• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wants to expand into health, learning, and other quality of life products

vareon

Actually, do we have summaries like this for an investor meeting in 2003 if any?

I wonder if GAF is in full force in 2003 and gaming news sites reported the meeting, a portion of the internet will rage because of casual nonsense Nintendo is talking about (which will result in 2006's Wii).

In short, whatever said in the investor meeting probably won't mean much to gamers, which are only interested in end products (which has gone through a lot of nonsense anyway). As metalslimer said, the end product might end up more conventional.

Guevara

God I am so sick of smartphones. Am I the only one who likes dedicated devices?

Apparently yes. I feel like a dinosaur for owning a camera. The trend though is for consolidation, you can see that in camera sales, or handheld sales, or audio player sales. I really don't think there's a bright future for a single purpose device if a smartphone can do a reasonable job at the same task.

Oppo

See what I really think (everyone has an opinion) they should have focused on is the other side of that "health" argument.

One of the reasons parents really liked the idea of Wii was that it clearly got their kids off the couch, out of sedentary mode, and at least standing up and swinging their arms. Remember those stories about gym classes and old folks' homes and such utilizing the Wii to encourage kids to exercise?

That's where they should have gone. IMO. I'll quote myself from back in May:

I think Nintendo sort of lost sight of the target when they moved away from physically oriented gaming.

If I were Nintendo (ha), I would lean towards some sort of AR system, some sort of game you can play in a public space like a park, or backyard. Mixing of real life play and video games. Think Johaan Sebastian Joust. Think Spaceteam. AR Pokemon. Make it all hyper accessible. Make a system that encourages and enhances natural movement but take it out of the living room and into the world.

This is where they ought to be going in my opinion. A Pokemon game in a park. Real life hide and seek/scavenger hunt mixed with video games, out in the world, not just the living room. Unfortunately I feel like they've only perceived half of the Wii value – the healthy aspect – without really seeing the bigger picture, which was incorporating "traditional play" with video game play.

One key aspect of whatever this QOL thing is going to be, its going to be cheap for the low entry price I presume Nintendo knows they would have to hit. So any dreams of Tony Stark level AI surfaces telling you your body fat percentage while showing you the weather on your jogging route is out. Iwata has left it so undefined its hard to understand what on earth he's getting at since if its not a "wearable" its... a what? Cant be furniture or personal gym stuff because thats massively cost prohibitive. A micro-console like the GameStick which plugs into your TV, has pedometer functions, and maybe also plugs into a Wii Fit board?

5gGn747.jpg

58TBmev.jpg

9WA4sHM.jpg

1lmBDL1.jpg

The problem is of course iPhones and Smartphones and wearables are all massively ahead in this area already, never mind the entire decade they have on Nintendo's antiquated understanding of OS and services. What use is one of these devices if it now even lacks the "also plays games/entertainment" angle? Nintendo is pledging to divergence once again in an era of almost total device convergence. Its patently ridiculous and once again reveals how little theyre aware of the tech world around them. Things have changed vastly since the DS and Wii Fit's fortunes.

5-6 Years later: QoL venture fails spectacularly. Nintendo's hardware sales continue to experience steep decline, Iwata forced out and replaced. Never say never.

That's the problem I see here.

DS and Wii were the king of the hill because no one was in that hill before. Now Nintendo divergence for a new hill is already filled with players way better prepared with a much focused tech vision.

Nintendo idea that they are gonna grab that market for themselves with their "Nintendo Magic" and dead casual IP's and gameplay concepts that people aren't interested anymore is not bold, but rather a crazy maneuver that relies on pure luck to suceed.

Divergence to well stablished markets is one thing, divergence to the promised land made up from fantasies can end on a disaster.

I wonder what Miyamoto's stance is on all this. If he considers himself a game designer and producer first and foremost, what's keeping hm from jumping ship (aside from corporate loyalty)?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Apparently yes. I feel like a dinosaur for owning a camera. The trend though is for consolidation, you can see that in camera sales, or handheld sales, or audio player sales. I really don't think there's a bright future for a single purpose device if a smartphone can do a reasonable job at the same task.

Maybe I'll jump on the smartphone wagon when they stop charging upwards of 80-100 a month for a reasonable data plan and the market slows down a bit so that I don't feel like I have to buy a new phone every year or two or else all of my apps are obsolete.

My goddamn iPod nano functioned for something like seven years. All it did was play music. It was good at that.

Oppo

Maybe I'll jump on the smartphone wagon when they stop charging upwards of 80-100 a month for a reasonable data plan and the market slows down a bit so that I don't feel like I have to buy a new phone every year or two or else all of my apps are obsolete.

That's called an iPod Touch and it has been out for years.

optimiss

I think you will be waiting forever. Also, you can get a decent data plan (2-3GB) for $50-$60 bucks which really isn't bad.

I wonder what Miyamoto's stance is on all this. If he considers himself a game designer and producer first and foremost, what's keeping hm from jumping ship (aside from corporate loyalty)?

He said he's developing a flagship game for the QOL platform

Also there are good smartphones that can be bought off contract for cheap and decent data plans and that will only expand this year.

I entered this thread expecting to be utterly confused and baffled by this and left completely satisfied

Also, no matter what silly name they come up with for this, I will not be able to refrain from calling it Iwatacare

Guevara

My goddamn iPod nano functioned for something like seven years. All it did was play music. It was good at that.

Most people I know have a smartphone because work pays for it. It's certainly why I do. That's the hidden driver of a lot of mobile adoption. I too wouldn't pay $80/month.

Instro

Its probably partly his idea. Hopefully he goes fully into this crap and someone else starts managing the gaming related software and hardware R&D.

Haines

Banned
I'm definitely not going to judge consider we know nothing and pretty much like everything else they talked about vey vague and I just want them to get to announcing real stuff.

Sounds like this announcement will be sometime off.

tumblr_lwjnhkYwNQ1qi97m3o1_500.jpg

Seriously though, this decision may be the closest Nintendo has ever come to jumping the shark. On the other hand, of course, it might just be Iwata's brilliant read of a weird Japan-only thing that will go on to make them a ton of money. You decide.

Miyamoto has been making games for 30+ years. He is probably getting very bored with the market or at least is tired in the short term. QOL probably feels like a new and exciting area to the guy. Also, the older you get the more your priorities change.

Yamauchi

Banned
This feels ... dumb. It feels like Iwata perceives the company's business model as unsustainable in the long run and is trying to come up with another so-called pillar of revenue with a squinted eye on a game console exit strategy. It says to me that Iwata doesn't see the company returning to profitability in the foreseeable future. Yes, the word Konami is repeatedly flashing in my mind.

I don't think having 'only' 5,000 employees is a very good excuse. Look at what Valve has done with 330 employees. They not only manage to release an AAA game once a year, but they also have managed to build from scratch a beast of a digital distribution platform. Nintendo hasn't even gotten a properly functioning account system in place yet.

It seems that traditional Japanese management techniques have claimed another victim.

Well, he did say he wanted to make a game that teaches young people to respect their elders, and also a game that teaches people the importance of paying your taxes.

Maybe those dreams can now come true.

heidern

Good summary.

But the really crazy part to me is that health-tech/fitness-tech is a hot area for innovation. It has all the fitbits and fuelbands, there are thousands of apps, there are 100 startups moving at a startup pace. It's a red ocean, basically. And it certainly won't be easy money for slow, clumsy Nintendo.

A startup doesn't stand a chance against the resources and marketing power of a giant like Nintendo.

In fact what you say is a perfect reason for Nintendo to enter the market. It's a hot area and there's thousands of apps, but it's all random and chaotic and thus fairly inaccessible. A dedicated health platform that offers comprehensive health products, that's an easy proposition for the consumer to understand and thus more likely to buy. They just need the right quality of product and pricing and the killer app to get people to go out and buy it.

oti

Banned
Guys, NintendoFit will be the name of a new 24h gym chain with Nintendo themed exercises and gamification elements.

- "Barrel roll" Abdonimal Crunch Mashine
- "Zelda Z-targeting" Agility class
and so on

You check in with your Fit Meter or 3DS or NintendoFit App for Smart Devices. Every finished exercise grants you coins. You can exchange those coins for mini games. If you accumulate enough coins, you get a 10€ discount on your next purchase towards a Nintendo game.

Guys, NintendoFit will be the name of a new 24h gym chain with Nintendo themed exercises and gamification elements.

- "Barrel roll" Abdonimal Crunch Mashine
- "Zelda Z-targeting" Agility class
and so on

You check in with your Fit Meter or 3DS or NintendoFit App for Smart Devices. Every finished exercise grants you coins. You can exchange those coins for mini games. If you accumulate enough coins, you get a 10€ discount on your next purchase towards a Nintendo game.

Super Mario Parkour
original.jpg

gemoran4

I don't think it's a bad idea that Nintendo is doing this in an attempt to branch their business to work in multiple industries. However this is something they should have begun to invest and work towards at the height of the Wii's popularity (especially with titles like wii fit at the time being released and selling huge) in 08/09. They could have used the mind share that Nintendo had at the time to be able to effectively market this and have a popular and potentially sustainable brand/product.

Unfortunately to me this just reeks of Nintendo desperately trying to bring back those blue ocean consumers, and frankly I could see this flopping big time for them. I also think they have a terrible attitude in terms of competition. The fact is even if they find a new "blue ocean" market like they hope, they will always have to deal with competition. So when they find this new market, and those competitors release their own products, is Nintendo going to abandon that route and go towards a different market again? I mean what a bizarre business strategy or philosophy in general.

Guevara

A startup doesn't stand a chance against the resources and marketing power of a giant like Nintendo.

In fact what you say is a perfect reason for Nintendo to enter the market. It's a hot area and there's thousands of apps, but it's all random and chaotic and thus fairly inaccessible. A dedicated health platform that offers comprehensive health products, that's an easy proposition for the consumer to understand and thus more likely to buy. They just need the right quality of product and pricing and the killer app to get people to go out and buy it.

Wait... are you serious?

You don't need to buy a phone that regularly, especially not for apps. And If your data is that expensive, it's time to change carriers. This is like the smartphone equivalent of people complaining about $3000 PCs.

Riki

... What I'm reading from this is that Iwata's strategy is to "jump off the deep end."
Not really. It's just making the "dirty dirty casual crap" that people here hate its own cheaper platform instead of putting it on their consoles.
Seems perfect to me.

Huff

Banned

The problem is that people already have these products and apps (which usually are free) which all interact with each other.

Nintendo can't even figure out an account system.

Who knows what the next big thing will be in 2015 and 2016, which odds are it's not going to be whatever nintendo is thinking. Because by making up words and not giving up details, it's reasonable to think that nintendo might not know where they are going with this

Tuck

It always surprised me that Nintendo never tried to go in a more entertainment focused direction - not just videogames, but movies, toys, tv shows, etc - like Disney, basically. They have really recognizable IPs. Instead they are doing this health thing now? Thats so weird, and it seems counter to what the company has always been about.

Plus, do they really have the resources for it? They already struggle to support two consoles at once. Can they support another pillar like this?

Can't say I'm eager to see what they have in store. I just want games.

Riki

It always surprised me that Nintendo never tried to go in a more entertainment focused direction - not just videogames, but movies, toys, tv shows, etc - like Disney, basically. They have really recognizable IPs. Instead they are doing this health thing now? Thats so weird, and it seems counter to what the company has always been about.

Plus, do they really have the resources for it? They already struggle to support two consoles at once. Can they support another pillar like this?

Iwata said last night they would be licensing out their franchises for more things (which would include toys, shows, books ect).

And they don't need to dedicate more resources to this. They already have teams making these kinds of games and apps.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I'm ok with this as long as it means more unification and better online services.

Wiifit never reached its potential because of the lack if service integration. Now things like fitbit that do it well are popular.

Hahahahaha, Nintendo just admitted they can't market two platforms at once in an area they have been at for the past 30 years. Nintendo is as a marketing power is hilarious right now. We're supposed to believe Nintendo is suddenly going to enter a new field with immense competiton and be amazing? Where is this weird faith coming from for a company that has been so inept?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Hahahahaha, Nintendo just admitted they can't market two platforms at once in an area they have been at for the past 30 years. Nintendo is as a marketing power is hilarious right now. We're supposed to believe Nintendo is suddenly going to enter a new field with immense competiton and be amazing? Where is this weird faith coming from for a company that has been so inept?

Yup. And an industry service centered. Nintendos weakest aspect. Which is why I think at least it might be a good start.

lenovox1

The problem is that people already have these products and apps (which usually are free) which all interact with each other.

Nintendo can't even figure out an account system.

The main problem with these things is that they don't interact with each other in any meaningful way. You have a thousand different apps for a thousand different things that plug into a thousand different proprietary networks.

But you are certainly right about the account system part.

Dunlop

It's nice to want things

I have no faith in Nintendo under it's current management to do anything but sink lower

I´ll continue doing this until someone actually watches it. ^^

Miyamoto is a major if not the major force behind this. He is not jumping ship (lol), because this is his baby. He is a strong force behind Nintendo venturing into education and "general enter- and infotainment" over the past 6 years. Just watch the direct of the louvre app to get a glimpse at what a future nintendo is planning. Or even better, download it. It´s excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WavLP_3ew-A

They won´t just enter health-apps. They will take something existing and take it to a new market, health is first, learning and lifestyle will follow over the years. Of course everything in strong cooperation with their gaming business. I have never seen a thread filled with fear about Snake being killed by a treadmill. The same won´t happen here. If anything this will guarantee them to make games in the future if this adventure proofs successfull. They said numerous times that they won´t enter the suicidal fight in the AAA business, since gaming is their only source of income and AAA titles are too much of a risk with enormous investments.

Tuck

Iwata said last night they would be licensing out their franchises for more things (which would include toys, shows, books ect).

And they don't need to dedicate more resources to this. They already have teams making these kinds of games and apps.

I know what he said, but I'm not sure on what scale it will happen. Ideally, a large scale. But if all he means was more games like Hyrule Warriors, well thats not quite what I had in mind (Though its by no means a bad decision).

As for the second point, they will need to devote more resources to it otherwise it is a change in name only.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I have never seen a thread filled with fear about Snake being killed by a treadmill.

Ah, the Konami thats radically reduced its game operations to MGS, PES, and the occasional old IP they throw Mercury Steam's way?

I'm sure "struggling to supply two platforms concurrently" Nintendo will do miraculously with three.

HeelPower

I imagine if you want to put out health products of your own you need to back it up with research.

This is an expensive and long process.Nintendo should just expand into massive mobile market in Japan and make it back on track with the console race by having adequately powerful and desirable consoles.

The Technomancer

I'll say this: Nintendo, especially in the last decade, is good at coming up with ideas that seem completely out of left field. No-one has really been able to predict what they'll do before they do it. So far that's led to two huge successes, one moderate success, and one failure. But if they do go into the QOL market it will probably be with something very weird, and that might be just what they need to be successful.

Or maybe not. Either way, I expect it will be interesting

Guevara

Nintendo Slides said:
Nintendo is not a resource-rich company, with only a little more than 5,000 employees on a consolidated basis. We cannot achieve a strong presence by imitating others and simply competing in terms of size.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/index.html
WSJ Summary of Q&A said:
Responding to a reporter’s question as to why sales were weak overseas while relatively strong in Japan, Mr. Iwata says the company’s marketing got divided between pushing for 3DS and Wii U console and in the end both never “exploded.” “This was the worst year-end shopping season since I became president. We need to rebuild as soon as possible,” he says.
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/01/29/live-nintendos-strategy-briefing-to-address-future-direction/

So, Nintendo isn't a resource rich company that can throw it's size around to compete in a new market. And Nintendo can't even manage to advertise their current two platforms.

Just to be really really clear: This is Nintendo, admitting, to investors yesterday that they aren't resource-rich and won't behave like they are. And admitting that their anemic marketing hasn't been enough to support even two gaming platforms.

Actually they are doing exactly that. "Licencing IPs so you will see them outside of classic videogames" / "being less protective with IPs". People here focus too much on the health thing. Iwata announced much more. You just have to read it. It´s all there.

The Technomancer

You don't need to buy a phone that regularly, especially not for apps. And If your data is that expensive, it's time to change carriers. This is like the smartphone equivalent of people complaining about $3000 PCs.

This is really a tangent now but all the various carriers I'm looking at are describing $80 for the "low data plan" and the "high use" plans are like $120. Apparently the way to make it affordable is to use a family plan, but no-one else in my family is interested in getting smartphones

lenovox1

I imagine if you want to put out health products of your own you need to back it up with research.

This, at the very least, they have been doing. See Wii Fit, Vitality Sensor, and I believe I read somewhere in this thread that they've partnered up with a major Japanese university. Especially if they're going into this thing with some sort of partner, I wouldn't be worried about that element so much.

lenovox1

This is really a tangent now but all the various carriers I'm looking at are describing $80 for the "low data plan" and the "high use" plans are like $120. Apparently the way to make it affordable is to use a family plan, but no-one else in my family is interested in getting smartphones

You're looking at the wrong carriers. You should point your nose towards MVNOs. Places like Ting, Walmart Family Mobile, Straight Talk, Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile, etc. Even T-Mobile has a $50, 500MB "high speed data" cap postpaid plan, and other inexpensive Pay As You Go options.

Well... all of this it´s fine Nintendo, but... how helps this to sell Wii U?

The casual, QoL gamers might want a deeper experience that only the Wii U will be able to provide?

The Wii U is a lost cause in it's current form. They wouldn't be announcing a new platform 18+ months in advance if it wasn't.

Top Bottom