• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Treehouse Live @ E3 2016 Thread [*LIVE*] (No childish commentary allowed)

TheJoRu

Part of me wanted to skip watching this to go in completely blind, but looking at the scope of this game and the things you can do and how your experience can be so totally different depending on what you do...I don't feel bad for watching. It's hard to know if Aonuma's "E3 demo is 1% of the game world's content" is accurate, but looking at the map we've seen and what the demo area constitutes, it may just be true.

Also, it would've been very hard to go into any sort of Nintendo discussion in the coming year and not get stuff spoiled. It's not like I would be able to go into it without knowing about the survival aspects, climbing or using the environment etc. I'd learn about that stuff eventually, and probably seeing a bunch of GIFs and images anyway. The only thing I feel I maybe could've skipped watching is the intro part itself, and the footage in the shrines, but it would've been a bit hard to selectively tune out for those specific things. It's fine. I trust that the stuff they've chosen to show doesn't constitute any larger portion of the game or displays too many of the game's features.

gerg

This might actually encourage me to buy an NX, solely for this game. The sense of isolation within the scale of the environment is fantastic.

You pretty much nailed it on the head of what I felt too.

The first Zelda was not my first gaming experience, but it is one of my most memorable ones. The overall sense of exploration, uncertainty and adventure; burning every single damn bush and being thrilled when I found a secret cave; stumbling across a dungeon just because I decided to go that way; finally intuitively figuring out a puzzle (go up, up, up the mountaintop) and finally going into an area I was nowhere near strong enough to go to and getting my ass handed to me, only to return more powerful and able to kick ass... these are specific moments that are burned into my mind and my imagination ran wild with picturing this in a fully realized world.

I don't know if BotW is how I imagined how Zelda would look when I was a kid 30 years ago but it's as damn close as we've ever been.

Kyzer

Banned
them saying there wont be a difference between the nx version and the wii u version either means the handheld has wii u graphics or the next console wont have a graphical jump.

$249 streambox confirmed

Cuburt

you mean from this gif?
spxxOvV.gif
I shouted at the screen when I watched this scene unfold.

The game is so dynamic and the dynamic weather should make it even more special.

Busaiku

them saying there wont be a difference between the nx version and the wii u version either means the handheld has wii u graphics or the next console wont have a graphical jump.

$249 streambox confirmed
I think it's more likely they were talking about content/control differences.

Not

Banned
Said this in the other thread but

Guys, what if the old man is old Ganondorf and he's making you collect the spirit orbs from the shrines so he can take back the Calamity Ganon power from the castle for himself

Omnicent

Said this in the other thread but

Guys, what if the old man is old Ganondorf and he's making you collect the spirit orbs from the shrines so he can take back the Calamity Ganon power from the castle for himself

I was thinking that at some point too.
Someone said he could be the king of hyrule, but I thought nah looks more like an aged Ganondorf.
Then I thought of wind waker and was like well... it's possible it could be either.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about the old man/mentor tricking their disciple (take over their body/other nefarious plots) motif though (or maybe I am jaded because I read to much Wuxia/Xianxia).

I'm still a bit miffed that they made Link right-handed. I've always thought him being left-handed is one of the reasons that makes him a unique protagonist. And I'm saying this as a right-handed person. :(

Did anyone at Nintendo mention anything about music? So far it seems absent while exploring.

Now I get that this game is changing things. But you cannot take that away from Zelda. You simply cannot. The single greatest feeling in these games (one of them anyway) is exploring the overworlds to grand adventurous themes.

Hopefully, they're still going to add a lot to the sound design. I did like the tune in the trailer.

Gravidee

Did anyone at Nintendo mention anything about music? So far it seems absent while exploring.

Now I get that this game is changing things. But you cannot take that away from Zelda. You simply cannot. The single greatest feeling in these games (one of them anyway) is exploring the overworlds to grand adventurous themes.

Hopefully, they're still going to add a lot to the sound design. I did like the tune in the trailer.

It would be nice if there was a feature in the game that would allow you to play music during your journey, like maybe past overworld themes through the Sheikah Slate or something

ciD_Vain

I think they mentioned really early on in the stream one of the unique things about this Zelda is how ambient the sounds/music is when exploring the landscape.

ASIS

They did, but I don't remember exactly. Something about developers not knowing where you are or what you are doing exactly, so they can't pull the appropriate track so they left it without any. Something to that effect.

jblank83

They mentioned that it was an intentional design decision, to focus the player on the world around them. If you listen, you'll hear many ambient noises from creatures and features like rivers and even the wind.

There were cinematic bursts of music here and there, like when they discovered the rock monster boss in a forest clearing.

maxcriden

I mean in the treehouse stream they explicitly stated the 100+ mini-dungeons thing. I know they've said there are 4 key legendary items to find so I guess that kinda suggests four massive main dungeons, although it's kinda a stretch to reach that conclusion from what we know, imo.

Oh, I just meant in the sense that this was originally rumored a few days ago. So that having been true + the 4 key items, seems to indicate 4 dungeons also being true, since they were part of the same rumor.

Mory Dunz

So what's the GIF situation like?

I expected more. For ppl who haven't been able to watch

I can make some myself I guess. Unless there's a page or something that has a lot that I missed.

udivision

This post is just reminding me about the he problem I have with Pokemon. The gap between what I imagined years ago and what we have today has barely shrunk. It's nice to see Zelda taking a big risk to change things up; sometimes that's the best way to move forward.

Mr-Joker

Banned

What you said is why I am not warming up to the game as I hated playing the first Zelda game as I got lost in the overworld, kept running into strong enemies and just kept dying and was plopped back at the start with 3 hearts and my struggle with begin again, causing me to just stop playing it, I did okay in dungeon and had an easier time as I knew what I was doing.

As it stand I am unsure if I will end up getting the game but I am willing to give Nintendo a chance and wait till I get more info.

Galang

Banned
This post is just reminding me about the he problem I have with Pokemon. The gap between what I imagined years ago and what we have today has barely shrunk. It's nice to see Zelda taking a big risk to change things up; sometimes that's the best way to move forward.

I agree with this. This will be the first Zelda in a while I'm really excited to play and not just play because there's nothing else. I really want the mainline Pokemon games to have a major shakeup to this magnitude

Mory Dunz

If people haven't seen it, more of the story develops and you can see off screen footage of it being played at E3. Everything from climbing the first tower and 'a light' talking to you from within Hyrule Castle plus a swarming cloud of dark magic that has eyes and horns. The old man than arrives and tells you it is called the 'Calamity Ganon'. It also reveals Link has been asleep for 100 years.

wait what? this true? This post was kinda buried

edit: dp

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Finishing up watching the last bits of the live stream and I love how every time someone asks Aonuma or Miyamoto a question they never actually answer it, but decide to answer a similar but definitely different question.

Ck1

Banned
People really shouldn't judge this game by the stream, go back and watch the HD videos put up on YouTube because they look night and day from the live stream. This game will easily be GoTY next year, wow how in depth Nintendo went on details and how physics effect game play is pretty insane!

co1onel

Same! But I just cannot picture a universe where 100+ puzzle shrines don't begin to become repetitive or feel too similar.

It's the same as Skyrim saying it has 100+ dungeons. Well, sure, but how many of those are just populated by the same zombie dudes and overall don't different from each other all that much?

Aren't they optional? I don't think you have to keep playing them if you find them to become repetitive.

There are certain areas of the overworld with music.

Here, for example. It's a quiet piece but perfect for this area.

is there a schedule up for day two? So hyped for #FE and Monster Hunter Generations

So far:

10:00 AM PT Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2016 Continues
10:30 AM PT Pokémon GO Demonstration
10:55 AM PT Nintendo 3DS Action/Adventure/RPG Debut Gameplay
12:45 PM PT Monster Hunter Generations Demonstration
3:50 PM PT Rhythm Heaven Megamix Demonstration

ohlawd

So far:

10:00 AM PT Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3 2016 Continues
10:30 AM PT Pokémon GO Demonstration
10:55 AM PT Nintendo 3DS Action/Adventure/RPG Debut Gameplay
12:45 PM PT Monster Hunter Generations Demonstration
3:50 PM PT Rhythm Heaven Megamix Demonstration

thank you

I feel like I should start watching around noon but screw it. it's Treehouse at E3. it's once a year I'll stick around for the whole thing

Y'know, I'm super hyped about Rhythm Heaven Megamix stuff, and yet I don't care because I just want a release date. :p I want to go in with only as much info on it as I have now.

Gsnap

Well....

It's amazing. The runes are brilliant. Multiple world changing/elemental tools all tied to one item. It's basically what I wanted. Something simple to use, with endless depth that affects the whole world. Using runes in tandem with nature gives you functional gameplay uses for fire, water, grass, stone, metal, air, time, etc. And the shrines you get runes from are properly designed puzzles complete with wordless tutorials for early puzzles, and since there's over 100 of them, they'll clearly evolve in complexity as the game goes on. It's not procedurally generated nonsense.

And I love that the free climbing still has limitations. More like Shadow of the Colossus and not Assassin's Creed. That along with the sailcloth requiring stamina is a great way naturally gate off the world, rather than artificially. Yeah, you can go wherever you want, but you may not have enough stamina to scale that cliff right now. But, you could maybe scale it if you find the optimal path, or find a high point far away and sail to it, but if you can't figure it out on your own, then you can't get there yet.

Enemy diversity and combat seems well improved. I saw that the bigger enemies did significant damage, and enemies like the stalfos were very creative in their different animations and interactions. Even the simple chuchu's seemed to have different effects based on how you approached them (the snow chuchu seemed to explode if you killed them normally, but melt if you hit them with fire. To me this implied that if you use close range combat on them you'll get hurt by their final explosion, but can circumvent that wit fire). It looked a little stiff at first, but the more they got into it the more variety it seemed to have. And of course, the natural stealth and the temperature effects seemed like great ways to use the open space for more fun scenarios.

Annnnnnd, of course, I don't enjoy having the map on screen (hopefully you can get rid of that), but it was great that you had to set your own custom map markers by surveying the land, MGSV style. So far their approach to map design seems much better than the average open world game.

It's better than I ever expected it to be. Hope it has a Hero mode from the start.

Stasis, man.... It's wonderful.

Top Bottom