

And it will be the day Sony officially punts Nintendo's ass in the holiday wars.

jetsetmario said:
What it comes down to is that despite all their talk to the contrary, Nintendo learned NOTHING from last gen. It's sad really, that a company with so much potential just doesn't get it.

QFTMFT.

Will they even have these at the Nintendo World Store??? If they're available online only, they better be available before the damn launch. Using regular cables on my HD set won't be pretty. Actually, it'll probably be pretty fugly.

jiggle

Az987 said:
Will my GC component cables work on Wii?

If you already own GameCube component cables, you're out of luck because these are not compatible with the Wii console.

answered in the original link ^^

It's going to be awesome when I pick up my Wii that Saturday night or Sunday morning and have to contemplate whether to hook it up and vomit at my screen or wait until the component cables arrive and let it sit there unopened.

SuperPac

SON OF A ****ING BITCH. These better be available day one (preferably before so I can order them before I have the system). If they aren't, I am going to be really ****ing pissed.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
perplexcity said:

I had to use one of these until I got my new TV this year. What a f*cking blurry mess compared to now.

Retarded decision once again Nintendo!

GitarooMan said:
It's going to be awesome when I pick up my Wii that Saturday night or Sunday morning and have to contemplate whether to hook it up and vomit at my screen or wait until the component cables arrive and let it sit there unopened.

I'm off the week after it launches, so if these cables aren't available until the 19th (or after), I'd be facing the same decision.
Damnit, I should have pre-ordered a PS3.

Jim

HAL_Laboratory said:
My TV doesn't support progressive scan, so I'm good.

As good as that can be, anyway.

Non-progressive SDTVs have component inputs also, and it still makes a huge difference as compared to composite/s-video.

SuperPac

GitarooMan said:

*sigh* No ****. :'(

This is terrible ****ing news.

Dizzy

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
This is only for NOA. Japan and Europa will probably have them in stores from the beginning.
:lol If America doesn't have them in stores, Europe sure as hell won't. I'd bet money on that.

Meier

perplexcity said:
The cable you use to plug the damn console into the tv is not an accessory. It's what makes the whole ****ing concept of playing a game on your tv possible.

But the systems come with a cable that let's me do that. It's not necessary, therefore it's an accessory -- end of story. That was always my mindset and I'm sure the mindset of most consumers. I'll end up splurging for the component cable this time most likely since I've seen the difference on an HDTV between composite and anything else... but it's over most people's heads I imagine.

gkryhewy

dbish

Sigh, it's sad how quickly we went from a Componant/Composite 2-in-one cable to this crap about it only being available online.

However, this news does not so much effect me. Any word yet on s-video (that's the maximum my TV has).

Jim said:
Non-progressive SDTVs have component inputs also, and it still makes a huge difference as compared to composite/s-video.

Well, what I mean is that mine ONLY has the red/white/yellow composite.

And the RF.

antipode

HAL_Laboratory said:

And the RF.

You don't even have S-video? Your new console is going to be worth more than your TV.

Holtz

antipode said:
You don't even have S-video? Your new console is going to be worth more than your TV.
My TV is just as crappy, no S Video. Thank God i'm getting a HDTV early next year. :lol

gkryhewy

antipode said:

How many SDTVs are worth more than $250 in 2006? It would need to be one of those 300 pound 36"+ jobs.

Jim

HAL_Laboratory said:

And the RF.

Ouch. Yeah, i thought you meant it just had the inputs, but the set didn't support progressive. Plenty of sets out there like that from about 5 or 6 years ago, and even w/o the progressive support, it looks leagues better than the alternatives.

antipode said:

It's funny to me how every time TVs come up on GAF everyone's like "WHAT DON'T YOU BUY A NEW TV EVERY YEAR!" I only have a TV with S-video because I repoed it from my ex-roomate in lieu of part of the back rent he owes me. Up until September I had my GameCube and my PS2 running off of daisy-chained RF adapters. It's pretty sad, but a pretty huge portion of people are running games off of old TVs.

Silkworm

Hmmm, I've only got S-Video (besides composite). I wonder if Nintendo (or some other 3rd party accessory maker) will have pitty on me and develop this type of cable for the Wii. :-\

Baker

Banned
charlequin said:
It's funny to me how every time TVs come up on GAF everyone's like "WHAT DON'T YOU BUY A NEW TV EVERY YEAR!" I only have a TV with S-video because I repoed it from my ex-roomate in lieu of part of the back rent he owes me. Up until September I had my GameCube and my PS2 running off of daisy-chained RF adapters. It's pretty sad, but a pretty huge portion of people are running games off of old TVs.

I had three different tvs throughout the Cubes lifespan...

charlequin said:

Don't you know GAF's motto?

"Upgrade or Die"

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'd love an HDTV but I can't justify the cost, particularly since the industry itself can't seem to quite decide on a solid and final HDTV standard. 720p? no. 1080i? no. 1080p? maybe. On top of that, I don't actually WATCH television, so I'd only use it as a monitor for video gaming and the occasional DVD-watching.

I spent $200 a few years ago on a nice 27" Sony Wega Trinitron flatscreen SDTV, with component inputs, that has served me well so far. It displays the GCN and PS2 marvelously, and will likely serve the Wii just as well. I do admit that it leaves much to be desired regarding the X360, and probably soon enough, the PS3 as well.

Top Bottom